NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 920 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
why do you do this

Even my wife who likes movies like 2012, Day After Tomorrow, and even the dog Geostorm. o_O

After watching Moonfall, she said "That movie was really, really bad. I wish I had picked a different movie to rent".

The acting, the plot, the writing, the pacing......just everything single thing about that movie sucked big time.

And Halle Berry's son in the movie...........I haven't seen that bad of a child actor since Jake Lloyd in the Phantom Menace. :eek:

Jul 27, 2020
I haven't seen that bad of a child actor since Jake Lloyd in the Phantom Menace. :eek:
For the sake of authenticity, they couldn't just have a brilliant child actor and then have him grow up to be played by the fabulously wooden Hayden Christensen. They needed the continuity. Or, Lucas is just bad at working alone without his ex-wife's guidance (who has more of a hand in how good the original trilogy turned out than most people know).

Truly a remarkable woman.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
FYI, some fairly shocking news from our side of the pond.

As you know, the current Doctor Who is not doing well, with Jodie Witthaker as the titular character. Some HATERS on youtube have claimed that this is because of the SJW agenda.
Ignore the hundreds of well-thought-out videos that explain that the show's writing is absolute shit
1652024793395.jpeg
Instead the showrunner, in his infinite wisdom, has undestood the truth, that Witthaker is JUST NOT WOKE ENOUGH, and what we really want, us, the audience, what we NEED, is a black, gay doctor. https://www.google.com/search?q=new+doctor+who
FINALLY someone who understands the kind of character that middleschool-aged British children can really relate to.

• Haha
Reactions: ultimatebob

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
thinking back to Moon Knight
at the very end, Steven/Mark are about to get fucked. There's nothing they can do, and then the "moon knight rage" takes over, and BAM, Ethan Hawke is dead and they have won.
This sucks.

I was caught up in the show being actually good, and didn't think about it too much, but man does it fucking suck.

See, earlier on - during the first and second episode - they use this technique to show that poor ol' steven is not as much of a weakling as he thinks he is; surrounded by goons, he has no way out, panics, blacks out, and MARk/MOONKNIGHT take over, and all we see, as the audience, is the hero coming back from the blackout, and the strewn-about murdered bodies of the enemies, and we are told-but-not-told that he did it, foreshadowing the brutal violence which this character is capable of.

That's ok. That's cool. It's both great visually and as a storytelling tool, but it only works because they, the bad guys, are mooks. Nameless, faceless bodies whose sole purpose is to be slaughtered by the hero.

You can't do the same with the antagonist of the show. I mean, ok, we know that in the end the bad guy has to lose, but you can write it in any way you want. As a matter of fact (which i have no research to back up) most "hero vs badguy" fights wind up with the bad guy either killing himself, or somehow dying through accident/stupidity/own evil ways. It's considered bad form to have the hero *actually kill* the bad guy, because it works better as a moral of the story if we show that "evil always fails".
So, just have the usual "..and in the end, the bad guy falls from the roof, and gets impaled on a spike" kind of ending.

But to have the hero kill the bad guy, OFF CAMERA, is, man, it's some next level anti-climactic shit. They really win the prize on this one.

i still liked it, tbh. Ethan Hawke can't do bad acting if he tried.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Even my wife who likes movies like 2012, Day After Tomorrow, and even the dog Geostorm. o_O

After watching Moonfall, she said "That movie was really, really bad. I wish I had picked a different movie to rent".

The acting, the plot, the writing, the pacing......just everything single thing about that movie sucked big time.

And Halle Berry's son in the movie...........I haven't seen that bad of a child actor since Jake Lloyd in the Phantom Menace. :eek:
So what did she say about After Earth? That movie was the bottom of the barrel for me along with District 9.

Jul 27, 2020

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
So what did she say about After Earth? That movie was the bottom of the barrel for me along with District 9.
She didn't think it was a great movie by any means, but she still thought After Earth was entertaining and decent. :oops:

As for me, as bad as I remember After Earth being, if I had to pick between After Earth and Moonfall to watch again (only at gun point of course), I'd go with After Earth.

• Wow
Reactions: Puffnstuff

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
As you know, the current Doctor Who is not doing well, with Jodie Witthaker as the titular character. Some HATERS on youtube have claimed that this is because of the SJW agenda.
Ignore the hundreds of well-thought-out videos that explain that the show's writing is absolute shit
View attachment 61219
Instead the showrunner, in his infinite wisdom, has undestood the truth, that Witthaker is JUST NOT WOKE ENOUGH, and what we really want, us, the audience, what we NEED, is a black, gay doctor. https://www.google.com/search?q=new+doctor+who
FINALLY someone who understands the kind of character that middleschool-aged British children can really relate to.
How did they explain the 13th doctor when timelords only have 12 lives?
how are they going to explain the 14th doctor?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
AFAIK they have 13 regenerations, and one could play the "oh no we didnt explain ourselves correctly" card and that it means they have 14 lives.

But then again, the series is so completely fucked, they can just throw whatever idiotic explanation they want, the people who actually cared about the show are long gone anyways.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hillbilly Elegy 6 / 10

I had this in my Netflix watchlist for a few years, and I finally decided to watch it.

I knew it had to do with heroin and Appalachian people.

However, I had no idea it was about people who moved from BFE Kentucky towns who moved to Middletown. Outside of joining the Marines and then going to Yale, that entire movie really was eerily similar to what I dealt with growing up (both sets of my grandparents were born and lived in Kentucky, and then one of them moved to Cincinnati and the other ones moved to Middletown).

Crazy how that movie made me think about a lot of things I really tried to forget. :oops:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
They had 13 lives, 12 regenerations. Any way we know that the current doctor is at least regeneration 15, and maybe more (there has been a few known off camera regenerations- the War Doctor for example).

They have explained it several different ways that I know of.
1. The 13 limit is a rule imposed by Gallifrey. Gallifrey is gone, and so are the rules. All remaining Timelords now have unlimited regeneration potential, if they can get the energy.
2. The Timelords needed The Doctor to do something for them and paid him by giving him a whole bunch of regeneration energy, enough for at least 12 more lives.
3. The Doctor is as surprised as the rest of us that they regenerated again. They don't know why either (This might be resolved by plot point 1, since the Doctor seemed unaware that Gallifrey was missing when this was explained.)

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I like S1 alot better, if 3 kids can "drive" a Jaeger and kick a lot of kaiju butts then Earth likely won't get to that point.
Weren't most of the kaiju they were fighting in season 2 lower tiers?

Season one had Copperhead as a tier 4 much like most we saw in the first movie and they had trouble with that a lot since it's not a very strong mech.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Winning Time - 7.5/10 (10-episodes)

HBO presents the '79-'80 LA Lakers NBA Season. New owner, new coach, Magic Johsnon as the new rookie player and it all makes for a compelling show.

Entertaining, plenty of T&A, nice touches of 3rd person introspective, absolute beautiful filming and period set-pieces.

Jason Clarke as Jerry West was magnificent. You felt his pain in every episode, truly a tortured soul and Clarke played the character amazingly well.

Plenty of liberties were taken, the series is "based" on events but its quite fictional.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
FYI, some fairly shocking news from our side of the pond.

View attachment 61219

It was really weird watching her trying to channel Tennant.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Constantine - 5.5/10

I normally love these sorts of movies and I will admit that there are some lovely scenes like the howling winds of the the hellscape. Fairly imaginative demons too. And there's Tilda Swinton. So cute [the way you pronounce that is that you draw out the 'u' and quickly go up about 5 octaves. If you can actually do that, try it as a bird call. I just made one up today by whistling and 3 curious birds came looking for the intruder. So you would go cuuuuuuuuute . . cute, cute, cute . . . cuuuuute]

But the bottom line is that it's sort of boring. Peter Stomare as Satan was pretty decent and I love Reeves in most of his movies. He's sort of a cross between Clint Eastwood and Tilda. Who names their kid after a punctuation mark?

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
The Gentlemen Netflix 8.5/10

Great cast, acting, dialogue, sets and story. May not be everyones cup of tea but very entertaining if you get into it. Sort of an Elmore Leonard book combined with Goodfellows in England. Normally dont like McConnoughay (?) but he is OK in this maybe because of the supporting cast. Directed by Guy Richie.

Reactions: deustroop
Status
Not open for further replies.