NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 491 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Zoolander (1)

Absolutely perfect; couldn't change a word or a page in the script without making it worse.
Perfect pacing, some of the best casting ever, great framing, full of great dialogue and ideas, funny, well produced.

9/10
The first time I saw it, I really didn't like it. But, maybe due to being prepared for all of the idiocy and awkwardness that is its surface content, I really enjoyed it when I happened to see it again.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
but they decided they wanted a teenage goth girl for comedic effect, and they liked the name Negasonic Teenage Warhead.
I think that's where Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came from. It such a bizarre name and concept that it was immediately popular.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The first time I saw it, I really didn't like it. But, maybe due to being prepared for all of the idiocy and awkwardness that is its surface content, I really enjoyed it when I happened to see it again.

I didn't like it when it came out and still don't. :/ Don't care for what it's making fun of, and just don't find it funny and I typically like most of the people involved.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
That is because they took two different characters and combined them. Her name is Negasonic Teenage Warhead and in the comics she is neither a X-man nor has that exploding power, she is a telepath. The movie was written to have the X-man Cannonball, someone that has a lot more connection with Deadpool, in it but they decided they wanted a teenage goth girl for comedic effect, and they liked the name Negasonic Teenage Warhead. So, we get a mash-up character.
Also not an expert on the universe, but neat to find they named a character after a fan's work. I just figured, given how Wyndorf does, the comic character came first.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Avatar 2009 was on TV yesterday only watch the last 30 mins. 10/10 back in release day now I rate the movie 8/10.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Avatar 2009 was on TV yesterday only watch the last 30 mins. 10/10 back in release day now I rate the movie 8/10.

You're WAY more generous than I would be.

MAYBE 8/10 when first released (Purely for graphics and 3D... the story was complete trash).
Today?... No clue. Would never watch again.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Dead Pool - 7/10. From all the buzz and the amount of money this film made, I was expecting a good movie (as the first Spiderman with Tobey) but it was not all that. Too much talking and the two Xmen characters were out of place (Supersonic who? and she was a bit chubby too). Love the introduction slow motion sequence and there were some nice looking action scenes.
yeah, those 2 xmen chars were a surprise.
but would have been acceptable if it was colossus and some known secondary xman w/little screen time like Havoc?
he had similar blasting powers to Warhead.
where the F did they pick nagasonic from?!

oh, and get this, they also changed her powers.
in the comics, she's a telepath. but in order to change that, FOX had to get Marvel;'s permission first.
if you're going to go thru all that trouble, when why not spend the time/energy in getting a better sidekick?!

Kung Fu Panda 3 - 7/10. This movie is getting worse and worse. Not as charming and funny as the first one. Too much "chi" this and "chi" that, similar as The Matrix. Going downhill.
yeah, liked the 1st. 2nd was ok.
it was obvious that he's going to level up and get the cannonball catching skill.

this 3rd one was meh. the snake (angelina jolie) didn't have much of a role.
and he becomes one with the phoenix force and wipes the floor w/the bad guy.
completely overpowered!

I predict in the 4th panda movie, when even the phoenix force isn't enuf, he'll get the infinity gauntlet to win. :(

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013

MAYBE 8/10 when first released (Purely for graphics and 3D... the story was complete trash).
Yep. Purely for graphics and 3D :)
Now everything movie you see seems repetitive and normal, hence the 8/10 hehe. :sneaky:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Came in here to say I liked Deadpool, but saw this and thought it quite funny now

so much egg on ma' face.

i'm not upset that he won; good for him, but to me he's more of a hard worker than a talent. I thought that Trumbo would have taken 1st, but was considering The Danish Girl.

Anyway, good for him, again.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

I got caught up in it in the theater, mostly for the graphics, I guess. The 3D part (can't believe that I spent whatever extra they charged for that) have not yet impressed me in any film as more than a transitory, added-on gimmick. That technology, and especially its implementation in films, has not yet reached maturity, imho.

Sure, the story line was pedestrian and derivative . . . just like most action/adventure films are. The key for me was, for whatever reason, with this film, I was able to enjoy a temporary suspension of disbelief, which is all I could ever ask from this genre of film -- to turn off the monkey mind and become like a kid again, wide-eyed and agape at the goings-on splashed across that big screen.

. . . Then the cell phone behind you rings, somebody else rips a wet one, and two rows down, a querulous granny loudly asks her near-dead mate, "WHAT DID HE SAY?" while, all too soon, you find yourself in the grimly delineated parking lot (those endless rows of lines!) of your local Gigaplex, the unrelenting sadness and futility of it all punching you in the face like your first fleeting hint of testicular cancer, and your Geo Metro just won't start.

It's Winter. It's grey and it's cold. The guy who gives you a jump takes the opportunity to go on and on about how Trump is going to Make American Great Again. He brags about how he's in the top 5% and offers to share his killer work-out regimen with you. You briefly consider running him over before he can reach the safety of his placenta red Canyonero.

You don't. You're a good guy. Your wife has remained silent this whole time. You suddenly suspect she is planning to leave you for her life coach. For which you pay.

The inescapable conclusion that your life is little more than a Beckett play or a Bergman film haunts you as you drive home. But when you get there, you microwave a store-brand burrito and slather it with Sriracha sauce, and for just one glorious moment before the stomach distress sets in, all is right with your world.

The end.

:cool:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I got caught up in it in the theater, mostly for the graphics, I guess. The 3D part (can't believe that I spent whatever extra they charged for that) have not yet impressed me in any film as more than a transitory, added-on gimmick. That technology, and especially its implementation in films, has not yet reached maturity, imho.

Sure, the story line was pedestrian and derivative . . . just like most action/adventure films are. The key for me was, for whatever reason, with this film, I was able to enjoy a temporary suspension of disbelief, which is all I could ever ask from this genre of film -- to turn off the monkey mind and become like a kid again, wide-eyed and agape at the goings-on splashed across that big screen.

. . . Then the cell phone behind you rings, somebody else rips a wet one, and two rows down, a querulous granny loudly asks her near-dead mate, "WHAT DID HE SAY?" while, all too soon, you find yourself in the grimly delineated parking lot (those endless rows of lines!) of your local Gigaplex, the unrelenting sadness and futility of it all punching you in the face like your first fleeting hint of testicular cancer, and your Geo Metro just won't start.

It's Winter. It's grey and it's cold. The guy who gives you a jump takes the opportunity to go on and on about how Trump is going to Make American Great Again. He brags about how he's in the top 5% and offers to share his killer work-out regimen with you. You briefly consider running him over before he can reach the safety of his placenta red Canyonero.

You don't. You're a good guy. Your wife has remained silent this whole time. You suddenly suspect she is planning to leave you for her life coach. For which you pay.

The inescapable conclusion that your life is little more than a Beckett play or a Bergman film haunts you as you drive home. But when you get there, you microwave a store-brand burrito and slather it with Sriracha sauce, and for just one glorious moment before the stomach distress sets in, all is right with your world.

The end.

:cool:

You had me at "Canyonero"

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
X-Men: Days of Future Past 6/10

they changed kitty's powers to time travel??

from capturing Mystique and using her blood:
-sentinels adopt to powers and develop counter measures like the Borg
-they also gained the Absorbing Man's power too.

how the hell?

the director's cut edition is a little better.
at least we can gleam that sentinels got their absorbing powers from capturing Rogue.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Saw San Andreas this weekend for no particular reason.

Two things were fantastic, the rest of the movie was laughable.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I am no Xmen expert but this is the first time I hear/watch about the Supersonic girl.

They were specifically looking for a nobody that's obscure and barely ever mentioned. I think they said she's only been in the comics once or twice.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
God the daughter is so fucking hot. Like... unimaginably frickin beautiful.

She's (Alexandra Daddario) is the only reason that I watched the Percy Jackson movies... I swear! :oops: She'll also be starring alongside The Rock in the upcoming Baywatch movie, which I'm sure will also have two very good things about it. :biggrin:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Animals really is funny. The artwork is hideous but that sort of plays into the humor. It's really offbeat and that's not just from the concept and artwork.

The one with the 2 cats and the stray is really hilarious and so is the one with the dog park.

May 11, 2008
As above, so below.

What is it with the weakminded of today that they call some movie with a bit of shock effect a horror movie. 1\10. The 1 is because i learned at least some history about the catacombs beneath Paris. Wiki is more interesting,though...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon II 6/10

sequel to the 2000 movie.

opening scene doesn't bode well for this movie:
I like the flashy fight sequences but when the gang attacks they fight one on one vs the star while the rest just stand around. :mad: WTF? thought that died last century with the old Chinese kung fu movies.

they Should have consulted Jackie chan on how to depict a real multi vs one kung fu sequence.

update:
Blind woman: "send the boy. him and sword are bound by fate. I've seen it."
some powerful warlord listens to a blind woman he's never met before because?
also, cheesy line

update2:
finished it.
didn't live up to the original. not even close.
6/10.
if it were a generic kung fu action flick, it would have been 7.5/10.

wow.. horrible ratings at Rotten tomatoes
17%
:eek:

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Same. I was just looking at my old review of the film and I've never gone back and given it a second shot. Need to do that soon.

KT

Watched the blu last night and the movie is still really good. I've probably seen it at least 4 times, and while it's been a while since I've watched it, the last act still holds up. Can't wait for Midnight Special (and he's got another upcoming film that I just saw on a Cannes '16 wishlist)

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Bridge of Spies - 8/10

Mark Rylance killed it, Oscar well deserve. He owned every senses he was in. Would have been 7/10 without him.

It is a Tom Hanks movie, you pretty much expected a happy ending. No surprise there.

I will be a lot more interesting if it give a little back story about the cold war and the wall.

A few low point, that pilot was way too calm, for some reason wife's 22" wrist really bug me, I expected a much strong public reaction when he took on the case but not much happening.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The Big Short - 8/10 - intertaining AND enformative. That doesn't happen very often.

The Magicians (Syfy series) - 7-8/10
- It's pretty much an adult rip off of Harry Potter, but it is fun. It is one of the higher quality shows on Syfy for some time IMO. Only about halfway through the season so far, but really enjoying it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.