NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 691 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, those jokes in the original Predator would not be allowed in theaters today.

And, like it or not, today's social climate isn't compatible with the original.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Watching now The Bodyguard
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyguard_(2018_TV_series)

Dayum!

British tv is mostly shit, but when it's good it's really good, and this is really good.

Richard Madden (who?) plays police sargent David Budd; a good guy traumatized by the war, staying focused on his job is the only thing that keeps him sane. When he gets home at night, he breaks down. His marriage has disintegrated.

Budd is assigned to protect Julia Montague, Home Secretary (Keely Hawes).... and everything else is spoilers.

Im on episode 2. Right now, i would say 8/10, on the strength of Madden's acting and his character. Dialogue and production are also excellent.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Rewatching the Sopranos. Despite the extensive product placement. It is still a fantastic crime series/drama and RIP James Gandolfini.

The idea of a hardcore and senior mafioso needing therapy and medication is.....different.

Certainly makes for good binge watching. :)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
One of the points of the movie ...
*shakes his head*
The only point in the movie. I mean that's it, you have described the entire moral of the film (because the film chooses to ignore the realistic aspect of .. well, EVERYTHING the film talks about) as "i am the master of my own destiny".

It's not bad but it's not much. And it's very un-SciFi.

Plus the film shoots for this hardcore 50s style that doesnt work at all with the theme, it would have if the character and story were grandiose, but it's just that: my brother beat me up but i'll show him.

Would not buy.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Ive started to watch Deadliest Catch 8/10.I Have Worked on Trawlers,But never in seas like this.They are definitely earning their money thats for sure.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Black Sea, HBO, 6.5/10

I was entertained by this but also annoyed as it could have been so much better. If you like movies with submarines and humans inability to co exist sprinkled with greed then this might be for you. Suspend belief for some of the technical details, excuse some of the acting and just go along for the ride, ehr, voyage.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Absentmindedly watched a couple of movies.

Independence Day - 7.5/10. Great action flick with excellent pacing. One of those awesome 90s action movies anyone can watch and be entertained.

2001: A Space Odyssey - 8.5/10. Yeah, slow as hell but it's a masterpiece. You really have to be in the mood (and not tired) to watch it, though.

The 'Burbs - 9/10. I first watched this when I was a kid and it's even funnier as an adult. Perfect comedy.

Meet the Fockers - 6.5/10. Maybe a 6/10. It tried a bit too hard to be funny, and the first was far better.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
What does Space Odissey have to do to win those 1.5/10 extra points? Maybe punch some aliens?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Bodyguard ep. 3, already going sideways. Protagonist is weak willed, story is slowing down. We'll see.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
The Beyond- 7.5/10 , Filmed as a found footage/documentary, I thought it was intelligent, interesting and I appreciated the conclusion (prior to the last 5 minutes, that wasn't as good).

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I watched the pilot of Babylon 5 the other day.

Lol - it's like playing a 90's PC game for the first time. The eyes take a lot of adjusting not to vomit. Nevertheless, I was able to adapt and make it through. It seems like there is some potential there. I'll give it a hesitant 7/10.

Has anyone here watched the whole thing? How does it hold up?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I watched the pilot of Babylon 5 the other day.

Lol - it's like playing a 90's PC game for the first time. The eyes take a lot of adjusting not to vomit. Nevertheless, I was able to adapt and make it through. It seems like there is some potential there. I'll give it a hesitant 7/10.

Has anyone here watched the whole thing? How does it hold up?

It was pretty good. Unlike star trek, it is one continous story.

The pilot was cringe worthy.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Well, I mean... come on.

The pilot certainly wasn't perfect. If I make it though the whole series I may look back fondly.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I really only care about an intriguing story. The visuals I can deal with.

The plot was great. It is a top notch sci-fi story. Honestly I consider it the best sci-fi story ever told on TV. The acting is cringe worthy until the second season (but then the actors start to fall into their roles and it improves). The graphics are always pretty cheesy. There is some problems in season 4 because the show was canceled and they had to wrap up the story a year early (it was always planned as a 5 year story arc), and cut out a lot of the secondary plots to do so, and then it got picked back up by another channel so in season 5 they had to rework some of the story to tell the parts that were cut in season 4. Overall, I think they did a good job of it considering, but it is maybe not as good as it could have been because of that.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Mission Impossible--Fallout. Good suspense and action as expected, but predictable of course. Some amazing stunts done by Tom Cruz, although overall I am not a fan of his. I'd rate it 7/10.
ditto 7/10
Harvey catell/superman made a horrible top cia agent.

and all those things that the bad guys anticipated that tom cruise would do reminded me of James Bond's Skyfall.
suspension of disbelief is one thing. this was another... :(

did tom cruise do most of his stunts himself??

thought the white widow was Lady Gaga. she wasn't. :eek:
Vanessa-Kirby-blog.jpg

she makes a spitting image of her!
wonder why she wasn't picked for the Lady Gaga biopic?

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Mission Impossible--Fallout. Good suspense and action as expected, but predictable of course. Some amazing stunts done by Tom Cruz, although overall I am not a fan of his. I'd rate it 7/10.
ditto 7/10

and all those things that the bad guys anticipated that tom cruise would do reminded me of James Bond's Skyfall. suspension of disbelief is one thing. this was another... :(

thought the white widow was Lady Gaga.
Vanessa-Kirby-blog.jpg

she makes a spitting image of her!
wonder why she wasn't picked for the Lady Gaga biopic?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
ditto 7/10

and all those things that the bad guys anticipated that tom cruise would do reminded me of James Bond's Skyfall. suspension of disbelief is one thing. this was another... :(
I liked Cavill in Fallout, I thought he played off Cruise well enough. He looked like he was pretty jacked too. LOL. I enjoyed Fallout quite a bit, more than the last couple Mission Impossibles I think. I'd give it 8/10.

I'm watching through The First right now, the Hulu series about the first manned mission to Mahs (get your ass to it). I saw some reviews say it was boring but I'm really engrossed in it and can't wait to watch each episode. I think the writing and acting is top-notch, even though it's been all drama and no action yet (I'm in the fifth episode). I'll give a final score when I'm done but I'm guessing it'll be 9/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.