NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 690 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I’ve only heard bad things about the new predator, but a friend of mine (who loves horror) said The Nun was good and pretty scary. Not quite up to par with the sort of ‘horror revival’ we’ve been going through (especially hereditary) but a pretty solid movie.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Doesnt even have Conan The Barbarian.
You can live your life without having seen Amarcord, but can you live your life without having known the riddle of steel??

Again the pompous critic will have Citizen Kane at n1 (and Star Wars at n280) because they .. despite adjusting the list .. ignore that life changes. Films age, some well (ex Seven Samurai), some not (The Third Man, The Birds, Some Like It Hot..). Films like Matrix or Pulp Fiction have literally revolutionised the film world, to the point where the vast majority of new films owe them something, but nooo, we still need Citizen fucking Kane at n1.

Critics suck balls. They suck balls because they have learned the art of critiquing films rather than the art of understanding film and that of enjoying film; this is why little masterpieces like Predator never make the list, because without knowing how film is made, or consuming it for entertainment, critics dont know how to "get" film, they only know how to write a column.

"I've never seen I Vitelloni"
"uh, oh, it's a .. well, a milestone of italian Neorealism, the hopeless struggle of the working class, yadda yadda existentialism.."
"I have also never seen Total Recall"
"WHATDAFAK ! YOU HAVE ... NOT SEEN ..YOU GOT .. ok look we can meet at the video store in half hour. I bring the popcorn."

Films can expire. Certainly Citizen Kane has had a undeniable effect on cinema when it did, but this has permeated into our culture so profoundly that today there is no difference between having seen it and not having seen it.
On the other hand a testament to films that are still watchable today without any special prerequisites or intentions, such as Seven Samurai, or Stalker, or .. i mean, jesus, Casablanca is from 1942! It was filmed DURING THE WAR IT PORTRAYS and it's still engrossing to watch, but no, one doesnt need to sit through The Seventh Seal anymore, or Gold Rush, or BATTLESHIP M**FKKK*$# POTEMKIN !
A+ rant, would subscribe.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Watched two movies, one good and one bad.

Crazy Rich Asians - 8/10. Cute Rom-Com movie. There are so damn rich folks in the world. The only things I did not like about the movie were a few things that were whitewashed/not based on facts. Will watch the sequel for sure. It is greenlighted by the studio already.

Mile 22 - 5/10. Goodness, it was not good at all. The editing of the fight scenes was horrible and choppy. The logic was bad. The whole thing was bad. What a waste of talent for Iko Uwais. Go watch "The Raid" and its sequel.

Last edited:

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
The Mayans (pilot episode) - 6 or 7 out of 10 - kinda left it with a big fat "meh" feeling. I'll give it a chance still but definitely not close to the level that SOA was. Kind of cheesy and cliche and the acting is very suspect. And the fact that they are dropping f-bombs on FX now feels very forced and unnecessary.

Yeah, I wanted to watch this. I actually don't pay attention much to cuss words on cable channels...it is basically like I turn to the wife and say "they can say that now on this channel?" so that is interesting. Yes I'm old.

Anyways, Sutter is not exactly the Michelangelo of TV. SOA during the last years was basically a damn comedy, so I would assume this new show is more of the same. And I'll leave out the "Bastard Executioner" debacle.

With that said, I do miss the absurdity of SOA.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
A+ rant, would subscribe.
Thank you.

I watched a timeless classic, 1988's Without A Clue

the alternate-history before alternate history was cool, of Sherlock Holmes, where Dr Watson is the deductive genius, and Holmes is a drunk, stupid actor paid by Watson to play the part of the genius.

Starring a young Ben Kingsley as the energetic and arrogant Watson, and none other than Michael Caine as the bumbling "Holmes".

I had not watched this in 30 years or so, since catching it on TV. Shame it's a mostly forgotten film, at least 'round my place. Caine is brilliant, much better than any Man Who Would Be King or Harry Brown; comedy suits him in a way that drama doesnt.

7.5/10 - delightful little comedy gem

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The House of the Devil - 7/10 - 2009 film set to look like it was the 80's. The high level plot is a woman needing money takes a babysitting job for an older couple and their mother. The movie is a very very very slow burn. They don't make movies like this anymore. When things finally start happening there are quite a few 'wtf' moments. I didn't really care for how it ended, but overall it was enjoyable.

Action Point - 8/10 - It's Johnny Knoxville kind of like Bad Grandpa 2 with him telling a story of when he was younger and ran an amusement park. The nostalgia for me was high on this with all the 'death defying' rides. If you like the Jackass movies, this is similar but in a story form.

Emily Harvest - 7/10 - Story about a newlywed woman and her husband...can't say much else without giving it all away. Most people will probably figure out what is going on fairly early, however the movie takes an unexpected turn about halfway through and gets a bit crazier.

Sep 29, 2004
I'm going to guess it (predator) will be scary (bad)

I don't know if it will be bad. It could be a great comedy.

Early reviews (from film festivals) are hit and miss. I'm guessing 40% on RT once the dust settles. Praying for a good action movie that requires the brain to be off. FWIW: I like the Doom movie .... it's on Netflix. I appreciated what it did right granted it did alot wrong (like pacing).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Action Point - 8/10 - It's Johnny Knoxville kind of like Bad Grandpa 2 with him telling a story of when he was younger and ran an amusement park. The nostalgia for me was high on this with all the 'death defying' rides. If you like the Jackass movies, this is similar but in a story form.
I was a big Jackass and CKY series fan; I definitely will check this out. Hadn't heard of it before. LMAO and Chris Pontius is in the movie too... God that man is funny.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I seem to be immune to Gattaca's charms, preferring instead films like Equilibrium.

I cannot empathize with the protagonist; he is after all, trying to jeopardize humanity's future for his own desire to see the stars.

The plot itself isnt bad, the idea of someone having to cheat genetic testing, but then the film focuses on the perdonality of those around him, more character-focused rather than plot-focused, and i have no sympathy for any of them either. I know *im not supposed to* feel sympathy for wheelchairguy, but goshdarn it on a pickle, they made him so f*** annoying ...

And the end is .. also underwhelming. Ok you made it guy. You' flying to the stars.
Betcha you gonna be sorry pretty soon since your genetic makeup is full of defects, uh?

It's just that the film feels flat to me, alternating boredom and annoyance.

I would put it at 6.5/10

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I love both Gattaca and Equilibrium, but I compare Equilibrium more to The Matrix. Unfortunately I was blown away by Equilibrium the first couple years I saw it, but I saw it recently and it's stop motion fighting doesn't hold up.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I seem to be immune to Gattaca's charms, preferring instead films like Equilibrium.

I cannot empathize with the protagonist; he is after all, trying to jeopardize humanity's future for his own desire to see the stars.

The plot itself isnt bad, the idea of someone having to cheat genetic testing, but then the film focuses on the perdonality of those around him, more character-focused rather than plot-focused, and i have no sympathy for any of them either. I know *im not supposed to* feel sympathy for wheelchairguy, but goshdarn it on a pickle, they made him so f*** annoying ...

And the end is .. also underwhelming. Ok you made it guy. You' flying to the stars.
Betcha you gonna be sorry pretty soon since your genetic makeup is full of defects, uh?

I would put it at 6.5/10
As a short fat bald ugly man I can totally sympathize with someone wanting to fight a bullshit discriminatory system that keeps him/her from succeeding.
But yeah, ruining everyone else in the process seems a little selfish.

Aug 11, 2008
I don't know if it will be bad. It could be a great comedy.

Early reviews (from film festivals) are hit and miss. I'm guessing 40% on RT once the dust settles. Praying for a good action movie that requires the brain to be off. FWIW: I like the Doom movie .... it's on Netflix. I appreciated what it did right granted it did alot wrong (like pacing).

I thought the first Predator was great. The special effects were cool for the time, and some pretty good tough guy actors, Arnold, Jesse Ventura, Carl Weathers, and quite a few others were really bad-ass. The ending where Arnold sets the trap for the predator is outstanding, and of course the classic line when he first sees what he looks like: "You are one ugly ...........". Dont really see how a sequel could match the first one.

Reactions: IHateMyJob2004

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I give the new Predator movie a 2/10. Prior to this I've only watched Predator 1, 2, and AvP. Without having seen Requiem or Predators I'm pretty confident this is the worst of the bunch. What a stinker it is. The movie is one big joke. No, seriously, it is a joke. The constant attempt at one-liners and funny quips reduce any semblance of a script into a garbled mess. The plot is shit. The script is shit. Character motivation? I don't even know what that is. Everyone just does random shit, say random shit, get killed, rinse & repeat.

Just kill it already. By that I mean the movie franchise. How low of a bar do you want to set?

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Collateral 7/10 Good action/veg out movie, Tom Cruise looks more like Matthew McConaughey in this than himself. Solid, but it's got one odd coyote scene and I guessed the exact ending before Cruise even got a line, so that's -0.1 and -2.9 respectively.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Collateral 7/10 Good action/veg out movie, Tom Cruise looks more like Matthew McConaughey in this than himself. Solid, but it's got one odd coyote scene and I guessed the exact ending before Cruise even got a line, so that's -0.1 and -2.9 respectively.

I'd rate it around that, slightly higher. In fact I just watched it a few days ago (after seeing it a few times.) Forgot about Stratham @ the beginning. Like most other movies, do need to suspend belief in certain parts. For example body meets taxi. I think several people would be looking out their window on that one.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I would put it at 6.5/10

Equilibrium is also one of my favorite movies, great fight scenes, at least at the time, they didnt age well.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

Ignore the fight scenes. The fights are just eye candy, they have nothing to do with the underlying story. Yes i know the character is literally a fighting monk, but that is just his job, not his personality.
He undergoes a complicated arc; he does change, but it's not just bad guy -> revelation -> good guy, but rather from one type of bad guy to another type of bad guy.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Ghost chasers/Help my house is haunted.(and others)The Mediums,Psychics and sensitives.Devious or just insane? i just watched a few progs and these peeps were bat shit.True story,one said he felt a spiririt presence because of tinnitus.And one fat fucking woman said we are among spirits as her fucking fat stomach had grown.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I tried watching Equilibrium five years ago on the recommendation of someone saying it was as good and maybe even better then Matrix. Just one of those movies I never got around to watching.

Boy were they wrong. The gunkata, which was supposed to be really good, was so bad, the script even worse. Do not waste your time on it.

Sep 29, 2004
My opinion of the predator franchise? Remaster it in dolby atmos, re-release in tgeaters. Take ny money.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
My opinion of the predator franchise? Remaster it in dolby atmos, re-release in tgeaters. Take ny money.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

They would butcher it and we probably not get this great scene if it was released today.

Getting a crew like that today for a movie is impossible. They oozed charisma and chemistry.

I would put it at 6.5/10

One of the points of the movie was he was never given a chance. He showed that he could beat his brother in race, learn just as well as anyone, and could be 100% healthy for the rest of his life

We don't get to know that his heart will give out or not but that wasn't the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: urvile
Status
Not open for further replies.