NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 660 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Little Big Man - 10/10

I'm a bit embarrassed that up until last week I had never even heard of this movie, have I been living under a rock? This movie is awesome! Even though it is a "tad" bit long I can't complain because there is not single dull moment in the whole thing. The actor that they got to play General Custer was an A+ spot on choice. I laughed aloud plenty of times during the movie. Highly recommended.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I agree. I don't come to praise Lost, but I'm not here to bury it either.

I got my enjoyment out of it for years. But the pain of nearing the end of the finale and finally succumbing to the realization that nothing was going to be resolved is still palpable as well. I still remember panicking during the final commercial break when I saw there were only like 11 minutes to go in the entire series.

Lost is quite an enigma for me. I LOVED the show when it was originally on, I compared it to reading a good book. I still think it stands up but the elephant in the room is the last season. So much stuff just didn't get resolved. I hated the ending but in hindsight..... I don't really know how they could have ended the series all that well. At that point they were so much in the hole that I guess they just had to cut their losses and make up some arbitrary BS.

The way the final season unfolded, show ended and fact that the show kept taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back throughout the run makes me not want to recommend it to anyone even though I think seasons 1-5 are great. It was like they just kept baiting you back with the carrot on the stick and never fully delivered. If you told me the same exact people that made Lost are making a new series I would actually avoid it.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I watched TFA on a dome and yes, that is exactly what happened outside the center 3rd of the screen. We said we'd never watch that kind of movie on a dome again. That was actually the first time I'd went to one, I had always assumed IMAX was just a much larger screen, not a dome. Sure it can do some cool 3D effects (saw those in the ads before the movie), but I'm not sure it is of much use for things not made specifically for it.
So apparently IMAX does huge normal screens too. That's what I've got booked for Infinity War Saturday.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So apparently IMAX does huge normal screens too. That's what I've got booked for Infinity War Saturday.

Yes- there's 2 flavors of "IMAX". One is just a huge traditional screen. The other is a domed screen with basically a 180* wrap around. 25 years ago, my friends and I used to religiously drive down to The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago any time they had a new "movie" showing at the IMAX Dome there. Still one of the best theater experiences out there.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, it might be a cultural thing. LBM is one of those films that is constantly in rotation on Italian TV, and it will be on at least a couple times a year. More common than The Graduate, for sure.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Little Big Man - 10/10

I'm a bit embarrassed that up until last week I had never even heard of this movie, have I been living under a rock? This movie is awesome! Even though it is a "tad" bit long I can't complain because there is not single dull moment in the whole thing. The actor that they got to play General Custer was an A+ spot on choice. I laughed aloud plenty of times during the movie. Highly recommended.

thanks this was a awesome movie and like you i cant believe ive never seen it.

Reactions: MetalMat

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Florida Project on amazon prime 8/10

I wasn't sure if I would like it but it was actually a decent flick.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Avengers: Infinity War - 9/10 - I've only liked a handful of the Marvel movies, but this one...surpasses them all IMO. Only recent superhero movie I like more is Deadpool.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
The story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program.

58b876ae0795a.jpg

Reactions: OutHouse

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
it was pretty good...kind of eye opening that time period. I had no clue there was a whole department with just black people crunching numbers. the racism was pretty bad even in nasa. John Glenn seemed like a really cool guy.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
it was incidental that they were black. they were not chose because they were black or because it was black work, but because of the way people were segregated, all the people in that typing pool were black women. The typing pool that then fed the calculations team.
soft segregation, if you will, like "women are secretaries".

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
it was incidental that they were black. they were not chose because they were black or because it was black work, but because of the way people were segregated, all the people in that typing pool were black women. The typing pool that then fed the calculations team.
soft segregation, if you will, like "women are secretaries".

one scene stood out for me though. the scene where there was coffee pot labeled "colored coffee"

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Watched "Downsized" last weekend, it was kind of hard to get through. 4/10
Saw the Marvel movie last night, 8-9/10 because it wasn't perfect. Best movie I have seen recently though by far because I like me some superheroes.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Spiderman Homecoming - 8/10

More than pleasantly surprised by this Marvel entry. I usually see these in the theater, but since Spiderman has been rehashed so many times, my son and I skipped this one when it was showing. We decided to watch this one before seeing Infinity War and I have to say, it was really entertaining. As all Marvel movies, it was a solid mix of humor and action throughout the whole movie. Well paced and well written I think (as far as such movies go).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
A Quiet Place -- 9.5/10

Holy wow I absolutely loved this movie. Just awesome and the best movie I've seen in quite a long time. Great acting, great camera work, great sound, lots of emotion but enough lighthearted moments it doesn't get overwhelming, unique and interesting story. And Emily Blunt. Krasinski knocked it out of the park, IMO.

I'm not sure I totally like the very end, but meh.There's definitely room for a sequel and as far as I know it did well in theaters (rightfully so), so hopefully we'll get to see more of this. Only bad thing is we'll have to wait so long! Haha.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
The Terror - 7
Binge watched it over the weekend. I liked it but thought it was overhyped. Should have kept the mystery of the beast going on a bit longer as well as one of the captains to keep the tension between them.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Train to Busan

fast zombies have always freaked me out and this film cemented that thought. Immediately had nightmares after falling asleep afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.