NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 602 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2008
Max Payne 8/10
I just watched Max Payne with Mark Wahlberg as the main character on Netflix.
I like Mark Wahlberg very much as an actor in movies, because he always has a way of portraying characters that makes the movie interesting.
There was never a movie that become dull and boring when he plays a role in it.
I have played the game Max Payne of course and i liked the story from the game that has some twist and turns.
The movie plot is loosely based upon it.

As a side note, the actrice Olga Kurylenko plays a small part in the movie at the beginning, but wow , what a treat.
This picture does her not even do justice.

I would love to dance the Volga with Olga. :)
fhd008MPN_Olga_Kurylenko_011.jpg

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i quite enjoy watching The Jim Jeffries Show (it's not stand-up, it's a weekly news/politics commentary comedy show, similar to The Daily Show, Fully Frontal, or The Late Show). I can clearly tell he's not fit for the role, but he's trying his best and he's funny on his own, so the whole thing works in the same way as a cookie with too much sugar, or some other horribly chemical tasting sweet that's still "good" to eat.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't know what those are, I'll look them up.

I saw ARQ a few months back. Liked it.
They're actually the same movie. It's critically praised but didn't do so well in theaters. Guess they thought "Edge of Tomorrow" made it sound like a pretentious artsy movie so they adopted the popular tag line as the title for later releases and home video. Even the sequel is going to be called "Live, Die, Repeat, and Repeat."

It's basically Tom Cruis and Emily Blunt in a futuristic battle against overpowering aliens. One gets the ability/curse to repeat the same day over and over and exploits this to improve skills in an attempt to become formidable enough to maybe have a chance.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Soooo... basically Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat, then?

No, not really. More of a variation than a clone. The point of Edge of Tomorrow was that they leveled-up their abilities until they found a path to success. ARQ is similar, but it's different in that it starts to involve more people, so more variables change. The focus of the show is more on the discovery of new information so that you get the whole story of what is going on in the situation.

It was fun for a watch, although the characters didn't really draw me in, so I had to break up watching it over a few days. I think it would have been better as like a 30-minute Twilight Zone episode.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
They're actually the same movie. It's critically praised but didn't do so well in theaters. Guess they thought "Edge of Tomorrow" made it sound like a pretentious artsy movie so they adopted the popular tag line as the title for later releases and home video. Even the sequel is going to be called "Live, Die, Repeat, and Repeat."

It's basically Tom Cruis and Emily Blunt in a futuristic battle against overpowering aliens. One gets the ability/curse to repeat the same day over and over and exploits this to improve skills in an attempt to become formidable enough to maybe have a chance.
The live die repeat is a lame name. I probably would've considered it as edge of tomorrow sounds cool. :)

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Drone 4/10
Its about the cia hiring out private companies to target people in the middle east using drones. Due to a a drone strike that killed its target along with some innocent bistanders a guy from the middle east comes to america to take revenge on the person that conducted the strike.

SPOILER

The middle eastern guy who had his wife and daughter killed accidentally in the drone strike is presented as a kind guy.
Later though its stated that he makes bombs and is actually a terrorist. I think he is also the same person who tortured a guy to extract info about the drone strike. So what is it supposed to be? Is he a kind terrorist?
Then he takes the family hostage of the drone operator. He bluffs that he is carrying a bomb and will kill the family. But in reality he doesnt and apparently just wants to commit suicide by having the family kill him.
So evidently this movie is about a terrorist who is actually a really nice guy. Sorry but the story line is just terrible

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Kong Skull Island - 7/10 - it was an entertaining special effect showcase for the latter half of the movie. Nothing memorable and pretty predictable as far as some of the characters go.

Belko Experiment - 5/10 - the premise was pretty awesome, very similar to battle royale, but with adults in an office environment, and they also aren't aware that it's about to happen, but the execution was just flat.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Seven Days in May (1964) 9/10

It was on AMC and I recorded it and watched it this AM, Amazingly poignant for its time. A lot of parallels to draw to present time.

"An unpopular U.S. President manages to get a nuclear disarmament treaty through the Senate, but finds that the nation is turning against him. Jiggs Casey, a Marine Colonel, finds evidence that General Scott, the wildly popular head of the Joint Chiefs and certain Presidential Candidate in 2 years is not planning to wait. Casey goes to the president with the information and a web of intrigue begins with each side unsure of who can be trusted."

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm curious to hear what you think of the rest. I only watched the first episode and I'm undecided so far

I've also been catching up on the latest season of Archer, and does anyone else find that the humor has been basically gone since a season or two ago? I laugh very rarely anymore. It's like they are trying to coast on the attitude of the characters and lame punchlines without writing funny material. Same thing with Bob's Burgers, in my opinion. Anyone agree or disagree

Yea, best last season of Archer was season 5? (the one where they are drug smugglers). Pam on coke was hilarious.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
yeah I think so. I finished the most recent season last week and what a bore. I can probably count the number of laughs on one hand

UKBB

Apr 17, 2017
Drone 4/10
Its about the cia hiring out private companies to target people in the middle east using drones. Due to a a drone strike that killed its target along with some innocent bistanders a guy from the middle east comes to america to take revenge on the person that conducted the strike.

LOL, oh the possibilities.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Power 8.5/10.

Just starting the new season, getting really good but also frustrating. Very good drama, lots of webs. Only thing I don't like is some of the language, cringe worthy sometimes. Probably my 3rd fav series on now. Just ahead of Ballers.

Sep 29, 2004
Manhunt: unibomber

Every tuesday on discovery. Started tonight with episodes 1 and 2.

Episode 1, 9.5/10. 0.5 deduction for unnecessary flash back format that in hindsight later on might make sense.

Worry is that it is more drama than docu in docudrama. Tbd on that front.

Right now it is a must see. Incredible acting and good story.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2004
Manhunt unibomber episode 2...

Ok,this docudrama is turning out to be awesome. 10/10 so far!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
Max Payne 8/10
I just watched Max Payne with Mark Wahlberg as the main character on Netflix.
I like Mark Wahlberg very much as an actor in movies, because he always has a way of portraying characters that makes the movie interesting.
There was never a movie that become dull and boring when he plays a role in it.
I have played the game Max Payne of course and i liked the story from the game that has some twist and turns.
The movie plot is loosely based upon it.

As a side note, the actrice Olga Kurylenko plays a small part in the movie at the beginning, but wow , what a treat.
This picture does her not even do justice.

I would love to dance the Volga with Olga. :)
fhd008MPN_Olga_Kurylenko_011.jpg

Game movies have never been exceptional but at least this one had decent moments. Funny how producers see it as a decent opportunity to make a movie on games and yet ends up ruining the memories associated with the game.

@OP: spider-man homecoming. it was pretty kick-ass. a couple of weeks before that, i was trying to get through attack on titan, and before that, shindler's list, usual suspects, seven, primer and predestination.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
KING ARTHUR DAWG ! - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1972591/reference

oh wow so much contrasting emotions.

So, it's a Guy Ritchie film. Well, "film", it's a film-like thing.
Set in ... oh god .. set in some sort of very confused middle-ages england .. with magical monsters. Oh and king arthur. There's plenty of sexy ladies hanging around and everyone has that gangster accent from london. There's vikings and kung fu. Mountain-sized magical elephants that shoot fireballs.

Think The Great Wall, but even less historically accurate.

So, south-london-born King Arthur is a scoundrel who runs a protection racket. He was abandoned as a child after his dad the true king was murdered by the bad guy. For some reason David Beckham has him (yes, david beckham the football guy) draw The Sword from the stone and when he does, the Bad Guy(tm) immediately proceeds to piss him off by killing his girlfriend and trying to have him executed. Aw shiet dawg, IT IS ON!

So arthur like, escapes and stuff, and immediately scores a new GF much skinnier and sexier than the one before. Aaand i think they got confused with Robin Hood here because he goes into hiding in the woods and basically joins up with a band of merry men, where they use magic to send him on a quest, erm .. something like Luke's test on Dagobah,with giant animals .. Yoda's part is played by some discount Samule L Jackson clone.

Ok well you get the drift.

It's a totally unrealistic fantasy film where the script is drunk and running naked in a store high on acid.

So, gorgeous production, fairlry solid acting, insane direction typical of Guy Ritchie, nice effects, i gotta say, if i was 15yo i would LOVE this film. It's got a lot of random bullshit in it but it's the immortal story of the sword in the stone and some things in this film are actually pretty clever. The lead is a bit wooden and the bad guy is horrible, but they have little dialogue, with most of the work being done by the supporting actors.
If you are not offended by a retelling that takes more inspiration from Hellboy than from the original fable, then you will enjoy this film. if you are a stick in the mud, then you will find this film offensive and you should go watch Excalibur (1981) instead.

my rating: 7/10 - it's bad and good at the same time.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
\Yoda's part is played by some discount Samule L Jackson clone.

HAHAHAHA. I've been meaning to check this movie out. I know it got shit on by critics but I like Charlie Hunnam and for the most part critics can eat a man sausage anyway.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Black Mirror 9/10 Amazing series, a different story each episode, just brilliant.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
3% 8/10 Brazilian show by the cinematographer of City of God on Netflix. World is divided into the haves and the have nots. Each year there is a selection process to admit candidates into the rich part. Only top 3% of the candidates are picked up.
Very good thriller drama. Too short, can't wait for season 2.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
War for the Planet of the Apes 8.5/10

love the Apocalypse Now inside joke.
Love how they connected this prequel to Charles Heston's Planet of the Apes from the 1970s.

what I didn't like:
Why the hell didn't Caesar get his wound looked at/fixed?!
he/they walked all the way from the snow compound, thru the desert, and to the oasis.
weak ending to kill off the char

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Alien Covenant - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/reviews

garbage.

not as laughably bad as the star wars prequels, but wrong on so many aspects.

1. aliens can now spawn from SPORES. not sure why they need a enormous cocoon when the spores are far more effective.

truth be told, as the film veers from classic Alien to The Black Goo saga, where the goo is unobtanium and can do anything, you could feasibly explain why spores = aliens, if you chose to ignore how unrelatable this is. It turns the "hunted by a ferocious beast" film into your typical zombie/disease film.

2. CGI like it 1999.

this is really unforgivable. you know that CGI that POPS out and is absolutely obvious? yes, they have that stuff alongside spaceship models that would make you drool.

3. idiotic characters AGAIN

the story, although very much not-alien, isn't too stupid, but once again it uses "this spacefaring crewman is a moron" as a plot device.

i'm gonna take a break to say that a couple things were really great, for example, the very last scene is majestic and possibly the best scene Scott has ever filmed. but then again, you remind yourself that the first scene in the film is horrible and you question if artistic freedom actually ever produces good films. There is outstanding production side by side with some of the worst ideas ever put on film.

but the real tragedy is that Scott once again fails to show the story from the point of view of characters we can relate to; instead he goes for the abstract and occasionally only focuses on the action, as if this was a bad soldiers-shoot-monsters film.

5/10 bad and emotionally confusing .. you want it to be good, and then some CGI crap or idiotic script scene comes along and ruins the feeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImpulsE69 and Ns1
Status
Not open for further replies.