NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 895 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have calmed myself down and i can add a few lines to explain why i think Cowboy Bebop (2021) is completely fucked up.

I like Cowboy Bebop. I'm just gonna call them CB1/CB2 from now on because i'm gonna have to type out that word so many times.

I generally hate everything after the first wave of anime; everything up to Gundam and Macross was ok, then it went to shit with Evangelion and everything that followed, so, it's very hard for me to be able to even tolerate semi-modern anime, and yet, CB1 has this weird, soft underlying melanchony that really struck me. It told me a story, that i had never heard before.

So, obviously when they announced CB2, i had to watch it. And i did.

CB2, in itself, is actually good. Spike and Jet are on point, Faye is a bit too rough, but, you know, you can't really copy 1:1 with humans what was previously done with drawings. And, the production in general is good, it's well directed, it moves at the proper pace, etc, it's actually good just as CB1 was good.

The problem is ..

I have already watched CB1. Obviously, ME, the target audience for any Cowboy-Bebop-related material, WILL HAVE ALREADY WATCHED THE SERIES !

What on earth where they thinking, going through all this effort, for, not even a reboot, a CLONE of the anime; good parts of CB2 are shot-per-shot the same as CB1. Why the fuck would you do this !
I like CB2, i really do, but the original series is also good, there both is no need to clone it - it's a 1998 show, it's not like it's from the 80s - nor is there any chance they going to top it in CB2.

All they needed to do was write some original material and it would have been great, like this, there's nothing for me to watch, because i've already seen it.

TLDR: Cowboy Bebop 2021 uses the same exact scripts as Cowboy Bebop (1998)

Yeah I thought it was fun TV as a sci-fi fan, but I had no horse in the race having no experience with the series in any way. I did think there were some dumb things in the show - Vicious goes from being kinda cartooney and goofy to being so conniving was a bit much but overall besides some things like that it was a fun show to watch. I like the ambience they created.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
in the meanwhile i have been watching, under recommendation, Love, Death & RObots - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9561862/reference

You probably all know about this, you Netflix-having yanks, but to me, i didn't know it existed.
It's a series of 20 minute animation shorts, all by different .. studios? ... with different styles, different characters, etc.
Think "youtube short film", and they all have SciFi as a common theme.

SOme are really good.
And some are not so great. The majority are good, and i'm really enjoying it. Obviously the shorter runtime is a better canvas for modern storytelling, so there's a lot of the essential and little of the bullshit.

I would vote it .. 7.8/10 ish. eh, 7.5/10.

The animation is quite impressive, and, you don't need to invest much time into this, just pop a 20-minuter and you're done.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Took the time today to finish off Season 1 of the Hulu-exclusive Marvel's Hit-Monkey. Overall I'd give it a 6/10.

After the first episode I was very skeptical, there were several aspects that I didn't particularly like (animation style, sheer bizarreness, etc.) but it had one thing going for it (it wasn't MODOK) so I decided to give it another episode. Episode 2 started to pick up and it gained steam throughout the 10 episode run. Episode 10 did kind of go off the rails a bit compared to the prior episodes. If they make a Season 2 I'd watch it but I won't be calendaring it in anticipation.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I agree 7/10 is perfect for Picard I'm looking forward to season #2 ... but then I also enjoyed Discovery despite the all the "touchy-feelies" so wth do I know?

:p

I feel like it could have been like, Breaking Bad levels of good with double the number of episodes to really dig into things, because some things were just so quick that they kinda got glossed over. The beardy captain & his holograms cracked me up tho lol.

Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
All you people that liked Arkane...I need those drugs.

Even my 15 year old nephew had no clue wtf was going on. Could you guys tell me what the plot was, because it wasn't available in the episodes that I watched (all of them), lol. The story was a bunch of over-long fighty sequences and some pretty art. It was like watching cut scenes in a video game back to back, where each scene didn't really flow into the next one--so they're cutting out all the video game playing and smashing all the cut scenes together. ...it was like Michal Bay edited it or something. There was no structure.

But it did look great and the voice acting was tremendous. Characters were interesting and could have been much better...just the whole thing was edited by amateurs or something.

I dunno, 3/10 because it was pretty.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have now watched the entirety of Love Death Monsters Potatoes,

as it's two series of short episodes, obviously the quality varies quite a lot. Some were absolutely excellent, many were just the same old' film / scifi tropes (boring), and some were downright bad. Also, S02 has less episodes and some are .. uh .. 7 minutes long? On a 20 minute runtime?

I would strongly recommend you get this and zip through the series, it will be immediately obvious which are the good ones and which are the bad ones.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
All you people that liked Arkane...I need those drugs.

Even my 15 year old nephew had no clue wtf was going on. Could you guys tell me what the plot was, because it wasn't available in the episodes that I watched (all of them), lol. The story was a bunch of over-long fighty sequences and some pretty art. It was like watching cut scenes in a video game back to back, where each scene didn't really flow into the next one--so they're cutting out all the video game playing and smashing all the cut scenes together. ...it was like Michal Bay edited it or something. There was no structure.

But it did look great and the voice acting was tremendous. Characters were interesting and could have been much better...just the whole thing was edited by amateurs or something.

I dunno, 3/10 because it was pretty.

If you just want to watch pretty fighting, I think you should watch this instead.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i have now watched the entirety of Love Death Monsters Potatoes,

as it's two series of short episodes, obviously the quality varies quite a lot. Some were absolutely excellent, many were just the same old' film / scifi tropes (boring), and some were downright bad. Also, S02 has less episodes and some are .. uh .. 7 minutes long? On a 20 minute runtime?

I would strongly recommend you get this and zip through the series, it will be immediately obvious which are the good ones and which are the bad ones.
Love Death Monsters Potatoes not found on google.
link?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Love Death Monsters Potatoes not found on google.
link?
in the meanwhile i have been watching, under recommendation, Love, Death & RObots - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9561862/reference

You probably all know about this, you Netflix-having yanks, but to me, i didn't know it existed.
It's a series of 20 minute animation shorts, all by different .. studios? ... with different styles, different characters, etc.
Think "youtube short film", and they all have SciFi as a common theme.

SOme are really good.
And some are not so great. The majority are good, and i'm really enjoying it. Obviously the shorter runtime is a better canvas for modern storytelling, so there's a lot of the essential and little of the bullshit.

I would vote it .. 7.8/10 ish. eh, 7.5/10.

The animation is quite impressive, and, you don't need to invest much time into this, just pop a 20-minuter and you're done.
as you command

also, you lazy ass m*t***, it's the first google result
LDMP.png

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
as you command

also, you lazy ass m*t***, it's the first google result
Ditto on DuckDuckGo. Even ignoring the fact that you called it by the real title upthread, this isn't rocket science.

Attachments

• 1638717924967.png
    1638717924967.png
    451.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: DigDog

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I decided to watch the Amazon Original Invincible with the family out of town. I wasn't too much of a fan, 5/10.

I felt like if I wanted a "violent superhero cartoon" show that I'd slightly prefer Hit Monkey. If I wanted a "here's what happens when superheroes go bad" show I'd prefer The Boys. If I wanted a "teenager coming of age learning to cope with teenage life and new super powers" show I could watch, well, pretty much anything else. It doesn't do any of those subgenres particularly well and rolling them all up into one didn't make the the whole better than its parts. I was disappointed because I'd heard such good things and the voice cast was outstanding but overall it was very 'Meh.'

Do we really need another take on the age-old question of, "What if Superman was bad?"

This was CLEARLY an unnecessarily violent version of a more classic Superman (before he got every super power ever created) killing the Justice League while other superhero rip-off stories get told. Cecil was a calmer Nick Fury and the other guy was his Agent Coulson, Titan was Luke Cage, the devil was kind of a Rorschach/Constantine/Hellboy mashup, etc. Hell, even the character who was supposed to be the relatable one, Atom Eve, was a poor character - the "super hot, unapproachable, blonde babe wears skimpy pink BY CHOICE, dammit!" Oh, and she had huge daddy issues given that she named herself after the mythical characters of the Garden of Eden and went by Eve at school, but her name was Samantha and her father, who she argued with, was named Adam. And the ending! Omni Man keeps this secret for decades, kills thousands of people, renounces his wife who he claimed to love, beats his son to a pulp with the thought that there were more where he came from, and then just leaves? Like we're supposed to believe that he just regained some part of his humanity in that moment, enough to undo all of his hundreds of years of training and indoctrination? That would be like if Guardians of the Galaxy Part 2 had Ego kill hundreds of his children, told Quill that he loved Quill's mother but she had to die for the greater cause, had Quill right where he wanted him as a battery for his Celestial power, then suddenly remembered that one time earlier in the day where they played catch with the light ball for a couple of minutes and decided to let Quill go and peaced out to some other part of the universe because those 135 seconds of catch with a child that was as expendable as all of the other mortals MEANT SOMETHING!

Do I feel like I want my 8 hours back? No. But it's very low on my list of shows I'd be willing to invest another 8 hours into.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I agree 7/10 is perfect for Picard I'm looking forward to season #2 ... but then I also enjoyed Discovery despite the all the "touchy-feelies" so wth do I know?

:p
Picard is a solid 7/10.

Discovery, the touchy-feely crap in Discovery, ruins the entire show... I've given that show a pass... and a 3.5/10

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you were gonna remake Oh God! today, who would you cast?
(as god)

every-moderator-on-here-39147024.png

;)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I did some very quick estimates and I think I finally reached the point where I have streamed more content than I ever watched on disc or tape. But not as much as cable or broadcast, yet.
This is because I didnt start purchasing DVD's until after I joined the Navy and of course I never had much space, so my purchases were rare. And also after I left home I pretty much stopped with the TV entirely. And only went to the theater when I was really bored and short on cash. The last two years being locked in the home I played catch up on everything I missed over the years. (like a lot of other middle aged Americans I suspect.) And while most of it was forgettable I know I put in lots of hours on the couch. Also while growing up I got snowed in a lot and didnt go out much from October to April, so I think TV and cable accounted for a good chunk of my time, even though I read a lot too.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
If you just want to watch pretty fighting, I think you should watch this instead.

Haha, oddly enough I just finished watching Battle Through the Heavens Season4 not too long ago. I watched the live action which was OK, but not great.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Wheel of Time.

EP1 6/10
EP2 - EP5, 7/10

Could have done a better job of introducing the viewers to this world. The start should have someone narrating, about how the Creator made the True Source (the One Power) as the driving force to power the Wheel of Time (WoT), which is separated into Saidin and Saidar. The Dark One is always trying to break free and remake the WoT.

Then they NEED to add this to the opening narration, "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

And the scene with the reds chasing down the male channeler, they could have had one of the reds narrate what they were going to do and why.

At that point, the viewer has all they need in terms of intro to the world. It would be less confusing for those who have never read the books to follow at that point.

I'm OK with them mixing things up for the live action series vs the books, but I have two major gripes so far.

1) There was a scene that deals with parentage and also a sword. I'm being vague so as not to spoil anything for anyone, see spoiler section for a bit more.

2) The mix of races in different peoples is a bit weird. For example, I've always envisioned the Two Rivers folks to be dark, but not very dark. The actor who plays Perrin is about as dark as I envision the Two Rivers people to be. The only one that were truly dark skinned were the Seanchan and those who followed one of the Forsaken towards the end (the name eludes me at the moment). Having someone like Valda be very dark skinned is a bit weird.

The Aes Sedai rings seem weird. I've always envisioned them to be a two-fingered ring as the depiction of drawings in the books show.

I'm generally OK with the other changes they've made to speed things along. Robert Jordan, bless his soul, needed a swift kick in the rear about being too wordy and adding in side stories that did nothing for the main plot.

It's jarring that the scene of Tam al'Thor mumbling about Rand's parentage was missing as, to me, it's a defining character development moment in the series that sets up a lot of scenes later on. And also the fact that the sword Rand obtained was a heron marked blade.

I don't like that Rand and Egwene seem to have a sexual relationship. It kind of changes the character dynamics between them, and how they will interact with others later on. And WTF was Lan getting in a tub with Moraine? Although there was some hint that their relationship might have been beyond just a warder and Aes Sedai.

Status
Not open for further replies.