NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 850 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i decided i was watching too much depressing stuff and that i needed to go back to QUALITY so i downloaded the entire series of
Excel Saga - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240493/

which is best described by its own title, "wacky experimental animation". (keep in mind this is stuff from 20 years ago)
Excel Saga is a comedy.
Excel Saga has a plot, but it's almost irrelevant to the series.
Excel Saga does not have to make sense.

Essentially what you get is 26x 25min episodes of subverting tropes; Excel Saga does not attempt to cater to the Anime audience, in fact it often does the opposite. There are two garbage protagonists who are incapable of even basic human feats, Excel - an exuberant and thoroughly incompetent young girl who has just started working as a secret agent for a buffonish "secret organization" - and Hyatt, her incredibly frail companion, who embodies the trope of the "weak bodied, weak willed" Asian girl stereotype to the point of fainting, if not outright DYING from the most minute effort.
Together these two idiots try to accomplish the "mission of the day" and fail miserably, while the largest part of the episode focuses on secondary characters, tropes, absurdities.
For instance, the very first opening scene introduces the protagonist, Excel. And she gets hit by a bus and dies. Only for a magical entity called "the plot" to revive her. This entity is completely abstract, and has no relevance to the actual storyline at all.

it's .. weird. It's funny. Funny in a CYNICAL way. If you really, really *hate* anime, you should watch Excel Saga. if you find all the hyper-troped anime characters to be absolutely insufferable, you should watch Excel Saga, because Excel Saga hates tropes as much as you do, if not more.

Come on, they even have a Mexican Immigrant character called Pedro whose sole purpose in life is to suffer.

Watch it, you'll like it.

8/10

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Old Guard (starring Charlize Theron): 7/10

(Recommended by someone in this thread:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...om-resident-evil-movies.2588056/post-40446513 )

an elite para-military group who are immortal.
they cant die. they heal really fast.
but they can be hurt and they can feel pain.

For people centuries old and want to change the world for good, why arent they rich?

i'm thinking of the movie Highlander (aka 'There can only be ONE!') where the immortals have amassed fortunes over the centuries.

Why hide out in abandoned buildings and caves?
Why dont they have safe houses all over the world?

and the prologue scene leads to a possible sequel.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched The Rainmaker - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119978/

starring Matt Daemon with Danny DeVito supporting, Danny Glover as the judge, John Voight is the same evil lawyer he always is, and also every other actor in hollywood: roy schneider, virginia madsen, mickey rourke, etc.

It's Erin Brockovic but not as good as. Damon is cool (notice his souther accent in scene 1 quickly disappearing) and the dialogue is decent, DeVito is ok, Voight is the same as always, but the screenplay and direction is meh - shocking, given that none other than Francis Ford Coppola was at the helm. Erin Brockovic focuses ONLY on the case and associated investigation which makes it far, far more interesting.

6.5/10

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
The 13th Warrior. 6/10
I’m revisiting 90s movies that I’ve only seen once or not at all. I saw this on opening weekend and that’s all I can remember about it.

I really like the atmosphere of this movie, it was one of the first movies that didn’t make time periods look extra clean and with brand new costumes and sets that didn’t look like sets. I like how the focus was on title character and 2 others. The other warriors were to add to the story, not distract. Contrast that with all the dwarves in the Hobbit movies, and you can see how smart people used to be about writing.

The bad: editing. The beginning has a clear but short and abrupt setup. The ending is just, okay bye! Also, out of all the fighting, only a few scenes didn’t suffer from camera movement vagueness, but not to be confused with Bourne movies or Quantum of Solice shakey cam. I know it was intentional the plot at first, but after that it was rough.

Also, the sound mix was bad. I had to crank it up to hear dialogue. I don’t expect this to be fixed soon if at all. The movie tanked and is underwater by tens of millions. So restores or conversions will be someone using a preset and pressing click. No director’s cut to fix the editing or flow. Crichton is dead and McTiernen left the movie business after this flopped.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
And The Walking Dead is finally being stabbed thru the skull:

https://tvline.com/2020/10/14/las-finest-cancelled-season-3-spectrum-originals-fox/

But it has 2 more spinoffs coming. Better Call Saul is ending after 6 seasons, which means the spinoff actually ran longer than the originator. Walking Dead World Beyond apparently didnt kill it with viewers, only getting 2 seasons total. But theres two other shows besides this one on the way. Doctor Who getting yet another season. South Park hitting 26 seasons with no plans to end it. Which is shocking when you consider how it started. Party Of Five reboot appears to have one short season. Solid evidence taking an old title and making something new with it may not be an automatic winner. American Horror Story gets season 13, and a spinoff has been approved. Also amazing to me that it could go longer than most other shows. Atlanta gets seasons 3 and 4 ordered but no word on how they intend to film it. Always Sunny in Philadelphia is going to have season 18, again shocking when you consider its a dirt cheap show about dumb assholes. And more.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched The Zero Theorem - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2333804/

which is Terry Gilliam's last "trilogy" film, together with Brazil and 12 Monkeys.

I obviously watched this the day it came out and, just as obviously, hated it. Like 12M it has the style, but doesn't seem to go anywhere. And TZT is even worse at trying to establish a plotline.

Some guy with a terrible accent is a computer program stuff thingie dude. He computer program stuff thingies daily, over and over. He's trying to find teh ultimate computer thingie program stuff that will solve all the other thingie stuffs. It's left purposely vague what these thingies are.
The same exact character, abstract dream woman, from every film like this, all the way down to Dark City, shows up to titillate him and promise him happiness should he succeed at his task. While this is going on, several circus-sized weird people (midgets, comically-huge moustachees, stripey-beachwear strongmen, etc..) show up just to be seen. The entire film is a visual gag, just random assortments of colors and shapes.

What this film fails at where Brazil succeeds, is that Brazil tries to paint a world which is realistic, but cannot because it's a dystopia. I'm not sure what TZT tries to be, but it's nothing that i can relate to IRL.
I should disclose that i wasn't happy with 12M either; it tries to point towards a big revelation, a big final secret that never comes, and instead ends with a completely mundane explanation. Idk, maybe you guys will like it more than i did.

It stars the incredibly gorgeous Melanie Thierry as the "dream woman"
M%C3%A9lanie_Thierry_D%C3%A9jeuner_C%C3%A9sar_2018.jpg

a terribly miscast Matt Damon as the evil company director, the german guy from Django as the lead, and a whole bunch of weirdos, including Tilda Swinton in the same character as she was in Snowpiercer.

wouldn't recommend. 6/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Courage Under Fire - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115956/

eh;
so-so film vaguely inspired by Rashomon, the re-telling of a story from different points of view.
Army captain Nat Sterling (my man Denzel) is examining a requets for Medal of Honor for cpt Walden (Meg Ryan), first woman in her position blah blah blah. The various soldiers involved in the accident are telling different stories, in one Walden is a hero, in another a coward, or even a criminal. Will the truth come out?
Props to Ryan for acting out the different type of person she is said to be by each different soldier. Denzel Washington has done better stuff.

not great, really. 6.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Mauritanian - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4761112/

The story of a guy who was suspected of being a al-Quaeda recruiter, abducted to Guantanamo, tortured, etc. The lot.
Starring Jodie Foster (excellent) as the defense lawyer, and Benadryl Cucumbersandwich (horrid) as The Worst North Carolina Accent You Have Ever Heard.
Oh and some guy as the Mauritanian.

Aside from the horrible Cumberbatch, Foster was good, but the story is just boring. It's just not enough for a film. The titular character isn't even a "hero" that we want to win, he's just some guy, MAYBE even guilty, that the audience has no way to relate to.

This film has currently a rating of 7.3/10 on IMDb but i suspect the reason is that it's being watched only by a specific subset of people who want to foment their inner rage at the shocking injustice of Guantanamo, but for me, it's just yawns all the way down.

Random lawyer finds edgy probono case. Files motion for habeas corpus. Motion passes. Film over.

5.5/10 - for entertainment
7/10 - as a "documentary"

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
boy not a lot of activity in this thread lately uh?

I have tried and failed once again to watch Mulholland Drive - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/

all i can say is that i have found a YouTube video that manages to explain the film in under 3 minutes. And, while it certainly has that "you'll never watch FILM_NAME the same way again" quality to it, i didn't feel like i wanted to watch Mulholland Dr again.
I mean, i did. But not the whole film. Only those two minutes where Missy Crider's incredibly perky nipples attempt to drill through her shirt. On repeat. (44m44sec on my copy)

my vote: WTF/10

... i really dream of Lynch making at least one new "proper" film before he retires. The guy has talent, he's a fabulous actor, and has that important quality that he doesn't give a fuck. But for dumb people like me, i wish he would make another Dune. Like, a straight film. With a plot. With the story advancing through the plot in chronological order. Without .. weirdness?
Do it David.
Do it for the dumbos.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Raya and the Last Dragon

Solid if unspectacular effort. Entertaining but not groundbreaking.

7/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The new Family Guy sucks ass.
Not one laugh out of me. I used to love the show.
Now their most common joke is commentary on how lazy and uninvolved they are with the show.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Wandavision: 7/10

1. I love me some good Avengers movies
2. I understand why they did the first couple episodes how they did. But I felt like it could have had more punch & pizzazz.
3. I also wish the ending had had more "pop". This felt a bit like a filler movie in the same vein as Captain Marvel
4. Really great graphics for a TV series. Absolutely amazing what they can do these days!

1. Loved the throwback costumes for Halloween, amazing
2. Paul Bettany is so underrated. Loved him since Knight's Tale. His makeup/CGI/whatever on his face was really great!
3. Recasting her brother was the highlight of the show for me lol. I think X-men Quicksilver should get his own show!
4. They need to make a Jimmy & Darcy show. Just like two average people loafing around in the Avengers universe haha.
5. I'd really like to see a whole movie made about the witches. The Dr. Strange-style post-credits scene in the finale seemed to allude that there'd be more, with Wanda in the center of it all
6. C'mon lucky Captain Fury on the Skrull spaceship!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Mulholland Drive is thoroughly engaging and then everyone in the production apparently hit the hardest, most hallucinogenic drugs they could find.

Reactions: zinfamous

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'm not saying Mulholland Dr is BAD, i'm saying it's not for me. I do not have the patience .. or attention span, even, to watch it in full.

I stand by my statement that Lynch ought to punctuate his career with more "standard" films because when he does, they are works of art.

But then again, there are people who react to Dune the way that i react to Mulholland Dr .. so ..

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i'm not saying Mulholland Dr is BAD, i'm saying it's not for me. I do not have the patience .. or attention span, even, to watch it in full.

I stand by my statement that Lynch ought to punctuate his career with more "standard" films because when he does, they are works of art.

But then again, there are people who react to Dune the way that i react to Mulholland Dr .. so ..

I love them all. I only recently saw Dune, finally, and thought it was brilliant. I was surprised by how amazing it was. It was the most non-Lynchian Lynch movie and I was surprised by how much I loved it.

Mulholland Drive is one of my favorites. I don't have to understand it--I don't think Lynch wants you to understand it. I'm not sure that he does. It's one of those films that puts you just on the cusp of comprehension and then jabs a dagger into your kidney: You can make plenty of logical, brilliant connections, once you start connecting timepoints and alternative personalities and it all starts to sound nice and cozy, and then BAM! micro interdimensional Betty White golem shows up and punches you in the dick.

I love it.

Reactions: Muadib

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I only recently saw Dune
I only recently saw Dune
I only recently saw Dune
I only recently saw Dune
I only recently saw Dune
I only recently saw Dune
I only recently saw Dune
I only recently saw Dune

.. you WHAT?

Is there anything else we should know? Any films you, eh, may have missed? Idk, Star Wars, The Godfather .. you know, obscure titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.