NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 892 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
No Time to Die 6/10 Too many gaping plot holes killed the effort. Craig did fine, but the script failed.

You are far too kind.1/10, whatev....

I was so bored I turned it off, for reasons I am too bored to recall. Well, utterly confused does come to mind. Also, I can point out the areas where the drama imitates its former self.Yawn!
The series is likely now dead and should be since by this measure of drama Holywood has nothing further to say in regards to 00. Well how about "Been there done that for the past twenty years".
Time to get warm around the fire place and reminisce the great lines beautiful women and dashing heroes of 007 pictures past.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Decided to re-watch Alien. 7/10.

When I last watched it (a long time ago), I thought it was one of the best Sci-fi horror movies ever.
This time, I thought the first 1/2 of the movies was still outstanding - the atmospherics were simply exemplary, the carefully crafted build up also so well written and acted.
The second half - so many stupid actions taken so often by the characters in horror moves. There's a horrible monster loose on the ship, but that's okay, I'll go off by myself to fetch whatever :rolleyes:.

I guess I'm jaded, and too used to the once novel visual of the actual alien creature to be shocked.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Taste the Nation with Padma Lakshmi - Hulu - Season 2 - this is an abbreviated season of just four episodes, all centered around the holidays - Hannukah, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years - but going behind the scenes to see what it's like for different cultures. The Jewish one she deals with the Jews but shows how Hannukah was adjusted for American purposes, Thanksgiving is about the Wampanoag tribe that were the ones the colonists took the land from up there in Massachusetts near Plymouth Rock, Christmas is about how Cuban Americans do it in Miami, and New Years is focused on Korean Americans. Stories told party through food.

Good stuff. It's good to see a different perspective on things. Some people would call it CRT, but for everybody else, this is a good watch.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Disney Plus had a $1.99 for first month deal so I figured what the hell.

So far have only watched Black Widow .... lets just say this movie not making a ton of money had very little to do with it going straight to streaming its just not very good.

4/10 (and I'm being generous)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings ..... Felt like I was watching a bad martial arts movie not a Marvel story... just terrible. Made it halfway through and turned it off. This movie also bombed because it sucks not for any other reason. A lot of the time I had no idea what was going on AND I didn't care about the storyline or the characters.

2/10 (see above)

EDIT: Came back and finished this tonight just because I was bored. The last 3rd of the movie was better (or at least not boring) and as a whole I enjoyed 10 Rings a LOT more than Black Widow.

First Disney ruined Star Wars and now it seems they've ruined Marvel too. Not sure who it is they're making these new Marvel movies for but it sure isn't comic super-hero fans anymore.

Thank goodness I didn't spend any money seeing either of these stinkers in the theater!

Also will 100% be cancelling Disney plus prior to getting billed for month #2. :rolleyes:
(Really I want my $1.99 back ... feels like I got ripped off!)

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Red Notice 6/10 Wonder Woman, Deadpool and Scorpion King in a heist caper film. Wonder Woman's boobs shrunk :(
Dune 2021 4/10 slow, boring and waste of money... why pay so much for Aquaman when he had less than ten min screen time.

Last edited:

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Dune 2021, 7/10

Borrowed a friend's HBO login and watched it. Some things could have been explained better. But overall enjoyed it. It's a respectable outing. Some areas could have been fleshed out more to better explain the story.

Yeh. I read the books so I was kind of clued in. Mt wife didn't have a clue.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Watched the 4k remaster of Event Horizon. Been like 20 years since I saw it. Excellent moody sci Fi noir 9/10

I was unaware of this! :D

Also against my better judgement I tried to sit through "The Rise of Skywalker" .... my only comment is that cringe-worthy doesn't begin to cover it.

Star Wars is officially (and completely) dead in terms of adult sci-fi. :confused:

1/10

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Disney Plus had a $1.99 for first month deal so I figured what the hell.

So far have only watched Black Widow .... lets just say this movie not making a ton of money had very little to do with it going straight to streaming its just not very good.

4/10 (and I'm being generous)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings ..... Felt like I was watching a bad martial arts movie not a Marvel story... just terrible. Made it halfway through and turned it off. This movie also bombed because it sucks not for any other reason. A lot of the time I had no idea what was going on AND I didn't care about the storyline or the characters.

2/10 (see above)

EDIT: Came back and finished this tonight just because I was bored. The last 3rd of the movie was better (or at least not boring) and as a whole I enjoyed 10 Rings a LOT more than Black Widow.

First Disney ruined Star Wars and now it seems they've ruined Marvel too. Not sure who it is they're making these new Marvel movies for but it sure isn't comic super-hero fans anymore.

Thank goodness I didn't spend any money seeing either of these stinkers in the theater!

Also will 100% be cancelling Disney plus prior to getting billed for month #2. :rolleyes:
(Really I want my $1.99 back ... feels like I got ripped off!)

IMO both Star Wars and Marvel were well past their primes before Disney, which performed the expected function of milking the cash cow to death.

I also just signed up for Disney+-solely because Pete Jackson's redo and vast expansion of the Beatles movie/documentary Let It Be which is coming Nov 25th. To me that is my most anticipated movie of the year.

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars since the first two trilogies. Any suggestions on what to watch this month? Re Marvel I loved both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, never really cared for the few other Marvels I've seen (parts of). Any suggestions there?

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
IMO both Star Wars and Marvel were well past their primes before Disney, which performed the expected function of milking the cash cow to death.

I also just signed up for Disney+-solely because Pete Jackson's redo and vast expansion of the Beatles movie/documentary Let It Be which is coming Nov 25th. To me that is my most anticipated movie of the year.

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars since the first two trilogies. Any suggestions on what to watch this month? Re Marvel I loved both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, never really cared for the few other Marvels I've seen (parts of). Any suggestions there?

Shang Chi is okay I suppose ... I was bored by Black Widow.

I also enjoyed the Guardians movies .... if you have not seen Winter Soldier and/or Civil War those are my two favorites from Marvel.

Reactions: Thump553

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Disney+ comes with my Verizon wireless account so I'll probably give the Boba Fett thing a shot. I thought the Mandalorian was ok. It had some good moments but overall meh.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Disney+ comes with my Verizon wireless account so I'll probably give the Boba Fett thing a shot. I thought the Mandalorian was ok. It had some good moments but overall meh.

I have 2 more weeks @ $1.99 .... been trying to convince myself its worth the time! :confused:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have 2 more weeks @ $1.99 .... been trying to convince myself its worth the time! :confused:

It's overall too geared to kids, but there are some cool moments in for those of us that are adults now. I guess we don't buy enough merchandise as adults to be catered to anymore. The kids want the toys, and there is lots more money there. It's for the kiddies primarily, adults second.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's overall too geared to kids, but there are some cool moments in for those of us that are adults now. I guess we don't buy enough merchandise as adults to be catered to anymore. The kids want the toys, and there is lots more money there. It's for the kiddies primarily, adults second.

That was my feeling about the last SW movie. :(

Problem is though I've seen quite a few kids movies (MANY from Disney!) that were at the least entertaining for adults and some that were really good as well so I know its possible to make them. "Rise of Skywalker" was neither of those things.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I was unaware of this! :D

Also against my better judgement I tried to sit through "The Rise of Skywalker" .... my only comment is that cringe-worthy doesn't begin to cover it.

Star Wars is officially (and completely) dead in terms of adult sci-fi. :confused:

1/10

well. Star Wars was only ever and ever will be pure Fantasy, so at least you don't have to worry about it "besmirching Sci Fi," at least. No Sci Fi need apply here!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
it is very much a polished turd. I would recommend Boss Level instead which is .the.same.exact.film. but actually entertaining.

Saw both of those, couldn't really pick between them, both were in "OK, passed the time" territory. "Free Guy" seems like it depends entirely on what one feels about Ryan Renolds. I find him watchable and occasionally funny so I thought it was OK. While the the bloke in the other one seemed like a very generic action-hero guy, even if it had somewhat superior action sequences.

Main thing about Free Guy was noticing the sheer number of other movies it kept reminding me of - as well as Boss Level itself, there was also some Groundhog Day in there, and a dollop of the storyline from Tron, and a hint of The Matrix, and at one point I was thinking they should have had that Phil Okey song Electric Dreams, from the 80s movie of that name, on the soundtrack. Oh, and maybe a bit of Dark City in there as well.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i think Free Guy's target audience is "person who very vaguely knows that videogames exist".

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I started rewatching at least the beginning of Lexx and my god, I was really shocked. I'm just near the end of the first episode and I'm so impressed at how well it holds up.

I can't usually watch things this old because they just keep hitting me with "so dated, so dated." This doesn't. Sure if you step back for a minute I supposed you can see it.

But the sets and even the graphics I would still assess as more than adequate.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I started rewatching at least the beginning of Lexx and my god, I was really shocked. I'm just near the end of the first episode and I'm so impressed at how well it holds up.

I can't usually watch things this old because they just keep hitting me with "so dated, so dated." This doesn't. Sure if you step back for a minute I supposed you can see it.

But the sets and even the graphics I would still assess as more than adequate.

Lexx was a great series

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Switched over to Foundation for a while and about halfway through.

So impressive in terms of the tech for something birthed in the late 1940's and early 50's. I wonder if the imperial jump vehicles were originally intended to emulate black holes, since the event horizon they create is unmistakable.

The only real flaw that only marginally bothers me is the idea of taking a sub-luminal flight from "the core" or pretty much anywhere in the galaxy to the outer rim. But of course back then, everyone still thought that our galaxy WAS the universe. And apparently redshift and type 1A supernova measures hadn't been developed yet so I Asimov had no idea that the galaxy is actually around 100,000 light years across.

I'm about half through the premier/current season and it's keeping me very interested. So far it has been a bit fragmented but I'm assuming that's the chronology in the books. It requires me to remember a handful of things when I'm normally used to just vegging out on shows and movies.

Even though I'm a huge scifi fan and will watch virtually anything with that moniker - within reason of course - I've never read many novels. I'm sure no one cares but if you're also like this, please chime in. Whenever I try to read an author with an unusual style (so pretty much anyone), I end up thinking in that style. It's very strange. As if my mind had been hijacked. It doesn't change how I think, just the dialect - as far as I can tell but I really don't like the feeling.

There are 3 works or sets people used to insist I read - LOTR, Atlas Shrugged and Foundation. So I'm a bit grateful that this has been made into a series.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I've watched Foundation - curious story arc thus far. I was never an Asimov fan. I read stuff from Heinlein and Clark. After watching Foundation, still not an Asimov fan (unless Apple butchered it).

Reactions: Charmonium

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i gave up halfway through the first Foundation book, aside from the ludicrous pseudoscience of statistics=precognition, the writing is just obscenely boring.

Heinlein has some dodgy plots and deus-ex-machina but the quality of writing is superb, just a pleasure to read.

Clarke has to be the overall best of the old guard, and hopefully they will make a Rendevouz With Rama film thats visually faithful to the story.

Martian Chronicles (Bradbury) is genius, however it's much closer to Kafka than proper scifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.