NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 618 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Re: Eternal Sunshine being a great film: 4. i wouldn't know. i tried twice to watch it and seeing Ace Ventura being incapable of playing anything but his one weird-faced character makes it impossible for me to see the whole film.
I never watched Ace Ventura Pet Detective. I saw Carry in Dumb and Dumber, maybe something else. I allowed him to be the shy guy in Eternal Sunshine. It worked well enough for me.
- -
Yeah, Lawrence of Arabia being ranked way below Shawshank Redemption is ridiculous. I didn't like the latter movie at all, it really rubbed me the wrong way.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
ok,

Blade Of The Immortal - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5084170/reference

eh, i thought it started out good. the characters were interesting, the acting was pretty good. i also liked the sensible mix of modern and traditional style in the combat and costumes.
Then, it kinda went sideways, the way many japanese modern productions do. It completely lost the pacing, characters started acting idiotically and spouting nonsense, and frankly hearing the same guy grunt for two hours get to be a bit too much.
It also had a lot of little things that made me smile, and i can see they put a shitload of work into this film. What i take away with this film is that japanese filmmakes rely need to hire a white guy to explain to them when they are going overboard with the japanness.

It's chambara, the genre is as Japanese as it gets.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
that it is, but you also get teenagers with blue spiky hair. think "seven samurai" in one corner, and "bleach" in the other.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
latest episode of Lucifer was pretty kewl.
:D

I generally don't care for the modernization.
neither do i. i can't stand modern japanese media, i think modern anime is an aberration, what i mean is that i'm glad they didn't go in that direction, and if they did, they kept it to the bare minimum.

it's fun so i will list here a few things i hate.
1. i'm too cool to speak or have emotions and i barely move trope.
2. i'm too powerful, i ignore your attacks and when i attack i do the bare minimum trope.
3. we are an extremely diverse group, there is a tall lean guy, a handsome medium guy, a skinny little kid, a tall fat boy, and a woman.
4. my sword is HUGE despite it being physically impossible to be used as a weapon.
5. i use an implement which is not a real weapon as a weapon.
6. me and my enemy will stop and have a lengthy discussion in the middle of a fight.
7. anything kawaii
8. this robot can only be piloted by a unique teenager who is the son of the main scientist in this base. also everyone else important in the series is closely related.
9. this effect we use/are fighting against derives directly from [scientific reason that makes no sense whatsoever]
and so on. basically, i can't watch any anime made after the 80s.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Brigsby Bear - You're either going to rate it a 0/10 or a 9+/10

Personally? I loved it. But I know the majority of people are just going to hate it beyond belief.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
IMDB making some minor changes in December:

[link no work] Its the character pages.

Just so you know. But this thread will probably be the same.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have just discovered

Absolute Power (TV) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386149/reference

a 2003 TV series from the BBC, starring our very won Stephen Fry.

Comedy similar in style to the (superior) The Thick Of It, here Fry is the head of a PR company, "lying for a living". The episodes rotate around them trying to spin some horrific PR disaster or the other. The main appeal is the dialogue (excellent and superbly delivered by Fry, as always) and the quasi-absurd stories; fabricating a sex scandal to raise the profile of a client, spinning Nazism into discipline, and obviously the money-chasing associated with each case. Everyone involve is a horrible person, so if you are into Rick&Morty, this should be right up your street.

7.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i can sit down and watch seven samurai, the whole three hours, without any problem. no matter how many times i have watched it.

1. it looks real; this is a major point in filmmaking, i need to believe that what i see is the real thing and not fake
2. the story makes sense and flows flawlessly from one cause to another.
3. the characters are gripping. not just Toshiro Mifune, but the surly Kyuzo, the idealistic Katsushiro, down to the *quite evil* village leader, and they never look like they were made diverse on purpose, but rather they look like a bunch of samurai who were assembled randomly.
4. the filmography is amazing 60 years on.
5. there are some genuinely shocking moments in the film; the suicide of shame of the woman abducted by the bandits. the death of Kyuzo, who we think is invincible, but instead of dying a hero, he just becomes a casualty. The speech of the village leader.

the only so-so bit in the whole film is Kyuzo's duel; his opponent is a caricature, but it doesn't affect the film negatively.

i vastly prefer this film to Rashomon. Rashomon is an art film, 7 Samurai is .. a war film. A film about realism, life, and death. The message is real and can apply to everyone who watches it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Huh. I'll have to check out the original Seven Samurai some day soon. Isn't there a modern film from several years ago that is basically a retelling of that story? I even forget who stars in it (I'm thinking Keanu for some reason). I'm pretty sure I saw that but definitely not the original.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Huh. I'll have to check out the original Seven Samurai some day soon. Isn't there a modern film from several years ago that is basically a retelling of that story? I even forget who stars in it (I'm thinking Keanu for some reason). I'm pretty sure I saw that but definitely not the original.

You are thinking of the horribad American 47 Ronin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/47_Ronin_(2013_film)

Reactions: DigDog

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Seal Team (CBS): 8/10.

Obviously similar to The Unit, also once on the same network. Surprisingly I find this show to be better written with better dialogue and action scenes. Good character development.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
if anyone knows stuff about Android, i need some serious help here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/android-i-need-help.2527522/

i was very disappointed by 47 Ronin. my reasons:

the real story of the historical 47 ronin is absolutely amazing; there is a conflict between two feudal lords, and one of the two manages to troll the second, causing him to disgrace himself in front of the emperor, and therefore "forced" to commit suicide.

this massively pisses off the 47 samurai who were serving him, who decide on revenge.

Now, revenge, in the way that was planned and then happened, is something that would be UNTHINKABLE for samurai of that period.

To make their plan work, they had to humiliate themselves, to throw off any impression that they were plotting revenge .. keep in mind, these are people who had a legal right to murder anyone they wanted, and that would easily disembowel themselves if they felt someone had done them wrong.

And not only was their honor their very life, but they humiliated themselves knowing that even if they succeeded they would afterwards have to commit suicide.

What the 47 did was an incredible feat of force of will. They were bound by a code of honor, and the internal struggle is what makes this story almost incredible.

instead, the keanu reeves film is a Wuxia film .. it's a fantasy film about swordfights. a martial arts film.
it contains nothing of what made the historical ronins so important. The monument to their sacrifice is a point of pilgrimage for many in Japan, and they are a major cultural figure, with many people knowing the names of all 47.

so .. yeah.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
That would be The Magnificent Seven.
The Tarantino film? I haven't seen it but maybe it's what I'm thinking of. I dunno, whatevs.

Seal Team (CBS): 8/10.

Obviously similar to The Unit, also once on the same network. Surprisingly I find this show to be better written with better dialogue and action scenes. Good character development.
Really? I watch Seal Team and think it's ok but I think The Unit is wayyyy better. I think The Unit had better writing and dialogue, especially the latter (Mamet ftw). LOL, goes to show how subjective shows/films are.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The Tarantino film? I haven't seen it but maybe it's what I'm thinking of. I dunno, whatevs.

Really? I watch Seal Team and think it's ok but I think The Unit is wayyyy better. I think The Unit had better writing and dialogue, especially the latter (Mamet ftw). LOL, goes to show how subjective shows/films are.

Antoine Fuqua was the director of the recent remake.

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Battlebots - no rating

New season (two episodes so far). I love the bots, love the battles, the rest of the show is pure garbage. Don't bother watching it unless you can record it and FFWD through 90% of the worthless crap.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Caddyshack - 8.5/10
I'm slowly catching up on old movies that everyone expects I've seen. I enjoyed it for what it was. The world needs ditch diggers too - truer words have never been uttered.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

I felt The Unit was a lot dryer and business-like - which I'm sure is how it is for real, but this is supposed to be entertainment. I'm not a fan of Boreanaz but he does a good job here.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I felt The Unit was a lot dryer and business-like - which I'm sure is how it is for real, but this is supposed to be entertainment. I'm not a fan of Boreanaz but he does a good job here.
Yeah actually I think that's a good way of putting it, I agree it's more "business-like."

I'm not familiar with Boreanaz but I guess he does ok in the show. Eh... I def prefer The Unit.

Funny that Michael Irby (Betty Blue in The Unit) is in both though, lol. He seems to be in a lot of military-type shows/films. I do think he kicks ass and enjoy him in stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.