NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 870 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
@sactoking, thanks for that Luca review. I have been looking at ABC news lately and they've got lots of stuff about it, even interviews of the kids who did the voices. I looked at that stuff skeptically, which is saying something since I always liked Pixar. I use the past tense because since Disney bought them I don't think I've seen more than 1 or 2. No real reason, I suppose I should check them out. I usually watched the earlier stuff since a pretty chick told me about Toy Story at our company office party way back when... :p

I always figure I'll almost for sure like a Pixar and almost for sure dislike a Disney, that's the way I roll(ed).

Pixar's studios were (maybe still are) close to me in Emeryville, CA, a 2-3 mile bike ride. I used to think I should go over there one day and drop off a resume, seemed like it would be a great place to work. I have no cred in animation or movies but do have a good imagination, LOVEd their stuff, have a good sense of humor, real good feel for music and a pretty high tech IQ.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah, of all the Pixar "original" IP I think this one is the least enjoyable, behind all of the critically panned IP such as The Good Dinosaur, Brave and Onward. It's nowhere near a Wall-e, Toy Story or Up and even not close to mediocre IP like Cars or A Bugs Life.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, of all the Pixar "original" IP I think this one is the least enjoyable, behind all of the critically panned IP such as The Good Dinosaur, Brave and Onward. It's nowhere near a Wall-e, Toy Story or Up and even not close to mediocre IP like Cars or A Bugs Life.
I have not seen The Good Dinosaur, Brave and Onward. I HAVE seen all those others! :p It's not like I have a thing about "I will see this, won't see that Pixar" or anything. I used to think"Pixar, I'm seein' it..." but it hasn't worked out that way. Disney picking them up alarmed me. I heard it was about the distribution issues but figured it didn't bode well, perhaps. The way early Pixar was, it was maybe too good to be true, they couldn't keep it up.

Some people have a photographic memory. Really, it blows my mind. I read this article in NYTimes last week about this. "Mind's eye," you hear that a lot. Some people have it, some don't. A very small percent of people, IIRC 0.7% have zero mind's eye, meaning they can't picture anything in their head. A small percentage of people have a mind's eye that's phenomenal. Such a person, after seeing a movie, can see it in their mind thoroughly, "indistinguishable" from the actual experience of watching it. Mind blowing idea. I can watch a movie after an amount of time has passed and sometimes not realize I've seen it before! When that happens, I often if not usually realize AFTER watching the movie that, "hey, I think I saw that before." It's one reason I keep records of what and when I see movies. When I don't forget to make data entries, it will tell me dates for each watch. For instance, Toy Story:

12/03/2010
08/15/2001

I wonder if I forget one... I should see it again.

People who have that photographic memory thing have to be careful, it can be difficult. At least some (maybe all, I don't know) stay away from horror. I'm not big on horror myself.

IP means what? Intellectual property?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Not sure WTF you all are talking about. Watched Luca last night and it was fantastic. Myself, my wife, and 6 year old son all loved it. The animation and scenery was incredible in it.

I'd give it a 9/10.

Reactions: Muse

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
What did you find fantastic about it? The movie was mediocre at best and the ending was pure shit.
It was just a fun and entertaining story with fantastic visuals. Sends a good message to the little ones too.

I had no problem with the ending either.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Mandy - 6.5/10 - WTF did I just watch?

Thank you Joe Bob & Shudder for bringing this one to me. Thank you for explaining to me that I needed to take some 'shrooms prior to watching this descent into madness. I'll admit, the visuals were pretty outlandish with the focus, colors, and random effects thrown in to get that surreal psychotic LSD touch.

Nick Cage - some spectacular scenes as the man was having just too much fun!

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched The Warriors for the 100th time.
8/10 It's on HBO Max

Its kinda silly now. Gangs with baseball bats? The gangs in the film were silly IMO. Face paint. The baseball gang looked like they were going to a mime show. A bus full of thugs? Where are the cops? What about the New Yorkers? The streets are deserted. Yea, it's late at night. But, it's still NYC. The atmosphere is still creepy though.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Mare of Easttown - HBO Max - 8/10 - You know, it's a detective/murder/drama series, but done well. Except the two episodes I watched stoned. Those made it seem a bit silly. But I get in my head when stoned on some strains. And really, it can get pretty dramatic but it does have some endearing characters, except David Pearce's character is kind of just an after thought. Some of the acting is really good. Kate Winslett is excellent. Some moving parts, touches upon some real issues, and the ending - as in the actual ending scene itself, was really good.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
2 Hearts, 7 out of 10. Netflix- Yes, you figure out the plot pretty quick. That doesn’t mean it won’t pull on your heart strings.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so turn out that i have amazon prime, which means i can watch (without torrenting) stuff like

Invincible - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6741278/reference

wow, was i wrong. Oh boy i was so wrong.

I thought this was going to be something in the shape of Adult Swim / Rick & Morty etc instead omg, it's ghastly. The polar opposite of self-aware, Invincible plays its topes straight; there is a young boy who like all protag.. like all young boys is unsure of himself. Big moustachoed dad-slash-superhero Omniman teaches him the ropes, but is he teaching him to be himself?

I would have to say that this is about as horrid as daytime kid's tv shows made to sell toys, as it has about the same depth as .. you know .. it really feels like i'm watching Teen Titans. NOT the far superior comedy / superhero spoof Teen Titans Go!, but its stupid cousin, Teen Titans.
Everywhere the review are "edgy", "irreverent", "not for kids". Omg, this show totally IS for kids. It's for kids who think they are adults, but are just stupid, snotty kids.

4.5/10 - bad

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Watched Tenet a few days ago. While good visually with some decent sound effects / soundtrack, I did struggle with the speech as has been discussed. I wanted to like it more but had my expectations tempered so it was at least kinda enjoyable. The analogy I landed on last night was that this movie is like pushing rope.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Fatherhood - I knew nothing about this movie other than the picture I saw scrolling through Netflix and thought it would be a standard run of the mill Kevin Hart comedy. I could not have been more wrong and found that out pretty quickly into the movie, and it was in a good way. I have never seen this side of Kevin Hart and had no clue he even had it in him. I have a completely new found respect for his acting abilities now. It's a heartwarming movie that tugs at your heart strings multiple times with a lot of highs and lows. Yeah it's pretty predictable but it's just a good movie. I wouldn't even classify it as a comedy at all.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I watched The Ice Road on Netflix. It was a pretty brainless truck driving action flick... the kind of thing that you would expect to see on the dusty DVD shelf at a truck stop.

It's basically "Speed on an Ice Road", and I'm amazed that they got Liam Neeson and Laurence Fishburne to star in this thing. I'll give it a 5.5 out of 10, with some bonus points thrown in because it does answer the question... "What if Ice Road Trucking was actually as dangerous as the History Channel pretended it was?" When I saw the movie title, that's what I was hoping for and it did deliver in that regard.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
The Ice Road: 5/10

This movie is not good…. Bad acting and a bad plot. But I did like this on a pure dumb level. There is literally no reason Laurence Fishburne is in the movie but it does pick up the 2nd half. It’s a really dumb predictable thrill ride. I put this around the same level as Sharknedo but it’s a tad bit better.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
F9 [aka, the infinite "car" chase] - x.x I can't decide

I'm used to the old fnf where you had truly over the top cgi stunts and were it not for your ability to suspend reality, you'd have walked out in the first, oh . . . let's be generous and say 20 minutes.

Some will argue that this one isn't any different. But look closely. IF (ok, big if) you accept that there could be some quasi-scientific explanation for some of what happens, it's really not that bad. Please understand though. I'm not saying it doesn't have its, ahem, "moments." All I'm saying is that you can see that maybe, just maybe, they made some conscious effort to reduce the amount of suspended reality required.

This leaves me in a bit of a quandary. Normally, I judge action movies by a pretty liberal standard. I guess I shouldn't if we're going to worry peoples' opinion of your opinion. In that case, you should probably try to be consistent. But seriously, it's not like I'm reviewing for the Times. So fuck it.

By that standard, the old FnF's probably get at least a 7 just for not boring the shit out of me. I did look at my watch a bit but that was mainly after about 1.5 hours had passed and the fucker wasn't over yet. I guess the new one gets at least that, but I'm not sure I should give them credit for "tightening" things up a bit when it could well have been unintentional.

So I'm just going to leave it at >= 7.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Firefly

I had an odd introduction to this series by watching Serenity first, and I thought, "holy shit this is a bad movie".

At some point later I thought I'd try out Firefly as it is still raved about, and I enjoyed it despite the film. My impression of the film in hindsight is that I think every series is allowed some cheesy-ass moments with quippy one-liners, happy endings and whatnot, but that film is like a feature-length episode filled with those moments and little else.

So anyway, I enjoyed Firefly the first time around (which was quite a few years ago, not sure how many). I thought I'd watch it again, and it surprised me that I couldn't remember a single episode (yet no trouble remembering the characters). This time around, I'm amazed that some people think that this is noteworthy sci-fi. It's basically cowboys in space. And if that's what you want, pretty charismatic, amusing, light-hearted cowboys in space with easy-going plots involving rustling space-cows and fighting for dear ladies being slighted, then you'll probably enjoy this. But that's all it is, with an added bonus that the episode quality is consistent (and from a critical perspective, that bonus is noteworthy considering that so many first-seasons of otherwise noteworthy series were relatively bad).

When I look back on all the episodes, the final one (without being any kind of finale, thanks Fox) was probably the best, yet I understand why none of them stuck in my head, because none of them were particularly memorable to me even though I've just watched them. In stark contrast to say TNG that I probably know all the episodes well enough despite not having watched them in years (and despite TNG's episode quality is far more variable including many that I would not volunteer to watch again).

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Minority Report 7/10 - good blockbuster style sci Fi flick. Seen it ages ago, wanted something to pass the time before bed. Definitely a major plot hole but it is paced well and it's a good sci Fi premise. Tom Cruise doing Tom Cruise.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

It was Sci-fi in a time when there was not much out there for fans. Was it good sci-fi? Yes, based on what else has been presented to us, it was pretty good.
The fact is there just isn't much good Sci-fi out there, Firefly gets high ratings just for being competent.

Reactions: Muadib

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'm not a big fan of Up despite the critical acclaim. My comparison was just based on that public opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.