NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 705 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Homecoming 8.25/10 on Amazon. First time I have seen Julia Roberts in what feels like a decade now or more? Her and a few other semi big names are in it. Hard to really comment on what it is about, because the trailer doenst tell you and I dont want to give anything away. The core story is very interesting, and I would be surprised if it didnt, or isnt already underway in some form or fashion to be honest. Makes you think some, and overall just a pretty good show. Ending REALLY pissed me off though. There is a small thing that happens at the end that give me a hair of hope however. Only 10 episodes, 30ish mins each. The last 3-4 mins are usually just credits though. Goes by fast, and is an easy watch. I would recommend it, the message may surprise some though.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Knights of Badassdom (2013)

If you like films like Orgazmo (ie. "it's so crap it's good"), then I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this. A bunch of LARPers accidentally summon a demonic beast and have to send it back to Hell.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

If you like films like Orgazmo (ie. "it's so crap it's good"), then I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this. A bunch of LARPers accidentally summon a demonic beast and have to send it back to Hell.

That movie was in production hell for so long. Tied up legal issues. I was amazed when it finally came out.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
It Follows - 7.5/10. Different horror movie than most of the stuff out there with little/no cheap scares. There's a sense of dread throughout the movie.

The Salton Sea - 7/10. Good crime/drama with Val Kilmer. Vincent D'Onofrio is awesome in it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
T2: Awesome but even I have a hard time watching it these days. Same for T1. Not that they are not spectacular movies. It's just that I can only see the same movie so many times before being bored of it. When you know every line to a movie I guess it's time to move on.

Alien is a tough pill to swallow. Honestly, if you are not enveloped by the movie (big screen, good home theater, pitch black room) it's hard to get into. If this is being watched on a 32" TV with the TV for sound it will suck. But the movie is so damned good! Same for Alien 2. Alien 3 is good but there is a specific cut you need to see. The theatrical release of Alien 3 is widely accepted as bad. There is a cut that people love though. It's on the quadrilogy (I have it)
Which cut is that? Do you remember?

I did watch Alien and Aliens last week in my really good home theater, pitch black, very decent sound. Maybe wrong frame of mind, I'll give them a rest. I do think that A1 is a good film to not watch for a long time before you watch it again. If you know what's going to happen, it's not going to work like it will if you don't remember it. Myself, if it's been many years I often won't remember crucial details and plot features.

Last edited:

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Outlaw King Netflix 7.5 +.5/10

well, its no Braveheart but then again what is? It was panned for being too long and the director cut almost 30 minutes out of it. I thought it could have used 30 minutes more. I enjoyed it. Cinematography of the countryside, costumes and cast make it worth seeing themselves.

Reactions: DigDog

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Outlaw King Netflix 7.5 +.5/10

well, its no Braveheart but then again what is? It was panned for being too long and the director cut almost 30 minutes out of it. I thought it could have used 30 minutes more. I enjoyed it. Cinematography of the countryside, costumes and cast make it worth seeing themselves.

Yeah I thought it was pretty good: competent production, solid story yada yada...just no real characters. It was a story-driven flick and not character-driven, completely unlike Braveheart. You will basically forget all of these characters the next day, except for that one crazy-brained lieutenant dude that was, essentially, a cliche'd trope starting with Braveheart (the Irish fellow), then rubberstampted into the Patriot with that other dude that was Mel's friend (the one that ate his gun after the brits murdered his family).

In this movie, Robert the Bruce is basically: "I want to keep rebelling, but dad says no. Oh, dad's dead now. Rebel some more!"

I agree, it could have been longer. It felt very short, with some odd edits at times like "whoa, did we just jump something, somewhere."?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
We've lost Wilder, Boyle, Khan and Feldman :(

And we have nothing even close to replacing them. Hollywood shines a little less bright for their passing. Not everything they did worked, but when it did it was absolutely brilliant.

It is a movie that intentionally turns the cheese up to 11. Most movies can't pull off intentionally cheesy, this one did it with gusto.
If Knights of Badassdom is your thing check out Lloyd the Conqueror, it is an even lower budget, cheesier movie of similar concept. It has the bonus of starting Brian Posehn.

Sep 29, 2004
I started watching the Joe Rogan interviews that are free on YouTube. They are highly entertaining. Interviews with everything from Comedians (Bill Hicks) to some guy that is a free climber to science conversations. Even people that are convicted of major crimes are on there. Definitely interesting to listen to at work if you are sick of music.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I started watching the Joe Rogan interviews that are free on YouTube. They are highly entertaining. Interviews with everything from Comedians (Bill Hicks) to some guy that is a free climber to science conversations. Even people that are convicted of major crimes are on there. Definitely interesting to listen to at work if you are sick of music.
Are you talking about the Joe Rogan Podcast shows, or is this something else? His podcasts are really excellent; lots of good guests and topics/conversations.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Are you talking about the Joe Rogan Podcast shows, or is this something else? His podcasts are really excellent; lots of good guests and topics/conversations.
Thats the one.
He occasionally goes offtopic for a while, but it's still pretty good.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
They Shall Not Grow Old - 8/10

This is the Peter Jackson/BBC documentary on WWI made of restored WWI footage for the centennial. It was pretty decent. Honestly not as good as I thought it would be. It was very cool that the entire thing is narrated by actual WWI Veterans (recorded decades ago) telling their story with video to match. It almost seemed more of a fluff piece more than anything. Comparing it to brutal documentaries like Apocalypse WWI, you simply do not get the scope or the depths or the hellishness of the war.

That being said, worth a watch. Special note though - the restored footage doesn't start until 20 minutes in or so.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Ozark a solid 9. i enjoyed season 2.prefered it to season 1,good actor that fella.Ozark 3?

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Pacific Rim:Uprising HBO 6/10

First one was entertaining, this one not so much. Lets hope they dont make a sequel to Real Steel and do this to that one. At least we dont have to put up with Charlie Hunnam in this one.

The new Sabrina Netflix 8/10

Aimed at teenagers? I dont think they could appreciate this one. Spooky and funny and strangely addictive. Miss Wardwell steals the show.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Summer of 84 - 7/10. Excellent movie but I didn't really feel anything for the characters - they failed to strike a similar "kinship" that the group had in IT, but it had some really funny moments and great pacing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The Meg - 4/10 - this movie was just bad. It was pretty clear this movie was made for foreign audiences in Asia and they decided to bring it state side probably because it had a shark in it. The trailer is completely misleading and the stuff you see in the trailer is like about 7 minutes in the full movie. I just finished my open water SCUBA certification last weekend (classroom and pool work) and seeing how wrong they did shit in this movie as far as that goes was pretty laughable too.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Ballad of Buster Scruggs Netflix 7/10

Not everyones cup of tea.

Finished it last night. Made me very homesick for the West and Montana in particular. The bit with the Miner was beautifully shot. "That poor gal" really was quite sad. At least Liam Neeson didnt use a gun since he hates them so much.

Wouldnt want to sit through it again but I found it interesting in part. Buster Scruggs was the worse and the last segment didnt belong at all. Waste of great characters. Guess the Bank Robber wins.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Rampage - 1/10

Was looking for a lazy Sunday afternoon movie to watch while I say on my ass. Figured a Dwayne Johnson popcorn flick couldn't be that bad. Wrong. Holy hell was this horrible. I turned it off after 10-15mins. Everything from premise, to action, to CGI, to acting, to the sets etc. Just horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.