NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 922 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Top Gun Maverick 9.5+/10

This must be the most difficult movie ever made by miles, TC was right that you can't CGI/fake speed and G force, and this movie was made to enjoy in the theater. Points reduction is still a signature TC movie and too similar to OG.

Connelly is still a breathtaking babe.

For sure will go watch in theater again.

Last edited:

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Spiderman: Far From Home - 9/10

This surprised me. I wouldn't say I am a big "superhero" movie fan, I really didn't like the Avengers Infinity War and End Game movies and wasn't actively seeking to watch this but randomly did.

I wasn't feeling this movie at all through the first third of it. I was chalking it up to being a movie aimed heavily towards the younger audience, zoomers and whatnot, that just wasn't for me and was considering bailing but stuck with it. When things eventually did change up midway through the movie I really started liking it.

Yes the plot is pretty far fetched but I didn't really care, it's a superhero movie so things will be a little crazy. I thought they nailed the portrayal of Peter Parker, the best so far.

A couple of problems I did have with the movie:
I didn't buy that Mysterio's crew would be so evil and quick to carry out orders to murder some innocent teenagers, I understand that Mysterio "sort of" had them at hostage but they seemed more than willing to just go with it. I also had a hard time wrapping my head around how the drones were casting the illusions, yes the monsters were "fake" but they were doing some structural damage in their attacks so I just don't understand what was supposed to be going on. It just seems to me that even with awesome technology it would've been insanely hard to pull off those illusion attacks as spotless as they did.
I did love:
The part where they put Spiderman in the illusion, freakin awesome!

Overall I thought it was great. I didn't much care for the Amazing Spiderman movies so this was quite a surprise.

Last edited:

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Damn it!

RIP Ray.
:(

Goodfellas the best movie he ever made.

To this day I remember that I got the Goodfellas DVD as a Christmas gift in the late 00s, for whatever reason I never saw the film up to that point. I was blown away at how awesome it was, after I got done watching it all I could wonder is why in the world did it take me almost 20 years to watch this masterpiece lol.

Reactions: pcgeek11

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
In light of Top Gun Maverick getting such glowing reviews, I decided to watch Top Gun for the first time. Now, I know this will shock and surprise, but it's a good movie. Looking forward to seeing Maverick now.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
In light of Top Gun Maverick getting such glowing reviews, I decided to watch Top Gun for the first time. Now, I know this will shock and surprise, but it's a good movie. Looking forward to seeing Maverick now.

There are definitely a ton of references to the original movie so that was good you did that....

I would rate TG:Maverick around 9...I can't wait to watch this on my home setup though...

Jul 27, 2020
Obi Wan Kenobi Ep1: Promising start with the Star Wars feel but Leia looks much younger than 10.

Memory: Liam Neeson is getting oldddddd and seemingly taking every crap movie coming his way. What did he get himself into? I know De Niro got poor paying for his wife's expensive handbags and losses from restaurants.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
can someone explain in simple terms what Stranger Thing is about ? All i get from the trailers is that it's about kids on bikes.

Jul 27, 2020
can someone explain in simple terms what Stranger Thing is about ? All i get from the trailers is that it's about kids on bikes.

The Duffer Brothers developed Stranger Things as a mix of investigative drama alongside supernatural elements portrayed with horror, science fiction and childlike sensibilities. Setting the series in the 1980s, the Duffer Brothers infused references to the pop culture of that decade while several themes and directorial aspects were inspired primarily by the works of Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, Stephen King and H. P. Lovecraft, as well as anime and video games. They also took inspiration from strange experiments that took place during the Cold War and real world conspiracy theories involving secret government experiments.

If you enjoy watching stuff about those things, you will like it.

Great summation by JujuFish by the way.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Werewolves Within 7/10
A who done it or a who is it might be a better way tot put it. Didn't know it was based on a game when I watched it. A few people all of which are eccentric get trapped in a small mountain town during a snow storm when something starts killing. Fun cute little movie. On showtime.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow 5/10
Another werewolf movie. Another small mountain town being terrorized by a killer. The main character is a cop and a huge asshole which is the biggest problem with the movie. Prime.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Obi-Wan 8 / 10

Pretty good so far through the first two episodes.

Ewin McGregor's performance is killing it so far, although he's one of my favorite actors. Moses Ingram as Reva not so much.....so far pretty flat acting and her lines/emotions/delivery are kind of soap opera-ish. And young Leia so far has been a little over-the-top kind of like Jake Lloyd was as Anakin.

But it could be that's how the director wanted them to be, so hopefully Reva will become a little more believable as an out-of-control baddie going forward.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000

Ever play "Half Life"? Half of it is like that but with kids. Then the big bad from "It" enters the scene.

Obi-Wan is a winner so far and "Strange New Worlds" was pretty good this week. So much better than "Discovery". Hope it keeps up.

Reactions: Kaido
Jul 27, 2020
3rd episode of Stranger Things S04. They have everything down to a formula. They could keep making this forever and it would still be worth watching.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
my god, the explanations here have still left me confused.

So, it's goonies, but creepy. Kids on bikes that see weird shit like monsters. Do they fight these monsters? Is there a plotline that starts, and then there is an antagonist, and they win at the end? or is it just kids being scared and a ton of fluff and nothing happens?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
my god, the explanations here have still left me confused.

So, it's goonies, but creepy. Kids on bikes that see weird shit like monsters. Do they fight these monsters? Is there a plotline that starts, and then there is an antagonist, and they win at the end? or is it just kids being scared and a ton of fluff and nothing happens?

Just watch it. It's really good.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I watched it again on Thursday for the first time in over a decade and my wife had never seen it. The movie is alright nothing special at all. And really, like not much happens at all. There just is not much to the movie.

And the way Goose dies is just silly. I mean dude has his helmet on and barely hits his head on the glass as he's ejecting, and he dies? I didn't remember exactly how that had happened but seeing it again was just a head scratcher.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I watched it again on Thursday for the first time in over a decade and my wife had never seen it. The movie is alright nothing special at all. And really, like not much happens at all. There just is not much to the movie.

And the way Goose dies is just silly. I mean dude has his helmet on and barely hits his head on the glass as he's ejecting, and he dies? I didn't remember exactly how that had happened but seeing it again was just a head scratcher.

Err yeah, helmet is not going to help your neck. Ejection seats are pretty violent. The flat spin messed with where the canopy is supposed to be by the time the ejection seat fires. Apparently this has happend to a Tomcat crew in real life.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Err yeah, helmet is not going to help your neck. Ejection seats are pretty violent. The flat spin messed with where the canopy is supposed to be by the time the ejection seat fires. Apparently this has happend to a Tomcat crew in real life.
Gotcha. Still seemed kinda silly, especially during a training mission.

Tom Crusie's shitty acting the whole movie, especially during the whole "lets try to be sad" part after he died didn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.