NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 670 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Tomb Raider (new one) - 8/10 - this movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was a lot more grittier than the previous ones and this chick that plays Lara is a lot better than Angelina Jolie. She actually looks kinda tough. I thought it was very well done and recommend it. One of the better video game movies for sure.
full metal bitch has a 6pack :eek:

edit:
oh wow.. that kung fu guy from the Badlands and his fat sidekick are also in this movie. :eek:
I guess those 2 are pretty good friends in real life?

edit2: yup
http://popculture.com/tv-shows/2017/06/06/into-the-badlands-nick-frost-daniel-wu/

edit3:
thought the scene of her running thru the jungle with bow + arrow was cheesy.
especially since she killed a merc with a gun. why didn't she go back for the gun???

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Pacific Rim 2 - 8/10 - the first one was surprisingly badass and this one was pretty much more of the same. The whole second half of the movie is basically one long badass battle scene with giant robots and monsters. The special effects and sound in this movie are once again very well done. I probably would have scored it a 9 if the acting wasn't painful to watch a lot of the time. But damn if this movie didn't deliver and entertain.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Tomb Raider (new one) - 8/10 - this movie was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was a lot more grittier than the previous ones and this chick that plays Lara is a lot better than Angelina Jolie. She actually looks kinda tough. I thought it was very well done and recommend it. One of the better video game movies for sure.

That "chick," my man, is the great Alicia Vikander, which is Swedish for "Instant Boner."

(I stole that from someone. forget where)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Pacific Rim 2 - 8/10 - the first one was surprisingly badass and this one was pretty much more of the same. The whole second half of the movie is basically one long badass battle scene with giant robots and monsters. The special effects and sound in this movie are once again very well done. I probably would have scored it a 9 if the acting wasn't painful to watch a lot of the time. But damn if this movie didn't deliver and entertain.
similar to the original in that it's not cgi but people in costumes, ala old Godzilla movies?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Becauze of life in beach-land and therefore non-computer-owning, i had to watch my films on a something called thetelevision. Not sure why i cant pause or load subs, and its full of unskippable ads.

Bad, bad, horrible bad film that i had the good sense to not watch back when.

John Cusak is Science Man who run with kids to Nepal to escaped a 10km high tsunami, Chadwick Boseman is Also Science Man who nearly causes the extinction of humanity to save some random rich douches who had the funds to fly to nepal, and they also have an actor who plays Military Man Who Endangers The Mission.
Cusak while underwater rips out a piece of steel solidly embedded in what is basically a car crusher with his bare hands therefore saving everyone at the last second while kids scream daddy.

The film is bad for 90% of the runtime and then horrid for the last 10% when the writers just open the pump of badness.

4/10

And also i watched Twins

The epic Schwartzenegger / DeVito film.

Sure, the action scenes are crap, and when you are 17yo all you see is Schwartzy, but danny devito has some real depth in his character and is really in top form here.

Classic comedy. 7/10

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Started watching Star Trek and noticed some things I hadnt before.
Janice Rand had a lot more to do in those first few episodes. McCoy was used relatively little, and Uhura barely at all.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I ...

Im still on the TV. For some reason, they been playing the same film about 4 times in the last 2 weeks, so i caved in and watched:

The League Of Exceptionally Miscast Gentlemen

Which i had once previously tried to watch but was horrified. This time i watched it to the end.
Its your typical non-Marvel Marvel movie, with unrealistic physics, buffoon characters who occasionally try and fail at being serious ... and the worst casting this side of Teen Titans.

Sean Connery at well past 70 is cast as an action hero, alongside The Invisible Man, Tom Sawyer, Mina the now-a-vampire from Dracula, Capt Nemo (actually pretty cool in its own way), Dorian Gray .. seriously im not making this up .. Mr Hyde (discount Hulk), The Phantom Of The Opera who is also Moriarty, oh god please make it stop.

They fight a bunch of Evil Henchman redshirts by the dozen and then each hero has a fight with their counterpart nemesis / generic villain where needed, amidst a flurry of decent CGI and not terribly imaginative settings.

Not the worst film ever but still not ideal for anything.

6/10

Oh yeah, i was also watching an old Julia Childs recipe on tv which ithought was cool so my brain tried to "like it".

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Muppet Babies theme song was the bomb. Show itself was decent.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Sicaro 2: 4/10

Nothing like the 1st one.
Plot made no sense.

Thought they were going after the oldest son?
Why did he want to return the girl back to the US?
The ending had no closure.

Ugg....

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
RE:
The League Of Exceptionally Miscast Gentlemen

That one shot of Mina (Peta Wilson) licking her lips made the whole movie worthwhile.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Escape Plan 2 - 4/10 - bad movie is bad. The first one was fun with Arnold and Sly, but this one was just all over the place and dumb with terrible acting. Do not recommend even if you liked the first one.

Aug 11, 2008
hm.. rotten tomatoes gives it 65% so 6.5/10.
let me know what you think?
I liked it, maybe 7 out of 10. The ending seemed rushed and incomplete though. I know they are probably setting up for a third installment, but just too many loopholes and loose ends.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
IT

I give this one a -10 for being at least 10 times worse then "The Last Jedi" which seems like the benchmark that all new movies are judged against these days.

How could anyone who has seen Tim Currys version of Pennywise in the miniseries, seen the miniseries or have read Kings book like this? Pennywise just wasnt well portrayed or scary unless you are already afraid of clowns. Devilish grinning is not acting and the voice just didnt match.

Actors were generally good, sets and cinematography was great but thats it. Dialog just tries too hard to be 13 year old humor and story is so disjointed it is distracting. The bullies are both so over the top and stereotypical as to be laughable. As for horror? There is none. Maybe I missed the point and this was supposed to be a comedy.

Girl: Im not afraid of you
Penny: You will be.
Is this "IT" or "Star Wars" Echos of Yoda.

Hope they dont make chapter 2, the better part of the book IMHO, and ruin that as well. Kings character development is what drives that part even more so and the few glimpses of the attempts to do so in chapter one were sorely lacking.

I dont think this book or "The Stand" can be reduced to even 2 2hour movies.

Do yourself a favor and watch the 1970 miniseries instead or read!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Won't You Be My Neighbor -- 10/10. I was brought to tears or near tears at several times during this movie. 'Nuff said.

Trailer, which doesn't even do the movie full justice. You can sit back and scoff at me all you wish, but I DARE you to go see this movie and not come away deeply, deeply moved. Fred Rogers was the real deal.
It is with no exaggeration that I say he was our Gandhi.

Reactions: Homerboy
Status
Not open for further replies.