NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 791 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

My wife really wanted to see this. I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't get it on DVD, but it was worth a watch IMO. It has a slight 'Breakfast Club' vibe to it (I have a sneaking suspicion that the question that the teacher asks them in detention is possibly a match between both films, but that could be a staple of detention in American schools? <shrug>).

Between 'The Breakfast Club' and this, I'd choose TBC easily though.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Creature or The Titan Find 5/10
This is a B movie Alien rip off from 1985. It isn't good but they did a lot smartly with what they had to work with. I'm probably rating it a bit high just because of nostalgia. Has a pretty good head explosion in it. It was on Tubi.
I wonder if that's the Alien-like ripoff I remember watching as a kid, probably early/mid 90s.

For some reason I've been trying to remember what the movie's name is recently but there's no way I'd get it and it would take me forever to go thru B-Movie sci-fi from 80s/90s.

I watched the trailer for the one you posted and I can't tell. I seem to remember the alien creature being kinda slow, and less "bony" than the ones from the Alien movies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The series literally just started a few days ago with all the commercials touting that it's from the duo who brought us Rick & Morty.

Definitely not a "previous" series.
oh.
i was deceived by the fact that there's several episodes already out.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ugh ...

The Witcher S01E01 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/

It's not good. ..

I 've never liked "period" films if the language and behaviour immediately takes me to modern times. I know this is supposed to be fantasy, but it's still middle-ages inspired, but it never manages to create the necessary disbelief to make me think i'm watching these characters, instead of a bunch of actors.
Monster was pretty bad - simple CGI and typical internet design - fights were fairly good, but too much shakeycam. And, unrealistic, even for superhuman characters. Too many tropes, and when the show tries to reverse a trope, it falls under the weight of the previous tropes. It's over-troped.

didn't like it. will not be watching more.

6/10 - mediocre entertainment.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
ugh ...

The Witcher S01E01 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/

It's not good. ..

I 've never liked "period" films if the language and behaviour immediately takes me to modern times. I know this is supposed to be fantasy, but it's still middle-ages inspired, but it never manages to create the necessary disbelief to make me think i'm watching these characters, instead of a bunch of actors.
Monster was pretty bad - simple CGI and typical internet design - fights were fairly good, but too much shakeycam. And, unrealistic, even for superhuman characters. Too many tropes, and when the show tries to reverse a trope, it falls under the weight of the previous tropes. It's over-troped.

didn't like it. will not be watching more.

6/10 - mediocre entertainment.
I guess my friend was just saying it was good because his last name is "Witcher."

I never played the game or watched the show but I recall hearing elsewhere that the show was good. The author of the book/franchise sold all rights well before the first game was released ~13 years ago but I heard he was trying to get back in through legal avenues after seeing it get bigger than he ever imagined. He feels he's entitled to more even though he sold it lock, stock, and barrel and everything that has happened since then was not his work. He obviously didn't respect it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Sorry To Bother You - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5688932/

very weird, very trippy film that is hard to describe without spoiling anything.

Cassius Green is a young black man looking for a job, and finds it in a telemarketing company; in a dystopian not-far-off world where there is so little work that people sell themselves into slavery, Cassius manages to do really well at his new job.

This is a weird, weird film, with some great visuals and some interesting editing, a good pace, and ok directing - it could do better at the great reveal, and the pacing is a bit off (too fast, actually) but otherwise worthy of your attention.

Watch 20 minutes, i think you'll like enough to watch the whole thing.

7.5/10 - wikipedia thinks this is a "black" film

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I wonder if that's the Alien-like ripoff I remember watching as a kid, probably early/mid 90s.

For some reason I've been trying to remember what the movie's name is recently but there's no way I'd get it and it would take me forever to go thru B-Movie sci-fi from 80s/90s.

I watched the trailer for the one you posted and I can't tell. I seem to remember the alien creature being kinda slow, and less "bony" than the ones from the Alien movies.

You barely see the alien in the movie. They use the mind control gimmick so the alien will kill somebody and then use their body to kill more people.
The only thing I really remembered from the movie before rewatching it was the character Bryce the security lady
She is a handsome woman.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
12 Monkeys (Terry Gilliam, Brad Pitt 1995) 9/10

Saw brief discussion of this a couple months ago as pandemic was ramping up, along with talk of Contagion and Outbreak (both of which I went and saw ~2 months ago). Just got around to watching this last night, the 2005 Special Edition DVD release. There have been almost 1/2 dozen releases, including a 2018 blu-ray 4k re-rendering of the negatives.

Well, much more than what I was expecting. Very impressive. Difficult in that it uses a sci-fi trick that I hate, being time travel. But I persisted, and although way past my bedtime, no trouble being tired, bored or looking for an end... that's a good sign.

Brad Pitt's performance! Really, who else could have pulled that off? IMO, nobody. Amazing! The fact that Kevin Spacey beat him out for Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars for his role in The Usual Suspects just mystifies and really makes me mad. I bought that DVD, watched it one time and thought it was crappy.

Went to Wikipedia for a look at the plot. Good idea for a repeat viewing, because I was hazy on some stuff.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i watched Sorry To Bother You - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5688932/

very weird, very trippy film that is hard to describe without spoiling anything.

Cassius Green is a young black man looking for a job, and finds it in a telemarketing company; in a dystopian not-far-off world where there is so little work that people sell themselves into slavery, Cassius manages to do really well at his new job.

This is a weird, weird film, with some great visuals and some interesting editing, a good pace, and ok directing - it could do better at the great reveal, and the pacing is a bit off (too fast, actually) but otherwise worthy of your attention.

Watch 20 minutes, i think you'll like enough to watch the whole thing.

7.5/10 - wikipedia thinks this is a "black" film
This was a dud to me. I spent 10 years working the temporaries in Oakland, so I have first hand knowledge of the scene.

IMO, an infinitely better Oakland, CA movie is Blindspotting. Really WORTH seeing.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005

Saw brief discussion of this a couple months ago as pandemic was ramping up, along with talk of Contagion and Outbreak (both of which I went and saw ~2 months ago). Just got around to watching this last night, the 2005 Special Edition DVD release. There have been almost 1/2 dozen releases, including a 2018 blu-ray 4k re-rendering of the negatives.

Well, much more than what I was expecting. Very impressive. Difficult in that it uses a sci-fi trick that I hate, being time travel. But I persisted, and although way past my bedtime, no trouble being tired, bored or looking for an end... that's a good sign.

Brad Pitt's performance! Really, who else could have pulled that off? IMO, nobody. Amazing!

Went to Wikipedia for a look at the plot. Good idea for a repeat viewing, because I was hazy on some stuff.
The TV show was okay. I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi and time travel, but it went off the rails after the first season.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt interactive movie
Didn't rate it because you already know if you are going to watch it or not. It is a nice little addition to the series with a few LOL moment. Lillian Rules!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Puppet Masters - 5/10

I saw this when it first hit HBO and had forgotten how crummy it is. Starts off really well, veers away from the book dramatically and by the end is substandard action nonsense.
This along with Starship Troopers is the reason Heinleins family no longer allows anyone to make movies from his books. Which is a shame because a smart director could probably make excellent films from his stories. Like all good books though, Heinleins material is probably better as a miniseries than one film.
But thats life.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Brad Pitt's performance! Really, who else could have pulled that off? IMO, nobody. Amazing!

La Jetee

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Wait a second. Heilein wrote Puppet Master a book about killer puppets is what went through my mind reading that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I saw this when it first hit HBO and had forgotten how crummy it is. Starts off really well, veers away from the book dramatically and by the end is substandard action nonsense.
This along with Starship Troopers is the reason Heinleins family no longer allows anyone to make movies from his books. Which is a shame because a smart director could probably make excellent films from his stories. Like all good books though, Heinleins material is probably better as a miniseries than one film.
But thats life.
I read this when I was around 13. Quite a good book. Reread it not too long ago. To me, it was virtually an introduction to sci-fi. Didn't know they'd made a movie from it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Devs - FX production on Hulu - 9/10

Science fiction mini series by Alex Garland (Ex Machina). Refreshingly different, plot is crazy, and there is no figuring out what is coming next.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I read this when I was around 13. Quite a good book. Reread it not too long ago. To me, it was virtually an introduction to sci-fi. Didn't know they'd made a movie from it.

Donald Sutherland and Keith David.
NOT career highs. Its pretty bad unless you love sci-fi movies and are not obsessed with sci-fi books.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

But thats life.
i didnt like the cut of you jib mister.

despite missing the almost titular mechanized infantry (power-armour suits) the Paul Verhoeven film is a solid representation of the themes contained within the book.
After a brief google turned out little info, the estate of Heinlein copyright seems to be held by a lawyer. Given how the Verhoeven film was accused of "endorsing fascism", the same accusation that the book received during its publication, then i have no problem to think that those accusing Verhoeven of having ruined the book are just as idiotic as those who initially read the book.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My wife and I have been watching ‘Ozark’ on Netflix. It is very good, highly recommended.

We have also gotten into ‘Fargo’ the TV series which is also amazingly good.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My wife and I have been watching ‘Ozark’ on Netflix. It is very good, highly recommended.

We have also gotten into ‘Fargo’ the TV series which is also amazingly good.
Fargo is my favorite Coen Bros movie. Now, I can't think of a single TV series based on a movie that I have liked or maybe even watched. I'm kind of allergic to TV series to begin with. I haven't watched one other than the occasional exceptional series that I buy on disc in many many many years. So, the same but not the same.

I did buy Serenity, but that's the opposite. A movie that resulted from a (short run) TV series (one season), Firefly (which is really good!).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Fargo is my favorite Coen Bros movie. Now, I can't think of a single TV series based on a movie that I have liked or maybe even watched. I'm kind of allergic to TV series to begin with. I haven't watched one other than the occasional exceptional series that I buy on disc in many many many years. So, the same but not the same.

I did buy Serenity, but that's the opposite. A movie that resulted from a (short run) TV series (one season), Firefly (which is really good!).

I felt the same way about the Fargo series but honestly it is a completely different story and it is really really good. It has a couple plot tie-ins to the movie but the characters are completely different. I’d give it a 9/10.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This was a dud to me. I spent 10 years working the temporaries in Oakland, so I have first hand knowledge of the scene.
Did you actually watch the show? The temporaries in Oakland is just a smoke screen for the shows sci-fi/horror elements, It is quite obviously meant to be a meta farce of the style of Tyler Perry movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.