NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 620 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
just a heads up. 47 metres down. Yeah its a clear up Harvey Weinstein film...its damw worth watching this film. Very uncomfortable to watch.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I dislike anime as a general rule.
I dislike most "kids" movies.

Watched Howl's Moving castle as I had picked up a bluray of it for the woman a while ago when a bunch of stuff from that studio was on sale.
It was very good..
Every frame was a painting.
Lots of attention to detail.
So, for the art, and the technical anumation aspects, they more or less were perfect.

The story and voice acting were very good too.

Overall very solid film, big surprise to me. I give it a solid 8/10, maybe even close to a 9.

There is only one other Japanese animation which I really enjoyed to this level, and that was Grave of the Fireflies.

Reactions: Thebobo

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I dislike anime as a general rule.
I dislike most "kids" movies.

Watched Howl's Moving castle as I had picked up a bluray of it for the woman a while ago when a bunch of stuff from that studio was on sale.
It was very good..
Every frame was a painting.
Lots of attention to detail.
So, for the art, and the technical anumation aspects, they more or less were perfect.

The story and voice acting were very good too.

Overall very solid film, big surprise to me. I give it a solid 8/10, maybe even close to a 9.

There is only one other Japanese animation which I really enjoyed to this level, and that was Grave of the Fireflies.

Yeap GREAT movie.
Most studio ghibli stuff is incredible.

If you want crazy "art" and technical animation, watch Kubo and the Two Strings. Then watching some Making Of videos on Youtube. Mind blowing.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
121. Downfall

did not watch this, if we exclude the multiple times i have watched the meme scene where Hitler complains about his XBox getting banned. aaand every other funny one ever made.

no vote

122. Die Hard

i mean, how can you vote this epic film any less than 8/10
and also how can you vote it higher, but that's beside the point.
Epic characters that will remain with us for .. a long time. Hans Gruber (didn't have to google that name) is awesome and the perfect villain to Willis' perfect hero. The film is rather limited in scope and the script is quite basic, but otherwise it's done really well, despite filling in the various plot points with stupid terrorists getting killed in stupid ways.

8/10

123. Raging Bull

another great classic which has no appeal to me, at all. I did like quite a lot Deer Hunter, and i liked the at-home scenes more than the in-captivity scenes, but have never had a chance to watch the film, or rather, whenever i had a chance, the idea of a film about a boxer didn't appeal to me.
YES I DID SEE ROCKY OK?

no vote

124. Heat

did not watch it, or did watch it but cannot remember the story; however, i do not expect to liek it, because i don't like this "badass" monodimensional character DeNiro has used for easy cash in this time period.
Still, i'll give it a chance.

no vote

125. Children Of Heaven

iranian film, did not watch.

126. The Third Man

previously covered; i watched it with attention and was bored beyond what mere words can describe.

tentative vote of 6.5/10

127. The Great Escape

ok, i know you are gonna hate me, but i have never seen this film. shame on me. shame. i promise to put it in my to-watch list.

404: vote not found

128. Ikiru

i'll probably watch this tonight. somehow, i didn't even know this film existed.

129. Chinatown

i cannot vote this film, i am biased as this film was one of the favourites of both my mother and my father (they had very little in common otherwise).
As i understand it, jack nicholson made his career off the back of his performance here. so it's got to be good, but i haven't watched this film since i was a kid, and back then i was more into robots going swoooooosh than proper acting.

i mean, i already did love Casablanca, but Bogart is in another class.

no vote

130. Pan's Labyrinth

only had a horribad pirated copy and never had a chance to watch it properly.

i honestly thought i had watched many more than i actually did. didn't expect so many "no vote".

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yeap GREAT movie.
Most studio ghibli stuff is incredible.

If you want crazy "art" and technical animation, watch Kubo and the Two Strings. Then watching some Making Of videos on Youtube. Mind blowing.
Aye, "Kubo and the Two Strings" is one she wants to watch with me.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
just watched the Secret Life of Comics about the two creators of Superman. holy balls did they ever fuck themselves. great info and nice seeing Neil Adams on the show. i like talking to him at denvers comic con.

Sep 29, 2004
Dig dug,

Toy story was the first all 3d movie and shockingly the story didn't suck. It was actually a pretty good story keeping in mind that it's a kids movie.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2004
just watched the Secret Life of Comics about the two creators of Superman. holy balls did they ever fuck themselves. great info and nice seeing Neil Adams on the show. i like talking to him at denvers comic con.
Friend that passed owns a comic book store. Stan Lee is overrated. He didn't do shit.

Sep 29, 2004
Obscure (foreign with english dubbing ok) date night movie wanted.

Requirements.... Emotional attachment to characters and strong love interest.

Bonus points for action/sci fi.

No blood!

This is a big date guys..... Need sound ideas! Sadly movies like Byzantium that fit the mold I've already seen. Granted I would watch that one again.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Obscure (foreign with english dubbing ok) date night movie wanted.

Requirements.... Emotional attachment to characters and strong love interest.

Bonus points for action/sci fi.

No blood!

This is a big date guys..... Need sound ideas! Sadly movies like Byzantium that fit the mold I've already seen. Granted I would watch that one again.

That's a tall order...but maybe...

Russian space sci fi flick called Cargo. (not the cute zombie short or the other Russian mob movie). I can't remember if there is a love interest or not...it's more of a mystery movie with great visuals and an interesting story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/

This says it is Swiss..but I could have swore it was Russian.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Cargo isn't appropriate to the bow-chika-chika-bow-WOW situation Job has in mind; he wants something more Netflicks N Chill.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
well that's what I thought..but...his request is a bit...odd for date night and it checks off most if not all his boxes.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I guess I'm shooting for a date night movie. I'm going to give some ideas for movies and we'll go from there.
Jean Pierre Jeunet's got you covered ...
I'm guessing you've likely already seen Amelie, as that is one of the best movies ever and almost everybody I know has seen it.
"Delicatessen" is a post apocalyptic surreal film with a strong love interest.
"A Very Long Engagement?" Is a WWI era film with a strong love interest.
"Micmacs" is a highly entertaining sort of adventure/revenge with a unique love interest.

Jon Pierre is your man.

Reactions: IHateMyJob2004
Sep 29, 2004
For date night, I gave three options and my date got it down to two:
1) The Wrestler
2) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I think we both want a good movie and it doesn't need to be a romantic comedy. Neither of us have seen either of these. I also suggested What's Eating Gilbert Grape but I don't think she is interested.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
For date night, I gave three options and my date got it down to two:
1) The Wrestler
2) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I think we both want a good movie and it doesn't need to be a romantic comedy. Neither of us have seen either of these. I also suggested What's Eating Gilbert Grape but I don't think she is interested.

Both are fine films, though I'd say the Wrestler was the better film by a pretty significant margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.