NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 847 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Have you watched the Hobbit series yet? I never did because I knew they went more child like and less dark for that series, and I figured I'd hate it. Peter Jackson can be super corny. But now that I have a pretty nice little setup at home, I'm thinking of watching.

Oh I thought you meant there are two more coming. Hobbits trilogy is a bore.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Oh I thought you meant there are two more coming. Hobbits trilogy is a bore.
Well after fellowship of the ring you got the two towers and return of the king. But you knew that.

I figured the Hobbit would be much worse. But now that i can just rent it on a big TV I may as well slog through them

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Wait what? There is more?
he means Pt2 and Pt3 - Fellowship is Pt1, Two Towers is Pt2, Return Of the King is Pt3.

i should point out that only THE WEAK watch LOTR one film at the time. Real Men marathon tf out of that 10hour runtime.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well after fellowship of the ring you got the two towers and return of the king. But you knew that.

I figured the Hobbit would be much worse. But now that i can just rent it on a big TV I may as well slog through them

no don't watch them. They are terrible. And basically just an obnoxious, extended cartoon. If you want to watch a stupid boring cartoon, watch the original Hobbit. It's way better.

Jackson crammed a bunch of extraneous bullshit into those to make 3 movies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
High Fidelity - 6/10

I remembered liking this movie when I saw it years and years ago but when I was discussing some movies with friends and this came up I couldn't exactly remember why I did and went back to watch it. It.... really isn't as good as I remember. Sure John Cusak is great but I am a fan of his in nearly everything. The plot is razor thin, there really isn't much going on the entire movie and even the conclusion is ho hum. I feel like the movie could've developed things a bit more around Cusak's instead of focusing on pretty much him alone and his shenanigans. I did like Jack Black but again like much of the movie his purpose in it is rather small, there really isn't much of a reason for him to be in the movie other than maybe the last few minutes.. Overall I still like it to an extent but this just screams out to me a movie that hipsters would love and is really overrated.

Lisa Bonet 10/10

Reactions: zinfamous

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
no don't watch them. They are terrible. And basically just an obnoxious, extended cartoon. If you want to watch a stupid boring cartoon, watch the original Hobbit. It's way better.

Jackson crammed a bunch of extraneous bullshit into those to make 3 movies.

The Hobbit movies were a straight up cash grab, no reason it should've been more than 1.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
A Time To Kill - 9/10

I hadn't seen this since it was new back in 96 and my wife had never seen it and picked it on HBO Max last night.

It's crazy how relevant a lot of the movie is still today, especially from 2016 and on. The whole jury thing felt very relevant as well with the impeachment trial that just happened. I don't want to turn this into P&N but that is what the movie really made me think about.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
A Time To Kill - 8.5/10. The last third makes it good.

Body Brokers - 7/10. Not that interesting but well done.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For the first time in about 30 years I watched Dirty Harry.
Astonished at how bad it is. The story is meh, as is most of the action. The only thing holding it together is Clint Eastwoods performance which in retrospect isnt nearly as kick-ass as I remember.

6/10

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
John wick's. 9/10 - great action movies, acceptable plot. Should be a fourth one at some point

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
For the first time in about 30 years I watched Dirty Harry.
Astonished at how bad it is. The story is meh, as is most of the action. The only thing holding it together is Clint Eastwoods performance which in retrospect isnt nearly as kick-ass as I remember.

6/10
it's a film that was groundbreaking at the time. Specifically, Eastwood's character. The story is completely secondary.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Magnum Force

7 / 10

Better ending.
Still slow, and tedious, and Harry Callahan isnt as badass as my brain recalled after 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.