NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 689 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Isnt that the film where it's all japanese people wearing suits? Like it's a suit commercial? That one?

I have been watching Counting Cars

which is basically pawn stars with cars. They buy stuff cheap off of chumps then kit them and flip them fo cash. I mean, nothing wrong with that.

The characters are somewhat likeable but the cars are really cool. I like this custom car show where they quickly get to the finished car (or bike) and i get to see 2-3 customs each episode. 7/10

The above is relevant because i have also watched a couple episodes of its clone show, Mobsteel.

you know trying too hard, but now there is trying too hard AND failing. The characters are bland and boring (and full of themselves) and the cars they make are shit, AND they take forever and show really boring extended shots of people doing boring uninteresting work.

6/10

like, there is nothing else on television, watch this.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Finally watched A Few Good Men 8/10
Solid movie throughout, with tons of talent. It would just be 7/10 except for that classic courtroom scene at the end, that's a +1 by itself

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I liked "A Few Good Men". Solid entertainment.

A friend of mine told me once that the Demi Moore character was originally male, a good friend of Cruise's who joins the legal team, tries to sabotage the case due to his adherence to the marine code, and eventually has a change of heart. I think Demi Moore is fine in the movie.

Kind of like Sicario. I read somewhere that Blunt's character was originally male but they decided to rewrite it for her. The bar scene originally had a female Latin assassin instead of the Walking Dead guy.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Isnt that the film where it's all japanese people wearing suits? Like it's a suit commercial? That one?

I have been watching Counting Cars

which is basically pawn stars with cars. They buy stuff cheap off of chumps then kit them and flip them fo cash. I mean, nothing wrong with that.

The characters are somewhat likeable but the cars are really cool. I like this custom car show where they quickly get to the finished car (or bike) and i get to see 2-3 customs each episode. 7/10

The above is relevant because i have also watched a couple episodes of its clone show, Mobsteel.

you know trying too hard, but now there is trying too hard AND failing. The characters are bland and boring (and full of themselves) and the cars they make are shit, AND they take forever and show really boring extended shots of people doing boring uninteresting work.

6/10

like, there is nothing else on television, watch this.

You thinking of Gung Ho?

Reactions: Homerboy

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Nu .. infernal affairs ... *i think*. Maybe not. Whatever it was, it wasnt good.
Maybe gung ho. Dont remember.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Dark is good, up to a certain extent, if it's well done.

Does anyone remember that show "Millennium", by Chris Carter? It basically took out all of the "cheery" X files stuff and left us with just dark, dark, dark, material about serial killers who were some kind of prophets of doom or something (I think). I loved the music, and I really like Lance Henrikson, so I lasted as long as I could. In the end, though, it was too much.

It showed, in a way, how black of a creative soul Chris Carter has, and the second X files movie sort of confirmed it. In the X files it was mitigated by the people and creative forces around him but when left to his own devices he slips off of the deep end.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

It showed, in a way, how black of a creative soul Chris Carter has, and the second X files movie sort of confirmed it.
"Dark" for dark's sake is a stupidly shallow indulgence which soon becomes tiresome. All surface (for effect) and no substance. All hat and no cattle.

In Ozark, the "darkness" is an organic and integral part of a story of a family in over their heads and on the run. It almost never insults your intelligence. It's like the gulf between a comic book and Dostoevsky. Some here truly can't discern the difference. To them I say, "Sucks to be you."

Reactions: Homerboy

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I just finished watching something amazing i want to share with everyone.

Back when i watched Cabin In The Woods. I thought it was ok but not great.
Now, i dont have much background in horror film, and am no fan of the slasher tropes.

But.

Do you guys know Cinema Sins?

Cinema Sins made some decent Youtube videos A LONG TIME AGO poking fun at some pretty bad films, but have since descended into making stupid videos where anything becomes a "sin", most of the time just making up bullshit to generate content. They suck.

So me seeing a video called "Everything Wrong with Everything Wrong with Cabin In The Woods" meant i had to watch it. And so do you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Z95LdlKGM#

Not only does the video rip to shreds that insult to intelligence which is Cinema Sins, but it also made me have a second opinion about Cabin In The Woods.

Spoiler: halfway through, there was a moment which made me burst out laughing (yes), as i had earphones on, everyone in the room turned to stare at me.

Watch it.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Ready Player One 8/10. Visually amazing and the story was "cute".

I just watched it, a lot of fun & your review nailed it...oh my gosh, the visuals, soooooo much fun! But the story...what I don't understand is why you would target 20 to 40 years with the content (Atari, Thundercats, BTTF, Iron Giant, etc.) & then target the movie to a 13-year-old audience. I mean, I know the demographics of movies are mostly that young teen males watch movies, and that's what sells tickets, but the whoooooooole point of the movie was the nostalgia factor, you know? It would have gone from an 80% to a 100% if they had put the same effort into the story as they did the CGI.

imo it really should have been a 2-part movie, if not a trilogy, and it should have had more meat than just being a cutesy story. They glossed over a lot of stuff, partially because it was targeted to the young teen crowd & partly just due to time. I didn't care for the PG-13 rating, because the stuff they threw in (particularly the swearing) was so noticeable that it was clear they simply put it in for the rating, not as part of the story.

Love the concept, loved the visual execution. Really fun, especially if you've played with VR before, because you can see it getting that good once they get retina-level VR screens & cheaper omni-treadmills & stuff. I'm curious if older people & non-technical people understood the concept as well as was intended...I'm a nerd who also happens to have a VR system at home, and loved the back & forth they did, but I wonder if non-techie people or people who didn't grow up in the video game generation really got the concept or not, like if they ended up getting as lost in it as say Inception.

I think my only complaint about the visuals was that they went a bit too fast through the crowd scenes...you'd barely catch a glimpse of recognizable characters, in fact we rewound it a couple times when we thought we saw a character, because the camera was zooming around so much...Spawn, Halo, Battletoads, etc, I would have LOVED to have seen those in more detail the the split-second they were on-screen! Especially since each of those CGI assets must have taken a monster amount of time to create & animation, and they were hardly even seen on-screen.

Anyway, visually awesome, pushes a lot of geek buttons, fun story but fairly generic & simple - but still really enjoyable overall! I knew going in it wasn't going to quite hold up to the book, so if you understand that the deeper storyline concepts are kind of toned down for the target age group, it will be a lot more fun.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Related news: Came across this list from this website.

With the addition of over 1,000 more lists during 2017, the net result is a mere 37 changes to the 1,000 Greatest Films listing. Only eight of these make their debut on the list, whereas the other 29 films are re-entries.

The number of best-of/all-time individual lists now tallies 6,016 (from 4,743 critics/filmmakers). The number of miscellaneous lists used (genre-based, country-based, etc.) now sits at 3,801. That’s 9,817 unique lists in total.

Class, discuss!

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I watched Schindler's List last night. Great movie. 9/10? I don't know, I don't rate movies. Well worth viewing despite the 3+ hour runtime.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
watched Ready Player One. Not having read the book, I thought it was a pretty good movie. The only thing that confused me was how expansive IOI was and how they had a pseudo paramilitary group within the company. I don't think the movie fully fleshed out exactly what IOI was (or at least as best I could tell). Still, very enjoyable. B+

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Doesnt even have Conan The Barbarian.
You can live your life without having seen Amarcord, but can you live your life without having known the riddle of steel??

Again the pompous critic will have Citizen Kane at n1 (and Star Wars at n280) because they .. despite adjusting the list .. ignore that life changes. Films age, some well (ex Seven Samurai), some not (The Third Man, The Birds, Some Like It Hot..). Films like Matrix or Pulp Fiction have literally revolutionised the film world, to the point where the vast majority of new films owe them something, but nooo, we still need Citizen fucking Kane at n1.

Critics suck balls. They suck balls because they have learned the art of critiquing films rather than the art of understanding film and that of enjoying film; this is why little masterpieces like Predator never make the list, because without knowing how film is made, or consuming it for entertainment, critics dont know how to "get" film, they only know how to write a column.

"I've never seen I Vitelloni"
"uh, oh, it's a .. well, a milestone of italian Neorealism, the hopeless struggle of the working class, yadda yadda existentialism.."
"I have also never seen Total Recall"
"WHATDAFAK ! YOU HAVE ... NOT SEEN ..YOU GOT .. ok look we can meet at the video store in half hour. I bring the popcorn."

Films can expire. Certainly Citizen Kane has had a undeniable effect on cinema when it did, but this has permeated into our culture so profoundly that today there is no difference between having seen it and not having seen it.
On the other hand a testament to films that are still watchable today without any special prerequisites or intentions, such as Seven Samurai, or Stalker, or .. i mean, jesus, Casablanca is from 1942! It was filmed DURING THE WAR IT PORTRAYS and it's still engrossing to watch, but no, one doesnt need to sit through The Seventh Seal anymore, or Gold Rush, or BATTLESHIP M**FKKK*$# POTEMKIN !

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Does anyone remember that show "Millennium", by Chris Carter? It basically took out all of the "cheery" X files stuff and left us with just dark, dark, dark, material about serial killers who were some kind of prophets of doom or something (I think). I loved the music, and I really like Lance Henrikson, so I lasted as long as I could. In the end, though, it was too much.

It showed, in a way, how black of a creative soul Chris Carter has, and the second X files movie sort of confirmed it. In the X files it was mitigated by the people and creative forces around him but when left to his own devices he slips off of the deep end.

They just released a documentary about this show. I met Lance Henricksen at a convention and he was promoting it. I remember watching it and liking it, but I don't really remember much about it.

Sep 29, 2004
The Nun .... anyone see it? My date tonight loves horror movies so she chose this one. I'm expecting a crappy movie. I expect the plot to be garbage. Will I atleast get some scares out of it? Any redeeming quality other than the credits hit eventually?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Gattaca(1997) - 8/10

The trailers simply do not do it justice, its a really underrated science fiction movie with a great musical score, Ethan Hawke and Jude Law are standouts.

Reactions: ImpulsE69
Status
Not open for further replies.