NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 680 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Sorry to Bother You - 8.5/10 - I really liked this movie. I it not what you would expect from the trailer. The social commentary is very dense, and sometimes it feels like they just tried to shove a little bit of everything in. That would be my main complaint is that it's message would probably been better received if they did not try to shotgun every social movement into every scene, but at the same time it did not completely fail, because it did a reasonable job of showing how all these things work together to create the dystopia that the characters live in.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I also watched The Bridge (not The Bridge) and thought it was a poor copy.

When you say Broadchurch, do you mean Broadchurch, or Broadchurch?
The good one, with David Tennant, or the bad one, with David Tennant??
Ha ha, you mean the American Version with David Tennant/Anna Gunn?
Yeah that was nowhere as good as the UK version. It was not called Broadchurch, it was called gracepoint.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3435532/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_9

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I admit failure.

I tried again to watch without interruption 1408
Starring John Cusak and Sam L Jackson, both -miraculously- in a not-phoned-in role.
There is something just terrifying about this film, with even the most innocuous shots contribute to an unbreaking tension.

I would genuinely NOT recommend this film, because it's too scary.

Im having a hard time voting it properly, but i would lean towards a high 8/10.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Mission Impossible: Fallout - 8/10

Predictable, but super fun. Beautiful visuals, especially towards the end in the mountains. I think this is the best role I've seen Superman in. Didn't realize there were two separate girls until like 3/4 of the way into the movie, lol. They had some throwbacks to the older movies & TV show, which was pretty cool. I knocked off one star because you can guess what's going to happen within like 20 minutes (but they do such a fun job increasing the tension that that's where the enjoyment comes from) & because I loved how complex the story of the first one was & this was definitely more of an action movie, which is fine, but it would have also been fun to have had to watch it twice like the original movie to soak it all up. Also, Tom Cruise is nuts - he flies the chopper himself & it looks amazing!

Side note, saw it at the AMC Empire 25 Atmos theater in NYC. Screen is 78 feet wide! Dual 4K laser projectors, Dolby Atmos sound, and chairs with rumble feedback. Sooooo many speakers! 5 in the screen & 48 around the theater, plus 4 subs on the ceiling. Every movie should have Atmos, it's really great! Way better than 5.1 surround-sound. If you ever get the chance, definitely see an Atmos movie in an Atmos theater, it's awesome!

Last edited:

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I watched a film i had previously ignored so hard i had forgotten it existed:

Million Dollar Baby

Clint Eastwood stars and directs in this boxing drama about a not-so-young girl who boxes because she has nothing else in her life.
The characters are typical Eastwood, with Morgan Freeman pitching in a good effort as supporting character. The story is well developed but ...
I couldnt get myself to watch the last 20min; Clint here decided that the bad guy wins, just when you were expecting the hero to triumph.

A powerful film. I hesitate to recommend it as, well, it put me in a really bad mood, that should say something.

Tentative vote of 7.5/10 but you should decide for yourself. If emotions is what you want, dont buy into a film where the emotions are prefabricated, like CHAPPiE, but rather try this.

Fantastic movie. Not afraid to admit I cried a bit during that. Like 10-15 years ago? Such a great movie, even if I didn't care for the ending. Coming from living in a van, to staring in that movie and getting awards. Amazing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I admit failure.

I tried again to watch without interruption 1408
Starring John Cusak and Sam L Jackson, both -miraculously- in a not-phoned-in role.
There is something just terrifying about this film, with even the most innocuous shots contribute to an unbreaking tension.

I would genuinely NOT recommend this film, because it's too scary.

Im having a hard time voting it properly, but i would lean towards a high 8/10.

Wut? Scary? Scary boring maybe. Hated that movie and I love both the actors.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Father of the Year 8/10. On Netflix, has David Spade and some others. Typical movie from this co., still pretty damn funny. I don't normally laugh out loud and I did several times in this one. Feel good comedy, with some sexual jokes, and an easy fun watch.
I must admit, I really liked this one. Certainly a surprisingly good movie. 8/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Wut? Scary?
I scare easy.

Tbh the bottom 40% of the film is not as scary once the room is all broken up, but the film gets there still holding tension.
Im sorry you didnt like it, i mean that.

Right now im watching First Snow.

A chain-smoking salesman (Guy Pierce) has his fortune told, and after an initial disbelieving, he realizes he will die at the first snow.
J.K. Simmons (and others) supporting.

A simple film that uses standard storytelling techniques, but well made.

7/10

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The Bridge (US version on FX) was so terrible I couldn't make it past like episode 6. The acting on it was just atrocious and to the point that it just completely took me out of it.
I never bothered with this, but I absolutely loved the Denmark/Sweden original. Compelling characters, great acting, and writing.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
horror movies.

Ok, i need to explain.

Horror stuff like The Ring will terrorize me like im a 12yo girl.
Monster horror like Friday 13 is boring and stupid.
Zombies are cool.

I dont like "protagonist goes in the cellar to investigate" not because it's scary but because it's dumb and bad writing.

But when something terrible is about to happen and the protagonist doesnt know, or worse, is reasonably trying to prevent it, then i get proper legit scared. I need to pause the film and walk out of the room scared.

Scifi horror is cool tho. Alien isn't scary.

TLDR i walked out of Gremlins because i got scared.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
LOTR Fellowship / extended

172 minutes.

While LOTR has an awesome story and some truly excellent characters ... and Jackson's production is stellar .. the acting is bad, the direction is bad, the music is awful, and the pacing is slow.

Maybe in 30 years we will have a remake and maybe it will not suck.

It's not a *bad* movie but it should have been so much better.

8.5/10 if you dont know the story
7/10 if you do

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Finally watched Infinity War and I wasn't expecting it. To be anywhere near as good as it was. The CGI is crazy with Thanos (Josh Brolin) looking almost life like.

9/10

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
Tv shows-wise...just started watching Archer.
10/10.

(working my way backward from season 9 streaming on Amazon Prime,since I ordered seasons 1-6 on blu-ray from Amazon.)

One of the funniest,and most beautiful-looking tv shows I've ever seen.
Reminds me of a animated verson of the TV show Eastbound and Down,in terms of its humor.
If the Prime streaming episodes look this good,I can't wait to see the blu-rays.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Really? I thought Howard Shore's score was mostly fantastic.
Two problems, actually.

First, and not quite as bad, the entire score has but two themes. These get reworked as needed - which is a standard practice in filmscoring - and while there are some compositional choices which i disagree with, Shore is free to write as he pleases; i find it personally displeasing, not factually.

Second, the score needs to learn to SHUT THE FUCK UP. There will be main characters discussing a major point advancement, and the score is still going with chord changes. Add an over-enthusiastic audio engineer who turned up the volume beyond reason and you cant hear what is being said anymore. It's distracting to say the least.

Check Fellowship's "frodo / galadriel mirror meeting" scene for a clear example.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Tv shows-wise...just started watching Archer.
10/10.

(working my way backward from season 9 streaming on Amazon Prime,since I ordered seasons 1-6 on blu-ray from Amazon.)

One of the funniest,and most beautiful-looking tv shows I've ever seen.
Reminds me of a animated verson of the TV show Eastbound and Down,in terms of its humor.
If the Prime streaming episodes look this good,I can't wait to see the blu-rays.

If you think S9 is funny, wait til you get to earlier seasons.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies (2018)

The most mindless film I have watched at the cinema :) If you liked the series, you'll probably like this.

Reactions: DigDog

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
LOTR Fellowship / extended

172 minutes.

While LOTR has an awesome story and some truly excellent characters ... and Jackson's production is stellar .. the acting is bad, the direction is bad, the music is awful, and the pacing is slow.

Maybe in 30 years we will have a remake and maybe it will not suck.

It's not a *bad* movie but it should have been so much better.

8.5/10 if you dont know the story
7/10 if you do

Huh. I dislike Jackson's LOTR trilogy with a passion, but the acting on the whole is pretty competent IMO. Sure, there are actors in it that aren't great, but then those actors aren't called upon to carry the film, and maybe three characters in the entire book aren't cardboard-cutout deep. It's written like the author had a burning passion for history, and in that respect I think it is a very interesting read, but in a traditional sense of having interesting and complex characters and character development, it's incredibly dull.

I won't comment on the pacing because if I'm ever forced to watch those films again I'll likely be spending every second willing for it to end already, and I can't remember anything about the extended version (I think my wife made me watch it once).

What's your problem with the score? Howard Shore was as great as ever IMO IIRC.

IMO the LOTR trilogy should be a series with many seasons, and the only additions to the story involve making some actual character for the actors to chew on. My main problem with PJ's trilogy is the script: It's the Hollywood version of LOTR, designed to put couples' bums on seats and to appeal to as many people as possible, which is pretty much the opposite of the book, which is firmly in fantasy nerd territory.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Two problems, actually.

First, and not quite as bad, the entire score has but two themes. These get reworked as needed - which is a standard practice in filmscoring - and while there are some compositional choices which i disagree with, Shore is free to write as he pleases; i find it personally displeasing, not factually.

Second, the score needs to learn to SHUT THE FUCK UP. There will be main characters discussing a major point advancement, and the score is still going with chord changes. Add an over-enthusiastic audio engineer who turned up the volume beyond reason and you cant hear what is being said anymore. It's distracting to say the least.

Check Fellowship's "frodo / galadriel mirror meeting" scene for a clear example.

I'd be interested to revisit this trilogy without my nostalgia kicking in too much. I bet I would be just as annoyed by this as you. Now I don't even want to and just be happily blissful in my ignorance.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Im gonna be totally honest and i just dont want to explain why i think lotr is mediocre. It would take me too much nerd energy to explain how i feel.
I can give you a cliff notes version.
1. Frodo staring
too much too slow staring by him and everyone
2. Speaking in takes
just about only face-of-character-speaking takes
3. Flanderization of Legolas etc
i accept that elves-as-divine-creatures is not easy to film
4. CGI style combat

Thats all i can say in writing. But i feel that the film does very badly on the artistry of filmmaking; camera angles, dramatic timing, use of scenery to accent the characters, delivery of dialogue, in general everything that is acting and direction.

As for the characters .. Legolas, the Hobbits, Gandalf, are such cool characters that even watered down they are still cool.

I loved the orcs. I didnt like the trolls that much, i hated the Mumaks, and never cared for Ents in the first place.
The cgi goblins in moria were shit.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Penn & Teller - Fool Us 7/10

Into season 5 now. I like the acts they bring out. Mostly top drawer magic acts. I do prefer the seasons done in UK. Jonathan Ross was a more capable foil.

Aug 11, 2008
Mission Impossible: Fallout - 8/10

Predictable, but super fun. Beautiful visuals, especially towards the end in the mountains. I think this is the best role I've seen Superman in. Didn't realize there were two separate girls until like 3/4 of the way into the movie, lol. They had some throwbacks to the older movies & TV show, which was pretty cool. I knocked off one star because you can guess what's going to happen within like 20 minutes (but they do such a fun job increasing the tension that that's where the enjoyment comes from) & because I loved how complex the story of the first one was & this was definitely more of an action movie, which is fine, but it would have also been fun to have had to watch it twice like the original movie to soak it all up. Also, Tom Cruise is nuts - he flies the chopper himself & it looks amazing!

Side note, saw it at the AMC Empire 25 Atmos theater in NYC. Screen is 78 feet wide! Dual 4K laser projectors, Dolby Atmos sound, and chairs with rumble feedback. Sooooo many speakers! 5 in the screen & 48 around the theater, plus 4 subs on the ceiling. Every movie should have Atmos, it's really great! Way better than 5.1 surround-sound. If you ever get the chance, definitely see an Atmos movie in an Atmos theater, it's awesome!
I enjoyed the movie a lot, but I thought Cavill was still a weak link. Alex Baldwin, although I am not a fan of his, was quite good in his brief role.

Status
Not open for further replies.