NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 650 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Coco is a cartoon about murder, lies, and revenge. Without giving too much away it shows children you can live a great life for many many years after doing lots of bad things. Perfect for children.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I saw a Jason Statham movie at a hotel Saturday night, enjoyed it, and decided to check out a couple more of his films that for whatever reason I missed.

The Mechanic, 5/10. Kind of a standard "gonna get revenge" action movie, Jason Statham being...well... very Statham"esque". It was enjoyable but my main reason for not really liking it is I felt they had to shoehorn the whole Statham training the guy he killed's (Harry) son (Ben), it seemed out of place. While the actor who played Ben was fine and the character did not come off annoying or anything I just felt like he was simply a speed bump in the movie and was more of a liability to Statham than help. He simply was not needed, they could have just made him a complete afterthought or totally replaced him with some more Statham contract killing scenes and been fine.

Thankfully it looks like they realized this well into the making of the movie and, let's just say it ended appropriately. There is also some blatant obvious foreshadowing that is impossible to miss but... whatever.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I saw a Jason Statham movie at a hotel Saturday night, enjoyed it, and decided to check out a couple more of his films that for whatever reason I missed.

The Mechanic, 5/10. Kind of a standard "gonna get revenge" action movie, Jason Statham being...well... very Statham"esque". It was enjoyable but my main reason for not really liking it is I felt they had to shoehorn the whole Statham training the guy he killed's (Harry) son (Ben), it seemed out of place. While the actor who played Ben was fine and the character did not come off annoying or anything I just felt like he was simply a speed bump in the movie and was more of a liability to Statham than help. He simply was not needed, they could have just made him a complete afterthought or totally replaced him with some more Statham contract killing scenes and been fine.

Thankfully it looks like they realized this well into the making of the movie and, let's just say it ended appropriately. There is also some blatant obvious foreshadowing that is impossible to miss but... whatever.

I have TWO words for you:

Snatch

Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

well, whatever.

Reactions: Homerboy

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Took in Game Night for me and the missus semi-annual trip to the theater. I think it's going to depend on whether you like Jason Bateman or not. If you liked Horrible Bosses this will be great. If you hated Horrible Bosses...... well, I pity you.

Horrible Bosses fans - 9/10

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Wasn't recently but a fun one I watched a while back was a Korean film named "Hello Ghost." Very cute and worth watching, I'd say 7 or 8 / 10 stars.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1848926/plotsummary?ref_=tt_stry_pl

Synopsis:
After several failed suicide attempts, Sang-Man (Tae-hyun Cha) wakes up at the hospital with the ability to see and hear four ghosts: a chain-smoking taxi driver (Chang-Seok Ko); a woman who sobs constantly (Young-nam Jang); a perverted old man (Moon-su Lee); and an elementary school boy (Bo-geun Cheon). Sang-Man wonders why the ghosts keep following him around, and after consulting with a fortune teller, agrees to help the ghosts find closure with their deaths if they agree to leave him alone. Sang-Man allows each ghost to occupy his body, allowing them to interact with the living world. Sang-Man helps the ghosts fulfill their last wishes, and in doing so, ends up helping himself find a reason to live.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Jumanji (2017) - 7/10

The original was a classic. This one is a popcorn flick. If you know that going in & can just enjoy it for what it is, it's actually a pretty fun movie. I'm not a huge fan of Jack Black, but he was hilarious in this. The CGI was over the top, but again, if you are just enjoying it as a one-time-watch popcorn movie, then you can have some fun with it.

I kind of wish that they had done it justice per the original, which was a lot of fun. The first one had a lot of heart. In the sequel, they had an all-star cast and a $100 million dollar budget, and they did quite well (almost a billion dollars globally now, not to mention this was the Rock's biggest domestic box office hit ever), but whereas I re-watch Jumanji every couple of years, I'll probably never re-watch Welcome to the Jungle again. But if you want a fun show, it's a lot of fun for a one-time watch!

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
The Shape of Water - 5.5. Huge WTF.

Downsizing - 6.0. Started off good but went off the deep end midway. More holes than swiss cheese too.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The Disaster Artist - 8/10. It was hilarious for the first 20 or so minutes, but then I started to feel pretty bad for Tommy and I couldn't stop feeling bad for him. Incredibly entertaining, though it was like watching a train wreck. Are we supposed to laugh at Tommy, with him, or is he laughing at all of us?

The Thing - 10/10. This is in my top 5 movies of all time, and a great movie to watch when you're snowed in. :p The acting, score, effects, pacing, story, etc. are just perfect.

Reactions: ImpulsE69

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
The Disaster Artist - 8/10. It was hilarious for the first 20 or so minutes, but then I started to feel pretty bad for Tommy and I couldn't stop feeling bad for him. Incredibly entertaining, though it was like watching a train wreck. Are we supposed to laugh at Tommy, with him, or is he laughing at all of us?

I wondered how he felt about this movie. Obviously he had to be okay with them portraying him, but it makes him look so stupid and pathetic. Anything for money I guess.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I wondered how he felt about this movie. Obviously he had to be okay with them portraying him, but it makes him look so stupid and pathetic. Anything for money I guess.

Yeah. Sure, he's pretty freaking weird, but except for treating the actors like shit, he didn't seem like a bad person - just weird and perhaps misguided. Though I guess if you're that filthy rich, you can sort of give yourself a free pass to do whatever the hell you want.

Feb 25, 2011
Coco is a cartoon about murder, lies, and revenge. Without giving too much away it shows children you can live a great life for many many years after doing lots of bad things. Perfect for children.
The thing about the "mechanics" of the afterlife in Coco that I didn't like was that, once all the people living had forgotten you, you'd disappear from the land of the dead.

Which means there's presumably an endless line of newly dead lonely old people at the gates who missed being reunited with their beloved relatives by, like, a fraction of a second.

Don't have kids? Die and go directly to hell. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The original Death Wish. 10/10

I wish I was around that time. The 70s were cool. Tuff guys Cheap food. Disco. Led Zeppelin.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The Wall 8/10 Fun

Original the named turned me off, put white man on a chinese wall and make a movie ugh. but with the story making some sense after watching it again and I realized how this good this movie is.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The thing about the "mechanics" of the afterlife in Coco that I didn't like was that, once all the people living had forgotten you, you'd disappear from the land of the dead.

Which means there's presumably an endless line of newly dead lonely old people at the gates who missed being reunited with their beloved relatives by, like, a fraction of a second.

Don't have kids? Die and go directly to hell. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Its a rip off of that other undead mexican movie a form a couple years ago.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Rented Thor Ragnarok and it put the Thor series back on track after the last one. Entertaining stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.