NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 794 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Rewatching Apocalypto on Amazon Prime and it's every bit as amazing as I remember it. Man, what a ride! Wish I had the chance to see it on the big screen back in 2006.

Rented the Blu-Ray when it launched and was completely blind-sided by it. I knew nothing going in but ran out to buy the movie ASAP the same day I returned the rental.

Reactions: snoopy7548

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Think it was mentioned a long time ago in this thread, but will say again, "Rush" is very, very good. Saw it yesterday, excellent acting and very good racing footage. 8.5/10.
Edit: tells the story of the F1 rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichinisan

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (custom Special Edition) 9/10
(Fan Edit from Hal9000)

He combined the best out of all the Episode IV editions released.
ie: added extended + deleted scenes, crisper color, Han shot first, removed the scene where Han is talking with Jabba the Hut, etc

One minor complaint:
The jail break scene to rescue Princess Leia seemed worse than the original.
Too much looping of control panels and cameras being destroyed. i thought it was unnecessary.
He could have kept it at just destroying 1 camera and 1 panel instead of looping it 3 or 4 times.

In the past, George Lucas was ok with fan edits of his Star Wars movies.
It looks like Disney is keeping that tradition. (His download link apparently has been up for years after Disney took over.)

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11E0YIEljumy6vTAXz2EHDtigBaV-paYV
(The Tiny version is smallest at 978megs.)

If you want pure Star Wars, check out the 4k77, 4k80, and 4k83 versions.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Star Wars: Rogue 1 (fan edited version by Hal9000): 8.5/10

He did eliminate the opening Star Wars scroll at the beginning of the movie. :(

the biggest change was that the heroes didn't meet the pilot till they were captured in Saw Guerilla's camp.

He couldn't fix the plot holes about the Empire's slow response to Rebel attacks, both at that scientist's base and at the base where the Death Star plans were kept.

this film is free and LEGAL for download. George Lucas allowed free distribution of fan edits and apparently Disney kept that tradition.
just google Hal9000 Rogue One
Rogue One: Where Rebels Dare 9/10
(Fan Edit of Star Wars: Rogue One by TM2YC)

While i liked Hal9000's edit of Rogue One, the missing opening scroll normally found on all Star Wars movies really bothered me.
so i watched this Fan Edited version of Rogue One and I liked it better.

The biggest impact was keeping the scene where Capt Cassin kills his informant at the beginning of the movie.
That made it ALOT more believable that he will follow his secret orders to kill later in the movie.

In Hal9000's version, the entire scene between Cassin and the informant was eliminated. (He tweaked the plot such that the Rebels already had that info.)

Like Hal9000, TM2YC made the beginning less disjointed.
Hal9000 did this by eliminating entire scenes where as TM2YC re-ordered the scenes.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Narcos (Season 2): 6/10

season 1 was a great gripping drama.

Season 2 couldnt hold my attention.
i know this is based on real life but after Pablo unreasonably started raising the taxes on his Lieutenants for no reason then killing his Lieutenants out of what seemed like paranoia, i stopped being interested.
i knew this is where his downfall started.
Narcos (Season3) 9/10

great, griping drama just like Season 1 but could have used some more female nudity.

did the show say why the surveillance guy doesnt like guns even tho he was in the military?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Narcos (Season3) 9/10

great, griping drama just like Season 1 but could have used some more female nudity.

did the show say why the surveillance guy doesnt like guns even tho he was in the military?
so i started watching Narcos Mexico (season 1) aka Narcos Season 4.

it's about weed.
i thought they went from coke to weed? going backwards in glamour?

then recognized the pilot flying the plane.
he's the head of one of Mexico's cartels in Narcos Season 3. (played by the same person)
Why is he taking orders and ferrying people around like an errand boy?

then realized the time setting.
Narcos took place in the 1990s.
Narcos Mexico is taking place in the 1980s.

so Narcos Mexico is a prequel. :eek:

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D is getting a season 7. I just found out.
And it starts May 27th.
I just found THAT out.
So I need to catch up on season 6, probably with binging.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so i started watching Narcos Mexico (season 1) aka Narcos Season 4.

it's about weed.
i thought they went from coke to weed? going backwards in glamour?

then recognized the pilot flying the plane.
he's the head of one of Mexico's cartels in Narcos Season 3. (played by the same person)
Why is he taking orders and ferrying people around like an errand boy?

then realized the time setting.
Narcos took place in the 1990s.
Narcos Mexico is taking place in the 1980s.

so Narcos Mexico is a prequel. :eek:
Narcos Mexico (season 1, up to episode 5) 8.5/10

im 1/2way done and is good.
the only quip i have is that if a girl is furiously riding him, edit out her almost flesh color panties or not bother showing her from the waist down. :rollseyes:

unfortunately, i predict the rest of this season wont be as gripping for me.

Events in episode 5 reminded me of something from the final scene of last year's Narcos (Season 3).
that scene gave away part of what's going to come. :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Rookie got a third season.

I like it because of maybe half the actors, who are great.
As a police dramedy its actually humdrum and not worth much. Starts out kinda funny at the beginning of season 1, turns dark fast, and never really comes back. But there was a very nice plot twist at the end of season 2.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Prime : No Beast So Fierce
A B movie that ends up a 10!
tried to watch it.

gritty but slow.
at the 30min mark, why did that secretary who he only met for a few min come volunteer to help him out at the risk of her job?

stopped watching it after that plothole

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War 6.5/10
(Animated DC Comics movie that comes out about twice a year)

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War” Animated Movie Cast Announced ...

Starts off with the Justice League falling within the 1st 10min of the movie.

immediately im thinking there will be a time travel Deus ex Machina to save the day.
surprisingly it doesnt happen.

But the end fight was stupid.

And then there's the twist to the Flash's 'Flashpoint Paradox' side story which i guess will be resolved in the next DC animated movie.

1st paradox: Flash's mom lives and Bruce Wayne's dad becomes Batman :eek:
2nd paradox: Stopping his younger self from saving his mom.
And now a 3rd paradox where his mom maybe lives again? sigh...)

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Birds of Prey (AND THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN) 5/10

Harley Quinn finally got her own movie.

unfortunately, the storyline was stupid and campy. Margot Robbie was great as usual as Harley but she cant save this movie.
rest of the cast was ok except the Huntress. She was awful, from her origin substory to her awkwardness.

but if you enjoy the Batman tv show of the 1960's you would probably enjoy this.
holy.. just found out that asian pick pocket girl in the movie is Batgirl in the comics. (Same name)

Wonder if they will go anywhere with this in future movies?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
holy.. just found out that asian pick pocket girl in the movie is Batgirl in the comics. (Same name)

Wonder if they will go anywhere with this in future movies?
Umm, wait, no.
Batgirl in the comics is Commission Gordons daughter.
Right?
Right?
Wrong?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Umm, wait, no.
Batgirl in the comics is Commission Gordons daughter.
Right?
Right?
Wrong?
after Barbara was shot by the Joker, Cassandra Cain became the new Batgirl. she's asian in the comics.
same name and ethnicity in the Harley Quinn movie.

then DC comics rebooted and Barbara was never shot thus stayed as Batgirl. Sigh.. reboots

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Malcolm in the Middle is pissing me off.
The kids are assholes. They're not funny. They're just assholes.
The parents are horrible. They are also quite unfunny.
The handful of humorous, iconic scenes in the series arent worth trudging thru all the crap.

I think I may start X-Files instead. I didnt watch it back in the 90's cuz it seemed boring. Now I may be able to enjoy it.
SHOOT! I forgot I meant to catch up on Twin Peaks. May do that first.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Rewatching Apocalypto on Amazon Prime and it's every bit as amazing as I remember it. Man, what a ride! Wish I had the chance to see it on the big screen back in 2006.

Rented the Blu-Ray when it launched and was completely blind-sided by it. I knew nothing going in but ran out to buy the movie ASAP the same day I returned the rental.
History Buffs was not so happy about that film :p

i watched two films, one sort of good, the other absolutely horrible.

BLACKkKLANSMAN - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/

another Spike Lee film.
I have mixed feelings about Lee, i like him as a director, but sometimes he can go overboard with the black-empowerment thing.
But B.K. is essentially a comedy/investigation film. John Washington (afaik in his first lead role) plays Ron Stallworth, a 1960s black kid who joins the police force and immediately tries to get ahead, and while his police chief isn't too fond of a rookie - any rookie - thinking that much of himself, he goes along with it (ooh, the 60s) and lets him pull a sting on the KKK, which Stallworth does by pretending to be a white power sympathizer.

Good film, well directed, also starring Adam Driver in a part that does *not* suit him, reasonably entertaining, but even more so if you don't first read up on the story this is based on, which is pretty much exactly as portrayed in the film, with a few storytelling liberalities here and there.

fun enough. 7/10 - it could use more comedy

And actually, i watched THREE films, because i also watched

Mudbound - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396589/

Which is ALSO a film about racism (coincidence - i wasn't on a anti-racism bender or anything), telling the story of two 1940s families in rural Alabama, one white, one black, and how their stories intermingle, but - while the film has received a heap of praise - a massively depressing film where everyone is a negative character and eventually everyone dies.

Would not recommend, unless you have something to expiate, because jesus, you can do better with your time.

6.5/10 - i'm not sure what the purpose of putting this to film was, if not to make you feel bad.

And then .. having watched a tiny, 30 clip of this that was funny, i watched nearly half of

Sukiyaki Western Django - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0906665/

What an incredible pile of shit.

It rightly enough opens with a fat and old Quantin Tarantino dressed as Clint Eastwood, and trying to pull off a pathetic ol'western accent, and then it becomes a kung-fun/western action film where the director, Takashi Miike, wants you to know he can art because every now and then there will be a scene ALL IN YELLOW, and then another ALL IN BLUE.
But that is not enough, ooh no, no. Because the entire film is in a fake chinese accent. EVERY ACTOR PRETENDS TO HAVE A BAD CHINESE ACCENT. FOR THE WHOLE FILM.

FUCK. YOU.

This pile of shit is the worst film i have seen since the SW prequels, and i've seen some pretty shitty movies. I just want to fill a whole post with the word shit.

4/10 - you need to be the world's worst fucking weaboo to like this shit.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The handful of humorous, iconic scenes in the series arent worth trudging thru all the crap.
Agreed. I loved this show growing up but I have no desire to go back to it.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I think I may start X-Files instead. I didnt watch it back in the 90's cuz it seemed boring. Now I may be able to enjoy it.
SHOOT! I forgot I meant to catch up on Twin Peaks. May do that first.

I'll make a point to avoid watching reruns of that show. I don't want to be reminded that the otherwise awesome Bryan Cranston was somehow involved with that garbage.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
History Buffs was not so happy about that film :p

i watched two films, one sort of good, the other absolutely horrible.

BLACKkKLANSMAN - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/

another Spike Lee film.
I have mixed feelings about Lee, i like him as a director, but sometimes he can go overboard with the black-empowerment thing.
But B.K. is essentially a comedy/investigation film. John Washington (afaik in his first lead role) plays Ron Stallworth, a 1960s black kid who joins the police force and immediately tries to get ahead, and while his police chief isn't too fond of a rookie - any rookie - thinking that much of himself, he goes along with it (ooh, the 60s) and lets him pull a sting on the KKK, which Stallworth does by pretending to be a white power sympathizer.

Good film, well directed, also starring Adam Driver in a part that does *not* suit him, reasonably entertaining, but even more so if you don't first read up on the story this is based on, which is pretty much exactly as portrayed in the film, with a few storytelling liberalities here and there.

fun enough. 7/10 - it could use more comedy

And actually, i watched THREE films, because i also watched

Mudbound - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2396589/

Which is ALSO a film about racism (coincidence - i wasn't on a anti-racism bender or anything), telling the story of two 1940s families in rural Alabama, one white, one black, and how their stories intermingle, but - while the film has received a heap of praise - a massively depressing film where everyone is a negative character and eventually everyone dies.

Would not recommend, unless you have something to expiate, because jesus, you can do better with your time.

6.5/10 - i'm not sure what the purpose of putting this to film was, if not to make you feel bad.

And then .. having watched a tiny, 30 clip of this that was funny, i watched nearly half of

Sukiyaki Western Django - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0906665/

What an incredible pile of shit.

It rightly enough opens with a fat and old Quantin Tarantino dressed as Clint Eastwood, and trying to pull off a pathetic ol'western accent, and then it becomes a kung-fun/western action film where the director, Takashi Miike, wants you to know he can art because every now and then there will be a scene ALL IN YELLOW, and then another ALL IN BLUE.
But that is not enough, ooh no, no. Because the entire film is in a fake chinese accent. EVERY ACTOR PRETENDS TO HAVE A BAD CHINESE ACCENT. FOR THE WHOLE FILM.

FUCK. YOU.

This pile of shit is the worst film i have seen since the SW prequels, and i've seen some pretty shitty movies. I just want to fill a whole post with the word shit.

4/10 - you need to be the world's worst fucking weaboo to like this shit.

yeah, I love Apocalypto but, don't accept it as historically accurate. I mean, it's Mel Gibson ffs, what do you expect? :D But, I think it is "close enough" on the general themes, that it is both entertaining without stupidly insulting (Braveheart could be "somewhat insulting" in a way).

OK...one issue with the first bit of that video is complaining that Jaguar Paw's village isn't accurate for a Mayan village of the time. ...they aren't supposed to be a Mayan village. They are an entirely different community, that do not share in the same culture or religion as the, what we are to take as "the Mayans" eventually show up and capture them to be used in the ceremony. (another problem with the critique--it doesn't matter if the village was too small or poor for pillaging--they were there explicitly to capture people. that's the effing point).

This region was mostly Mayan, but there were other dominant, massive native groups at the time, which did overlap in time and geography, in some places. South America had the Aztecs and the Incas. But this also means, as with today, you will have pockets of small, indigenous people that simply aren't part of any of those tribes. They might trade...might, but there is no certainty that they would. The fact that when the captives are brought to Tikal, or whatever the city is supposed to be, are completely bamboozled by the ritual, the sport, the markets, shows that they aren't Mayans--at least, they aren't the same people that are their captors. There isn't any reason, in what the film has established, to think that their small village should look similar to the large city in terms of technology.

This criticism is like arguing that the very real, very current indigenous people that live in the Amazon "wouldn't really exist" because their villages look nothing like Sao Paolo. It assumes that they are all "Brazillian" ...meaning Portugese invaders. Which is stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ichinisan and CZroe

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
tried to watch it.

gritty but slow.
at the 30min mark, why did that secretary who he only met for a few min come volunteer to help him out at the risk of her job?

stopped watching it after that plothole
Said it was a "B" flick that grows. You bailed after 1/3. It was only 90 minutes. try try again. o_O

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
History Buffs was not so happy about that film

Yes, I'm aware, but their criticisms basically evaporate if you delete the last 30 seconds of the film where they introduce a pointless anachronism and change smallpox to Y.Pestis, which has also been theorized to have decimated them during times of famine by driving starving rodents into to cities and grain stores. The viewers were never told that was smallpox anyway. Also, many of the critics don't seem to realize that the vast majority of natives who died of smallpox never saw a white man. It spread so fast it arrived ahead of them in most places.

Regardless, the movie isn't supposed to be a historical documentary. It's a chase film that uses the setting to make a pretty high-pressure chase scenario and builds huge spectacle around that. It's a great movie. It was never meant to be a great documentary.

I just don't understand why no one ever talks about its merits as a movie... beyond historical accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: zinfamous

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I watched Red Sonja for the first time in 30 years.
It was not good. Thats probably why I didnt watch it for 30 years.

2/10

Bad even by bad movie standards.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I was just scrolling through netflix and want to pass on a recommendation for The Good Cop. Comedic cop show starring josh groban and tony danza. Very underrated, I think it only got one season. From the creator of Monk

Status
Not open for further replies.