NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 640 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Altered Carbon - 7/10

Sub-par acting but ultimately very enjoyable. A lot of interesting themes and visually stunning from start to finish.

With a different lead actor this could easily be a 9/10.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Money Monster was entertaining but was pretty damn stupid.
i grant it was a bit overly-simple ... aaaand predictable ... but it was well made .. well acted. At least on Clooney's part. The story mostly makes sense, with the walk-through-the-street bit being hard to believe, everything else was pretty solid. Just, not *exceptional*.

Last edited:

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Britannia 7/10
Amazon original. Historical fiction about the Romans vs Celts in 43AD. It shook me for a loop when mysticism/magic are real in the shows historical fiction setting but I got use to it, they aren't casting fireball or magic missles but things like prophecies and mind control happen.

Reactions: Thebobo
Sep 29, 2004
Where are the black panther reviews? Dedicated thread? I keep coming back here to get good feedback. I plan on seeing it later this week.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Cloverfield Paradox - 7.5/10

It's science fantasy more than real hard SF, a mix of Gravity and Event Horizon that was entertaining to me. There are many "unrealistic" events (the fantasy consequences of the event) but only one glaring plot hole
the alternate universe woman had no way to know about the 3D-printed gun that was in a safe. It didn't exist until after the event, it was not in their semi-shared past

Some of the negative reviews claim the connection to Cloverfield was tacked on at the end, but if you're paying attention there are a few references throughout (the "crazy" book author, the events around the husband). The nods were apparently too subtle for some viewers.

Reactions: Thebobo

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Bridge of Spies -- 8/10: Caught this on the tube last night. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. It's quite well done. If Tom Hanks didn't exist, it'd be necessary to invent him. He effortlessly exudes what I would call, "middle-aged, Dad bod, American gravitas." My hat is sincerely off to him. Gravitas is something the Brits have a general corner on, not us.

Which reminds me, over the weekend my buddy and I saw both 2018 Oscar Nominated Short Films: Live Action -- 8/10 and then 2018 Oscar Nominated Short Films: Animated -- 8/10 at the local "Repertory Art House" theater. In between, we repaired to a local brew house for burgers and beer, because we're two wild and crazy guys, and that's the way we roll! Hey! It filled an afternoon and evening and took our minds off of the fact that we're old and might soon die. ;)

Oscar nominated shorts are reliably excellent. Hard to go wrong with 'em, says I. There's a well-presented effort to support these efforts, called shorts.tv. If you have the right cable provider, you may even find them on the tube, but you can also download many entries on the web, just not legally for free.

Reactions: DaveSimmons

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Black Panther. Solid 9/10. Reminded me of the Lion King, but for grown-ups. That's not meant to be a knock against the film or the originality (though they definitely share some thematic elements)--I think I just felt the same way after watching this movie as I did after seeing the Lion King as a kid.

JeepinEd

Dec 12, 2005
My wife and I saw Black Panther. We both gave it a 7/10. I think it's a little over hyped, but it was a good movie.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Britannia 7/10
Amazon original. Historical fiction about the Romans vs Celts in 43AD. It shook me for a loop when mysticism/magic are real in the shows historical fiction setting but I got use to it, they aren't casting fireball or magic missles but things like prophecies and mind control happen.

Yea up to the 4th episode and it's pretty good.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Cloverfield Paradox - 7.5/10

It's science fantasy more than real hard SF, a mix of Gravity and Event Horizon that was entertaining to me. There are many "unrealistic" events (the fantasy consequences of the event) but only one glaring plot hole
the alternate universe woman had no way to know about the 3D-printed gun that was in a safe. It didn't exist until after the event, it was not in their semi-shared past

Some of the negative reviews claim the connection to Cloverfield was tacked on at the end, but if you're paying attention there are a few references throughout (the "crazy" book author, the events around the husband). The nods were apparently too subtle for some viewers.

Yea you saw indications but until the ending..

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
between Bridge Of Spies and Page 8, which one would you go for ?
This is the first that I even aware of Page8, so I can't say. Looks interesting from what I read in imdb, though.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Thinking man's spy film, and one of the best i have seen in many years. Methix you're gonna love it.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Thinking man's spy film, and one of the best i have seen in many years. Methix you're gonna love it.

Thinking man's spy film? I dunno...I saw "Tinker, Tailor..." and I decided that genre isn't for me. "Spy Game" is enough thinking for me.

Skunk-Works

Jun 29, 2016
Signs. It stars Mel Gibson. Last time I seen the movie was way back in circa 2003. Just saw it again last night. I think it was on AMC. Seeing it again I give it a 6/10. Alright movie, plot kinda sucks and the message. Creepy though.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Signs. It stars Mel Gibson. Lats time I seen the movie was way back in circa 2003. Just saw it again last night. I think it was on AMC. Seeing it again I give it a 6/10. Alright movie, plot kinda sucks and the message. Creepy though.

I cursed.

I heard.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Signs. It stars Mel Gibson. Last time I seen the movie was way back in circa 2003. Just saw it again last night. I think it was on AMC. Seeing it again I give it a 6/10. Alright movie, plot kinda sucks and the message. Creepy though.

I actually really liked Signs, but I do think a number of things could have been better-executed. It was a good movie that could have been a great movie.

I didn't like the ending at all - the dumb way they killed the aliens with the baseball bat & the water. The idea that water killed them was cool, kind of in a War of the Worlds kind of way about how our earth bacteria kills them, but the execution was so poor in terms of storytelling that it kind of ruined the movie for me because it's such strange ending after all that build-up. After re-watching it, however, I realized that wasn't the point - the movie really centered around the stuff the mom said as she was dying (as she kind of had a glimpse into the future and gave him some parting words to be used later, i.e. tell Merrill to swing away) & more broadly, the dad's trial of his faith from losing his wife in a freak accident; the point wasn't that ending with the baseball bat, it was about . The rest of the movie had such a fun creepy vibe that I really wanted them to dive more into that, because they kept kissing the edge of being a really, really great thriller with the way they handled things like well, not doing anything, and the silence - it created such great tension at times that made you do a little gasp & hold your breath. They do such a good job of creating anxiety in the movie by mentioning but not really exploring stuff like the crop circle & weird noises and whatnot; I was really hoping for it to have a solid finish to kind of wrap up that feeling & it just...didn't. The whole baseball & glass of water thing was kind of a jolt at the end, haha. Although seeing it a second time was like watching the first Mission Impossible a second time, you kind of start to understand the story better & how it wasn't "just" an alien movie, the aliens were just a cover for a man going through a period of questioning & losing his beliefs & finding somewhat supernatural coincidences to help loop him back into it. Fun movie overall tho, I liked it!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
it's been a while since I've seen it but I was always a sucker for signs. I even liked the village

I liked the Village because I was late seeing it & was warned about it in advance (it was advertised as a scary movie & it was not, so I went in with the right mindset & wasn't let down that it wasn't a horror movie).

Status
Not open for further replies.