NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 903 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Prime Video - Tell Me Your Secrets. 6/10 because the beginning episodes were good. What in the hell?? My wife loved it.
Went down a dark and twisted path. Too much like real life evil for me.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched The Book of Boba Fett episode 1. 6/10, solid D effort. Nowhere near as good as Mandalorian, even the music is a lesser version. The whole episode was a bunch of nothing, could have been handled in 5 minutes. Was disappointed to see that it wad written and directed by Favreau given the good work he's done on other projects. It might get better in the next seven episodes but given what we've seen of Boba Fett and Fennec Shand in Mando season 2 and this episode is looking like a big time miss.
Episodes 2 and 3 have been watched. 2 was a bit better, C- or maybe C, but 3 was a nightmare, solid F.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
I watched Gunpowder Milkshake recently. It's kind of a lame graphically violent comedy. There was a section of the movie where Karen Gillan's character temporarily lost the use of her arms after being injected with some sort of drug. I felt like that part might have been a little over long, but otherwise it was good campy fun. 7/10

Reactions: balloonshark

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
2019_07_19_76584_1563524479._large.jpg

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/pages/topic/gordon-ramsay-uncharted
In the National Geographic series Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted, chef Gordon Ramsay journeys to some of the most incredible and remote locations on Earth
in search of culinary inspiration, epic adventures, and cultural experiences he will never forget

8/10. Amazing to watch, it would be nice to eat some of these culinary delights from all over the world.

Enjoyed Anthony Bourdains No Reservations, Parts Unknown, and The Layover. RIP.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I watched Gunpowder Milkshake recently. It's kind of a lame graphically violent comedy. There was a section of the movie where Karen Gillan's character temporarily lost the use of her arms after being injected with some sort of drug. I felt like that part might have been a little over long, but otherwise it was good campy fun. 7/10
I enjoyed both "Gunpowder Milkshake" and "Kate". Been on a huge woman assassin movie kick lately.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Halloween Kills - 3/10

The movie was just terrible and I'm a Michael Myers fanboy. It was just so bad. I only give it a 3 because it had some cool music and a few cool scenes.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Saw Dune a while back in IMAX. Nearly a religious experience. Whew. 9/10 (probably 8/10 if not IMAX).

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i must really hate myself.

Putney Swope - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064855/reference

either a brilliant film that i'm too dumb to understand, or junk.

A mostly B&W film (with some brief color sections), with the premise that in 1960s america, a black dude becomes CEO of an advertisment company, mostly through weird circumstance, and proceeds to go mad in one minute. If you have seen Bananas (1971) and you remember that 1-minute long gag of Fielding becoming dictator and making up ridiculous laws, then you got an idea of what this entire film is.
The acting, photography & direction isn't boring, but it never gets a chance to build us a story, tension of any sort, or even rapport with the audience. What this film is, is a line of "satirical" gags, held by a very tenuous thread, but not satirical as Dont Look Up is, but more like characters pretending they are in a known IRL situation, e.g. "a business deal", "office politics", "social agendas", etc, but then proceed to act in a totally nonsensical way, with often nonsensical dialogue, or dialogue that goes nowhere.

Again, maybe i'm just dumb. Maybe there is some message that's being lost to me, who wasn't 20yo in the 60s. But i think of myself as someone who's fairly well read, so if i don't get it, who tf will?

My vote: 5/10 as today, maybe more 50 years ago idk.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 7/10

1642289144456.png

Reboot of the franchise.
Better than i thought, despite lack of female nudity that the original series had.

I guess Friday the 13th ingrained nudity as a standard for horror movies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I got very bored. Tried watching According To Jim.
Its incredibly bad. Not like wonderful bad, but generic lazy bad. Another generic family sitcom to fill air time and not challenge the American brain. And it has a bunch of good movie actors which is really sad.

1/10

or 0/10 if thats allowed.

• Love
Reactions: TeeJay1952

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Creature

Its quite boring for sci fi, but it has some good violence a couple of times. And pretty girls. Because in the future only pretty girls will be allowed in space.
Wendy Schaal for example.

4/10

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Spider-Man: No Way Home 9/10

I loved everything about this film, but I've loved Spiderman since I was 8. I put it behind Avengers Endgame as my favorite Marvel movie.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched the first two episodes of Peacekeeper last night. I'm reserving judgements for now. I have laughed quite a bit, it is kinda cringe stupid funny. Very James Gunn, I think. It seems like it will be good but it also has the potential to tank in a BIG hurry.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Recently finished Station Eleven.
6.5/10

If you're into Shakespeare and plays, you'll probably like it. For the rest of us, the show is vastly overrated by critics (RT 98%).

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Man to Man 7/10 Netflix Korean rom com with an intelligence officer mascarading as body guard. Pretty funny for me.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i tried to watch The Tragedy Of MacBeth - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10095582/reference

but i could not finish it and passed out.

It's just MacBeth. Well done, ok, Gleeson has precious few lines, McDormand is great, Denzel Washington is adquate, the production by Joel Coen is interesting, but it's not a film for me.

7/10 for what little i saw.

and i also tried watching The Wolf Of Snow Hollow - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11140488/reference

which is a far more interesting film, but it harps on and on about this one character, and frankly they could have completely removed the fact that he drinks, and it would have been the same werewolf film. I really went into it because it stars Rikki Lindohome (the hot & sexy half of the comedy duo Grafunkel & Oats) and it didnt really pay off.

7/10 - okaish film about an alcoholic who tries to do the right thing YAWN but fails because doin' the right thing is often difficult, mmk?

Status
Not open for further replies.