NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 921 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i endured the truly atrocious The Death Of Dick Long - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9356952/reference/

TDODL is a competently filmed, well acted piece of garbage that tells the story of a southern community slowly unravelling the truth about redneck Richard Long's untimely demise - he got himself buttfucked by a horse, to death.
Virginia Newcombe has the main role (if not the most screentime) as Long's friend's wife; the scene where she is being told the truth is, well, realistic. Which is what is really weird about this film. It's well made.
See, in theory TDODL is a dark-humor comedy / drama, but it takes itse;f suuuuuuuper seriously, for having an absolutely shit script. There is no tension whatsoever. The choice to make the death a comedy - complete with Roy Wood Jr delivering the line ".. from a horse" with his trademark Sad Face, is puzzling, and doesn't pay. If we are going to invest ourselves into a real human drama, it must be something relatable. I don't see anything but the mundane in a man chasing the glory of the world's widest gape, and TDODL is just a film about a story that happened, and that's it. There is nothing remarkable about it, there is no great, hidden existential meaning, no life lesson that really needed to be put on screen.
Instead we are just left ot watch mundane characters go about their mundane business for a story that holds no special meaning. Why anyone thought this was a script worth putting on film, is beyond me.

At least Swiss Army Man was fun.

My vote: 5.5/10

*when i wrote about Swiss Army Man, i didnt know it was from the same director*

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The weirdest scene was I think where he explains what sex is to his little daughter and her response.
tbh, the scene where they are driving and he's talking on the phone, and then the daughter wants to know what the words he used mean ("ASAP"), then he doesnt want to answer and turns the music up, and the daughter is really upset ... yeah, daughter take the prize for best actress in this film.

• Love
Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Star Trek: Strange New World S01E01 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12327578/reference/

slow and over-complicated.

They are obviously trying to recreate the magic of TOS but fail completely by putting in too much unneeded expository dialogue, too serious moral dilemma, too much holier-than-thou attitude, and a exceptionally-diverse yet bland cast of characters.
To top it off, neither Pyke nor Spock have any of the charisma their predecessors had.

6/10 - it's not bad, it's mediocre.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Star Trek: Brave New World S01E02

"to boldly go, where no one(sic) has gone before"

The first eight minutes are a social dinner event.

I'm done.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
for a comparison, i am watching AXE COP - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2497834/reference/

and there is more content in 4 minutes of a 10min episode, that in most of an entire 40min STBNW episode.
Co-written by Ethan Nicolle, and his five-year-old brother, Malachai, the pacing is perfect.
open scene 1, laboratory, internal. goons break down the door and abduct Scientist
scientist: "where are you taking me"
scene 2, hidden bunker. the goons remove the kidnapping hood from Scientist
Scientist: "Adolf Hitler! i knew it was you"
Hitler: "of course you did - you are the world's most smart scientist"
Scientist: "but i will not help you"
Hitler: "yes you will, you will build me an army. an evil army. an evil army of zombies, on zombie island, IN SPACE"
scene 3, zombie island, in space

..etc

People who write and direct filsm should understand the difference between a film and a fucking DOCUMENTARY. We need action, suspense, and most important, can't be allowed too much time to poke holes in the story; modern writers seem to try to work against this, constantly putting in shallow, boring expository dialogue that serves to justify why THE HERO needs to KILL THE DRAGON, without realizing that we don't fucking need that, the very concept that one is a HERO and the other is a DRAGON are sufficient.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Star Trek: Strange New World S01E01 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12327578/reference/

slow and over-complicated.

They are obviously trying to recreate the magic of TOS but fail completely by putting in too much unneeded expository dialogue, too serious moral dilemma, too much holier-than-thou attitude, and a exceptionally-diverse yet bland cast of characters.
To top it off, neither Pyke nor Spock have any of the charisma their predecessors had.

6/10 - it's not bad, it's mediocre.

I watched it for free on YouTube... it wasn't half bad. Has potential, anyway.

You would think that for a show that basically has every race and gender combination possible in the cast, they would have tried to have a few more aliens in the crew. I mean, this is a science fiction show in the future, anyway. Tell CBS to try a bit harder accurately recreate 23rd century Starfleet, and not 21st century downtown San Francisco.

Reactions: DigDog

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
‘Winning Time-The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty’ is really good. John C. Reilly is really good in this series and I am totally hooked on the show. Maybe not exactly historically accurate but it is very entertaining and a must watch if you’re a Lakers fan.

Side note: I was at the Forum for the last game Magic Johnson played against Larry Bird.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The new Bosch is just OK.
It lacks the intrigue and urgency of the original series.
Of course, the original series started great and slowly went downhill. I wonder if they just used up all their best ideas.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Matrix 4 - 7/10
I like the concept of it and think it is worthy aftermath of the trilogy but I HATE the directing and planning of it. It should be at least a 2 part if not another trilogy. It felt so rushed, I can't remember ANY of the crew members including the Captain. And the director tries too hard to draw parallels to the OG and tries too hard to bring back old characters.

The fight scene is a mess compared to the OG and the depower Neo.....wtf.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Just finished Serverance over a few days. Gets a 10/10 from me.

It's like Office Space, Black Mirror, Twilight Zone and a Phillip K Dick novel all mixed in one with very relevant themes for the modern world.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Did you know that Terminator 2 had an alternate ending where everyone lived happily ever after? I didn't.

While it's not a great ending, it would have made making all of those terrible sequels more difficult. For that reason alone, I wish that they kept it.

Reactions: purbeast0

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Senior Year 6.5/10
I was forced to watch this, and didn't mind. Rebel Wilson just knows how to make me laugh.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Testament 1983 (rewatched) Nuclear holocaust flick.

John And The Hole 2021 Strange kid drugs his family and tosses them all in a hole (unfinished bomb shelter foundation). They can't get out. Walls too tall. Kid takes over the family SUV and dads credit cards. Not that good of a film but does qualify for weird.

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner 1967 (rewatched)
The times I had watched this movie before I never noticed the line from Katharine Hepburn, "She's a good one", when asked if she liked John's mother. She's a good one? Good one what?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Better Call Saul S6, E7. Major Spoilers.

Wow. I was not expecting Howard to get taken out. I feel so bad from him, he never deserved it. :( My view of Jimmy and Kim are forever changed. Howard was so right on the money.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Better Call Saul S6, E7. Major Spoilers.

That was a very intense mid-season finale. It was driving me nuts on what exactly "the plan" was, but seeing what happens was pretty intense.

It's gonna be tough for them to top that for the series finale, but I'm sure they will do it since the writing and characters are amazing.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
That was a very intense mid-season finale. It was driving me nuts on what exactly "the plan" was, but seeing what happens was pretty intense.

It's gonna be tough for them to top that for the series finale, but I'm sure they will do it since the writing and characters are amazing.

Wow. Just wow. I had to try to go to bed immediately after watching that...

Reactions: UsandThem

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Supernature - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19885626/reference/

Ricky Gervais' latest Netflix standup special.

Don't take this the wrong way, but, he's been getting progressively less funny. Not as much of a dive as, say, Russell Peters, who went from hysterical to lukewarm to depressing within 3 shows, but nonetheless, if you are familiar with his previous work, you'll find this more phoned in, still vaguely funny and maybe a couple of really solid jokes, but the spark doesn't shine quite as much.
I did love his bit at the Oscars Golden Globes, though. I guess he needs to be in jeopardy, to feel that he could crash, to really deliver.

6/10

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Ricky Gervais
His Golden Globes performances were pretty good. His written and directed "The invention of lying" is almost pure genius. "The Office", just don't get that. Guess I'm not attuned to Brit humor, or maybe his particular style of Brit humor. Also, a lot of times in interviews I see him laughing at his own jokes and I'm thinking, "Nope. Not as funny as much as you seem to think it is".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched The Banker - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6285944/reference/

a fairly decent period drama starring Anthony Mackie (Falcon from Capt America) and co-starring Samuel Mother****r Jackson and Nicholas Hoult (Nux from Fury Road).
Set in early 60s Texas, it's the story of one of the nation's first wealthy blacks, who, due to Jim Crow laws, has to hide behind a white man fronting for his business.
It's a well acted, fairly engaging financial caper, and while Jackson can't help but chew the scenery, the rest of the cast deliver in a convincing manner.
All in all not a terrible waste of 1 1/2 hours.

7/10

Reactions: igor_kavinski

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Stand (2020) 7/10

I never watched the 90s series, so I didn't know the story and it was new to me.

I really think while not hugely different than all the various good vs. evil stories out there, I really enjoyed the series. A couple of the characters were over the top, but overall the casting was pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.