NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 609 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Baywatch - 7/10 - it's a really dumb but fun and entertaining movie. It's cheesy and corny just like the original show but it doesn't take itself serious so it's okay. It was over the top but fun and had some nice boobs to look at the whole film.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The Founder (2017) 4/10

The lead actor (Koch character) was well acted. That's about all the kudos I can give it. I had to hit eject around 1/2 way through when I decided this movie is irredeemably obscene.
I wouldn’t say it’s a “good” movie, but I can recommend it on the merit that it’s thought provoking.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
The latest Transformer movie. Was drunk and stoned....I had no clue what was going on, but it was fun to watch..and hearing Optimus'es voice is worth the admission price.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie 8/10 - my son loved the books when he was younger now the 3.5 year old twins love the movie. I found it funny as well.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Father Brown 7/10

This is a UK serial available on Netflix. It's not going to be to everyone's taste as it's a typically anodyne British murder mystery. But if you don't mind the cozy, soft shoe approach to your mayhem, I think it's an endearing series.

The titular character is a mystery solving priest who while appearing to be cloistered and unworldly has the insights and intuitions of a street hustler. The contrast doesn't come across as being that stark. You only realize it upon reflection.

The supporting cast are equally quirky and endearing, each in their own way - much like many serials of this kind.

The show is in it's fifth season.

rumpleforeskin

Nov 3, 2008
Ozark 6/10

Quite an explosive start which drew me in but it soon becomes cliched and the season never really delivers the payoff that was expected.
I'll be giving season 2 a miss

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
IT 8/10

It was pretty entertaining. I never saw the original but this one was pretty creepy and scary. Cast was very good and the acting was also very good. If you like horror movies this one is pretty good. The guy who plays Pennywise is REALLY convincing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Everyone I know who's seen IT said it isn't scary at all and the new Pennywise has nothing on the old one. I can se that too from the trailers alone. They are trying to make Pennywise scary in whereas in the first one, part of the creepy part about him was how normal he looked.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I can see that comparison...but when you have middle aged people growing up with the main man himself "curry"....things start to blend.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Narcos Season 3 - 10/10 - I still have 2 episodes left, but holy shit this show is incredible and I am going to be sad after I finish it tonight.

WOW.fucking amazing 10/10.loved it.on a more serious note be careful when checking out new areas :S.(.

All about moods i suppose.The Caller.i was too tired to turn it off,glad i didnt,it was a creepy film.A generous 6.5.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I wouldn’t say it’s a “good” movie, but I can recommend it on the merit that it’s thought provoking.

Yeah. It's pretty watchable and I liked most of the performances, but definitely not a great movie.

KT

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Ha, yeah, I watched the United States of America version too, but it was really weird. I do not think the lady from Breaking Bad is very good and she does not hold a freaking candle to Olivia Colman from the original, she's incredible. I also prefer David Tennant with his original accent. The chemistry between Tenant and Coleman was much better too; I could watch them do that show forever, just going around and solving crimes or whatever.

KT
KT, I watched the first 2 seasons of Broadchuch.
They were very good. Olivia Colman is a much better actress than Anna Gunn.
I just need for Season three (the last season they are doing, I think) to come onto Netflix or Amazon.

Also watched Endeavour, which is pre-Inspector Morse, when he was just starting out as a Detective Constable.
There's 4 seasons, each with 4 episodes per season. First three were on Amazon and the 4th season was just on PBS, which I just missed.
Worth a try if you like these British detective series.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2701582/?ref_=nv_sr_1

edit:
It's the 3rd season of Broadchurch that I just missed on out on PBS.
The 4th season of Endeavor was just recently on PBS that I put on DVR so I could watch after I was
caught up on the first 3 seasons from Amazon.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Sleight (2017) 5/10

Low budget 90 minutes. Drug trade, gangs top heavy leaders. Focuses on protagonist, too predictable. I'm not one to finish a movie I don't like but this one had me wondering where it was going, had to see. There are some harrowing moments! I don't recommend it.

PS Oh, and talk about cheap tricks! Magic?
Stop bullets with anatomical implant pseudo-science?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Narcos seasons 1/2: 10/10
Narcos Season 3: 8/10 .... why? Is it just me or were there way more subtitles in season 3? I got a bit sick of it.

Season 4 should be good if they keep pace. Just stop with the damned subtitles!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Narcos seasons 1/2: 10/10
Narcos Season 3: 8/10 .... why? Is it just me or were there way more subtitles in season 3? I got a bit sick of it.

Season 4 should be good if they keep pace. Just stop with the damned subtitles!
It was just you. All 3 seasons had a shitload of sub titles, which is good, because when they speak english in other countries it completely takes me out of the movie/show (like Tyrant).

Season 3 definitely didn't have as much action as the previous 2, so it was more dialog and story driven, so maybe that is why it seemed that way to you.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched Dracula Untold - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0829150/reference

basically, Luke Evans acting all cool n stuff. Action / Adventure / Revenge / Superhero film.
From a vampire point of view, it's more twilight than nosferatu, but despite the film playing it safe and trying to please the populist audience, it does everything well. The fight scenes are cool and it's easy to understand who is doing what, the story respects its own rules, the plot makes sense. There's some pretty good acting scenes too, and the love relation between Vlad and his wife isn't too soppy. It's like, they decided to do a well made film, and then actually went and did it. The scene when Vlad first confronts a vampire is alone worth the price of the film.

Nice film. Well made. Vampires n stuff. CGI that didnt suck. 7/10

Nov 29, 2006
Latest Transformer: 3/10

I think you have to have some sort of ADHD to watch these movies. My eyes hurt by the end of the movie..as well as my brain.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Season 3 of Dark Matter is now on Netflix.
For the handful of you that didnt pirate the episodes, this is good news.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I've been watching The Sinner because there's nothing else good out right now (ok, I still haven't started The Deuce) and wow. The first episode was not very good, sorta like USA was making its first drama...and the next few episodes weren't great but it was interesting enough to keep my attention. It was still sort of amateurish in a way, trying to be prestige tv when it clearly wasn't. I thought it would have been better if it went full self aware cheesy but it was still decent. Episode 6 turned a corner and was quite good, and holy shit episode 7 blew me away. The last ~5 minutes or so were kind of incredible. I need a break before watching the finale

Status
Not open for further replies.