NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 910 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020
I find myself watching movies/tv shows almost more for the people in them, then the actual story.
Sometimes, I do that too, if someone I really like is in them but most of the times, the story needs to be acceptable otherwise even the best people can't save a bad movie from ruining my mood.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
either something's really wrong with my brain, or Belfast - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12789558/reference/
is shit.

The latest Kenneth Branagh film, it "tells the story", if we can say that, of a kid growing up in Belfast during The Troubles. And it's really boring.
Exciting things that happen during this film:
1. the kid steals candy from a cornershop
2. a man punches another man (with epic walkaway music included)
3. man and wife argue

And of course it's all in B&W because THERE WAS NO COLOUR TELEVISION IN 1969 !!!

Tying this all together is an ensemble of uninteresting characters such as Wife(tm) and Guy Who Does Not Want To Get Involved(tm), and Preacher(tm). wow.
It's criminal to even label this as a "coming of age drama" while the supposedly protagonist, the young boy, watches events unfold around him, not understanding them, and has NO. CHARACTER. ARC. at all during the film.

Makes Nightmare Alley look like a masterpiece.

5.something/10

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Billions - 9/10
Inventing Anna - 9/10

Billions is just fantastic, 6 seasons and it just gets better each season. Check it out on Showtime or available to stream on Amazon Prime.

Inventing Anna is also very good. Julia Garner is incredible in this, the entire cast is actually.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I watched The Batman yesterday. It was pretty good, but not very good or great, and too long.

Nov 29, 2006
Billions - 9/10
Inventing Anna - 9/10

Billions is just fantastic, 6 seasons and it just gets better each season. Check it out on Showtime or available to stream on Amazon Prime.

Inventing Anna is also very good. Julia Garner is incredible in this, the entire cast is actually.

"What's the point of having fuck you money, if you never say fuck you?"
Billions is amazing.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) 6 / 10

I almost gave up on it within the first 5 minutes because of all the political debates/ arguments they were throwing in there pretty much non-stop, but I figured I'd give it another 10 minutes to see if they would focus on what typical slasher films should be. Thankfully they decided to then turn and focus on making it an actual horror movie.

Thankfully Leatherface eventually shows up and all the hipsters stop talking. :p

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm watching season 3 of Succession during my HBO free trial on Xfinity, and I suddenly came to the realization that I don't really care who "wins" this corporate power struggle anymore. Every freaking character in this show is a selfish self-centered asshole. There really isn't any "good guy" to root for here.

I'll probably still finish watching it, but the "love" is gone for me. I guess that I can root for all of them to end up in prison, so season 4 will be more like Orange Is The New Black :)

I had the same problem with season 1 of Yellowstone. The Duttons were evil, the Indian tribe was evil, the land developer guy was evil, and the government was crooked and corrupt. Again, no "good guy" to root for here.

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I'm watching season 3 of Succession during my HBO free trial on Xfinity, and I suddenly came to the realization that I don't really care who "wins" this corporate power struggle anymore. Every freaking character in this show is a selfish self-centered asshole. There really isn't any "good guy" to root for here.

I'll probably still finish watching it, but the "love" is gone for me.

I had the same problem with season 1 of Yellowstone. The Duttons were evil, the Indian tribe was evil, the land developer guy was evil, and the government was crooked and corrupt. Again, no "good guy" to root for here.

Thank you for the comment about Yellowstone , I was going to look at it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) 6 / 10

I almost gave up on it within the first 5 minutes because of all the political debates/ arguments they were throwing in there pretty much non-stop, but I figured I'd give it another 10 minutes to see if they would focus on what typical slasher films should be. Thankfully they decided to then turn and focus on making it an actual horror movie.

Thankfully Leatherface eventually shows up and all the hipsters stop talking. :p
can you show me on the doll where the politics touched you?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
can you show me on the doll where the politics touched you?
Mainly my nerves/brain, but my butt was a little sore as well. ;)

I get that politics are in everything anymore. They don't need to be in Texas Chainsaw Massacre / Friday The 13th / Nightmare On Elm Street slasher movies. Those are for killing / depravity. Although it took a while to get to it, the payoff was pretty satisfying:

193cab93375e3b09fce16bb3f1109d86b27b6041.gifv

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Turning Red was a cute coming-of-age story and a good cartoon kid movie. Great animation as expected from Pixar, but they pushed the "overprotective Asian parent" stereotype a bit hard.

I'd give a 7/10. My 9 year old liked it, too! It was nice to be able to watch something with her on Disney+ that didn't trigger my gag reflex.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Turning Red was a cute coming-of-age story and a good cartoon kid movie. Great animation as expected from Pixar, but they pushed the "overprotective Asian parent" stereotype a bit hard.

I'd give a 7/10. My 9 year old liked it, too! It was nice to be able to watch something with her on Disney+ that didn't trigger my gag reflex.
I somehow missed the fact that this is a Pixar movie. I guess I'll check it out in that case.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000

:)

I think that is kind of the whole point.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
egged on by my friend, i watched again Inglourious Basterds - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/reference/

and thought it was pretty damn mediocre. I frankly do not care for Tarantino creating characters out of real people, when these exist in a context that has nothing to do with the story in the film, more so when they are unknowns. Like, who the fuck knows in 2009 who George Sanders is.
And the story is just any of your average B&W war film, or it would be, if the film could manage to keep a tone, something that's too basic for Tarantino to do.
The dialogue is meh, the acting is meh, i would honestly, and im not joking here, watch Brad Pitt in World War Z than as this character.
The guy who plays Landa was much, much better in Django, but the very character of Landa is, somehow, supposed to be evil, but it comes across as a caricature, almost buffoonish.

The firefights are cool. There's maybe 2 of them and they last 10 seconds each.

The hook of the guy ordering beer in the wrong way is so stupid im not even gonna explain it.

idk, there's not much left. I was surprised at Mike Myers managing his role calmly and not completely fucking it up.

i rate it six meh out of 10 whoos

Reactions: deustroop

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Shawshank Redemption, Netflix 9/10

I had forgotten how great a movie this is. And of course Morgan Freeman is such a great actor.

Reactions: soulcougher73

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
egged on by my friend, i watched again Inglourious Basterds - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/reference/

and thought it was pretty damn mediocre. I frankly do not care for Tarantino creating characters out of real people, when these exist in a context that has nothing to do with the story in the film, more so when they are unknowns. Like, who the fuck knows in 2009 who George Sanders is.
And the story is just any of your average B&W war film, or it would be, if the film could manage to keep a tone, something that's too basic for Tarantino to do.
The dialogue is meh, the acting is meh, i would honestly, and im not joking here, watch Brad Pitt in World War Z than as this character.
The guy who plays Landa was much, much better in Django, but the very character of Landa is, somehow, supposed to be evil, but it comes across as a caricature, almost buffoonish.

The firefights are cool. There's maybe 2 of them and they last 10 seconds each.

The hook of the guy ordering beer in the wrong way is so stupid im not even gonna explain it.

idk, there's not much left. I was surprised at Mike Myers managing his role calmly and not completely fucking it up.

i rate it six meh out of 10 whoos

This is wrong on so many levels I'm not even gonna explain it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
This is wrong on so many levels I'm not even gonna explain it.
idk, i watched it 3 times, the first time it sucked, the second time it sucked, the third time it sucked. frankly if i have to watch a tarantino film, i'd rather watch pulp fiction.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again, i think QT is a flash in the pan. You see, i'm one of those rare few who thinks that Reservoir Dogs was just ok.

My review title for Pulp Fiction is "the most important film ever made".

and that's about it. Kill Bill was cute, and because i personally like the subject of the film - old Kung Fu films - i give it a pass on many otherwise bad things. It's not all bad, there are some really good things about it, the scenes with Budd, the scenes with Vivica Fox and Daryl Hannah, but even here QT starts showing that he's too full of himself and is forgetting about the basics.

i cannot think of a single scene in PF that is one beat off; in KB, it's ALL off. You are a smrt man, surely you understand things such as comedic timing. Or the dramatic equivalent.

Honestly i thought Once .. Hollywood was pretty good for being a QT film; and Brad Pitt and Leo DiCaprio can act, specially now that they don't have JUST ONE SCENE IN THE WHOLE FILM, so they do a good job and maybe QT had an assistant director that did actor direction for him.

Jackie Brown is okaish but not a film i'd like to watch again, coming from a person that casually sat through All The President's Men for the third time, and everything else QT made has been bad, not BAD bad, not Michael Bay bad, but pretty uninspiring, Tarantino-Lite. For those who are happy with SLJ just being very loud and angry. For people who liked the casting of Mace Windu, so to speak.

In other words, this is a free country, and i respect your right to be wrong.

Jul 27, 2020
You see, i'm one of those rare few who thinks that Reservoir Dogs was just ok.
I'm amazed you found it just ok. It was torture for me. I watched it till the end just to see what all the fuss was about. His later movies are much better. "Once upon a time in hollywood" was great. Slow but there were enough delightful moments in it for me to really like it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It was torture for me.
RD is very much a theater script adapted for the cinema. And in that, it deserves praise. I'm not terribly bothered by the violence, because the confrontation between the characters is what makes up the biggest part of the script.
The torture scene was a bit over the top, i'll give you that.

The plot twist is cute, but unimportant.

It's an ok film (that many would-be critic consider Teh GreaTEst FiLm eVEr) but it pales in comparison to PF.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Turning Red

It was ok, not great. Admittedly I'm probably not the target audience. If I wanted a Disney-fied, manga-ish movie I'd rather watch Big Hero 6. 6/10

Jul 27, 2020
I watched "Man From Earth" almost a decade ago I think. It still finds its way into my thoughts now and again. Just a group of people sitting together and talking. But one of them has a secret and when he reveals it, everyone has a look of disbelief that is so palpable. One woman even gasps when she comes to know that everything she believed was a lie created by this man in front of her. I thought it was impressive. A lot of people may disagree.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched "The Man From Earth" almost a decade ago I think. It still finds its way into my thoughts now and again. Just a group of people sitting together and talking. But one of them has a secret and when he reveals it, everyone has a look of disbelief that is so palpable. One woman even gasps when she comes to know that everything she believed was a lie created by this man in front of her. I thought it was impressive. A lot of people may disagree.
I think pretty much everyone who understands film shares your opinion. I come to you with a warning though, don't watch the sequel, Holocene. It's bad. BAD bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.