NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 649 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Netflix and Amazon are making so much stuff that nobody can possibly keep up with it. I haven't even watched the Top Ge ... ermm.. The Grand Tour shows.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I watched The Maze Runner and its sequel a few days ago.

I know it's meant for teenage boys but I really enjoyed the first one. It kept me guessing about where it was going. I appreciate that. I like the lead actor; he has a nice brooding intensity. Interesting guy. I wonder what he'll do as he ages.

The second one suffers from "What do we do now?" syndrome. It's kind of all over the place but in spite of that I thought it was ok. Worth watching if you enjoyed the first one.

I need to get back to my RE movies.

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i tried googling this but for some reason, it doesn't exist on the web, nobody thought it was worth saving or uploading it.

During one episode of Married With Children, instead of the usual theme tune (Love And Marriage), they had a rework of The Addams Family theme tune.

And the verse went "the father is a peon - the mother's hair is neon - they really are a (something) - the Bundy family *snap snap*"

just thinking out loud here. I've been eyeing the Married With Children box set, and frankly, the only thing which is stopping me from buying it is that i don't own a DVD player of any sort.

it's cheap (50 bucks) https://www.amazon.co.uk/MARRIED-CHILDREN-Complete-collection-1-11/dp/B00BLQDPEK

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I watched The Maze Runner and its sequel a few days ago.

I know it's meant for teenage boys but I really enjoyed the first one. It kept me guessing about where it was going. I appreciate that. I like the lead actor; he has a nice brooding intensity. Interesting guy. I wonder what he'll do as he ages.

The second one suffers from "What do we do now?" syndrome. It's kind of all over the place but in spite of that I thought it was ok. Worth watching if you enjoyed the first one.

I need to get back to my RE movies.

Agreed, I really enjoyed the first one (and had no idea what it was when I watched it). I anxiously awaited the second one and wow it was bad. I will watch the third though, because...

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Has material that worked in a tightly constrained environment ever improved when it went "open world"? Not rhetorical, I'm seriously asking.

I'm reminded of the first two seasons of Prison Break. The first season, mostly confined to the prison, was fantastic. The second season had so many characters, so many subplots, so many twists, so many locations that it was tiring to stay invested in it. They could have lopped off half of the arcs and been better for it. I binged most if it; its hard for me to imagine watching it spoonful by spoonful. The marginalization of Michael's abilities was a bad decision. They turned him into a sobbing, self-pitying wimp.

Season 2 of Prison Break may be one of the most ambitious seasons of TV ever attempted but that doesn't make it one of the most successful.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I watched Return To Oz for the first time in 30 years.
Fairuza Balk was as creepy as ever.
I had also forgotten how incredibly dark that film was. Disney likes to brain fuck you every once in a while.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Has material that worked in a tightly constrained environment ever improved when it went "open world"? Not rhetorical, I'm seriously asking.

I'm reminded of the first two seasons of Prison Break. The first season, mostly confined to the prison, was fantastic. The second season had so many characters, so many subplots, so many twists, so many locations that it was tiring to stay invested in it. They could have lopped off half of the arcs and been better for it. I binged most if it; its hard for me to imagine watching it spoonful by spoonful. The marginalization of Michael's abilities was a bad decision. They turned him into a sobbing, self-pitying wimp.

Season 2 of Prison Break may be one of the most ambitious seasons of TV ever attempted but that doesn't make it one of the most successful.
I bailed out by the end of S2 but Michael was definitely a Mary Sue in S1. Could barely stand listening to the writers suck up to their fictional character. Would’ve been much better and more believable (less eye-roll-ey) if they weren’t exclusively his abilities.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I thought season 3 was a little better, since it returned to a prison environment.

But oh boy, you better check your expectations of reality at the door before you watch it. lol

Suspend all disbelief.

May 11, 2008
7/10 Ghostbusters(2016)

I enjoyed the movie but i found the character Kevin played by Chris Hemsworth not fitting and very out of place in the movie.
That is why i gave it a 7.
I had to laugh very hard when Erin responded after hearing the monthly rent for the firedepartment building. :D
There were enough funny moments. :D
Cameo appearances from Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson but unfortunately not Harold Ramis who passed away in 2014 before this movie was filmed and presented.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so, it's finally upon us, the time when ghostbusters is rehabilitated. next year, Hitler.

i actually thought chris hemsworth's vapid dumb blonde australian surfer-dude to be the best thing in the film.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched The Last Jedi

and to explain why this is bad would take too long.

But what upset me the most .. or rather, i should say that i found this film far more pleasant than the prequels, which are an aberration and the worst films ever made in the history of cinema.
So, what upset me, is that at times they might have something worth watching. I thought that - during Snoke's death - the idea that instead of having a Dark Side and Light Side, the force exists as a Ying-Yang state of duality.
This is unfortunately a theme in the new Star Wars films, the story (due to having some great material to draw inspiration from) at time takes a good turn, and then the script goes "and then he does THIS" and immediately goes back to being shit again.
I thought that the "vision" scene where Rey and Kylo communicate via the force was REALLY cool, but then again Luke's "sacrifice" through his force projection just seems to be a "well nothing happened today" thing, as if the story is afraid of going anywhere. More than films, this is starting to look more and more like a TV show. What did happen in the film, really? Rey completes her training .. kinda.

Not horrible, but i wouldn't recommend this. The Las.. ermm what was the first called? The Force Awakens was better, if we edit out ALL the Han and all the Leia scenes.

6/10

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
American Made (2017): 8/10

Stars Tom Cruise as a TWA pilot in the 1970s who flew missions for the CIA, and became a drug smuggler for the Medellín Cartel in the 1980s.
Based on a true story. :eek:

I think this is Tom Cruise's best non-action hero performance (ie: Mission Impossible series) since jumping on Oprah's coach.

May 11, 2008
so, it's finally upon us, the time when ghostbusters is rehabilitated. next year, Hitler.

i actually thought chris hemsworth's vapid dumb blonde australian surfer-dude to be the best thing in the film.

Chris Hemsworth was not funny at all. He just is not really funny. It is like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone making comedy movies. It just does not work.
And i fail to see the link between Ghostbusters 2016 and Hitler.
Hitler was a drug fueled (Morell) crazy person.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
The Tick (2017/2018): 8/10, 5/10

amazon released the tick season 1 in 2 parts.
1st 6 eps (2017) were great.

2nd 6eps (2018) dragged on. :(
they went around in circles about the Big Bismuth and how it affected Superion.
took like 3 eps till they finally explained it.

the big hype about the moth costume being the center of the Terror's plans was disappointing.
the costume wasnt needed.
you could have done the same thing with a cheap helicopter drone. :(

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I was lazy this weekend and watched more movies than usual. I've seen all of these before except for Blazing Saddles.

Fright Night (the original 80s one) - 7/10. Excellent practical effects, but I felt like yelling at the characters since they did such stupid shit most of the time. Great soundtrack, though.

Beetlejuice - 9/10. They really don't make fun, creative, original movies like this anymore. Suitable for young kids (it's PG, but Beetlejuice drops an F-bomb, among other things) and adults can still enjoy it.

Blazing Saddles - 8/10. I didn't think it was as hilarious as people say it is, but there were some great moments. I think I'd have to have had watched it earlier to truly appreciate it.

Goldeneye - 7.5/10. Exactly like the videogame. :D

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I think Blazing Saddles is best watched with a group of BS fans who mimic the memorable lines and act out the scenes. With a martini in hand.

It's like a Rocky Horror Picture Show type experience. Personally, I love it.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Coco - 9.5/10 - I knew it would be a good movie, but it was even better than I expected. Excellent story.
from the name, I would have never known it was Pixar.
heck, I wouldn't even know that it was a cartoon.

i'll watch it because it's Pixar.
no clue what a coco is, but i'll probably get it while watching the movie?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
from the name, I would have never known it was Pixar.
heck, I wouldn't even know that it was a cartoon.

i'll watch it because it's Pixar.
no clue what a coco is, but i'll probably get it while watching the movie?

Pixar's version of Grim Fandango, except a little kid who's still alive. Or so I gather without having seen it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.