NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 848 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm going to have to watch these again. I don't like his politics, but love most of his movies.
His movies are great, just not all of them. I think his simple badassery was more appreciated back then, but lets be honest, the stories were quite simple and kinda silly.

His best film ever was Unforgiven and thats mostly because he was showing how killer gunslingers would probably end up.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
His movies are great, just not all of them. I think his simple badassery was more appreciated back then, but lets be honest, the stories were quite simple and kinda silly.

His best film ever was Unforgiven and thats mostly because he was showing how killer gunslingers would probably end up.
His best film to me was Grand Torino. That's because my father had one, and wouldn't let me drive it. I loved that car. Million Dollar Baby was my next fav.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
oh my god, Million Dollar Baby is an exercise in sadness, i genuinely see that film as an act of cruelty against humanity. Couldn't we just let her win that fucking championship ?

Reactions: zinfamous

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Tennet - Nolan's latest flick. If you thought Inception was a trip - then this is equally so (the dialogue, less so). Freaking mind boggling time loops. I watched it late and had trouble sleeping because I was still trying to figure stuff out. Did a really good job of keeping me engaged 8/10.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
oh my god, Million Dollar Baby is an exercise in sadness, i genuinely see that film as an act of cruelty against humanity. Couldn't we just let her win that fucking championship ?
I'm actually ok with a downer ending, so long as theres a plot and a decent character or two.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Unforgiven is one of my favorite films. The whole thing is just so perfectly constructed in subtly building up this "myth" to lead that perfect final scene.

That moment when after all that time, you suddenly see in Gene Hackman's eyes that the shit has filled his pants.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Enforcer is actually quite meh.

6 / 10

Its like Clint was already getting bored with the role. Other than some very brief social commentary on female police, its a dud.

manon_op

Feb 21, 2021
www.myanimeforlife.com
Re: Creators 8/10 rewatched this anime and it is still good.

I like that as well! Really good show!

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Harley Quinn animated show over on HBOMax 7/10
Been scrolling past it for a while just thinking it was another kids show but I saw somebody post about it over on Reddit and thought I give it a go. It is not a kids show by any means. They kind of go over board on the first episode or two to drive that point home but over all it is a pretty fun show. Helped to pass time while I've been home due to the weather over the last week.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Apartment

8 / 10

Not as good as I remember, but still better than most.
If you ever wonder why Shirley MacLaine or Jack Lemmon ever got so many good roles over the years, this is the one to help you understand. Also if you were ever curious what Fred MacMurray looks like as a complete son of a bitch this is a good one too.
It aged well thanks to its smart yet earnest script, and a tale that's pretty much immune from the social changes incurred during the 60's and 70's.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Sudden Impact

4 / 10

A very nice concept, poorly done. And clearly everyone involved was not actually interested in yet another Dirty Harry movie.
This is a new one for me, I didn't see it back in the day so its not like any nostalgia was involved. The Dead Pool I've seen many times so I don't need to watch it again. Now I think I'll go back to something I like but haven't seen recently. Probably Lord Of The Rings.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Resident Alien - SyFy TV Series.

I really dislike formulaic TV shows and don't watch many but am really enjoying this. I'm through 3-epsiodes and its pretty refreshing. Alan Tudyk as Harry is a riot and the writing is really good.

Big Black and his sidekick deputy are hilarious.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The Green Inferno - 7/10 on Netflix

Eli Roth's homage to Cannibal movies of the early 80's. Some really unexpected scenes and twisted takes in this horror film that will leave you really questioning the Director's vision!

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Is that the one with Jim Carrey?

No, that's Dead Pool. Eastwood really mailed it in and is beyond campy. Heck even GnR is in it. Although the fortune cookie joke is good.

The end of Unforgiven...amazing how the bottle can transform a man.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Freaks and Geeks - 7/10

I'm surprised I never saw a single episode up until my brother recently let me borrow the DVD set and I got to sit through and watch it. I cannot be the in frame of people that saw this 20 years ago and I like it but I think it's a "tad" overrated. It's good and I love the cast, I think the acting of a few at times is a bit rough like they are just straight up reading lines, but it's overall a really fun series. I think it actually got better a little bit in, love the music of course.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Unforgiven is one of my favorite films. The whole thing is just so perfectly constructed in subtly building up this "myth" to lead that perfect final scene.

That moment when after all that time, you suddenly see in Gene Hackman's eyes that the shit has filled his pants.

I didn't like the ending though :(

• Wow

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004

Yes it is a really sad movie. People tend to forget that the sorrow part last pretty much the whole 2nd half. I still think it's a really good movie but damn did it pull my heart strings.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The Collector - 6/10

A solid horror/torture offering that has some really gruesome scenes in it. Writing is thin, which is good. A few solid kills but really this one focuses on the torture aspect as its writers came from the Saw franchise.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Legend (1985)

Largely because of the Ridley Scott thread(s?), I decided to revisit this film from my childhood. Meh.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I made a brief report of Welcome To The Dollhouse last year but forgot to rate it.

9 / 10

But only if you can appreciate a dark, realistic, ugly look at teenage life. If you want something cute and fluffy this is not the film for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.