NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 714 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Lethal Weapon 3rd season TV show - 8.5/10. I really had some reservations about how good it would be, bringing Stifler into it. They bring him into it the right way and explain his background enough. Its different that the other seasons, but honestly its better. More humor and overall more enjoyable. Yeah, the gun play is just as infuriating. But its a comedy and forgivable. Unlike TWD and their atrocious gun play. The stories are always so outlandish and a firefight in literally every episode, but knowing its a comedy and not a police drama makes it ok for me. I have watched all 10 episodes this season, and looking forward to the rest. Just a really good comedy series with some decent life lessons in it as well.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
After watching it I do remember seeing it but wasn't in the mood for it back then (like 10 years ago) now I really like it 8.5+/10. I really liked it definitely a thought provoking film. Did the watch the sequel Man from Earth; Holocene? its like a 7/0.
No, I have not. Frankly, after reading the reviews, I'll pass. Horrible sequel apparently this is.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Lethal Weapon 3rd season TV show - 8.5/10. I really had some reservations about how good it would be, bringing Stifler into it. They bring him into it the right way and explain his background enough. Its different that the other seasons, but honestly its better. More humor and overall more enjoyable. Yeah, the gun play is just as infuriating. But its a comedy and forgivable. Unlike TWD and their atrocious gun play. The stories are always so outlandish and a firefight in literally every episode, but knowing its a comedy and not a police drama makes it ok for me. I have watched all 10 episodes this season, and looking forward to the rest. Just a really good comedy series with some decent life lessons in it as well.

Agreed. The transition between the two worked, and Stifler fits right in.

Nov 29, 2006
The movie looks horrible - did from the beginning. And I'm a huge Ferrell fan and even HUGER JCR fan.

Yeah. I watched the trailer and it didnt make me chuckle once. The "jokes" were lame and childish. Not funny, will not watch. Except i hate Farrell lol

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I checked out Bodyguard recently after I think seeing it mentioned here a couple times. I'd give it 8/10 (I'm on the second or third episode so take my score for an early estimate). It kept me interested, especially the first episode I thought it did a pretty great job of gripping the viewer. Seems like it's a pretty down-to-Earth drama/action series, with not a lot of flash (which is just fine by me). I'll definitely keep watching.

And I started Operation Chromite last night but haven't quite finished it. It's typical over-the-top Asian filmmaking (seems to me like Asian movies tend to be over-the-top and flashy/overly emotional) but I actually stayed up way longer than I intended to cause I didn't want to shut it off, so I guess that says something. It's definitely no Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan or Tae Guk Gi (Korean film about Korean War; quite good) but I think it's pretty decent.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm 2 episodes into Escape at Dannemora and I'm hooked. I'll finish it over the next few nights probably. Del Toro owns as usual.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I finally watched Unbreakable since Glass is coming out in a couple weeks.
8/10

Looks like I have to watch Split as well.
Dammit.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
The Kominsky Method Netflix 7.9/10

I suspect you may have to be over 65 or so to really get this one. Starts a little slow but episode 4 and on are gold. I have a friend like Alan Arkins character (minus the giving me 300k part) and I see myself in Michael Douglas, perhaps a little too much. Lots of cameo appearances also. Danny DeVito as the Urologist, LOL
I usually dont watch anything like this, just discovered it by accident. 8 half hour episode so it goes by fast.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 2/10
What a piece of shit. Even worse than it's predecessor. I can't think of one thing I like about this except for the CGI which continues to impress. Christ this was horrible.

Night Will Fall - 8/10
This is a documentary about the making of the post-WWII documentary commissioned to chronicle and provide evidence of the concentration camps and their horrors. The post-WWII film was never officially completed until just recently (the finished video can be found here
) . I had no idea about the history of this film but overall this documentary about it was pretty interesting and, as you can imagine, horrifying as well. Just brutal brutal footage. When an 80 year old, hardened ex-soviet soldier camera man, wearing all his medals and awards gets choked up talking about what he saw and dealt wit 70 years ago, you know that even the footage can't convey the horrors of his memories.

I now have to watch the original movie that was to be released in 1945.

Reactions: Thebobo

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Bird Box - 6/10. Not terrible, but not that great. It was very predictable with a canned feel-good ending. I wanted them all to die except John Malkovich.

[QUOTE="Homerboy, post: 39704537, member: 14031]
Night Will Fall - 8/10
This is a documentary about the making of the post-WWII documentary commissioned to chronicle and provide evidence of the concentration camps and their horrors. The post-WWII film was never officially completed until just recently (the finished video can be found here
) . I had no idea about the history of this film but overall this documentary about it was pretty interesting and, as you can imagine, horrifying as well. Just brutal brutal footage. When an 80 year old, hardened ex-soviet soldier camera man, wearing all his medals and awards gets choked up talking about what he saw and dealt wit 70 years ago, you know that even the footage can't convey the horrors of his memories.

I now have to watch the original movie that was to be released in 1945.[/QUOTE]

I just downloaded this movie over the weekend but I haven't watched it yet.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Escape at Dannemora - 10/10 - awesome show. It's only 7 episodes but the last one is like 1:40 long which was like a movie in itself. The acting in this show is unreal and the casting is also unreal. I went and watched a documentary on the whole thing afterwards on Oxygen and it's crazy how accurate the casting was and the attention to detail they put into some of the stuff too. They changed up some stuff slightly in the show (not really sure why either) but it was pretty damn accurate and just awesome. I didn't know the story and outcome of all of this prior so it was nice to not know how it ends before watching it.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Downton Abbey 9/10

With the government off I've had plenty of time so I binged it. Really liked it, again. And yes I turned in my man card.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Which movie? Night Will Fall or the original 1945 documentary?

Night Will Fall. I'll have to take a look for the original documentary.

I actually found out about Night Will Fall from a reddit thread. People were posting the "most beautiful" pictures, or something like that, and this movie was referenced when The Last Jew (or something like that) photograph was posted.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Night Will Fall. I'll have to take a look for the original documentary.

I actually found out about Night Will Fall from a reddit thread. People were posting the "most beautiful" pictures, or something like that, and this movie was referenced when The Last Jew (or something like that) photograph was posted.

Holy crap! I found out about it in the EXACT SAME WAY. Same reddit thread/post
Ha! the internet is small.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
So many different emotions watching that concentration camp footage. Unreal what humans can do to other humans. I should go turn in my German car.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Black Monday - 7/10

New Showtime TV series. Premieres this Sunday but they released 1st episode online already. Basically a hyper-fictional story of the stock market crash on October 19, 1987. It's over the top and ridiculous (sort of akin to Shameless I think). Stars Don Cheadle and has a million faces you know but can't place. Seems pretty promising with the initial episode.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Sorry to Bother You (2018) 6.5/10

Watched last night. Expected to like it, probably a lot. Can't say I did. Why does it get 6.5 stars? I'm wondering. I live 1/2 mile from Oakland, been all over The Town for decades. Figured to dig this. It's not lost on me. I think the script kinda sucked. Tried to involve you in the characters, care for them, empathize. I couldn't. Don't know why. I spent many years with zero job security working whatever jobs I could get in Oakland and environs, but I still can't empathize with these folks. And telemarketing? That's a gig I never did and I refuse to say more than "hello" to a telemartketer these days. And white voice versus black voice? I prefer if I can tell a black person is black when I talk to them on the phone, it's a plus. It's kind of a slapstick farce all in all, I guess it has aspirations to be satirical but to me it's more an attempt to just get people laughing. I didn't laugh.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 2/10
What a piece of shit. Even worse than it's predecessor. I can't think of one thing I like about this except for the CGI which continues to impress. Christ this was horrible.

Night Will Fall - 8/10

I now have to watch the original movie that was to be released in 1945.
Night Will Fall? This isn't Night and Fog, is it? Here's what I wrote to myself about that when I saw it:

It's Criterion, 31 minutes long. I was getting tired and it was a long 31 minutes. Partly because I found the subtitles pretty hard to read (italicized grey, and they were flashed up there and removed pretty quickly a lot of the time) I must have rewound and hit pause over a 100 times. Well, dozens. Besides, the subject matter has no humor whatsoever, and that's for sure. Toward the end they didn't hold back on the gore and horror aspect. More and more shots of naked people in utterly humiliating circumstances. Starved and horribly deprived people. Narration in French. All B&W. They actually had a shot of 6-8 headless bodies and the heads piled up on the side in a tub! Then a closeup of the heads. Many other very gruesome shots. The longer it went on, the more gruesome it got, the less they held back until they seemed to show you their darkest cards. However, who knows? Maybe they withheld the most horrific stuff. They had head with eye gouged out, bulldozers (many) pushing scores of bodies into mass graves, usually emaciated. Endless shots of cadavers, often startling ones.

Shots of the stuff they confiscated and stored, such as a seeming warehouse filled with hair cut from women, shoes, etc. Shots of what they did with skin - actually made it into paper. Carpets made from human hair. What do you do with millions of people you simply want to exterminate? That's what the Nazi's were up to for over 10 years.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Sorry to Bother You (2018) 6.5/10

Watched last night. Expected to like it, probably a lot. Can't say I did. Why does it get 6.5 stars? I'm wondering. I live 1/2 mile from Oakland, been all over The Town for decades. Figured to dig this. It's not lost on me. I think the script kinda sucked. Tried to involve you in the characters, care for them, empathize. I couldn't. Don't know why. I spent many years with zero job security working whatever jobs I could get in Oakland and environs, but I still can't empathize with these folks. And telemarketing? That's a gig I never did and I refuse to say more than "hello" to a telemartketer these days. And white voice versus black voice? I prefer if I can tell a black person is black when I talk to them on the phone, it's a plus. It's kind of a slapstick farce all in all, I guess it has aspirations to be satirical but to me it's more an attempt to just get people laughing. I didn't laugh.

I think you missed A LOT about the movie.
I'd still give it 6.5 outta 10 or so - maybe a bit more. It was entertaining and certainly "something new and creative" from Hollywood. I enjoyed the style of it and I love Thompson and Stanfield.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Night Will Fall? This isn't Night and Fog, is it? Here's what I wrote to myself about that when I saw it:

It's Criterion, 31 minutes long. I was getting tired and it was a long 31 minutes. Partly because I found the subtitles pretty hard to read (italicized grey, and they were flashed up there and removed pretty quickly a lot of the time) I must have rewound and hit pause over a 100 times. Well, dozens. Besides, the subject matter has no humor whatsoever, and that's for sure. Toward the end they didn't hold back on the gore and horror aspect. More and more shots of naked people in utterly humiliating circumstances. Starved and horribly deprived people. Narration in French. All B&W. They actually had a shot of 6-8 headless bodies and the heads piled up on the side in a tub! Then a closeup of the heads. Many other very gruesome shots. The longer it went on, the more gruesome it got, the less they held back until they seemed to show you their darkest cards. However, who knows? Maybe they withheld the most horrific stuff. They had head with eye gouged out, bulldozers (many) pushing scores of bodies into mass graves, usually emaciated. Endless shots of cadavers, often startling ones.

Shots of the stuff they confiscated and stored, such as a seeming warehouse filled with hair cut from women, shoes, etc. Shots of what they did with skin - actually made it into paper. Carpets made from human hair. What do you do with millions of people you simply want to exterminate? That's what the Nazi's were up to for over 10 years.

No - Night and Fog is another Concentration Camp documentary. I haven't watched that one though. Sounds pretty similar though in regards to the footage - though that's to be expected obviously.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think you missed A LOT about the movie.
I'd still give it 6.5 outta 10 or so - maybe a bit more. It was entertaining and certainly "something new and creative" from Hollywood. I enjoyed the style of it and I love Thompson and Stanfield.
Re: Sorry to Bother You

I figure you may be right and I'll give it another try one day in a different mood, hope it'll click better.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Deadpool 2 (Once upon a Deadpool version) - 8/10 (same rating I'd give the original Deadpool 2)

This is the new PG13 version that Ryan Reynolds agreed to if portions when to charity AND he could rope in Fred Savage and do it as a "Deadpool reading the story of Deadpool 2 to Fred Savage like in Princess Bride". Savage agreed and it's done quite impressively well. If you liked Deadpool, it's worth watching this version as they amount of scenes added/reshot/redubbed is quite impressive. They really had to change a lot up to get the PG13 rating so there's a ton of new jokes and things to laugh at.

Status
Not open for further replies.