NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 707 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I refuse to pay for a service that still shows commercials, and my understanding is they've gotten out of control with the commercials.

Fell for the 99 cent special and so far have watched 2 movies and a few comedy specials. No commercials at all during the movies and only 1 special had a commercial before it started. Hear the TV shows have a lot though.

Cant go wrong for 99 cents but doubt Ill keep it. Netflix is and works so much better IMHO.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finished Narcos s4 (or Mexico: s1; however you want to call it), and it was fricking brilliant. 9 or 10/10. Better than season 3.

Diego Luna is fantastic and so is Michael Pena (always liked that guy). The character-writing and acting is top notch again. Another bonus is that this real life storyline takes place around the same time of the real life story from season 1-2...and I vaguely recall Diego's character showing up in those seasons briefly, for the plotline that is relevant. My point here is that there is some awesome overlap
I finished this last night and agree 100%. This show was incredible and it's pretty amazing that they can keep it up after basically forced to do a 'reboot' after what happened while doing recon for the real season 4 in Colombia. Damn I wish this wasn't already over. Such an awesome show. I also didn't know the real story so everything that happened was new to me.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I finished this last night and agree 100%. This show was incredible and it's pretty amazing that they can keep it up after basically forced to do a 'reboot' after what happened while doing recon for the real season 4 in Colombia. Damn I wish this wasn't already over. Such an awesome show. I also didn't know the real story so everything that happened was new to me.

I'm on Ep. 8 now and I just want to binge out and wrap it up. Show is awesome. I was talking to a few co-workers and they recommended Cocaine Cowboy. Haven't looked into it yet, but I guess it's a doc of stuff going down in Miami. Hoping to finish it tonight.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm on Ep. 8 now and I just want to binge out and wrap it up. Show is awesome. I was talking to a few co-workers and they recommended Cocaine Cowboy. Haven't looked into it yet, but I guess it's a doc of stuff going down in Miami. Hoping to finish it tonight.
I may check that out too. I am super fascinated with druglord stories.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I dunno if I'll watch season 3 of Dare Devil. I liked season 1 a lot but did not really like season 2 that much at all. Elektra or whatever her name was just really dumb and a bad character. The actress was terrible too. I don't remember the details but just remember as the season went on I was starting to not really like it, and by the end I just thought it was dumb.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dunno if I'll watch season 3 of Dare Devil. I liked season 1 a lot but did not really like season 2 that much at all. Elektra or whatever her name was just really dumb and a bad character. The actress was terrible too. I don't remember the details but just remember as the season went on I was starting to not really like it, and by the end I just thought it was dumb.

You need to check some fooking reviews.
Like right the fook now.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I finally sat down and watched The Fighter. Kept putting it off cuz it looked annoying.
I was right.
Its very annoying.

VLC needs some sort of auto-translate to turn Bostonian into Normal People.

But its an excellent film.
8 / 10

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Cancel Iron Fist - TG
Cancel Luke Cage - Sad
Cancel Daredevil - WTF?
Keep Jessica Jones - Meh
Keep Punisher - Only good move so far if it lasts.

Tomb Raider - HBO - 6/10
Only good if you like to watch Alicia V and Walt.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Ok so im bending the rules a bit. I had a flashback to a film i loved back in the days, but my mind had erased.
Thing is, i couldnt put my finger on why i cant stand Vincent Cassel.
No, it's not because he's bad - but because he used to be good.

Many many many 1995 years ago, there was a film called La Haine https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/

Entirely shot in B&W, and only available in french, it's the story of three kids from the outskirts of Paris, caught in a world of urban poverty. Think your typical US ghetto gang film, except that the characters arent inhuman killers but actually teenagers trying to cope with a harsh reality.
Head and shoulders above anything similar produced stateside, if you can cope with the subtitles.
1995 Best Director at Cannes.

8/10

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Ok so im bending the rules a bit. I had a flashback to a film i loved back in the days, but my mind had erased.
Thing is, i couldnt put my finger on why i cant stand Vincent Cassel.
No, it's not because he's bad - but because he used to be good.

Many many many 1995 years ago, there was a film called La Haine https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0113247/

Entirely shot in B&W, and only available in french, it's the story of three kids from the outskirts of Paris, caught in a world of urban poverty. Think your typical US ghetto gang film, except that the characters arent inhuman killers but actually teenagers trying to cope with a harsh reality.
Head and shoulders above anything similar produced stateside, if you can cope with the subtitles.
1995 Best Director at Cannes.

8/10
Sounds interesting, I'll try and remember to check it out.

I'm watching Narcos Mexico and it's good as usual.

Started the new season of House of Cards but am only an episode or two into it. I still think it's great.

And... began First Man but need to finish it. Ryan Gosling is on my man crush list (semi homo).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Dragon Gate Inn (1967) 3/10. Haven't watched this in decades. Holy fucking bad.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Man, lots of hate for Bohemian Rhapsody.

The entire movie is worth it just for the Live Aid performance (and build up to it). Sincere performances by all the main actors, and you can tell they put a lot of work into the movie. Plus the guy playing Brian May is a dead ringer.

8/10

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Man, lots of hate for Bohemian Rhapsody.

The entire movie is worth it just for the Live Aid performance (and build up to it). Sincere performances by all the main actors, and you can tell they put a lot of work into the movie. Plus the guy playing Brian May is a dead ringer.

8/10

Is it actually Brian May?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Keep Jessica Jones - Meh
Keep Punisher - Only good move so far if it lasts.

Punisher and Jessica Jones is canceled as well, they just have another season already made that will air next year. Netflix is not going to handle any Marvel properties anymore because Disney is starting their own streaming service and is fragmenting the market.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Punisher and Jessica Jones is canceled as well, they just have another season already made that will air next year. Netflix is not going to handle any Marvel properties anymore because Disney is starting their own streaming service and is fragmenting the market.

Punisher has been green lit, but I don't think any kind of production has started yet--I'm not even sure if they have a full episode allotment planned out yet? I'm thinking that anything can happen with that one.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Punisher has been green lit, but I don't think any kind of production has started yet--I'm not even sure if they have a full episode allotment planned out yet? I'm thinking that anything can happen with that one.

Filming for the season second of The Punisher begun on March 10, 2018, in The Bellmores, New York. Filming occurred in Albany, New York in mid-July 2018 with production on the season wrapping in August 2018. By now they are probably already done with post production and just awaiting a release date.

EDIT: I did a quick search for Jessica Jones since I didn't know if it had already wrapped filming or not and the best information I could find was that as of the end of October they were in full filming production, so it might be wrapped and in post by now as well.

Either way both of those shows are far enough along that Netflix would take a bath on them if they canceled them now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.