NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 844 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Anyone watch the Kong, Godzilla trailer? 8/10

Godzilla (2014): 8/10 I liked the film. So, in the Kong, Godzilla trailer why is Gidzilla on a rampage? In the 2014 version he helps out mankind and heads back into the sea. I've read that Mechagodzilla will make his appearance. That would be cool.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
everyone knows that Godzilla is alternatively a destroyer and a protector, as the script dictates.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
everyone knows that Godzilla is alternatively a destroyer and a protector, as the script dictates.

Yea, but what about Kong? In the trailer it looked like he was kicking Godzilla's booty.
Then, there is mechagodzilla. :eek:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
American Hustle (2013)

Well worth a watch. Interesting and atypical characters, not typical hollywood stuff.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Wife and I have been watching Schitt's Creek. I know we are late to the party, but really never thought about watching it until it recently won a lot of awards. It is absolutely hilarious. I love every damn character, except the daughter. She is so annoying, but plays the role great. 8/10 for me.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have watched the extremely boring historical film The Dig - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3661210/

starring the fantastic Ralph Fiennes, sadly in a film that gives him very little chance to do his thing.

The Dig is a incredibly dull and boring film about the excavation of Sutton Hoo, a british archeological site of debatable importance (unless you happen to be british, in which case it's the holy grail), where a gentleman named Basil Brown starts to dig in a bunch of burial mounds on the property of Edith Pretty. As they are literal mounds of earth, they do not put up much resistance in being dug, and the digging goes on as you would expect it to. Eventually, stuff is found, wherein the protagonist is dismissed. Wohoo !

This incredibly boring and dull film about an actually relevant archeological find is not only too long (by its entire runtime, i would say) but also must have stemmed from the insane idea that a film about A FUCKING GUY DIGGING DIRT was somehow exciting enough to necessitate a film being made about it.

5/10 - only valid for the period recreation

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
i have watched the extremely boring historical film The Dig - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3661210/

starring the fantastic Ralph Fiennes, sadly in a film that gives him very little chance to do his thing.

The Dig is a incredibly dull and boring film about the excavation of Sutton Hoo, a british archeological site of debatable importance (unless you happen to be british, in which case it's the holy grail), where a gentleman named Basil Brown starts to dig in a bunch of burial mounds on the property of Edith Pretty. As they are literal mounds of earth, they do not put up much resistance in being dug, and the digging goes on as you would expect it to. Eventually, stuff is found, wherein the protagonist is dismissed. Wohoo !

This incredibly boring and dull film about an actually relevant archeological find is not only too long (by its entire runtime, i would say) but also must have stemmed from the insane idea that a film about A FUCKING GUY DIGGING DIRT was somehow exciting enough to necessitate a film being made about it.

5/10 - only valid for the period recreation

Now you just need to watch The Dog (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3091304/) and your life will be complete. :p

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I just watched all 10 episodes of Ted Lasso over the last two days. What a delightful comedy. Highly recommended.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Wife and I have been watching Schitt's Creek. I know we are late to the party, but really never thought about watching it until it recently won a lot of awards. It is absolutely hilarious. I love every damn character, except the daughter. She is so annoying, but plays the role great. 8/10 for me.

The misses and I just finished watching it. I have to agree that it is a exceptional sitcom. I don't want to spoil anything for you, because it is all good, but the most amazing thing about the show is that the characters actually grow as the show progresses. We thought the same thing as we watched the show, especially about the daughter, the kids were just unlikable. Then something amazing happens for a sitcom. The characters learn from their mistakes and grow as human beings. It is hard not to fall in love with them just a little bit.

Minor spoiler about the character arcs. I put this in spoilers so you can go back and read it later. I know that spoiling this little bit would have annoyed me when I was watching it.
One thing that I really loved is that just like in real life the older the person is the less the experiences they have change them. The mom barely changes at all through the series, and in the end they tell you why. She has been poor in her life, she is not learning anything new from this. She chooses to be who she is.

Reactions: zinfamous

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I'm a Canuk and sick of trump. I can't imagine where the american audience for this programming is . I understand the motive to exploit an audience's recent memories of past events but a series on the disaster that just was ? Like a drama on terrorism three days after 9/11 ? Good luck.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I like how the way she says "Da-vid!" became a catchphrase. It's rather brilliant.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm a Canuk and sick of trump. I can't imagine where the american audience for this programming is . I understand the motive to exploit an audience's recent memories of past events but a series on the disaster that just was ? Like a drama on terrorism three days after 9/11 ? Good luck.

Hehe, I like this comment.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Orange is the New Black, season 1. 6/10 - geez, what a messed up show. Passing on the other seasons.
Don't know if it's realistic, but don't care after watching it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Been watching the serial " Your Honor" where a judge has to cover up his son''s involvement in the hit and run which killed the son of the local mob boss . Mr Boss is screamingly violent and we are asked to accept he would kill the judge''s son should the Mr Boss ID the son as the one responsible.It all gets very tense and complicated and there's corruption everywhere, the local cops being the NO police department.

Bryan Cranston carries the judge's role very well and if you like his scheming intelligence when at odds with authority you might like this.
7/10

I really liked the first couple of episodes, but man this series has fallen off so much, especially the last couple of episodes. What the son is doing getting close to Rocco's sister looks like torture to me, like it's going to rip the heart out of her when she finds out the way her boyfriend just left her brother to die in the street like he was nothing. The son deserves so much to be killed.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Orange is the New Black, season 1. 6/10 - geez, what a messed up show. Passing on the other seasons.
Don't know if it's realistic, but don't care after watching it.

Doubt it's very realistic. Don't think you can just go to the chapel to clamsmack with no guards around watching in a real prison.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Especially something looking to glorify Comey. Makes me want to puke the rehabilitation this guy's image has undergone after he was one of the main reasons Trump got in office.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For the multitudes of people who just assumed and never bothered to look it up:

Orange Is The New Black is based on a book, written by a middle class white woman who went to prison and wanted everyone to know about her experiences. Season 1 is taken directly from the book and later seasons slowly moved away from non-fiction to more ridiculous drama.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Soul [8/10]

typical Pixar fashion: feelings
fish, cars, even feelings having feelings.
now souls.

cute, altho some things didnt make sense.
and that sugary sweet happy ending. uggg.
Even Bambi's parents got dead...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

Until the other day, it must have been about 35 years since I last saw this film, back when I was a miniature human and was scared of the child catcher.

This is a very odd film to watch as an adult. For starters, a childrens' movie weighing in at nearly 2.5 hours?!? It has some serious pacing issues and probably half an hour that could have been left on the cutting room floor, maybe even 90% of the first half of the film (I literally only remembered from the point that the grandfather is kidnapped).

If I forgive the first half of the film for boring me out of my mind, the rest still made me smile from time to time.

I'm largely posting this review as a warning to any parents who vaguely remember this film being enjoyable and are considering showing it to their kids.

Also, watching it with my German wife (who hadn't seen it before or knew anything about it) was an interesting experience, considering how German "Vulgaria" was obviously intended to be, right down to good portions of the film being shot there.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968)

Until the other day, it must have been about 35 years since I last saw this film, back when I was a miniature human and was scared of the child catcher.

This is a very odd film to watch as an adult. For starters, a childrens' movie weighing in at nearly 2.5 hours?!? It has some serious pacing issues and probably half an hour that could have been left on the cutting room floor, maybe even 90% of the first half of the film (I literally only remembered from the point that the grandfather is kidnapped).

If I forgive the first half of the film for boring me out of my mind, the rest still made me smile from time to time.

I'm largely posting this review as a warning to any parents who vaguely remember this film being enjoyable and are considering showing it to their kids.

Also, watching it with my German wife (who hadn't seen it before or knew anything about it) was an interesting experience, considering how German "Vulgaria" was obviously intended to be, right down to good portions of the film being shot there.

Motion for ban! How dare you try to cut chitty chitty bang bang!

Reactions: soulcougher73
Status
Not open for further replies.