NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 661 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The King of Kong - 8/10. Lots of fun to watch. Billy Mitchell is so insecure it's almost sad.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - 7/10. Never saw any feature-length animated Batman movies before. I liked it. Reminded me of a long episode of Batman - TAS. I love the art style.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Is that the new HBO show? I might have to check it out.

So, finally had some time to think and stuff, here's thoughts on the big ol' box office destroyer Infinity War. (Already gave it a 9/10 earlier)
I think it deserves that title considering it's going to easily pass $1b in this next weekend (without China) and I see it hitting $1.5B in a month. By next week there's a chance IW will already be in the top 30 top-grossing movies of all time. If it does really well it could take the number two spot of all time gross right between Avatar at 2.78b and Titanic at 2.18b.

And it would deserve all that. This movie is fantastic. I'll probably need to see it a second time to find small issues with it, but I've never been a movie that is just a relentless experience like this. Obviously I'm a huge marvel fan, but this movie isn't built like it's just for fans of the movies. Sure, you need to know the characters and their powers to really get it, but the story and the action aren't built to exclude you if you don't know. For me as a fan it didn't feel like 2 hours and 30 minutes. It was dense and always going, but it never felt overfilled or complicated. There's tons of really really funny moments, but they almost never take away from the serious moments. The stakes feel real, especially for a comic book movie, and what a villain.
The ending was so crazy in my theater I couldn't chew the popcorn I'd just put in my mouth.

My two major points until I see it again.
Thanos - Holy crap. What a great character. In an interview one of the directors said Thanos was here as the protagonist of his own movie, and it shows. Part of what keeps the movie uncluttered is all the heroes we know and love are focused around the moving target of Thanos, who keeps moving on his own path. All the jumps around in locations and characters is anchored by him. And he is FANTASTIC. It's hard to talk about without spoiling parts, but I never thought a giant purple guy would be one of the most grounded and realistic Marvel villains I've ever seen. The performance both in voice and mocap by Josh Brolin is one of the best of all time. The emotion he can carry through just his voice is crazy.
Thanos drops some of his comic book silliness and man oh man does it make him even more intimidating,

CGI - Marvel/Disney is obviously one of the leaders in CGI, but they're in new territory now. Not every shot is perfect, but I'd say this movie had the best CGI I've ever seen. There's one shot that is straight up bad, but only one and I think there is a good reason for it. But the CGI for Thanos was 10/10. It is almost good enough to make you believe they casted a real purple giant as him. Again, the emotion they managed to put in his eyes is what blew my mind, I've never seen anything like it. Remember how mind-blowing Gollum was, and Caesar is in the new Planet of the Apes? Imagine that good but advance by another 2-3 years. It seriously feels like this kind of realness is the next step for CGI characters. Also the locations and lighting is incredible. Thor's lighting always blends with his surroundings and the wreckage place seen in the trailers is incredibly well done. I can't imagine how many people worked on this movie to get all this done in just over a year.

Now here's some spoilers
The intro to Thanos was insane. I saw the movie in IMAX, and after already being kinda creeped out by Ebony Maw's 'salvation' speech, hearing Thanos' voice start at one side and then fill the theater was actually really unnerving. The emotion part I was talking about with Thanos is mostly when he realizes he's about to have to throw Gamora over that cliff. Wow that felt real. Also though when he's on the Asguardian ship, talking on Titan, and at the very end with the wrecked gauntlet. Never thought I'd think a purple Titan was realistic, but here we are.
My whole theater laughed a ton, especially at Drax being invisible. I'm glad he's in this. Also the 'Missouri is on earth dipshit' moment. The characters all work so well together.
Thor's entrance into Wakanda got cheers and yells. Him yelling "BRING ME THANOS" was awesome, and that lighting hit right after was so cool. He's so powerful now I hope he sticks around for a few more movies.

The bad CGI moment, Banner's head coming out of the super huge suit. I think Hulk was going to be a part of the scene or something and they changed it to Banner last minute.

What an ending too. There was actually crying in the theater, I think mostly for spider-man. That one hurt. The lack of music the whole time was awesome. Someone brought up how at the start of the movie Stark dreamed of having a kid, part way through Spider-man jokes about 'if I die it's basically your fault', and then his kinda adopted son dies right in front of him. That's rough man. And also the fact that Mantis noticed first because of her empathetic abilities, and then Spider-man knew the whole time because his spider-sense. Ouch. :(

Can't wait to see it again.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Ghost in a Shell(Japanese voices/Original version) 10/10

I generally don't follow anime but I still cant believe I've never come across this before, this is right up there with Blade Runner for me.

This is the type of anime I can get behind, it has mature themes, great atmosphere, amazing art style, and excellent character building.

Can anyone recommend similar anime or from that time period with similar 2D art style?

I recently also found Patlabor the movies, looks great from the trailers I've seen.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
No Ready Player One comments? I'm debating whether or not to see this tonight.

Saw this back in March and if you go back to #653 I posted my review . I thought it wasn't bad if your into cheesy old 80's video games nostalgia.

However if I had to choose between RPO and Marvel, I would probably go see Marvel Infinity.

Reactions: IHateMyJob2004

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Den of Thieves - 9.6/10

Very, very good movie. Cops and bank robbers, cat and mouse with some twists. Most people probably won't rate this movie this high, I did particularly because its the first movie in a long time that accurately portrays how to use a weapons, and have proper manipulation of them. From firing a SAW, to raking out a glass window to shoot through it, to reloading one handed, everything is just mostly perfect. I detest TWD and the like with their gun usage, really pisses me off. Acting was good, action was constant, just really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Thebobo and clamum

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

I generally don't follow anime but I still cant believe I've never come across this before, this is right up there with Blade Runner for me.

This is the type of anime I can get behind, it has mature themes, great atmosphere, amazing art style, and excellent character building.

Can anyone recommend similar anime or from that time period with similar 2D art style?

I recently also found Patlabor the movies, looks great from the trailers I've seen.

There is a lot of GITS you can watch.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Yes, there are two I would recommend.
Akira
Vampire Hunter D

Both are masterworks of the 2D art style that you approved of in Ghost in a Shell.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
IT (the new one) - 8/10 - while this movie was not really scary at all and I found myself laughing a lot more than worrying about scares, I just enjoyed it. Pennywise was pretty meh overall and not nearly as clever as he was in the old one, which was disappointing. Based on what I had heard I expected more gore and more kids to get fucked up, so I was a bit disappointed in that sense too. But overall, while not scary in the least, I enjoyed it. The chemistry and shit talking between the kids was a lot of fun, way more so than Stranger Things IMO.

Sep 29, 2004
Saw this back in March and if you go back to #653 I posted my review . I thought it wasn't bad if your into cheesy old 80's video games nostalgia.

However if I had to choose between RPO and Marvel, I would probably go see Marvel Infinity.

Right now I am thinking that RPO should be rental and I should go see the marvel movie tonight.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Right now I am thinking that RPO should be rental and I should go see the marvel movie tonight.
If you're a marvel fan at all that is for sure the way to go. IMO IW is the better movie as a movie, but if you aren't a marvel fan RPO does score good nostalgia points.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ready Player One - 6/10. Liked it better than I thought. Still limited in character development and didn't go as far into the 80s culture as I would have liked. Differed from the book by a lot, and I think in no way that was better, but I do appreciate the necessity of some of it given limited screen time. In a way, the changes weren't so bothersome because I really didn't know how the challenges would play out, and the movie was at least consistently entertaining enough to hold my interest. There were a lot of plot holes or just things that were super implausible.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The Wailing (2016) - 8/10

Creepy, South Korean mystery/thriller. I wouldn't really call it a horror but it had some scary moments. I really liked the good vs evil theme and the characters, but it was a tad long and slow at parts.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Beyond Outrage (2012) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1724962/

another Takeshi Kitano film, this one's pretty good. decent. it's not bad.

The story takes place on the backdrop of two huge Yakuza clans. One of the two clans has recently undergone an internal power struggle, and a new boss has emerged.
Undercover cop Kataoka (Fumiyo Kohinata, by far the best of the bunch) pretends to be on the take, to seed discord between the two clans.
The film is obviously all in Japanese, with excellent subs. The acting is good, and the various machinations are quite complex, so you'll have to pay attention to who is who; and the characters aren't styled like "big guy with gun" but based on their personalities, so again, you'll have to pay attention.

A nice film, but .. it's just your typical Kitano gangster film. Kitano used to be a genius director, go watch Brother, and you will see a spark of existentialist brilliance that this film - albeit very well made - simply does not have.
In a way, if you enjoyed The Godfather, you might enjoy this, because it's the same kind of film, minus the soundtrack, minus the photography, and with a less interesting story structure, but it's not bad, just, it lacks vision.

7/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Black Panther

hmm .. it's .. wasn't horrible. at least the beginning of the film was ok, i experienced *some* suspension of disbelief, but it got too "superheroy" in the end. and in the middle.
and please, stop with the fake accents. weird accents and one liners do not go together, you either speak the language, or you don't, you can't talk like a white newyork script writer and have a thick african accent at the same time.
the bad guy was great.
the whole story does not in any way benefit from being a Marvel product, if you had the same characters, the same actors (minus Forrest Whitaker), but *didn't* make a marvel film, it would have probably been better.

eh ... almost 7/10

no. actually, no. more like 6.5/10.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Den of Thieves - 9.6/10

Very, very good movie. Cops and bank robbers, cat and mouse with some twists. Most people probably won't rate this movie this high, I did particularly because its the first movie in a long time that accurately portrays how to use a weapons, and have proper manipulation of them. From firing a SAW, to raking out a glass window to shoot through it, to reloading one handed, everything is just mostly perfect. I detest TWD and the like with their gun usage, really pisses me off. Acting was good, action was constant, just really enjoyed it.

I hope to check this out this weekend.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
+1 for Akira. One of my top five movies of all time. So freaking good, and the soundtrack is incredible. I think I read somewhere that the animation was created around the score.

I wish movies like Akira and Spirited Away would come up for view on Netflix or Amazon prime.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Truth or Dare - 2/10

So, I have Moviepass and we go to the movies almost every Wednesday. This week we were going to go see the new Avengers movie, but they were all sold out. So, since we were there, and Movepass is basically prepaid, we decided to go to the next movie that started. That turned out to be Truth or Dare.

The main thing I would say about it is that it is completely unoriginal in every way. The movie is formulaic from the very beginning to the end credits. That would be okay, movies like Final Destination is formulaic but managed to be interesting by having fun over the top deaths and copious amounts of sexuality, but there is none of that in this movie. The deaths are basic, overly telegraphed, and literally bloodless (I can't remember seeing any blood in the show at all) and the only sex scene is firmly PG rated and frankly boring, the show barely earned it's PG-13 rating. I honestly think that it took a committee of people working together to make a horror movie about a group of college co-eds playing truth or dare this uninteresting. The movie is a cash in on the name and nothing more. It is a shame really, the concept had promise if the producers had gone all out with it and made it a Final Destination type movie.

HustleUp

Apr 27, 2018
Hostiles 8/10

Christian Bale was very severe and emotionless which is probably a good thing here. A bit emotional story about person's attitude and when it's relevant to let it go. Liked it overall, as I like the kind of movies when people become open-minded about very radical things.

Status
Not open for further replies.