NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 692 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I started Bloodlines on NF recently. Watched the first episode and it was slow. Part II was also slow, but it started to pick up a bit in a wtf kind of way. Just finished ep 3 and it's slow, but still interesting. Acting is great, just waiting for more content.

So far, 6/10, hopefully it picks up.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Rewatching the Sopranos. Despite the extensive product placement. It is still a fantastic crime series/drama and RIP James Gandolfini.

The idea of a hardcore and senior mafioso needing therapy and medication is.....different.

Certainly makes for good binge watching. :)

It has been years since I watched, what were the product placements?

Aug 11, 2008
ditto 7/10
Harvey catell/superman made a horrible top cia agent.

and all those things that the bad guys anticipated that tom cruise would do reminded me of James Bond's Skyfall. suspension of disbelief is one thing. this was another... :(

thought the white widow was Lady Gaga.
Vanessa-Kirby-blog.jpg

she makes a spitting image of her!
wonder why she wasn't picked for the Lady Gaga biopic?
It was Henry Cavill that played the agent, but yea, he was just as terrible in this movie, maybe even worse, than he was as Superman.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom - 3/10 - definitely one of the worst movies I've watched in full from start to finish. If I wasn't watching it with my wife I would have turned it off after like 40 minutes. Just completely forgettable and incredibly stupid with so much stupid shit that is wrong with it. It was basically like they tried to find everything that was stupid about Lost World and make it 10x stupider, and that is the plot. JP is one of my favorite movies of all time and even to today it holds up just as good as it did the day it was released, but they need to just let this franchise die. The stupid millennial nerds in this movie were just completely /facepalm worthy too. Soooooo fucking bad.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
The Shape of Water HBO ?/10

I honestly dont know how to rate this one. Best picture oscar winner, great sets, costumes, cast and Director. Is it SciFi or a fairy tale? Very improbable and impossible occurrences and some magic.

I guess this one is one you can enjoy even if you dont like it. She liked it and she hates SciFi and fantasy. Id like to hear other peoples feelings about this one.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Is it SciFi or a fairy tale?
I think it is both. It is a sci-fi fairy tale.

I also believe that the plot of the movie is not that great, but that it is a feast for the eyes. It is an astoundingly beautiful movie, with a more than competent music and sound score. I almost feel that the movie would have been just as good if there had never been any dialog at all.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I finally sat down and watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory.
It was irritating at one minute and excruciating at 2 minutes.
I changed the channel after two and a half minutes.
Can not understand why that fucking series is up to 12 seasons. Americans are morons.

0 / 100

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I just watched it, a lot of fun & your review nailed it...oh my gosh, the visuals, soooooo much fun! But the story...what I don't understand is why you would target 20 to 40 years with the content (Atari, Thundercats, BTTF, Iron Giant, etc.) & then target the movie to a 13-year-old audience. I mean, I know the demographics of movies are mostly that young teen males watch movies, and that's what sells tickets, but the whoooooooole point of the movie was the nostalgia factor, you know? It would have gone from an 80% to a 100% if they had put the same effort into the story as they did the CGI.

imo it really should have been a 2-part movie, if not a trilogy, and it should have had more meat than just being a cutesy story. They glossed over a lot of stuff, partially because it was targeted to the young teen crowd & partly just due to time. I didn't care for the PG-13 rating, because the stuff they threw in (particularly the swearing) was so noticeable that it was clear they simply put it in for the rating, not as part of the story.

Love the concept, loved the visual execution. Really fun, especially if you've played with VR before, because you can see it getting that good once they get retina-level VR screens & cheaper omni-treadmills & stuff. I'm curious if older people & non-technical people understood the concept as well as was intended...I'm a nerd who also happens to have a VR system at home, and loved the back & forth they did, but I wonder if non-techie people or people who didn't grow up in the video game generation really got the concept or not, like if they ended up getting as lost in it as say Inception.

I think my only complaint about the visuals was that they went a bit too fast through the crowd scenes...you'd barely catch a glimpse of recognizable characters, in fact we rewound it a couple times when we thought we saw a character, because the camera was zooming around so much...Spawn, Halo, Battletoads, etc, I would have LOVED to have seen those in more detail the the split-second they were on-screen! Especially since each of those CGI assets must have taken a monster amount of time to create & animation, and they were hardly even seen on-screen.

Anyway, visually awesome, pushes a lot of geek buttons, fun story but fairly generic & simple - but still really enjoyable overall! I knew going in it wasn't going to quite hold up to the book, so if you understand that the deeper storyline concepts are kind of toned down for the target age group, it will be a lot more fun.

Read the book. It's 1,000,000 times better than the movie. I read the book and was then so excited to see the movie and what a let down. It was drastic. That happens a lot with book adaptations but this was one of the worst offenders.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Beyond- 7.5/10 , Filmed as a found footage/documentary, I thought it was intelligent, interesting and I appreciated the conclusion (prior to the last 5 minutes, that wasn't as good).

I loved this movie up until about 20-30 mins left then it went so far off the rails it cant even see the track anymore from where it ended up.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I finally sat down and watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory.
It was irritating at one minute and excruciating at 2 minutes.
I changed the channel after two and a half minutes.
Can not understand why that fucking series is up to 12 seasons. Americans are morons.

0 / 100
LMAO. Every time I hear "Bing Bang Theory" I think of my sister-in-law who loves it. But she's... well... a moron and has the IQ of a brick (sorry, she just does), so from what I gather it makes sense she loves it. I have zero interest in watching that crap so while it's possible I'd like it if I watched it, I think not.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The First (Hulu series) -- 9/10

Really liked this (about the first manned mission to Mars in the near future). When I first heard about it I web searched it and saw a couple reviews mention it was boring. Well, if you need a bunch of action and pew-pew stuff then yeah you'll probably think it's boring. But I thought it was very well written and acted and the music score was great. Really looking forward to the next season (which I assume/hope is forthcoming).

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Now that I'm a little more familiar with The Big Bang Theory I think you have to differentiate between the first few seasons and the rest.

I agree that the later seasons are all but unwatchable. It should have ended after 4 seasons, but the fact that it was making so much money made that a theoretical impossibility.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Really liked this (about the first manned mission to Mars in the near future). When I first heard about it I web searched it and saw a couple reviews mention it was boring. Well, if you need a bunch of action and pew-pew stuff then yeah you'll probably think it's boring. But I thought it was very well written and acted and the music score was great. Really looking forward to the next season (which I assume/hope is forthcoming).

Thanks! i had never herd of this and am very interested in watching it.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Whip it - 7.5

Was a fun movie with a feel good ending. Has a lot of attractive women as well, Drew Barrymore. Ellen Page, Drew Barrymore, Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis, ect ect..

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Now that I'm a little more familiar with The Big Bang Theory I think you have to differentiate between the first few seasons and the rest.

I agree that the later seasons are all but unwatchable. It should have ended after 4 seasons, but the fact that it was making so much money made that a theoretical impossibility.

Yeah, the first few seasons were awesome. The show really sucks now but I still watch it.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I wanted to like it, but it is just a relationship drama, not a show about going to Mars. Maybe if there's a season 2 it will be better due to the ending. The best part, was also the most obvious (first episode) and the only reason I continued to watch it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Thanks for letting me know you guys like Big Bang Theory. Now I know to never take any of your reviews with anything more than a grain of salt.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Heat is one of my favorite movies, so I went back and watched Michael Mann's Thief (1981) with James Caan and really like it. Similar movies with similar themes, but Caan does a better job of making me sympathize with his character than De Nero did. Both are great movies, at least a 7/10 for Thief.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I wanted to like it, but it is just a relationship drama, not a show about going to Mars. Maybe if there's a season 2 it will be better due to the ending. The best part, was also the most obvious (first episode) and the only reason I continued to watch it.
Yeah it's definitely a (relationship) drama, but I feel like the characters were very well written and you get to understand more of Penn's backstory and motivations and... character. I'm assuming they did that with the intention of having covered the characters in the first season, maybe the second will be about their trip and landing on Mars.

Agreed the first episode was pretty predictable. The creator behind House of Cards is also the creator of The First. Makes sense cause I think the guy (Beau Willimon) can create some great characters and stories.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yeah it's definitely a (relationship) drama, but I feel like the characters were very well written and you get to understand more of Penn's backstory and motivations and... character. I'm assuming they did that with the intention of having covered the characters in the first season, maybe the second will be about their trip and landing on Mars.

Agreed the first episode was pretty predictable. The creator behind House of Cards is also the creator of The First. Makes sense cause I think the guy (Beau Willimon) can create some great characters and stories.

I will agree it is well done, just not what I think most people expected it to be.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
King Lear (theatre performance)

Live broadcast theatre performance starring Ian McKellen. Also had Sinéad Cusack (the actress who played the scientist in 'V for Vendetta') and Danny Webb (played Morse in Alien3). Pretty impressive. We wanted to see Ian McKellen perform before he's likely to hang up his hat (or worse), we weren't disappointed.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I don't think these are repeats:
-Avengers Infinity Wars - 7.5/10 It's good but it feels like they crammed 15 short storied into a single story

-Justice League - 6/10 It wasn't terrible but the quality is nowhere near the Marvel movies. In Marvel the CG is so well blended into the real world that it feels normal but in Justice League it felt out of place.

-Ready Player One- 6/10 I enjoyed all the nostalgia Easter eggs but the story was weak with a lot of plotholes... For most of the movie I thought IOI was the enforcement because they had no problem doing what they want, killing people, etc. but yet at the end the police appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.