NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 706 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Bohemian Rapsody - 6/10

Going into a movie like this, you know they're not going to stick to reality. Things get spiced up for film, so I'm not judging based on accuracy, just on if it was good or not (I didn't know details about Queen beforehand anyway).

Regardless, it was about what I expected but still felt rushed in parts. They didn't explain or handle Queen's rise to fame very well. Almost immediately they establish a story about how Freddy joined in with Smile which eventually became Queen. You're never really shown them gaining more popularity, you're just TOLD they're selling out clubs. There was almost no transition between up and coming bar band and then all of a sudden they're recording Bohemian Rhapsody. There isn't a lot of solid sense of time progression, and it was hard to know how far they were in their history pretty often.

Apart from that, it was still fairly entertaining for what it was. The cast seemed fairly good, and the concert scenes were on point.

Best part was Mike Meyers playing a record executive trash talking Bohemian Rhapsody

Nov 29, 2006
Ballad of Buster Scruggs Netflix 7/10

Not everyones cup of tea.

Finished it last night. Made me very homesick for the West and Montana in particular. The bit with the Miner was beautifully shot. "That poor gal" really was quite sad. At least Liam Neeson didnt use a gun since he hates them so much.

Wouldnt want to sit through it again but I found it interesting in part. Buster Scruggs was the worse and the last segment didnt belong at all. Waste of great characters. Guess the Bank Robber wins.

The little teaser that plays for this is nothing like that actual movie. In that regard i was disappointed that they were about 6 separate stories. But it was beautifully shot, but id give it a 5/10 maybe. I wasnt really sure what the purpose of its existence really was lol

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The little teaser that plays for this is nothing like that actual movie. In that regard i was disappointed that they were about 6 separate stories. But it was beautifully shot, but id give it a 5/10 maybe. I wasnt really sure what the purpose of its existence really was lol

Why does anything exist?

Can doves really cry?

Is American cheese really cheese?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Ballad of Buster Scruggs Netflix 7/10

Not everyones cup of tea.

Finished it last night. Made me very homesick for the West and Montana in particular. The bit with the Miner was beautifully shot. "That poor gal" really was quite sad. At least Liam Neeson didnt use a gun since he hates them so much.

Wouldnt want to sit through it again but I found it interesting in part. Buster Scruggs was the worse and the last segment didnt belong at all. Waste of great characters. Guess the Bank Robber wins.
I was hoping it was going to end on a high note and it didn't. I did enjoy most others though but the first segment and last really felt out of place compared to the rest.

Aug 11, 2008
The Meg - 4/10 - this movie was just bad. It was pretty clear this movie was made for foreign audiences in Asia and they decided to bring it state side probably because it had a shark in it. The trailer is completely misleading and the stuff you see in the trailer is like about 7 minutes in the full movie. I just finished my open water SCUBA certification last weekend (classroom and pool work) and seeing how wrong they did shit in this movie as far as that goes was pretty laughable too.
I saw it too. I thought it was entertaining in a cheesy way. Not something I would want to see again, but I would rate it a bit higher, maybe 5 or 6.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Rampage - 1/10

Was looking for a lazy Sunday afternoon movie to watch while I say on my ass. Figured a Dwayne Johnson popcorn flick couldn't be that bad. Wrong. Holy hell was this horrible. I turned it off after 10-15mins. Everything from premise, to action, to CGI, to acting, to the sets etc. Just horrible.

serious? i never turn a movie off, worst case i start skipping ahead skipping ahead, with rampage the first 15 mins seemed fine to me other 2 people in the room said it was OK-/good. /shrug did you buy this movie?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Reactions: shortylickens

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Outlaw King - 8/10 - It started out kinda meh but I dunno I liked where it went and how it ended. I really enjoyed the last battle. This movie clearly doesn't have the budget like Braveheart or compares to it really but it's still a decent flick.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
7/10 - Origin - Youtube Red Series - Some people headed to a new planet to colonize wake up to find that something had happened on the ship while they were asleep. Straight up, this is pretty much a The Thing / Alien / Dead Space / Passengers mix. It pulls you in with all the paranoia and mystery, but some of the plots/human interactions get a bit tedious because they change their stance so easily from episode to episode. It ends on a note that lends itself easily to another season.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Finished Narcos s4 (or Mexico: s1; however you want to call it), and it was fricking brilliant. 9 or 10/10. Better than season 3.

Diego Luna is fantastic and so is Michael Pena (always liked that guy). The character-writing and acting is top notch again. Another bonus is that this real life storyline takes place around the same time of the real life story from season 1-2...and I vaguely recall Diego's character showing up in those seasons briefly, for the plotline that is relevant. My point here is that there is some awesome overlap

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Ballad of Buster Scruggs 8.5/10

I went into this expecting for it to not be my thing/turn it off after 15 minutes. But dang, the stories told are pretty darn good and a couple of their endings is shall we say somewhat sad.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I really want to watch Buster Scruggs.

I had the opportunity to watch Lawless https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1212450/
The 2012 film with Tom Hardy (and the intolerable Shia LaBeuf) playing a bootlegger in' prohibition era Virginia.
Them's a trio of brothers, sone dumb some smart, and there's a new lawman in town who's bad. They do bad stuff to each other and it escalates to open war just-short-of-killing-the-actual-guy because there would be no film then. The good guys win.
There's two nice ladies in the film i wouldnt mind seeing naked.

Rather boring period film with overly-heroic protagonists and little substance apart from a little romance, so basically a romantic film disguised as a mobsters film.

Would not recommend; 6/10

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Widows (Steve McQueen, 2018) 7/10

Saw at multiplex the other day, row 2 in reclining seats. I was past my bedtime and it did keep me awake. It has it's flaws for sure. It's worth a watch or two. Females pull heist their slain husbands couldn't.

Rotten Tomatoes:

Average Rating: 8.1/10
Reviews Counted: 271
Fresh: 246
Rotten: 25

Last edited:

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Bodyguard (Netflix) 8/10 - Great 6 episode series from the BBC. Will make you forget all about that Kevin Costner crap. I'd probably give it at least a 9/10, but some of the British accents are so thick that I had a hard time following some of the dialog. That, and my lack of understanding about British political structure made it sort of difficult to understand some of the plot points. That said - it didn't really matter... this is an awesome show. While watching the 1st episode, I (incorrectly) got the impression that this was like the British version of "24"... I could not have been more wrong. This show is less about action, and way more about suspense, of which there is a lot. It has plenty of brains - the plot has tons of convolutions. Very good show.

Last edited:

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Bohemian Rhapsody - 5/10. There was probably a great movie to be made out of this material... unfortunately this wasn't it. I'm a big Queen fan, which made the movie enjoyable enough, but it isn't rewatch-worthy.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Bodyguard (Netflix) 8/10 - Great 6 episode series from the BBC. Will make you forget all about that Kevin Costner crap. I'd probably give it at least a 9/10, but some of the British accents are so thick that I had a hard time following some of the dialog. That, and my lack of understanding about British political structure made it sort of difficult to understand some of the plot points. That said - it didn't really matter... this is an awesome show. While watching the 1st episode, I (incorrectly) got the impression that this was like the British version of "24"... I could not have been more wrong. This show is less about action, and way more about suspense, of which there is a lot. It has plenty of brains - the plot has tons of convolutions. Very good show.

This is a pretty good show....but damn it gets super dark a few episodes in. One of those jarring moments where I thought I wouldn't be able to finish the final 3 episodes.

It always takes me an episode or so to understand some of those British-like people, though; and especially with Rob Stark's natural Scottish brogue, it was more of a struggle than usual.

Sep 29, 2004
Behemian Rhaspody was a failed attempt at a docu drama. They would have been WAY BETTER OFF trying to eat about 1/3 or 1/2 of the story with some quality. The movie felt like i was being shoved through random facts than anything representing a drama.

Honestly, people are probably better served by finding a good documentray on Queen than watch this trash.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Behemian Rhaspody was a failed attempt at a docu drama. They would have been WAY BETTER OFF trying to eat about 1/3 or 1/2 of the story with some quality. The movie felt like i was being shoved through random facts than anything representing a drama.

Honestly, people are probably better served by finding a good documentray on Queen than watch this trash.

Its pretty much impossible to sum up a mans life in just two hours. Thats why Hoffa sucked.

A mini series would be so much better, but nobody wants to go thru all that effort. Plus, they dont make as much money as big box-office hits.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
You Were Never Really Here on Amazon, 7.5/10. Staring Joaquin Phoenix, which I havent seen in a long time. To be honest, its kinda a weird movie. With a pretty good plot, one that is worthy of getting out there. I really liked the job that Joaquin did getting into this character. Man of few words in this movie, but I just really liked how he did it. Movie is slow, trailer shows a lot of it. Ending wasn't that great... but I like weird Indie type movies like this.

Saw a bunch more recently but dont really have the time to get into a lot of it. For movie/tv goers, Hulu is $1 a month for a year ending today. Up to $8 after the first year per month.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I refuse to pay for a service that still shows commercials, and my understanding is they've gotten out of control with the commercials.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The Thing 1980s and 2011.

The Thing 80s: ********** 10 stars. A classic.

The Thing 2011: ******* 7 stars. CGI was a little off. Acting a bit dull. Still a decent film.

Status
Not open for further replies.