NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 652 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched the second episode of Terror, and again liked it. Not quite as much as the first (the plot slows down a bit) but still liked it. I sure do how this isn't another of those series where the development slows down to a crawl.

Reactions: clamum

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Spoiler alert!!

Just wasted two hours on "Annihilation." I dunno if the idea was five "strong" women doing what only men usually do (in movies), or mysterious contact with an alien force (snore...), but I sat through the whole thing waiting for something to happen. When it finally did, I almost laughed out loud. Not recommended.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I went back and started binge watching northern exposure. I'm sure everyone here already knows how great that show is...

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Took in Game Night for me and the missus semi-annual trip to the theater. I think it's going to depend on whether you like Jason Bateman or not. If you liked Horrible Bosses this will be great. If you hated Horrible Bosses...... well, I pity you.

Horrible Bosses fans - 9/10

For me it's if you appreciate the humor of Arrested Development you'll like Game Night

it is a fun film.... in the middle budget range that is rarely made these days.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i got myself a great big ol' load of titties, by watching
Lifeforce Director's Cut - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089489/alternateversions

i remembered this film as being much more of an action film pewpew let's shoot de aliens wit de gun. Hooper's cut adds mostly exposition and background, makes it look .. smarter. More investigative than actiony, kinda like Omega Strain. That's another 12 minutes of material, and the theatrical cut removes another 15 minutes, making it the pewpew film we all know and did-not-love.

I also like the quaint 1970s gear which is predominant in this film, despite it being from 1985.

6.5 maybe even 7/10

Mathilda May's tits *do* influence the vote

Last edited:

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Dr. Strange - 6/10

It's a paint by numbers super hero origins movie, nearly every trope is there. They try inserting a bit of current topical humor which falls flat but thankfully it is not overly used. Lots of obvious foreshadowing. Exposition is thrown at you like a ton of bricks but I guess it is needed since parts of the plot are still somewhat abstract. Saving grace is the visual effects which are very impressive, at times it turns into "Inception" on crack. The action is also pretty good. I could see the younger crowd really getting into this and while I liked the movie I just feel like the progression of the plot is something I have seen 1000 times over and they seem scared of going outside of the box a bit.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Spoiler alert!!

Just wasted two hours on "Annihilation." I dunno if the idea was five "strong" women doing what only men usually do (in movies), or mysterious contact with an alien force (snore...), but I sat through the whole thing waiting for something to happen. When it finally did, I almost laughed out loud. Not recommended.

I agree. I watched it because of Portman to be honest, she is one of my favs. Even if she is too skinny for me anymore. And her high waist pants sucked. Graphically it was ok, acting was decent, if not a little less. The plot was horrible, I really didn't understand what was going on. Then when I did, ugh. Wife also hated it. Makes me wonder at any point did they consider pulling the plug on this one, or if they thought it was actually a good movie.

The ending was terrible. Just absolute trash. Looks like it may be set up for a sequel, but I doubt they would bother making it. 3/10

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962) 10/10

Hadn't seen it in over ten years, this is my fourth viewing, IIRC. This still works today! Did some research today. Watched the documentary on the 2 disc DVD last night, it's ~1 hours, well worth it. Read Wikipedia treatment of Lawrence today. They held to facts nicely in the film. Portrayals and casting phenomenal. It's uncanny how much O'Toole resembled the real Lawrence. Other casting miracles here too (Anthony Quinn, Alec Guinness, Omar Sharif, etc.). They were lucky that the original choice of Brando as Lawrence didn't happen. Oddly, I don't believe there's a single female in this 3 hour 38 minute film!

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i had a weird experience with that film. i liked it very much when i was young, then read the book, and after that i did not .. well, it's not right to say that i didn't like the film, it's an absolutely magnificent film, but the book is even superior, and it kinda ruined the film for me. Dune doesn't do that for me. LOTR doesnt do that. It's just *this* one.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962) 10/10

Hadn't seen it in over ten years, this is my fourth viewing, IIRC. This still works today! Did some research today. Watched the documentary on the 2 disc DVD last night, it's ~1 hours, well worth it. Read Wikipedia treatment of Lawrence today. They held to facts nicely. Portrayals and casting phenomenal. It's uncanny how much O'Toole resembled the real Lawrence. Other casting miracles here too. They were lucky that the original choice of Brando as Lawrence didn't happen.

One of my all time favorite movies. It’s such a thing of beauty. Even though the real life Lawrence was an imperialist dick

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Binge watched the Fargo tv series over the last few weeks. I don't count myself as a huge fan of the Fargo movie (mostly because it's a blur at this point), but I mostly enjoyed the tv series.

I'll give Seasons 1 and 2 a solid 9.0/10 as thoroughly enjoyable, gripping, must-watch TV. Season 3 was 'good' in that it was entertaining but not gripping. Great cast, but there was something lacking in the story that is hard to place.

Reactions: Homerboy

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i had a weird experience with that film. i liked it very much when i was young, then read the book, and after that i did not .. well, it's not right to say that i didn't like the film, it's an absolutely magnificent film, but the book is even superior, and it kinda ruined the film for me. Dune doesn't do that for me. LOTR doesnt do that. It's just *this* one.
You are talking about what? Lawrence of Arabia? You shouldn't leave doubt when you post what you are referencing. People in this thread often do that, it's unfortunate.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One of my all time favorite movies. It’s such a thing of beauty. Even though the real life Lawrence was an imperialist dick
You're wrong there. Lawrence very much favored Arabian sovereignty, not the sub rosa pact between the English and the French when they conspired to drive out the Turks. Lawrence managed what for others would have been impossible -- he had the complete trust of his British superior and Prince Faisal simultaneously. He was a man of destiny.

Last edited:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Anyone do a prescreening of ready player one? I am super pumpppppped, but I missed the prescreening last week due to work. Is it as good as I hope it is?!

It was pretty neato, embedded videos, large file attachments, your good ol basics! I even had my design guy build a cool little logo.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
You are talking about what? Lawrence of Arabia? You shouldn't leave doubt when you post what you are referencing. People in this thread often do that, it's unfortunate.

my post was just below yours. back in the old day, that was called "replying".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
my post was just below yours. back in the old day, that was called "replying".
OK, had to check, partly because I was wondering what book you could possibly be talking about. I'm unaware of "Lawrence of Arabia" being a book. Well, there's mention referencing Lawrence's considerable reputation, which eventually lead to a movie developing. I saw that in the ~1 hour documentary that's on disc 2 of my DVD set. They said that there were a great many attempts to create a movie but none had found the necessary traction until David Lean's venture, and even for him, it was a great project, years in the making IIRC.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'm unaware of "Lawrence of Arabia" being a book.

LoA is a simplification of a rather huge book, The Seven Pillars Of Wisdom, which is (allegedly) the true accounts of T.E. Lawrence's actions during the Arab Revolt. I would recommend to everyone to read this, it is one of the great works of modern literature, and, it will give you an insight even on modern politics.

I think that the film managed rather well to compress all that book into one just-over-three-hours film, and while O'Toole is great in trying to show visually Lawrence's inner monologue, it just leaves out so many observations about the arab life and the movement which are still valid today. Lawrence's description of "hunger" will never leave me, and his description of arabs drinking coffee has changed the way i drink *my* coffee. It's a masterpiece, i recommend you read it as soon as you can.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
Thank you. I had once started reading The Seven Pillars if Wisdom and then got occupied by something else and didn’t get back to it. I will read it now.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Straw Dogs 2011 - 6.5/10

Another gut wrenching thriller that was very difficult to watch at times as two diverse cultures come together in explosive fashion.

I need to see the original by the great Director, Sam Peckinpah.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Dr Strangelove. 10/10 damn such a great movie showing the workings of a B52 flight crew on a Chrome Dome mission. James Earl Jones. Slim Pickings, George C. Scott.

Reactions: Carson Dyle

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Downsizing;

8/10 great movie concept about shrinking people to try to stop global overpopulation and global warming. at first the idea seems great but then after they shrink thousands of people the problems with the concept become clear. you will always have to have full size people to take care of the small people. then the ideas of voting was tossed in there because the little people were making the regular people pay more in taxes and really did not contribute in anyway to society. and the little people lands... who built them? like the houses, they had to have all the parts to make a house livable like power and plumbing. who made the tiny parts to make a showerhead work, or a sinc faucet to work. or the tiny parts to make a refrigerator work. anyway i found it a interesting social experiment movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.