NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 607 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched THE MUMMY ! - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2345759/reference

ok, so.

ermmm.. i'm not sure if i can describe it.

is it bad? yes, it's bad. is it so bad it's good? kinda.

Tom Cruise is a good guy. He's sargent major whatever but he likes to steal important archaeological stuff during his time in iran / iraq / whatever. He's doing his stealy bit when a bomb uncovers the tomb of the mummy and the mummy comes alive.
The guy from New Girl (Jake Johnson, who is absolutely horrid and should never be cast in anything) is a zombie sidekick.

the mummy does some mind tricks on Tom because she wants him to ... marry her or something, which is a really evil plot.

Tom falls in love with a girl he basically has zero attraction for. This makes the mummy mad.

There is a lot of car chasing and action, but eventually the mummy and Tom are captured by Russel Crowe (fat) who is none other than Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. (no werewolves or frankensteins in sight yet)

Basically the mummy breaks loose and .. i dont know, Tom cruise does his thing where he runs .. and finally he is alone in a room with the bad g.. girl? ye, the bad girl. the mummy.

So the mummy is like, GLORY TO SETH AND ETERNAL LIFE etc and Tom stabs himself with a dagger and because of some complicated rules of magic laid down in the story, but in a way that no sane person could follow, he wins.
I think the zombie sidekick helps him win at some point because the power of friendship.

There is a TON of stuff happening, the film script must have been 300 pages long. Every section has its own flavor and you never know if it's a comedy, an action film, horror ..

Because The Mummy is a join effort of several people with no direction at all, some bits are good, some are bad, and the whole shebang is just badly mixed together. Too long, too disjointed, too mundane, a big pot of i have seen it before mixed with as many bio-zombie-creature sound effects they could afford.

Back in the day, i went to see The Scorpion King and i had fun, even though the movie is stupid. The previous The Mummy with the idiot, brendan frasier, was likewise a crappy popcorn film for 15yo kids, that could in a pinch fill a boring midweek day.

this film is neither of those. it can have some immediate entertainment value just for the sheer fuckton of stuff thrown in it, and some of it is bound to amuse, but as a finished product, it's shit.

i couldn't help myself using two whole curse words in one post but there is no other way i could express myself. it's ok, i haven't had a infraction in over a year.

don't watch it.

my rating: 4/10 - watch The Great Wall or even King Arthur instead.

Reactions: Zanovar and Thebobo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So, apparently, the rumor is, Neegan is quite a bit darker and scarier than The Governor. At least thats what I've been told.

Oh, and I'd like to say I felt a little sad when
Sam and Jesse got bit

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Netflix:
What happened to Monday
Little evil

Girl in what happened to Monday is from The girl with the dragon tattoo...also a great movies series.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think you are a bit biased by your expectations. I watched it this weekend with 2 other people that had never seen any of the others, and we all agreed that it was a pretty standard fare teen flick. It was a bit more original than most and the overall story worked. The acting is about what you would expect from this sort of show, so about average. Still better than Twilight.

Death Note: 5.5/10 - Not bad, not great. You will not regret spending your time on it if you are not a fanboi of the anime.

I think his point was, skip this version and get the captioned japanese live versions that came out years ago.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Netflix:
What happened to Monday
Little evil

Girl in what happened to Monday is from The girl with the dragon tattoo...also a great movies series.

Watched What happened to Monday very interesting movie. What did happen to monday? I'll have to watch again ~

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I liked Little Evil. I thought it was interesting that they cast the same actor for the preacher in the same role as Carnivale.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Sicario - 9/10 Good acting, pacing - edgy and a bit mysterious. A cleaned up version of some of what really happens in the 'drug wars'.

Reactions: Zanovar

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Finished Ozark; liked it quite a bit even with some of the dumb stuff that happens. Those things are inevitable in a show like this, so I'm happy to just let it pass. Would probably give it a 7.5/10.

We watched all of Big Little Lies. The first episode is kind of dumb and felt like a cheesy soap opera, but episode 2 and onward did a better job with the trope and it became quite enjoyable. Nicole Kidman was incredible (as always) and if you know the Director, Jean-Marc Vallée, you definitely can feel his style coming through, so if you like that style, and I certainly do, you may like this. I think I'd go with 8/10 for the whole thing.

Also blasted through all of Silicon Valley season 4 this weekend. Still one of my favourite shows, just so many great characters and stupid, but fun situations. Will be interesting to see how next season goes without T.J. Miller, his character was always a very reliable source of nonsense. 8.5/10 for this season.

KT

Reactions: slayer202

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Get Shorty - 8/10 (tv serial, not the movie)

There's some graphic violence but for the most part, the show is fairly funny, even during some of the more serious and violent scenes. Five episodes have aired so far on Epix (which I don't get but . . . you know). It's on Sunday nights so there's a lot of competition but it's worth checking out.

The main characters are partially caricatures of themselves but I think that's done for comedic effect. Otherwise there's good character development and you develop a certain amount of sympathy for them despite some of the horrible things they do. It reminds me a little bit of Pulp Fiction but with more depth.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
i watched THE MUMMY ! - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2345759/reference

my rating: 4/10 - watch The Great Wall or even King Arthur instead.

I watched The Mummy as well this weekend. I would agree with all that you said and would add that one of the biggest problems the show has is that every character in it is just terrible. By the middle of the show I was rooting for the mummy to kill everyone. Why does Hollywood still think that Tom Cruise can act? He has become a real life Zoolander.

The Mummy - 3/10 Just barely watchable.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
It's funny - know virtually nobody that watches this show, yet it's one of the best comedies of the past 10 years.

It is an acquired taste like Sunny In Philadelphia. Comedy is hard, Satire very difficult because some don't get it and farce for long periods is almost never heard of due to absurdity.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah Veep is incredible. Everyone should watch it. I'm a season behind and really need to catch up.

KT

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Free Fire - Surprisingly good! Violent and pretty hilarious at times. Imagine you are in an arms deal gone wrong and you get shot, but it only hurt about 1/25th as bad as it would normally so you are still a sarcastic a-hole throughout the ordeal.

Fun times, with a good sound track and really enjoyable weapon noises if you have a good sound setup.

8/10

Reactions: WiseUp216

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The Dark Tower-0/10

Nice things to say about this movie ?

1. All sorts of creative reloading techniques.

2. Walter O'Dim is super duper kickass cool in the movie adaption, way cooler than in the original novels. Matthew McConaughey did portray the "Walking Dude" true to his name, always on the move, casually passing through lives and worlds, leaving havoc in his wake.

Otherwise... it's time totally wasted. Should have gone to the CNE and competed in the sucking rooster balls through a straw contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.