NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 493 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2004
Quite the contrary. It's been years since I've seen NW so I"ll just grab them both sometime.

$11 via Amazon for the two box set. hard to go wrong with that ;-)

FWIW: Has original language audio and English audio. Along with English subtitles (and 4 others). I took a gamble because Amazon didn't actually say what it had for subtitles and it didn't tell me that the original audio was on it.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Galaxy Quest: 9/10

galaxy-quest-tv-series-amazon-750x480.jpg

I can't believe I haven't seen this movie in the 17 years it's been out. The first few years I just avoided it because I thought I'd hate it, but lately it just hasn't been on the radar for me.

However, I just saw it on Netflix. It's hilarious.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Galaxy Quest: 9/10

galaxy-quest-tv-series-amazon-750x480.jpg

I can't believe I haven't seen this movie in the 17 years it's been out. The first few years I just avoided it because I thought I'd hate it, but lately it just hasn't been on the radar for me.

However, I just saw it on Netflix. It's hilarious.

I just watched it about a month ago. Liked it.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've watched Galaxy Quest so many times over the years. It is much better than any of the movies it parodies.

Krampus - 7/10 - I really liked this movie. I didn't expect to and I am sure it isn't for everyone. It kind of reminded me of Gremlins in some ways (not just the Christmas theme). It gets kind of japanese strange at the end though.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Ya, Galaxy Quest is awesome. . Hard to say it is one of the best comedies of its decade, but it might be.

Emotional attachment to characters. Check

Funnier than average. Check

Parody. Check

Interesting and unique story. Check

I think it honestly should get more love. And i am talking critically speaking.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
Krampus
In Austro-Bavarian Alpine folklore, Krampus is a horned, anthropomorphic figure

And people laugh at my lobe for troll hunter.

My guess is that krampus is a remake of a foreign movie. . Kinda like Hollywood already bought the rights for a troll hunter remake.

Time for research. . Any original ideas from the USA?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
MI-5 (Spooks: The Greater Good) -- 7/10

Got this on a free Redbox rental. It's called MI-5 in the US (maybe other places) but it's a UK film which is titled Spooks: The Greater Good there. Apparently it's a continuation from a TV series but I don't know anything about that.

Stars Kit Harington from Game of Thrones fame and is pretty typical spy movie fare but it's decent. Oh man, and it has Tuppence Middleton in it (she plays Riley in Sense8) so it has to be good. So frickin beautiful. Anyway, I'd say it's worth a rental if you like spy/action movies.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
And people laugh at my lobe for troll hunter.
I couldn't get through that w/o fastforwarding most of it. I'm assuming it's the film of the same name that looks like it's shot like Blair Witch. It wasn't awful and I can see it being a cult classic but it definitely wasn't my style.

I think it's probably a lot like Sharknado in the sense that you either love it or hate it. Sharknado I think is another classic but I've had some trouble trying to defend that thesis.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I couldn't get through that w/o fastforwarding most of it. I'm assuming it's the film of the same name that looks like it's shot like Blair Witch. It wasn't awful and I can see it being a cult classic but it definitely wasn't my style.

I was surprised that blair witch 2 had full frontal nudity (red head girl) :eek:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Idiocracy - 9/10 a perfect realization of where humanity is headed, as predicted by C. M. Kornbluth in 1950 ("The Little Black Bag" / "The Marching Morons").

If you want to understand why Trump may be our next president, just watch this movie. He's got Electrolytes!

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Idiocracy - 9/10 a perfect realization of where humanity is headed, as predicted by C. M. Kornbluth in 1950 ("The Little Black Bag" / "The Marching Morons").

If you want to understand why Trump may be our next president, just watch this movie. He's got Electrolytes!
This movie is extremely insulting to the great masses of people.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Horace and Pete - 1/10

This is a six part series from Louis CK, with Steve Buscemi, Alan Alda, Edie Falco and others. Available on CK's website for download. I downloaded the six parts, watched most of the first, then bits and pieces of others to see if it was all the same.

It's kind of like a play filmed for TV, filmed in a bar (Horace and Pete's, est. 1916) and one other set. Dark, sepia toned, everything is a shade of something between worn out grunge and brown. Slow paced, dead quiet (some occasional slow background music), lots of dead air. Lots of family drama, some banter by the bar patrons about current politics. Kind of like Cheers with zero laughs and few likable characters.

Nearly unwatchable.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This movie is extremely insulting to the great masses of people.

Only because they deserve it :)

How else to explain Trump, Palin, reality TV? Is Honey Boo Boo a sign of an improvement in the great masses' intellect and good taste?

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
The Martian-9/10
I only showed up once he had started growing potatoes, but it was pretty good. A little depressing, as I doubt I'll ever go to space or see the world work together like that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ya, Galaxy Quest is awesome. . Hard to say it is one of the best comedies of its decade, but it might be.

Emotional attachment to characters. Check

Funnier than average. Check

Parody. Check

Interesting and unique story. Check

I think it honestly should get more love. And i am talking critically speaking.

Galaxy Quest is good and I agree with that except the bolded: Galaxy Quest is the Three Amigos in space/sci fi. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Sep 29, 2004

40 movies for 2014 ... I am pretty sure this was the list I found:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/anticipated-movies-2016-trailers-851797

'13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi'
Jan. 15
????

'Kung Fu Panda 3'
Jan. 29
sequel

'Hail, Caesar!'
Feb. 5
?????

'Zoolander 2'
Feb. 12
sequel

'Deadpool'
Feb. 12
clone - agree that it could be argued that this is a change

'Zootopia'
March 4
?????

'Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice'
March 25
clone

'My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2'
March 25
sequel

'The Jungle Book'
April 15
remake

'The Huntsman: Winter's War'
April 22

'Captain America: Civil War'
May 6
sequel

'Snowden'
May 13
doc-drama - original but just a big f'ing money grab

'The Angry Birds Movie'
May 20
game based original - OK, this is a new thing ... not new but seems to be popular this year. Movies based on games.

'Neighbors 2'
May 20
sequel

'X-Men: Apocalypse'
May 27
sequel

'Top Secret Untitled Lonely Island Movie'
June 3
???? - is this a Saturnight Live skit turned movie (sequel then?) or is this actually original?

'Warcraft'
June 10
???? - based on a game

'Finding Dory'
June 17
sequel - sorry this is just Nemo 2.

'Independence Day: Resurgence'
June 24
sequel

'The BFG'
July 1
original? - book based

'The Legend of Tarzan'
July 1
sequel - or a reboot. Whatever, don't care.

'Ghostbusters'
July 15
FUCK

'Star Trek Beyond'
July 22
sequel

Untitled Next Bourne Chapter
July 29
sequel

'Suicide Squad'
Aug. 5
????

'Sully'
Sept. 9
docu-drama

'Bridget Jones's Baby'
Sept. 16
sequel

'The Magnificent Seven'
Sept. 23
remake/reboot

'Gambit'
Oct. 7
sequel? clone? -X-men spinioff?

'The Girl on the Train'
Oct. 7
book based or ???

'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back'
Oct. 21
sequel

'Doctor Strange'
Nov. 4
???? - someone tell me what this is. Probably nothing original

'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'
Nov. 11
book based

'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
Nov. 18
sequel - let's ct this bullshit, another harry potter. If anything I will recatagorize as clone.

'Moana'
Nov. 23
original original original original original - HOLY SHIT. THE ROCK IS THE ONLY ACTOR WORTH A SHIT! OK, this is really just a remake of a Japanese movie, right?

'The Founder'
Nov. 25
docu-drama

'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
Dec. 16
sequel

'Assassin's Creed'
Dec. 21
game based

'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'
Dec. 25
book based

'Passengers'
Dec. 21
ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL - HOLY SHIT

All Holllywood needs now is another AVP movie. A movie based on a game that was based on two movies that is a "fad" for 2016 and a sequel. I should be CEO! Oh wait, if I base it on one of the actual comic books, we could even call it book based!!!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
All Holllywood needs now is another AVP movie. A movie based on a game that was based on two movies that is a "fad" for 2016 and a sequel. I should be CEO! Oh wait, if I base it on one of the actual comic books, we could even call it book based!!!

I think what you mean is most the movies are based on comic books..including AVP.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Spotlight 8.5/10

The movie does a great job of setting the narrative and framing the discussion about the priest abuses. The best part about it is that it doesn't turn the Boston Globe journalists into heroes for their part in the story, in fact it says the exact opposite. The main thesis is that it took more than the Catholic Church to help sweep all this under a rug, and the whole community including the paper itself was happy to look the other way for decades. The worst part is the pacing, and the fact that the journalists job because downright tedious towards the end. I would recommend it to anyone interesting in the scandal, or some who just appreciates a 1993's And the Band Played On type of plotline.

Status
Not open for further replies.