NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 610 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched again Conan The Barbarian -

the real one.

the more i watch this film, the more new things i notice. Maybe it's because i first watched this as a child, and was just smitten by Conan's awesomeness, that i didn't pay attention to the detail. For example, i thought the first scene - the attack on the village - was just filler. I didnt see how it set up the riddle of steel, why would Thulsa want to attack them, and i didn't get that Conan's mother was being hypnotized.

still to this day an amazing film. 8.5/10

Sep 29, 2004
Long Shot - Netflix Original - 10/10 - HOLY CRAP! Everyone should watched this. It is a 40 minute documentary about someone that was falsely accused of murder and the coincidences that prevented his conviction. It actually made me teary eyed and I can't say why because of spoilers. It's actually a legit thing to watch with someone on a date.

Actually, it was well edited to evoke emotion.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
i watched again Conan The Barbarian -

the real one.

the more i watch this film, the more new things i notice. Maybe it's because i first watched this as a child, and was just smitten by Conan's awesomeness, that i didn't pay attention to the detail. For example, i thought the first scene - the attack on the village - was just filler. I didnt see how it set up the riddle of steel, why would Thulsa want to attack them, and i didn't get that Conan's mother was being hypnotized.

still to this day an amazing film. 8.5/10
The sound track is pretty awesome too.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
47 Meters Down - 7/10 - while there are some REALLY stupid things wrong with this movie, like the fact that they can talk to each other underwater when it's CLEAR AS SHIT that their mask isn't covering their ears and their ears are exposed to the water, it's still a fun movie that actually has some suspense to it as well. And the way it end had me laughing as well, but not because it was funny, but more because it was like "ooooh shit hahah no way!" so that was cool with me!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i accidentally watched a film.
how, you say, does one accidentally watch a film?
well, i was watching some Forrest Gump videos on youtube, about him and Bubba in Vietnam, then i clicked on another video, and i didn't realize it was a full film until i was 20 minutes in.

Land of Mine / Under Sandet 2015 HD - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3841424/reference

Apparently, after WW2, a "small" number of german POW (about 2000 of them) were kept in Denmark to forcibly remove the defensive mines they previously laid when they were setting up "Fortress Europe", the fortification of just about every coastline under Nazi control.
Now, most of these POWs were conscripts, and many were taken from the Hitler Youth; in other words, they were kids.

The story is of a group of these kids, and the Danish instructor / warden who forces them to remove the mines, a *very* dangerous job.

The film is 30% great acting, 70% tension. It's not really a war film, it's more of an existentialist film, the kids don't fully understand why they are there, the instructor doesn't understand why he needs to tread them so harshly. The film *is* all in german, with english hardcoded subs, but i found it easy to watch. Very good production, and apparently it received great critical acclaim just about everywhere, with 21 awards to its name. I liked it, i wouldn't call it AMAZING, but it was a good film and well made. The tension can get a bit much over time, so if you are into these kind of films like "the man stuck in a car booth" or "the man stuck in a phone boot" or "the man stuck in a coffin underground" then dude, you gon' love this film. If you feel meditative, then also you gonna love this film.
If you wanted to see the "stop forrest stop" scene, maybe you're not going to like it as much.

7/10 - good film, but a bit too much.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Nothing much on TV or the DVR Saturday night so I fired up the ROKU and checked out the Netflix offerings. Got hooked on "Cloud Atlas" for 3 hours. Wish I had known more about it before watching but it was a fun ride if you could stay with it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Wonder Woman - 9/10 - this movie was fantastic. I am really tired of the super hero movies in general but this one was awesome. I probably would have given it a 10/10 if it didn't turn into an anime battle at the end reminiscent of the 3rd Matrix movie, but it wasn't as bad as that one. In the saturated super hero market this one was a breath of fresh air. A bajillion times better than the overrated GotG movie of recent time. And damn, the sound in this movie was incredible. I felt a breeze from my subs multiple times in this movie.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Nothing much on TV or the DVR Saturday night so I fired up the ROKU and checked out the Netflix offerings. Got hooked on "Cloud Atlas" for 3 hours. Wish I had known more about it before watching but it was a fun ride if you could stay with it.
I enjoyed this movie. I made the mistake of starting it on a middle of the week night and realizing I still had an hour and a half left after I started dozing off. Still good in 2 parts, though.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001

I *really* liked Cloud Atlas a lot. So I watched it a 2nd time, and it was as good if not better than the 1st. I might watch it a 3rd time, which is saying a lot for a 3hr movie..

Alien Covenant 6/10 I sort of liked this movie. I didn't hate any of it, and I really liked parts of it. It just didn't grab me like some of the others in the franchise. If it were the only movie in the series, it would probably be hailed as amazing... but it has a "been there, done that" feel; nothing new here.

Six

Feb 29, 2000
Little Evil on Netflix - Cannot be rated on 10 point scale, because it's a subtle horror comedy with lots of chuckles. It's on the watch or don't watch scale. I say watch it. Not great, can be bad...but certainly entertaining.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
KT, I watched the first 2 seasons of Broadchuch.
They were very good. Olivia Colman is a much better actress than Anna Gunn.
I just need for Season three (the last season they are doing, I think) to come onto Netflix or Amazon.

Also watched Endeavour, which is pre-Inspector Morse, when he was just starting out as a Detective Constable.
There's 4 seasons, each with 4 episodes per season. First three were on Amazon and the 4th season was just on PBS, which I just missed.
Worth a try if you like these British detective series.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2701582/?ref_=nv_sr_1

edit:
It's the 3rd season of Broadchurch that I just missed on out on PBS.
The 4th season of Endeavor was just recently on PBS that I put on DVR so I could watch after I was
caught up on the first 3 seasons from Amazon.

Awesome, glad you liked it E. Colman is SOOOO much better. The interaction between the two of them is great.

I will check out Endeavour, thanks. We are in-between shows right now, so need something new to watch.

KT

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
i accidentally watched a film.
how, you say, does one accidentally watch a film?
well, i was watching some Forrest Gump videos on youtube, about him and Bubba in Vietnam, then i clicked on another video, and i didn't realize it was a full film until i was 20 minutes in.

Land of Mine / Under Sandet 2015 HD - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3841424/reference

Apparently, after WW2, a "small" number of german POW (about 2000 of them) were kept in Denmark to forcibly remove the defensive mines they previously laid when they were setting up "Fortress Europe", the fortification of just about every coastline under Nazi control.
Now, most of these POWs were conscripts, and many were taken from the Hitler Youth; in other words, they were kids.

The story is of a group of these kids, and the Danish instructor / warden who forces them to remove the mines, a *very* dangerous job.

The film is 30% great acting, 70% tension. It's not really a war film, it's more of an existentialist film, the kids don't fully understand why they are there, the instructor doesn't understand why he needs to tread them so harshly. The film *is* all in german, with english hardcoded subs, but i found it easy to watch. Very good production, and apparently it received great critical acclaim just about everywhere, with 21 awards to its name. I liked it, i wouldn't call it AMAZING, but it was a good film and well made. The tension can get a bit much over time, so if you are into these kind of films like "the man stuck in a car booth" or "the man stuck in a phone boot" or "the man stuck in a coffin underground" then dude, you gon' love this film. If you feel meditative, then also you gonna love this film.
If you wanted to see the "stop forrest stop" scene, maybe you're not going to like it as much.

7/10 - good film, but a bit too much.
Hmmm, sounds like I'd be interested in this one. I think I'll add it to my YouTube "Watch Later" list. Kind of annoying how the official YouTube Movies version of it (in 1080p) is $12.99 when a bunch of other movies, like the newest Alien movie and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are $4.99. I'd prefer to watch it in 1080p instead of 720p from the first link but I ain't paying $12.99 to watch the movie.

Thanks for mentioning it.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Awesome, glad you liked it E. Colman is SOOOO much better. The interaction between the two of them is great.

I will check out Endeavour, thanks. We are in-between shows right now, so need something new to watch.

KT
Speaking of Olivia Colman, I just watched The Night Manger. It had Olivia Colman, Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston in it. Its based on a John Le Carre
novel. It's a 6 part mini series on Amazon Prime. Hiddleston in an ex-British soldier/The Night Manger recruited by MI-6, Olivia Colman, to try to take down an arms dealer, no other than Hugh Laurie. I gave it an 8.5/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399664/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I wanna see American Made, the new Kingsman, and (OF F*CKING COURSE) Blade Runner. I got a Moviepass that I got recently when it was on sale and so for $9.95/month I can see unlimited movies (only gotta see one a month to make it worthwhile). I've used it once so far and it worked great. I just didn't want to see Kingsman and American Made, and now Blade Runner, right when they came out but it should be long enough for the former two that the theaters won't be full.

fenrir

Apr 6, 2001
Long Shot - Netflix Original - 10/10 - HOLY CRAP! Everyone should watched this. It is a 40 minute documentary about someone that was falsely accused of murder and the coincidences that prevented his conviction. It actually made me teary eyed and I can't say why because of spoilers. It's actually a legit thing to watch with someone on a date.

Actually, it was well edited to evoke emotion.

There is no way to say if he would get convicted by a jury with the evidence they had, but certainly possible. It is disturbing that he spent 5 and a half months in jail just so they could decide if there should be a jury trial with what little circumstantial evidence they had.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There is no way to say if he would get convicted by a jury with the evidence they had, but certainly possible. It is disturbing that he spent 5 and a half months in jail just so they could decide if there should be a jury trial with what little circumstantial evidence they had.

It was more concerning that they tried to frame him
...did you watch the credits?

fenrir

Apr 6, 2001
It was more concerning that they tried to frame him
...did you watch the credits?

Yes I did.

The detectives didn't try to frame him, they tried to get a confession through illegal interrogation tactics. For me, framing would be planting/manufacturing evidence that would be presented in court.

I still find it far more disturbing that he spent that much time in jail on very flimsy evidence and he would have been in jail far longer if it had gone to trial. This should not even have been brought before a judge in the first place with what little evidence they had.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yes I did.

The detectives didn't try to frame him, they tried to get a confession through illegal interrogation tactics. For me, framing would be planting/manufacturing evidence that would be presented in court.

I still find it far more disturbing that he spent that much time in jail on very flimsy evidence and he would have been in jail far longer if it had gone to trial. This should not even have been brought before a judge in the first place with what little evidence they had.

It's probably semantics, but the fact that they staged the pictures and comments to make the defendant believe he had been singled out sure looked like a frame up job to me. But yea, I agree with you. It was clear they never even went beyond...this guy looks hispanic, we have our man and didn't bother to look for other suspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.