NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 894 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sixth Sense - 8/10. Watched it because my wife had never seen it - still excellent, even though I knew the twist.

6UnderGround - watched it because I was having trouble sleeping - 2/10. This movie should be buried under ground.

Hanah (Series) - Pretty good, could have been better - 7/10. Too much stupid stuff at the end (bad guys couldn't shoot a rhino at 10 ft, good guys sneak around in the open w/o being seen, etc.).
Its about 10 times better when yo dont know the twist.
In fact its too good, because M Night kept putting twists in his films and we are all looking for them and they are never as good.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I signed onto Disney+ to watch Get Back (excellent so far, half way through) and used it as an opportunity to catch up on Star Wars-had only seen one after the second trilogy came out. Watched maybe four movies and Mandalorian. I can see how the movies appeal to diehard fans but for me they were OK at best. Mandalorian was my favorite of the batch, if they have new seasons I will look forward to those.

As far as Get Back goes, if you are a Beatles fan this is awesome. Even if not a Beatles fan, it is truly awesome to see the creative spark in action, to see the very initial spark of what would become iconic songs. My attitude toward John Lennon has totally changed-before I thought he was pretty dour but he shows a great sense of humor and playfulness here. Lots and lots of tries of (unknown) songs to me, things that never went anywhere. To me the most enjoyable part was watching the creative process of true musical geniuses play out in real time. Highly recommended-way better than the original movie version. One quibble-the first ten minutes or so is an overview of Beatles history up to this album. The narrator is way too loud-this is a music movie, the fans are going to have it cranked up to hear the music which is much softer than the narrator.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Demon Slayer (the Movie): Mugen Train 5/10

1638239662672.png

This movie beat Studio Ghibli's Spirted Away as the highest grossing anime in Japan. (Spirited Away held the spot since 2001!)

1Demon Slayer: Mugen Train
film currently playing
$503,063,688​
2020[3]
2Spirited Away
$395,580,000​
2001[4]
3Your Name
$380,140,500​
2016[4]
4Howl's Moving Castle
$236,214,446​
2004[5]
5Ponyo
$204,826,668​
2008[6]

No clue why it was #1.
I guess you have to be a fan of the Demon Slayer series???

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the way things are going, it would not surprise me if a major hollywood studio released a vertical movie, and soon.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
What If... 7/10
(by Disney)

1638286346144.png

Alternate Marvel timelines.

ie: What if a girl got the super soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers (Capt America)?
ie2: What if Dr Strange used the time stone for his selfish purposes?

Each episode is independent of each other.
I liked it.
Then they decided to tie in some characters from all those alternate timelines at end.
Didnt work for me. I took a point off for that failure.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I am replying to this to bump Arcane. It is likely one of the best things I've seen, and that's saying a lot. It's tremendously good.
Just finished ep2.
i like the graphics more than the storyline, so far.

poor kids stir up BIG trouble in the rich part of town and accidently blow up a bldg.
their Dad is a leader in the poor side of town trying to maintain the peace.
Cops need to make an example.
Mob boss taking advantage of the situation.
Cliché so far...

The music is especially good. (and i usually never notice the music in any show)

so far, no fast forwarding

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Just finished ep2.
i like the graphics more than the storyline, so far.

poor kids stir up BIG trouble in the rich part of town and accidently blow up a bldg.
Cliché so far...

The music is especially good. (and i usually never notice the music in any show)

You're in for a treat, I wish I could rewatch it for the first time again.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Rizzoli & Isles is incredibly bland. Everything about the show is boring, generic, and stereotyped. The characters, the stories, the plot points.
Its like they ripped off a hundred other police shows and built something that cannot measure up to any of them. I give it 1/10 because the leads are cute. Not cool, not fun, not interesting, definitely not original. Just cute.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Drinker complains about movies:

Damn, I ended up watching a lot of his Youtube things - God, he really doesn't like anything much does he? He's convinced me all the later Star Wars movies and the reboot Star Trek ones (none of which I've seen, bar one) are terrible.
At first I was thinking he's some Gamergate type (just with a plebian Scots accent, which is not what one expects from the type) who dislikes anything 'woke'...but on the whole I came to think he makes some good points, about the poor quality of the writing of those things.

The only SW movies I've seen are the original three (back when I was young enough to like them) and, oddly enough, Rogue One. The prequels didn't interest me when they came out because I wasn't sufficiently a fan of the originals, and then they got such _terrible_ reception from the hardcore fans who did go and see them, that I never bothered to catch up with them.

Then I just ignored it all till I accidentally saw Rogue One, and, to my great surprise, thought it was pretty good. I liked how it belatedly told the story of all the ordinary grunts who were crucial to the success of the revolution but died in complete obscurity, while the big star names of the revolutionary aristocracy got all the credit and all the rewards (much as happens in real life). Particularly liked how it had so little of all that "Force" bollocks in it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
He doesn't hate everything. And what he does hate gets a thorough analysis which is not something a typical angry old conservative does.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
(Arcane)

Just finished ep2.
i like the graphics more than the storyline.

Cliché so far...

Ep3: Well i didnt see that twist coming.

yeah, no longer cliche

• Love
Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
not even nine minutes in to
The Last Duel - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4244994/reference
and i am already laughing. This is a comedy, right? Right guys? Guys?

.. the castings of Affleck and Damon are ridiculous; neither has training to even begin approaching such a role. Adam Diver *also* isn't a great choice for this role, even though his acting is better than the other two. And because i rarely am short of praise for this man, he has the talent to work *with* other actors, instead of going above them.
Damon on the other hand, oh my god. Everything about him is bad, everything.
The fight scenes are horrendous, and the camerawork in general is atrocious for a film of this budget. You would think that Ridley FUCKING Scott, the man who directed American Gangster (9/10), Alien (9/10), Blade Runner (9/10) would know how to build a storyboard; this is the same man who made himself, by hand, the entire storyboard to Alien.

As an explanation of what i mean by this; let's say you are filming a medieval-setting film. You would have a few introductory shots where you show the peasantry, the livestock, the animals, etc and once the audience GETS IT, then you go back to framing actors as you would with any other film. There is no need to have the storytelling constantly interrupted by: shots of the cook in the kitchen; shots of the peasant pulling a cart, shots of the peasantry walking in the castle. I get it, we are in medieval times, i do not need to be constantly reminded, and, as a spectator, everything Scott focuses on some girl skinning a pig or stirring a pot, my brain thinks "is this a new character? Do i have to remember what this person is doing?".

Photography is also, once again, shit. Every interior shot is all yellow-ochre, because candlelight, duh. Every exterior shot is gray, because /nature/. Why is it that Harry Potter 1 gets to have decent indoor shots, but 100M Ridley Scott film doesn't?

And, even though they build these massive, expensive sets, then they do the fighting scenes, and it's something that a child would have thought up. A single sword blow defeats plate mail, and it's all about the fighting, rather than what the fighting means, if you recall that "Luke vs Vader" comparison to the prequel fights. I really do not care about random guy n.27 killing random guy n.41 regardless of how "recreation" it is.
Wanna see a meaningful fight scene?

The Name of The Rose. The Black Death. Excalibur - the one with the gay shining armors. Braveheart. All better than this film because they understand what filmmaking is about, and it's not about trying to make a documentary, it's about THIS:
My vote: 6/10 - boring characters, boring story, terrible acting, its only saving grace is Diver trying his best. (gets very slightly better at the very end)

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
He doesn't hate everything. And what he does hate gets a thorough analysis which is not something a typical angry old conservative does.

He does seem to hate most recent movies. But I agree he gives well-argued reasons for his dislike, which distinguishes him from GamerGate type knee-jerking. Still would describe him as conservative, though, particularly in the way he seems to insist there's such a thing as pure aesthetic judgments that can be divorced from any social or political analysis, like he's some FR Leavis of pop culture. Seems like the more intelligent side of conservatism - ended up binge watching his stuff, pretty interesting/funny.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
It Happened on 5th Avenue - 1947

Wow this movie was a hoot and pretty silly, which I loved. As the house fills up with various degrees of bums it is great to watch McKeever act as the caretaker of the home and the guests. The sage wisdom provided by the ultimate bum of the house in business, relationships, happiness and life combined with him stealing/wearing the clothes of the owner of the home is just great. Just a number of other funny things/gags such as falling in love in a day or two, subsequently fighting your father over said love, potential spousal abuse("only in self defense"), vertical integration of businesses, needing to stick your head into a pot to determine that what is cooking is indeed stew, pretending to be poor/rich....The scenes in the restaurant are also hilarious w/ the waiter.

I was expecting to enjoy this movie and I was also surprised that I enjoyed it even more than I expected. There are a few slower moving bits, but it also helps you connect to the characters and enjoy their interactions more. Solid 8.5/10.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Arcane 8.5/10
(Netflix 9part, season 2 approved already)

1638384420693.png

Started off like a cliché:

An early plot twist and it got MUCH better.
but then she grows up to be a paranoid Harley Quinn. (cliché again)
Then Harley falls into the chemical vat... intense... chaotic... stupid... unnecessary... but she seems to be thinking somewhat clearer?!?!

Love the music and I dont usually notice the music in shows.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Arcane 8.5/10
(Netflix 9part, season 2 approved already)

View attachment 53676

Started off like a cliché:

An early plot twist and it got MUCH better.
but then she grows up to be a paranoid Harley Quinn. (cliché again)
Then Harley falls into the chemical vat... intense... chaotic... stupid... unnecessary... but she seems to be thinking somewhat clearer?!?!

Love the music and I dont usually notice the music in shows.

So, lets say I've never played League of Legends, and am not fond of the whole MOBA style games, is this still worth watching? Is it a good show in it's own right, or is it a good League of Legends tie in?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So, lets say I've never played League of Legends, and am not fond of the whole MOBA style games, is this still worth watching? Is it a good show in it's own right, or is it a good League of Legends tie in?
yup.

Didnt even know this was LoL till i saw the title screen in the 1st ep.
thought it was just generic steampunk with some rudimental magic.

and All i knew about LOL was that it was a multiplayer strategy game like Warcraft with $1M+ top prize tournys.

the game maker must do well if $1M+ to the winning team every year :eek:

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Barb and Star Go to Vista del Mar. 2/10 . The worst movie I've seen so far this year. Can't believe it got good reviews.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Finished Cowboy Bebop and had zero knowledge of its source material. I found it a fun show. Definitely had some groan moments and flaws. I read later the romantic story of Spike and Julia was really blown up much more than from the source material. But since I had no history with it, that didn't bother me. There were a few issues with the story but overall it had a cool vibe and visual setup and was fun entertaining sci-fi.

Reactions: dlerious

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
what the fuck

im watching the new Cowboy Bebop, and, i'm thinking "hmm, this is actually not bad", and then after 10 minutes, the bounty .. is the guy with RedEye ???
THE SAME STORY AS THE ANIME ?!?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Barb and Star Go to Vista del Mar. 2/10 . The worst movie I've seen so far this year. Can't believe it got good reviews.

Funny thing is I just saw a movie with the same title and I thought it was one of the best comedies in the last couple of years.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
disappointed by cowboy bebop, i instead watched a few episodes of Love, Death & Rockets, and loved all of them. Will report later when im done with S01.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I have calmed myself down and i can add a few lines to explain why i think Cowboy Bebop (2021) is completely fucked up.

I like Cowboy Bebop. I'm just gonna call them CB1/CB2 from now on because i'm gonna have to type out that word so many times.

I generally hate everything after the first wave of anime; everything up to Gundam and Macross was ok, then it went to shit with Evangelion and everything that followed, so, it's very hard for me to be able to even tolerate semi-modern anime, and yet, CB1 has this weird, soft underlying melanchony that really struck me. It told me a story, that i had never heard before.

So, obviously when they announced CB2, i had to watch it. And i did.

CB2, in itself, is actually good. Spike and Jet are on point, Faye is a bit too rough, but, you know, you can't really copy 1:1 with humans what was previously done with drawings. And, the production in general is good, it's well directed, it moves at the proper pace, etc, it's actually good just as CB1 was good.

The problem is ..

I have already watched CB1. Obviously, ME, the target audience for any Cowboy-Bebop-related material, WILL HAVE ALREADY WATCHED THE SERIES !

What on earth where they thinking, going through all this effort, for, not even a reboot, a CLONE of the anime; good parts of CB2 are shot-per-shot the same as CB1. Why the fuck would you do this !
I like CB2, i really do, but the original series is also good, there both is no need to clone it - it's a 1998 show, it's not like it's from the 80s - nor is there any chance they going to top it in CB2.

All they needed to do was write some original material and it would have been great, like this, there's nothing for me to watch, because i've already seen it.

TLDR: Cowboy Bebop 2021 uses the same exact scripts as Cowboy Bebop (1998)

Status
Not open for further replies.