NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 792 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Fargo is my favorite Coen Bros movie. Now, I can't think of a single TV series based on a movie that I have liked or maybe even watched. I'm kind of allergic to TV series to begin with. I haven't watched one other than the occasional exceptional series that I buy on disc in many many many years. So, the same but not the same.

I did buy Serenity, but that's the opposite. A movie that resulted from a (short run) TV series (one season), Firefly (which is really good!).
I second the Fargo recommendation. I wasn't a big fan of the third season, but the second season is some of the best TV of the 2010s.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Did you actually watch the show? The temporaries in Oakland is just a smoke screen for the shows sci-fi/horror elements, It is quite obviously meant to be a meta farce of the style of Tyler Perry movies.
Show? What show? I was commenting on Sorry to Bother You. Yes, I watched that movie. And, TBH, I'm whiffing on the meta farce of Tyler Perry movies. I have no idea what you're talking about. Well, the movie basically annoyed me, as I recall.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Fan Edit of Game of Thrones combining Season 7+8 into 11 episodes: 9/10
(watched 9 of the 11 episodes so far)

www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comments/djtjyv/game_of_thrones_complete_seasons_78_edit/

fixed many of the problems with Season 8.
He re-arranged scenes, fixed sudden changes to character arcs, and eliminated plotlines that didn’t have a payoff.

He also eliminated some WTF scenes.
but he still left the Night King dragging the dead dragon out of the water with those heavy chains that he got at the Home Depot north of the wall location.

He also didnt modify or explain why the Dothraki were still using their regular weapons to fight the walking dead. :(
he left the scene as is with Melisandre coming to save the day at the last minute by adding fire to those weapons.

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Wayne. 7/10. Very similar to The end of the f**ing world. By the writers of deadpool, about a badass kid and his journey to retrieve his fathers car after he dies. I found The end.. better.

Wayne is good, another show on Youtube. I agree on all accounts. I really enjoyed End of the F'ing World too. Wayne is a very entertaining watch. Decent story and lots of ridiculous action, but whatever. Never going to win any awards, but still enjoyable. Also on Youtube is Impulse. Almost done with season 2, and I would recommend it. I have been sleeping on Youtube for TV and movies, catching up with them now. There are several quality titles.

Devs - FX production on Hulu - 9/10

Science fiction mini series by Alex Garland (Ex Machina). Refreshingly different, plot is crazy, and there is no figuring out what is coming next.

Parts were really good, others were too slow. I suspect that was intentional though. There are some great twists in there, and it is hard to figure out. Not the biggest fan of the ending, but overall a good watch. I really just want Offerman to narrate a book to me when I am trying to go to sleep. Had a very slow monotone voice and its relaxing in a weird way.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Narcos (Season 1): 9/10

great gripping story based on the life of Colombian drug kingpin Pablo Escobar.

but the guy who plays Pablo seems wooden.
or Pablo doesnt get mad or happy in real life?
Narcos (Season 2): 6/10

season 1 was a great gripping drama.

Season 2 couldnt hold my attention.
i know this is based on real life but after Pablo unreasonably started raising the taxes on his Lieutenants for no reason then killing his Lieutenants out of what seemed like paranoia, i stopped being interested.
i knew this is where his downfall started.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Bosch season 6.7.Not one of their better seasons.A weak 7.

Strongly disagree. I give Bosch season 6 an easy 9/10, the best season since the first and maybe the strongest overall. A masterclass of writing over special effects, the best show on TV at maintaining that many different storylines and keeping them all interesting. I'd like to give the Bosch showrunners a stab at reshooting Game of Thrones last two seasons, they would improve immensely.

The one caveat is you have to commit to really watching Bosch, especially this last season. There are a lot of separate threads that are difficult to follow if you're not paying close attention and details that only pay off later. It can't be on as background noise when you game, text or surf.

Last edited:
Reactions: MtnMan

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ikiru (生きる, Japanese for "To Live"): 10/10

Movie about a soul-less paper pushing bureaucrat who finds out he has stomach cancer and likely only has months left, and then realizes he has completely wasted his life until then and is determined to make it mean something in the little time he has left.

I think it might be the greastest film I have ever seen and I don't want to say much more about it for fear of spoiling anything for someone who hasn't seen it.

Funny I only came across it because I'm studying Japanese and one of the example sentences in my textbook was:

私が一番感動した映画は「生きる」です。
watashi ga ichiban kandou shita eiga wa ikiru desu.
[The movie I was most touched by is "Ikiru (To Live)".]

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Ikiru (生きる, Japanese for "To Live"): 10/10

Movie about a soul-less paper pushing bureaucrat who finds out he has stomach cancer and likely only has months left, and then realizes he has completely wasted his life until then and is determined to make it mean something in the little time he has left.

I think it might be the greastest film I have ever seen and I don't want to say much more about it for fear of spoiling anything for someone who hasn't seen it.

Funny I only came across it because I'm studying Japanese and one of the example sentences in my textbook was:

私が一番感動した映画は「生きる」です。
watashi ga ichiban kandou shita eiga wa ikiru desu.
[The movie I was most touched by is "Ikiru (To Live)".]
1952 movie or 2007 tv film?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Out of boredom I watched Office Space again. Had forgotten how perfect a film it was. Not just a film, but an experience.

11/10 - Surreal and sublime.

Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Out of boredom I watched Office Space again. Had forgotten how perfect a film it was. Not just a film, but an experience.

11/10 - Surreal and sublime.

One of my favorite movies. I probably watched it with my friend about 20 times when it came out. If you've ever had an office job, you can relate to pretty much everything in it.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Narcos (Season 2): 6/10

season 1 was a great gripping drama.

Season 2 couldnt hold my attention.
Bummer, I'm halfway done season 1 and I feel the same way about the actor playing Pablo. It feels like an actor trying really hard to portray a real person rather than suspending my disbelief.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Bummer, I'm halfway done season 1 and I feel the same way about the actor playing Pablo. It feels like an actor trying really hard to portray a real person rather than suspending my disbelief.
He is wrong. Season 2 is fantastic. As is season 3 and both of the Mexico seasons.

Reactions: zinfamous

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
He is wrong. Season 2 is fantastic. As is season 3 and both of the Mexico seasons.
if this was a fictional story, then Pablo raising the taxes of his Lieutenants then killing his Lieutenants would be a wtf plothole just to force the story to shift into his downfall.
He was a brilliant businessman/crimelord up to that point. There was very little reason to do that to his Lieutenants.
if this was fictional, i would be screaming at the stupid writers.

and even tho this is based on a true story, i still reacted as if it was lazy writing and became disinterested.

starting season 3 now...

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Scoob - 6 or 7 out of 10 - my 5 year old son loved it but I thought it was just alright. It doesn't feel at all like a "traditional" Scooby movie/show at all.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The Book of Eli (2010)

Simple plot, some nice twists, well directed and acted I thought.

I enjoyed it for the most part. I remember thinking that Mila Kunis wasn't the right choice for her role.

The guy who wrote that film was the editor in chief of PC Gamer magazine for a while. Kind of surprised me when I saw it in the final credits.

I read years later that a braille copy of the book the lead character was carrying would take up a huge amount of space. But that's not a big deal, just a movie factoid.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
1917. I was pretty excited to see this movie. It looked amazing. It did look amazing. That's it. Not a lot of story. I didn't really care about the characters. Some of the acting sucked.

It was like eating cotton candy. It tastes great but it's just air and sugar.

6/10

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
eh? for a ten year old movie?
In a thread where people are supposed to look for recommendations about things they presumably haven't seen, new or old?

...and where another member obviously just watched for the first time?

...for discussing a plot detail relatively easy to obfuscate for those who haven't seen it?

There was no reason to spoil that even for a 10 year old movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.