NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 659 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
A Quiet Place - 6.5/10
  1. Given the situation, and being 400+ days in, why on Earth would they have another baby? A BABY of all things. One of the loudest and most uncontrollable and unpredictable things in the world?!
  2. Wouldn't you spend more time by the river/waterfall? And your kids would be away that sound drowns out other noises?
  3. The ending? What? Huh? you can just shoot them? Seems I'd have a gun on me at all times.

- Deciding to make a baby was one of the bigger gaffs to me too... and the first thing I thought of was how are they going to keep it QUIET??? Seems they had a somewhat-effective solution after all. Still, not a good decision to bring a child into THIS world.
- Spending time at the water is fine, but they cannot live there. They'd have to build a permanent shelter and that is noise in itself.
- Shooting them is fine, but once you do that, you better have a good way to shoot all of them who will come fast & furious too. I think this is where the military failed - didn't know how to slow/weaken them...?
- Speaking of which... couldn't the military have just gone up in a chopper and wrecked them as they come through? They can't possibly jump that high.
- I mentioned the nail in my original post. Why did nobody else step on that damned nail including the creatures? I kept cringing when someone was making their way down each and every time, but they never addressed it again. /angryfist

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
- Deciding to make a baby was one of the bigger gaffs to me too... and the first thing I thought of was how are they going to keep it QUIET??? Seems they had a somewhat-effective solution after all. Still, not a good decision to bring a child into THIS world.
- Spending time at the water is fine, but they cannot live there. They'd have to build a permanent shelter and that is noise in itself.
- Shooting them is fine, but once you do that, you better have a good way to shoot all of them who will come fast & furious too. I think this is where the military failed - didn't know how to slow/weaken them...?
- Speaking of which... couldn't the military have just gone up in a chopper and wrecked them as they come through? They can't possibly jump that high.
- I mentioned the nail in my original post. Why did nobody else step on that damned nail including the creatures? I kept cringing when someone was making their way down each and every time, but they never addressed it again. /angryfist

LOL my wife said the same thing about the nail. Every time somebody went up and down the stairs. I was waiting for the alien to step on it. :)

Reactions: KeithTalent

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The shotgun was an absolute last resort if they were about to be killed. They knew it would bring a barrage of Shyamalan monsters that they weren't equipped to stop, without the hearing aid, I guess.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Tommy Boy - 8/10. I miss these really great 90s comedies that the whole family can watch but is still somewhat on the edge of what's appropriate.
I agree with this 1000%. They don't make "dumb" comedies anymore at all. Every comedy now a days has a sappy serious part at the end that tries to teach the audience some lame ass lesson. The ones that don't do that anymore and are actually good movies are far and few between.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
A Quiet Place - 6.5/10

For it's actual genre, I'd give it another 1.5 stars I think but from a standard "movie" standpoint, I'll stick with 6.5 - 7 at best.
It was good, but in no way should it be getting the lavish praise that it has been receiving. It's definitely "new" and "different" I guess. But for me and my wife, and from what I could overhear from the people around us the ending was pretty horrible. The acting, including the kids, was pretty impressive; especially based on the fact they didn't have many lines if actual dialogue to work with so they had to convey a lot of emotion and story with facial and body gestures. Usually I don't nit-pick story line gaps or flaws, but there were some stupid items in this movie that irked me (in spoiler tags)

It did keep you paying attention and on the edge of your seat - no question about that (hence the higher grade for the genre) It was entirely riveting throughout and was nicely paced.

1. The ending? What? Huh? you can just shoot them? Seems I'd have a gun on me at all times.

I said the same thing, the military could not figure out how to stop something you can kill by shooting? Sure, they might have posed some challenges, but it is not like human enemies can not find you based on the noise of all the guns going off. The military obviously knows how to form a firing line and hold it.

Also, they very obviously hunt by echo location and no one thought to attempt sonic countermeasures? I mean, really all you have to do is record their call, amplify the hell out, and play it back at them to 'blind' them.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The shotgun was an absolute last resort if they were about to be killed. They knew it would bring a barrage of Shyamalan monsters that they weren't equipped to stop, without the hearing aid, I guess.

They didn't even CARRY a gun. Ever. They seemed to have 1 shotgun laying around.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
to explain exactly how shit the new star wars is,

i sat down to watch Rogue One, and told myself "i am really gonna dedicate myself to watching the whole thing, no excuses".

and i made about 20 minutes in before i realized i had already watched the film. mind-blank. so worthless that it just erased itself from my mind.

i'm pretty sure i got some memories of a TV episode of the Smurfs i saw back in 1984 in there so the memory itself is not bad. Some Space 1999 too.

i guess it's just the film.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
to explain exactly how shit the new star wars is,

i sat down to watch Rogue One, and told myself "i am really gonna dedicate myself to watching the whole thing, no excuses".

and i made about 20 minutes in before i realized i had already watched the film. mind-blank. so worthless that it just erased itself from my mind.

i'm pretty sure i got some memories of a TV episode of the Smurfs i saw back in 1984 in there so the memory itself is not bad. Some Space 1999 too.

i guess it's just the film.

Happens to me to there are so many and most are bland and a new one coming out in may its just a blur.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
So this isn’t related to any specific movie, but have you guys watched a non-IMAX movie in IMAX? How bad was the distortion?

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The beginning of season 3 was WAY worse than season 2. All of those filler episodes with Jack, Kate, and Sawyer locked up. It was treading water.

True, but I think they had the writer's strike as an excuse for the meandering at the beginning of season 3. Studio execs had to double as writers.

The beginning of season 2 is just so awful, without excuses.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
True, but I think they had the writer's strike as an excuse for the meandering at the beginning of season 3. Studio execs had to double as writers.

The beginning of season 2 is just so awful, without excuses.

Lost simply doesn't stand the test of time very well. It really cashed in on cross marketing and hype via the internet just as the general populace was embracing such things. All the message boards were lit up with Lost talk and ABC jumped on it with mysterious websites and videos planted all over like Easter eggs.

What blows my mind is that it had 20+ episodes a season. That's CRAZY amount of writing to do for that type of show. Think of shows like that nowadays filling 10 or less per season.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, it was the definition of a water cooler show.

The most annoying aspect of the whole production is that they really did have greatness in their grasp. Think of what might have been if they had hired actual, skilled sci-fi writers to flesh out the island's discoveries instead of relying on mediocre soap opera scribes.

Could have been fantastic.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yeah, it was the definition of a water cooler show.

The most annoying aspect of the whole production is that they really did have greatness in their grasp. Think of what might have been if they had hired actual, skilled sci-fi writers to flesh out the island's discoveries instead of relying on mediocre soap opera scribes.

Could have been fantastic.

Once they got into a couple of seasons, like most long running TV shows, I knew there was no way they were going to dig out of the hole they created. The ending was never going to justify the means. Just made me enjoy the ride more knowing that the end was going to be a fiery crash.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
a non-IMAX movie in IMAX?

i don't think that's possible. i suspect that IMAX theaters are only allowed to show appropriate content.
i would also assume that - since there's not many IMAX screens available - there would always be some film taking precendence, anyway.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Once they got into a couple of seasons, like most long running TV shows, I knew there was no way they were going to dig out of the hole they created. The ending was never going to justify the means. Just made me enjoy the ride more knowing that the end was going to be a fiery crash.

I agree. I don't come to praise Lost, but I'm not here to bury it either.

I got my enjoyment out of it for years. But the pain of nearing the end of the finale and finally succumbing to the realization that nothing was going to be resolved is still palpable as well. I still remember panicking during the final commercial break when I saw there were only like 11 minutes to go in the entire series.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
i don't think that's possible. i suspect that IMAX theaters are only allowed to show appropriate content.
i would also assume that - since there's not many IMAX screens available - there would always be some film taking precendence, anyway.
Ah ok. I just heard from a friend that he watched either starwars TFA or TLJ on a dome and every character suddenly got scoliosis. I'll do some more research on what kind of screen this is.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Sigh, I was in high school when this show started. I wish I wasn't so young and naive. I COULDN'T WAIT for them to finally explain everything and wasn't expecting the diarrhea that was the 6th season.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ok, i don't KNOW it's true, but, do you think a Disney IP would allow its media to be projected distorted? With the sort of contracts they have?

i've read details of what it's like for a smaller cinema to try to show a Star Wars film and that gave me enough insight that i'm gonna guess that you are not allowed to show IMAX format films on a non-IMAX screen and vice versa.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I agree. I don't come to praise Lost, but I'm not here to bury it either.

I got my enjoyment out of it for years. But the pain of nearing the end of the finale and finally succumbing to the realization that nothing was going to be resolved is still palpable as well. I still remember panicking during the final commercial break when I saw there were only like 11 minutes to go in the entire series.
I remember how around like season 2 or 3 or 4 the writers were like 'NO THIS IS NOT PURGATORY THERE IS A LOGICAL EXPLANATION FOR IT' and then it basically ended up being exactly purgatory.

Reactions: Homerboy

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Basically the church scene was where they ended up after they all died (and reverted back to the age they were on the island) after all the crazy shit happened on the island and some stayed, some moved on, died etc etc

Not sure how important this was, other than to prove they were all connected to each other

and it would be interesting to see when they came up with that idea, and what the end game was when they first started. it could have been a purgatory idea

there's really no ending that would have been satisfying, but it's still a massively entertaining show and a hugely important one in the tv landscape

Reactions: KeithTalent

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Ah ok. I just heard from a friend that he watched either starwars TFA or TLJ on a dome and every character suddenly got scoliosis. I'll do some more research on what kind of screen this is.

I watched TFA on a dome and yes, that is exactly what happened outside the center 3rd of the screen. We said we'd never watch that kind of movie on a dome again. That was actually the first time I'd went to one, I had always assumed IMAX was just a much larger screen, not a dome. Sure it can do some cool 3D effects (saw those in the ads before the movie), but I'm not sure it is of much use for things not made specifically for it.

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
A Brief History of Time (Criterion, 1991) 8/10

Watched two nights ago, just started the book a few days before. It's biographical, basically a documentary. Has a lot of interviews and they are hit and miss. Some of them made me squirm, two of them were just fantastic, most in between. It took me a lot longer than the 84 minutes to get through it because I rewound, sometimes turning on subtitles to catch the thick accents you hear sometimes from the Brits.

The Return of the Pink Panther (1974)

One of the better Pink Panther movies, it had me laughing at times for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.