NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 846 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the Gauntlet: 7/10

Its fine for a 2 hour window at night when you've got nothing else going on. I like watching Clint Eastwood play a lovable loser. And I love hearing Sondra Locke talk dirty. There were monstrous plot holes but if I have fun, its still OK.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The series Colony - Netflix. Season 1 - so far I like it. SciFi that's mostly a drama. The writers don't seem to assume I have only a 5th grade education. The acting is good, for a series. I pick-up on almost all of the writers' hints - but they throw enough curve balls in to keep me on my toes. There are two more seasons to watch - hopefully it doesn't go down hill.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i also watched Willy's Wonderland - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8114980/

eh .. it's not great. I mean, we obviously all knew from the trailer what this film was going to be.

Spoiler tag because it's a new film
- not that there is anything to spoil, once you've seen the trailer.

W.W. is the story of The Janitor; a man who does not speak, driving through the southern US, he is set up in an obvious trap. His car is roadspiked and he is forced to take a night's work in the titular amusement arcade, where he is expected to be eaten alive the monsters within. As the night beings, the taciturn janitor is attacked by the residing bad guys, who he proceeds to punch to death - possibly thanks to the mysterious drinks that the janitor keeps ingesting every hour, regular as if his life depended on it.

Superficially, the concept is good. We got Cage who is the half-spent star, you put him in a role where he has no dialogue and enforce this by him having actually NO dialogue for the whole film. You got a bit of mystery with the on-the-hour soda drink, a good bit of action violence, a final girl, and bam! that's your slasher flick.

The execution is not great. First, obvious extremely low budget ($5M total lol), mediocre fight scenes, which already hurt the initial premise; we knew we were gonna get a tired Nicolas Cage kicking the ass of some animatronic puppets, and we were cool with it, so why not invest some more and make it a good animatronics-getting-asskicked-by-Nicolas-Cage ?
Obviously the asskicking is the main focus here.

Second, it's supposed to mock slasher films, so *some* jumpscares or, y'know, anything horror, would have worked well here.

We do get a final girl but she comes in tow with an overly-large cast of sacrificial victims / director's friends, who are both bad actors and also badly framed characters.
The final girl is .. horrible. If there is any horror in this film, is the look she gives Cage in the final scene, when all of her friends were just now murdered by demonic robots. You would think Nicolas Cage's acting is bad, you need to see this girl.

Script-wise, it needs a few extra passes of polish, and it could have been better. I see potential if they improved both on the horror, specifically on the initial tension-building, but also on the comedy. You KNOW people are not going to take this film seriously, so why not add a couple of laugh scenes towards then end? Once the story has been laid out, what have you got to lose?

Shame of a film. I still found it interesting to watch, as an experiment. Let's see what you can do with Nicolas Cage, an idea, and five million dollars.

My vote: 6/10, unless you take the film seriously, in which case 5/10.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Every once in a while I'm in the mood for some really bad acting and a terrible story line, so I rewatched Valley Of The Dolls. ;) " You're not the bread winner either". "You know how bitchy Fags can be". "Her hair is a phony as she is". That dame sings great, now you sound like a frog".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have been trying to watch as much BoJack Horseman as i could, starting with S01E01 and have finally caught up to the first episode i ever saw, S03E04.

As for the series, it's ok. I like it but it's not in the same realm of Rick & Morty, or even Bob's Burgers. A good Bobs Burgers episode is really something.

Anyway, for some pure stroke of luck, i started watching this never-watched-before series from the episode named "Fish Out of Water", which is BY FAR the most surreal BJH episode (at least insofar), and one of the greatest tv episodes i have ever seen of anything.
BoJack is sent to once again promote his films in a city which is fully underwater. Everything is submerged, no "big glass dome" or anything. BoJack has to wear a bubble helmet for the entire episode short of the first minute of so, and due to this helmet and him being underwater, he cannot drink, cannot smoke, and cannot talk. So the entire episode is about him not being able to talk, and yet trying to communicate.
Until the very last second.

unfortunately the other episodes are not as good, but it's still a decent show. 7/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So, after hearing about Sex and the City for decades I finally set aside some time to watch the first episode.
Almost made me nauseous.
Vapid does not describe it.
We need another word besides vapid.
I think that word should be carrie.

Its basically everything wrong with the American Female in 27 minutes. And I'm not surprised it was so successful. I'm also now understanding the incredible affect it had on the female brain and how it shaped America.
Kinda sad. But also kinda funny.

0 / 10

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
High Fidelity - 6/10

I remembered liking this movie when I saw it years and years ago but when I was discussing some movies with friends and this came up I couldn't exactly remember why I did and went back to watch it. It.... really isn't as good as I remember. Sure John Cusak is great but I am a fan of his in nearly everything. The plot is razor thin, there really isn't much going on the entire movie and even the conclusion is ho hum. I feel like the movie could've developed things a bit more around Cusak's instead of focusing on pretty much him alone and his shenanigans. I did like Jack Black but again like much of the movie his purpose in it is rather small, there really isn't much of a reason for him to be in the movie other than maybe the last few minutes.. Overall I still like it to an extent but this just screams out to me a movie that hipsters would love and is really overrated.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
An American Pickle - 5/10

My opinion of Seth Rogen has sank quite a bit over the past 5 years but I was willing to give this a chance. It's nice to see Rogen throwing shade at the current state of things coming from both sides of the spectrum (since he is super one sided) but the problem is the movie fails to be funny. It has some clever things here and there but overall sort of lost my interest halfway through but I ended up finishing it. Perfectly average movie imo.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
High Fidelity - 6/10

I remembered liking this movie when I saw it years and years ago but when I was discussing some movies with friends and this came up I couldn't exactly remember why I did and went back to watch it. It.... really isn't as good as I remember. Sure John Cusak is great but I am a fan of his in nearly everything. The plot is razor thin, there really isn't much going on the entire movie and even the conclusion is ho hum. I feel like the movie could've developed things a bit more around Cusak's instead of focusing on pretty much him alone and his shenanigans. I did like Jack Black but again like much of the movie his purpose in it is rather small, there really isn't much of a reason for him to be in the movie other than maybe the last few minutes.. Overall I still like it to an extent but this just screams out to me a movie that hipsters would love and is really overrated.
Its a character study.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
The Little Things - 3/10 - Way too slow with way to little payoff. The movie is about two cops that are determined to stop a serial killer no matter the cost. The serial killer itself is really just a McGuffin, the show would have played the same almost no matter why the cops decided to go all bad cop and worse cop. The show is really about character development and the characters are just not interesting enough to be worth developing.

Agreed, the movie is just plain boring imo. It moves way too slow for it's own good.

Reactions: purbeast0

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched Easy Money with the late great Rodney Dangerfield. 7/10

Silly 1980s movie. Joe Pesci was so young in that movie. Rodney was funny and alive. Bring back the 1980s!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If you refer to your kid as "50 months" you probably shouldn't have kids.

On an unrelated note: Loudermilk is pretty funny.

9 / 10

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched Monster Hunter. Wasn't expecting much and it did not over deliver. 5/10, tops. Several parts just made no sense, including the ending. The most entertaining part for me was watching my wife squirm at the gross parts and jump scares. Also, it had more production company credits at the beginning of the reel than any other movie I've ever seen. I think it might have been a dozen.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Watched Monster Hunter. Wasn't expecting much and it did not over deliver. 5/10, tops. Several parts just made no sense, including the ending. The most entertaining part for me was watching my wife squirm at the gross parts and jump scares. Also, it had more production company credits at the beginning of the reel than any other movie I've ever seen. I think it might have been a dozen.

Looks like it only has 5 production companies.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Greenland 2020. Terrible cast, terrible director, terrible storyline, bad acting. Where are Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruse when you need them?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched again, for the .. uh .. sixth time? a film which i grew up with - A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069159/
in the original Italian ... so to speak. These spaghetti-western films were often shot with each actor speaking his own language, and then overdubbing the film. So whether you watch it in English, Italian, Spanish, etc, you'll still be watching a dub. Stars James Coburn and Bud Spencer, also starring Telly Savalas.

During the first war of secession, a group of criminals are due to be hanged for various crimes. On the gallows the execution is halted and they are offered the chance to complete a suicide mission, they will be freed: to recapture Fort Holman, an important resupply point that could turn the tide of the war. No explanation is given as to why this mission is left to a gang of criminals.
As they embark on their mission, the gang makes it clear that they will run away at the first chance, but their leader, disgraced US Colonel Pembroke, has a way to keep them in line - the promise of half a million dollars in gold, buried in the center of the fort.

It's important to understand that to us europeans, Spaghetti Westerns are straight westerns. As in, "serious" films. The fact that there's comedies in them doesn't change that we feel the same way for Good Bad Ugly as we feel for Trinity. Instead A Reason To Die is .. well, a straight western. Despite having Bud Spencer in it, there's no big brawls and superhuman strength, but rather guns, cowardice, treason, and madness.

It's an old film, the photography is some of the worst you will ever see, but it's a good story, told with care.

My vote: 7/10 - the rather interesting "dark side" of spaghetti westerns.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
LOTR - Fellowship of the Ring - in 4K streaming - still a beautiful movie and a pleasure to watch. Will always transport me to the magical world of Tolkien. Can't wait to see the next two again.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I found Pot Zombies - when they get the munchies, you get wasted - in the discount bin at a thrift store. Anyone seen it? Is it worth fifty cents?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
LOTR - Fellowship of the Ring - in 4K streaming - still a beautiful movie and a pleasure to watch. Will always transport me to the magical world of Tolkien. Can't wait to see the next two again.

Wait what? There is more?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Wait what? There is more?

Have you watched the Hobbit series yet? I never did because I knew they went more child like and less dark for that series, and I figured I'd hate it. Peter Jackson can be super corny. But now that I have a pretty nice little setup at home, I'm thinking of watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.