NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 608 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah Veep is incredible. Everyone should watch it. I'm a season behind and really need to catch up.

KT
Hmmm. I watched a few episodes of it months ago and while thought it was ok I didn't stick with it, although that's not much of a knock from me since I tend to lose interest in things pretty quickly. Maybe I'll try it again sometime if I'm looking for something to watch. :thumbsup:

As an added bonus (for us old folks), Julia Louis Dreyfus looks goooooooooooooooooooood.
Oh man, I'm 34 and think she's stunning. I thought she was gorgeous in Seinfeld when I'd see the show when I was in high school. According to Wikipedia she has some Jewish ancestry; I kinda thought so. For whatever reason I'm definitely a sucker for Jewish looking, from a little to a lot, ladies... :hearteyecat:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah Veep is incredible. Everyone should watch it. I'm a season behind and really need to catch up.

KT

I love Veep, but I think it's rather tedious. The show is pretty much just an extended stream of clever insults and dick and pussy jokes. Which can be fine, sure, but that's 7 seasons of dick and pussy jokes. That, and Selina has gotten really fricking mean the last couple of seasons. These were always awful people, of course, but I find her character very, very difficult to like now, when it's easy enough to like horrible characters like Jonad and that Congressman that does nothing but rant about his dick.

Somehow, Seinfeld did well with presenting awful humans in a likable, relatable manner. ...I guess those characters were more charming in a way.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh man, I'm 34 and think she's stunning. I thought she was gorgeous in Seinfeld when I'd see the show when I was in high school. According to Wikipedia she has some Jewish ancestry; I kinda thought so. For whatever reason I'm definitely a sucker for Jewish looking, from a little to a lot, ladies... :hearteyecat:

She also has some French aristocracy in her. The Louis-Dreyfus's are, I think, some long-standing, Dukish or something Frenchie castle holders, with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I believe her pops was an ambassador.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
She also has some French aristocracy in her. The Louis-Dreyfus's are, I think, some long-standing, Dukish or something Frenchie castle holders, with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I believe her pops was an ambassador.
Yep, probably more French than Jewish it seemed like. The dark hair does it for me though there's something about Jewish facial features too I guess. French, Jewish/Israeli, Persian/Iranian, Indian (South Asian), etc. DO WANT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It (2017) - 8/10 - This is a very difficult movie to score because I love the book and didn't actually expect this to be very good. It is, and it isn't. Some important points follow the book very closely, while there are also big changes from the book (the biggest being it is set in the 80's rather than the 50's). If you like the current 80's nostalgia like Stranger Things you will like this movie. If you didn't, you probably won't. I wouldn't say it is all that scary, but it does have some jump scares and a few surprises. This chapter only covers the kids part of teh story and it is doing tremendously well at the box office so the second chapter covering the adults is certainly coming. Even as a fan of the book I quite enjoyed this, conversely my wife who is usually much more forgiving thought it was 'just okay'. Given what my expectations were it exceeded it and is quite well done for a modern horror movie that is based on a very difficult to develop novel.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It (2017) - 8/10 - This is a very difficult movie to score because I love the book and didn't actually expect this to be very good. It is, and it isn't. Some important points follow the book very closely, while there are also big changes from the book (the biggest being it is set in the 80's rather than the 50's). If you like the current 80's nostalgia like Stranger Things you will like this movie. If you didn't, you probably won't. I wouldn't say it is all that scary, but it does have some jump scares and a few surprises. This chapter only covers the kids part of teh story and it is doing tremendously well at the box office so the second chapter covering the adults is certainly coming. Even as a fan of the book I quite enjoyed this, conversely my wife who is usually much more forgiving thought it was 'just okay'. Given what my expectations were it exceeded it and is quite well done for a modern horror movie that is based on a very difficult to develop novel.

I saw the original back when it came out as a kid (thanks to my mom not caring about me watching it with her :p), and in a sense, I'm "completing the story's arc" by seeing it again as an adult. Anyway, it's kind of odd for me to give a review to a movie like this, because I'm really not a fan of horror movies. My biggest problem is that they don't scare me, so I don't see the point in watching them. So, for me, I need to watch a horror movie for other reasons such as interesting and/or suspenseful scenes. Similar to what I've seen some reviewers say, this isn't really as much of a horror movie but more of a horror/suspense. You're really watching characters be afraid of creepy things more so than being in something scary. A good example of that would be the first time Mike sees Pennywise, which wasn't scary at all.

I think my favorite part of the movie was the creepiness of Pennywise in this one. "Pop! Pop! Pop!" I mean... it's no Tim Curry, which might be a good thing for some people, but I do think they did a good job taking the character in a different direction. I do agree with some reviews that I've watched that parts of the movie felt kind of odd. The weirdest was probably the rock fight, which I would've expected in something like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I think that scene should've been done a bit differently to not be so tonally different than the rest of the movie. Mike was also pretty useless in this movie. It also ignores some of the weird, out-there aspects of the book, but it does add little easter eggs referencing them.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

KT
+1 Love the crisp, biting, relentlessly cynical and mean-spirited writing.

Lucky Logan -- 7.5/10: I get dragged to films I'm not crazy about by my female friends. I was going to give this film a miss because I thought it had the potential to be a really unfunny, "look at the big star playing against type" turkey.

This time I heeded the plea of a male friend who wanted the company. The film was a lot more fun to watch than I thought it would be.

Even Adam Driver, the current King of the One Note Performers, couldn't ruin it. It's a shame for him that Girls ended. He really was perfect in that role. Maybe they should keep doing the show now that Lena and her Pussy Posse left. It could just be Driver, brooding in his apartment.

Instead of Girls they could call it . . . Boy.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I saw the original back when it came out as a kid (thanks to my mom not caring about me watching it with her :p), and in a sense, I'm "completing the story's arc" by seeing it again as an adult. Anyway, it's kind of odd for me to give a review to a movie like this, because I'm really not a fan of horror movies. My biggest problem is that they don't scare me, so I don't see the point in watching them. So, for me, I need to watch a horror movie for other reasons such as interesting and/or suspenseful scenes. Similar to what I've seen some reviewers say, this isn't really as much of a horror movie but more of a horror/suspense. You're really watching characters be afraid of creepy things more so than being in something scary. A good example of that would be the first time Mike sees Pennywise, which wasn't scary at all.

I think my favorite part of the movie was the creepiness of Pennywise in this one. "Pop! Pop! Pop!" I mean... it's no Tim Curry, which might be a good thing for some people, but I do think they did a good job taking the character in a different direction. I do agree with some reviews that I've watched that parts of the movie felt kind of odd. The weirdest was probably the rock fight, which I would've expected in something like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I think that scene should've been done a bit differently to not be so tonally different than the rest of the movie. Mike was also pretty useless in this movie. It also ignores some of the weird, out-there aspects of the book, but it does add little easter eggs referencing them.

I forgot to mention. This ran before the movie..and was far creepier :)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just thought of something:
if Edward Furlong had stayed out of trouble and off the junk, he could have played John Connor in ALL the films.

Unrelated:

Season 7 of the Walking Dead is now on Netflix. This is mostly for the guys like me who avoided it completely on television and decided to start watching only just recently.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Midsomer Murders - 8.5/10

This is a venerable UK murder-mystery series that is available on Netflix with 19 seasons. The quality has gone up and down over the years but if you like this genre, it's required viewing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Narcos Season 3 - 10/10 - I still have 2 episodes left, but holy shit this show is incredible and I am going to be sad after I finish it tonight.

Reactions: Zanovar

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Defenders: Netflix done f'd up with Iron Fist. There isn't a single character that is appealing or interesting from that story arc and it carries over and ruins this series as well.

The character is miscast, how he uses his power is stupid and he just kills the cohesion of the other main players.

Dare Devil season 1: 8/10
Jessica Jones season 1: 7/10
Luke Cage season 1: 7/10
DD season 2: 9/10 (hope they don't ruin Punisher spinoff!)
Iron Fist : couldn't bring myself to watch it
Defenders season 1: 6/10

Reactions: Charmonium

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Narcos Season 3 - 10/10 - I still have 2 episodes left, but holy shit this show is incredible and I am going to be sad after I finish it tonight.
I've watched three episodes (or maybe just two?) and yeah it is excellent. I'm glad Pedro Pascal is still in this season.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Once bitten - 7.5

Cheesy 80s vamp movie, totally aimed at young adults. Has jimmy Carey from way back. I enjoyed it

Teen wolf - 7.8

Classic, fun, yet a little eye rolling from me.

Back to the future trilogy. Overall 9.0, but I may be slightly biased due to nostalgia. Great series.

**ended up with some cold this past weekend, watch a few movies.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've watched three episodes (or maybe just two?) and yeah it is excellent. I'm glad Pedro Pascal is still in this season.
Finished it last night - it only gets better. Damnit now it's going to be a whole year before the next season :( This show is a masterpiece.

Reactions: clamum

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I think my favorite part of the movie was the creepiness of Pennywise in this one. "Pop! Pop! Pop!" I mean... it's no Tim Curry, which might be a good thing for some people, but I do think they did a good job taking the character in a different direction.

I watched IT (2017) as well as IT (1990) Blu-ray this weekend.

IT (2017) - 7/10 - I agree with a lot of what Aikouka wrote. It is all around a solid horror movie, and a refreshing change from the current crop of movies. It missed a few aspects that I feel are essential to the 'feel' of a King movie.
The movie was so concerned with giving Pennywise screen time that they just never got around to growing the relationship between the kids. Every single scene had to have something creepy. The kids never get the chance to bond. It really felt like the kids meet and are all, "Hello, my name is Mike! We are best friends now!" My next complaint was with the role of Pennywise. Pennywise is a creepy clown. This portrayal of him was 98% monster, 2% clown. He never acted like a clown by perverting the clown tropes into nightmare fuel. I really felt that with this portrayal the only real reason we think of him as a clown at all was the costume. Also the whole 'We all float down here' had no real connection to the story. It is supposed to be a connection between the balloons and the murders, but the show never makes the connection to the audience.
Despite all that it is still a good movie, which I enjoyed.

IT (1990) - 8.5/10 - Does almost everything right. The acting by the kids was not always there, and that hurt the show some, but that was only a sometimes thing. The main positive of this version is Tim Curry's performance as Pennywise the Clown. It is genuinely creepy all on it's own without needing the big budget CGI effects that the new show used instead of acting.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Snowfall - 4/10 - I finished the last episode of the first season last night. I had high hopes for this show but pretty quickly, like in the first or second episode, you could tell that it just wasn't going to be very good. The acting was pretty poor and the characters were just kinda dumb. A lot of what happened just seemed so fake and made no sense. When I first saw the trailers I thought this was going to be a gritty type of show about the rise of crack cocaine but it was pretty far from that.

It reminded me a lot of that shitty show The Bridge on FX, where the trailers looked incredible for it, but an episode or two in you pretty much knew it was going to be crap. Snowfall isn't as bad as The Bridge was, as I at least made it the whole season, and I saw it got renewed for a 2nd season 5 episodes in, but if it continues at this pace, I'll be surprised if it's around for a third season.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Snowfall - 4/10 - I finished the last episode of the first season last night. I had high hopes for this show but pretty quickly, like in the first or second episode, you could tell that it just wasn't going to be very good. The acting was pretty poor and the characters were just kinda dumb. A lot of what happened just seemed so fake and made no sense. When I first saw the trailers I thought this was going to be a gritty type of show about the rise of crack cocaine but it was pretty far from that.

It reminded me a lot of that shitty show The Bridge on FX, where the trailers looked incredible for it, but an episode or two in you pretty much knew it was going to be crap. Snowfall isn't as bad as The Bridge was, as I at least made it the whole season, and I saw it got renewed for a 2nd season 5 episodes in, but if it continues at this pace, I'll be surprised if it's around for a third season.
damn it..
it was on my list to binge when the complete season was out :(

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
The Hero

MV5BMjA2OTY1MjI4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzYwMjk5MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

made me laugh, made me cry....good effing movie

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The Founder (2017) 4/10

The lead actor (Koch character) was well acted. That's about all the kudos I can give it. I had to hit eject around 1/2 way through when I decided this movie is irredeemably obscene.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
1) Atomic Blond starring Charlize Theron 6/10

pro:
loved the gritty fight scenes near the end.

cons:
A) couldn't exactly follow the plot.
the 2 main bad guys had Russian names both beginning with B, and both had beards.
lost track of who did what.

B) the ending was confusing

2) Hitman's bodyguard staring Samuel L Jackson and Deadpool (the guy that plays him) 7.5/10
good buddy comedy/popcorn flick with a hot girl, and Salma Hayek has some nice knockers.

of course theres Star Wars plot armor of bad guys firing thousands of rounds at the stars and never seriously hitting them

Status
Not open for further replies.