NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 488 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
LOL! It's the antithesis of a liberal SJW twist. It's just like how some people seem to think South Park supports ultra-liberal viewpoints when it does just the opposite. There are also those on the right claiming to be "South Park Conservatives" with no idea just how Libertarian South Park's creators are.

I do notice Tarantino's North v. South trope as a struggle he assumes his viewers can/should all support a bit like others relying on Nazi's as the perpetual bad guy we can all agree to hate. At least he pushes liberal buttons at least as often as conservatives. Finding a few examples in his personal life where he supports Democrats, Obama, etc does not mean his films are filled with liberal messages. His films often show people legally enacting their justice through freedom and not relying on the government. Bouts hunters, profiteers, etc are a reoccurring theme. Frontier justice: the very opposite of SJW justice.

I can see how people assume an SJW slant with revenge violence in movies like Django but, if you look deeper, it falls apart.

tha fuck you talkin about

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Diablo http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4076760/reference

i can see why people hated it, but i really liked it.

MASSIVE spoiler below, don't click the black box.

Fight Club

I loved the brisk introduction; it left my roommate puzzled, but to me it was just fine, i don't need many excuses to watch a film, just tell me why this story is happening and get on with it.
It progresses as a fairly standard western, until this guy
70e4467295968e02f30c50da0b536a1c.jpg

shows up.
His face is so inflationed, and always playing the same role. But .. the thing is .. later on, it actually *works* that they picked him; it wasn't bad casting, it's actually a brilliant move.
There is a rather large portion of the film spoken in an Indian dialect, no subtitles. I can understand why people got pissed off, but if you pay attention, later on, it will all make sense.

This film really, really wants a fanedit. It needs a few minor cuts and possibly, the decision to leave it to a new director wasn't very bright.

But it's totally worth a watch: 7.5/10

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Re: The Witch.

I'd say, "But, but, but . . . it's highbrow and my brows are high, but I went into watching Babadook with the same sort of expectations, and felt let down.

Maybe this film is better/different. <shrug>

I've heard comparisons to Bergman's Cries and Whispers. I'm intrigued.

KT

I, too was disappointed by The Babadook (I remain mystified by people who call that one of the best horror movies of the last decade), but this is an entirely different sort of movie. It's funny - while I walked out of it somewhat disappointed, it has stayed in my mind and I would be interested to see it again. It's a really thought-provoking film.

Thanks, guys. Your responses encouraged me to read this review in The New Yorker.

Now, I'm also intrigued and want to see this film. :thumbsup:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Way to read into something to twist it into the exact opposite of what he said. :rolleyes:

They asked if he put it in the script in response to what was happening with the BLM stuff and he said no, it was already in the script. *gasp*

Also, the "evil" confederate is the one who
teams up with the black guy in the end and they both seem to have a change of heart toward each other. They also reveal that our "hero" black character is actually pretty disputable and just likes killing white guys.
Once again: the SJW-propaganda idea falls apart when you actually look into it. It defied that expectation with the character we are supposed to hate and I love the movie that much more for doing so.
QT has admitted he's a liberal (look it up) and that he's all about BLM so not even sure why you're debating his views. This flick is simply a liberal whodunit try-hard "western" so if you're into that, then go waste 3 hours - be my guest. Even the lingo is off - notice how some of the characters even talk like they're from an inner city. For example,
when black Minnie says "Ask me if my ass is fat" in a complimentary way.
People didn't talk like that back then, not to mention
Bob's "mexican" accent was horrible
. Yes, I live with hispanics so I'm a pretty good judge of that. Otherwise the acting was solid even if the plot was meaningless.

Even Roger Ebert thought the movie sucked and called it "Hipster Misogyny". I can see his point although it's a little more realistic that
women were viewed as expendable back then
. Kind of like arguing about how many times the N word was used, that is part of the realism. However,
someone getting their nuts blown off, in a pool of blood and not dying and then becoming the hero of the story while sharpshooting everyone
= "full retard". QT is better than this.

Going against stereotypes is exactly something a liberal SJW would do when making a BLM-themed film, because "diversity". But you see it as a clever part of the story. Yes, if you are a hipster. QT is so brilliant! Yes, we've
never seen minorities+whites become allies before in a film.
It's promoting diversity while still preserving a BLM superhero fantasy! Automatic 10/10 from liberals. :biggrin:

Last edited:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I, too was disappointed by The Babadook (I remain mystified by people who call that one of the best horror movies of the last decade), but this is an entirely different sort of movie. It's funny - while I walked out of it somewhat disappointed, it has stayed in my mind and I would be interested to see it again. It's a really thought-provoking film.
Agree, Bababook was a huge letdown. My wife and I were super excited because it was getting hype from a horror friend of ours. Doh. I'd rank The Conjuring and Insidious as monumentally better "possession" films of that year or the year before. Even The Visit had me on edge a bit more and that was creepy but not scary.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Wait, nobody told me Roger Ebert came back to life??!?! Zombiebert!

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
damn, I'd love to read an Ebert review of the newest Tarantino flick. Anyone have a link?

lol--tryhard "anti-SJW" loony toons always need a soapbox. Anywhere they can find one.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Wait, nobody told me Roger Ebert came back to life??!?! Zombiebert!

KT

He endured a long medical battle with courage and class, so I hope he'll forgive me for saying that he tried to keep his chin up, until he couldn't.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I've been binging on Mad Men the past few weeks. I'm up to season 3 now and I can't believe I never watched this show before. It's great. I am seriously impressed at how well they seemed to nail EVERYTHING from the time period (or so I imagine). It takes a little bit to get going, but once it does it is hard to stop.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
QT has admitted he's a liberal (look it up) and that he's all about BLM so not even sure why you're debating his views.
I'm not. You implied that the resulting MOVIE was a liberal slanted BLM-propaganda hit piece. There isn't a shred of reality to support that claim and your own quote of QT even directly refutes it.

This flick is simply a liberal whodunit try-hard "western" so if you're into that, then go waste 3 hours - be my guest. Even the lingo is off - notice how some of the characters even talk like they're from an inner city. For example,
when black Minnie says "Ask me if my ass is fat" in a complimentary way.
People didn't talk like that back then,...
OMG! QT took a stylish liberty with a line of dialog to make a movie he thinks is cool?! STOP THE MOTHER F**KING PRESSES!

How DARE QT do something stylish and unrealistic with his films! The nerve of that guy. :rolleyes:

not to mention
Bob's "mexican" accent was horrible
. Yes, I live with hispanics so I'm a pretty good judge of that. Otherwise the acting was solid even if the plot was meaningless.
It's laughable because no one cares, but let's pretend we do: How do you know what Mexicans sounded like in the 1800s? You know, Americans sounded different in the '20s and sounded different in the '60s and sounded different again in the last decade. Heck, he was probably supposed to be faking the accent anyway. If you want to talk about accents, Ichinisan pointed out that the girl inviting them inside Minnie's Haberdashery was New Zealand and not Australia before the plot did (based on nothing more than her accent). Yes, mofo was talking in a movie theater. Shame on Ichinisan.

Even Roger Ebert thought the movie sucked and called it "Hipster Misogyny". I can see his point although it's a little more realistic that
women were viewed as expendable back then
. Kind of like arguing about how many times the N word was used, that is part of the realism. However,
someone getting their nuts blown off, in a pool of blood and not dying and then becoming the hero of the story while sharpshooting everyone
= "full retard". QT is better than this.
Roger Ebert is dead. The website is like HuffPo. Some idiot who reinforces what you want to believe got posted there. Whoop-de-do. QT movies are hyper-violent bloody fantasies and you are concerned with realism. I think that scene pretty firmly established how difficult/unlikely it was. As I recall,
the dude was going in and out of consciousness and the person he saved thought he was out of luck.
It was suspenseful particularly because the resolution was unlikely and unexpected.

Going against stereotypes is exactly something a liberal SJW would do when making a BLM-themed film, because "diversity". But you see it as a clever part of the story. Yes, if you are a hipster. QT is so brilliant! Yes, we've
never seen minorities+whites become allies before in a film.
It's promoting diversity while still preserving a BLM superhero fantasy! Automatic 10/10 from liberals. :biggrin:

Do you think I'm a librul? Where is this preserved BLM fantasy? I see a detestable black person who lies to manipulate people and loves killing white people. I also see a detestable white person who is a hateful bigot who killed black people. Both end up
being unlikely allies
against something completely unrelated, your narrative is blown to smithereens, and yet you continue believing it? It's detestable that you would deliberately take his words and twist them to mean the exact opposite of what he said and then defend your actions with more lies. Seriously: SCREW YOU.

Last edited:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Admitted he's a liberal? Jesus, you must be fun at parties. Why don't you confine yourself to reviewing more ideologically pure movies, like Triumph of the Will?

Or maybe amuse us with your review of Blazing Saddles, and how those shiftless minorities make such trouble for the job creators?
Perk recommending Nazi films for me, now we've seen it all - maybe you got this idea from tarantino because he claims america has a "white supremacy problem":
https://youtu.be/UWwJZe-_FzY
Even his dad had to apologize for his dumb ass.

Not to mention he most likely made Hateful Eight because blacks were pissed at him for Django and the fact he seeks approval by jive talking like an idiot.
https://youtu.be/6mzqahILpAs

tarantino supporting movements/ideologies that I think are garbage = I'm done with his crap unless he puts out something on the level of pulp fiction. Too much better shit out there.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I'm not. You implied that the resulting MOVIE was a liberal slanted BLM-propaganda hit piece. There isn't a shred of reality to support that claim and your own quote of QT even directly refutes it.

OMG! QT took a stylish liberty with a line of dialog to make a movie he thinks is cool?! STOP THE MOTHER F**KING PRESSES!

How DARE QT do something stylish and unrealistic with his films! The nerve of that guy. :rolleyes:

It's laughable because no one cares, but let's pretend we do: How do you know what Mexicans sounded like in the 1800s? You know, Americans sounded different in the '20s and sounded different in the '60s and sounded different again in the last decade. Heck, he was probably supposed to be faking the accent anyway. If you want to talk about accents, Ichinisan pointed out that the girl inviting them inside Minnie's Haberdashery was New Zealand and not Australia before the plot did (based on nothing more than her accent). Yes, mofo was talking in a movie theater. Shame on Ichinisan.

Roger Ebert is dead. The website is like HuffPo. Some idiot who reinforces what you want to believe got posted there. Whoop-de-do. QT movies are hyper-violent bloody fantasies and you are concerned with realism. I think that scene pretty firmly established how difficult/unlikely it was. As I recall,
the dude was going in and out of consciousness and the person he saved thought he was out of luck.
It was suspenseful particularly because the resolution was unlikely and unexpected.

Do you think I'm a librul? Where is this preserved BLM fantasy? I see a detestable black person who lies to manipulate people and loves killing white people. I also see a detestable white person who is a hateful bigot who killed black people. Both end up
being unlikely allies
against something completely unrelated, your narrative is blown to smithereens, and yet you continue believing it? It's detestable that you would deliberately take his words and twist them to mean the exact opposite of what he said and then defend your actions with more lies. Seriously: SCREW YOU.
Wow, looks like we've found a true QT fanboy here and I've touched a nerve. Screw you? What are we, in 3rd grade?
1) If you read my above post, you know why he made Minnie talk like an urban black from 2016 in a "western" that takes place 150 years in the past. He himself is trying to talk urban whenever he can. It's hard for a viewer to enact verisimilitude when the director is stupidly injecting modern language. You even gave an example yourself.
2) If you read my post above, you know why he probably made this as a BLM fantasy movie and thinks he needs to fight "white supremacy" which controls america. lol.
3) I never called you liberal, but posted that the ingredients
(minorities befriending whites while minority kills all other evil confederate whites)
for the movie is probably why liberals would give it 10/10. So if you gave it 10/10, I'm seeing why it touched a nerve. And if you gave it 10/10, your taste is lacking. No offense.
4) You viewed the main character as a detestable black? More like a tarantino anti-"white supremacy" fantasy fulfilled -
kill as many whites as possible by allegedly burning them (remember they were both confederate AND union whites), have a helpless naked white give you head before you kill him, and finally make said black hero a sharpshooter even when his nuts are hilariously blown off and not make him unconscious after 1 minute from pain and blood loss
. QT has insulted everyone's intelligence with his fantasy to probably appease black critics like Spike Lee. And last I checked, the normal rules of bleeding still applied to most of his films except this dumpster fire. Why the change? hmmm.
5) You also pinged on another reason why the movie was hilariously stupid.
The white sheriff was at our hero's throat in the carriage after finding out his confederate brethren were burned alive. As well as his good general confederate buddy who was murdered by him in front of his face. Yet he doesn't kill our black hero when he gets the chance? No way in hell. If this was really "frontier justice" he would have killed all of them, especially including a black who killed his confederate friends. You are drinking tarantino's fantasy kool aid hardcore if you believed that they became best friends in the course of 30 minutes and that sheriffs back then didn't murder people in cold blood and money didn't matter even more than it does today.
6) rogerebert.com, not roger ebert the person. Duh. Look at the url, it shouldve been obvious what I meant. And that writer still made good points about the fact that all the women (4 of them to be exact) die with the main woman dying a slow and tortuous death. I think it was authentic for the time (women were viewed as expendable) but apparently women also think it's unnecessarily misogynistic.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Perk recommending Nazi films for me, now we've seen it all - maybe you got this idea from tarantino because he claims america has a "white supremacy problem":
https://youtu.be/UWwJZe-_FzY
Even his dad had to apologize for his dumb ass.

Not to mention he most likely made Hateful Eight because blacks were pissed at him for Django and the fact he seeks approval by jive talking like an idiot.

tarantino supporting movements/ideologies that I think are garbage = I'm done with his crap unless he puts out somethaing on the level of pulp fiction. Too much better shit out there.

You may not have noticed, but your ideological preoccupations have turned you into a giant asshole who can't even discuss a freaking Hollywood movie without barking like a baboon in heat.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon II 6/10

sequel to the 2000 movie.

opening scene doesn't bode well for this movie:
I like the flashy fight sequences but when the gang attacks they fight one on one vs the star while the rest just stand around. :mad: WTF? thought that died last century with the old Chinese kung fu movies.

they Should have consulted Jackie chan on how to depict a real multi vs one kung fu sequence.

update:
Blind woman: "send the boy. him and sword are bound by fate. I've seen it."
some powerful warlord listens to a blind woman he's never met before because?
also, cheesy line

update2:
finished it.
didn't live up to the original. not even close.
6/10.
if it were a generic kung fu action flick, it would have been 7.5/10.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
:rolleyes:

The black man and woman at the ticket counter said: "DID YOU LIKE DJANGO UNCHAINED?! This is made by the same guy! You'll LOVE it!"

The movie surpassed all expectations. It's one of my favorite movies EVER.

I identify more with Libertarian ideals. Definitely not a big-government left-wing liberal here.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The white sheriff was at our hero's throat in the carriage after finding out his confederate brethren were burned alive. As well as his good general confederate buddy who was murdered by him in front of his face. Yet he doesn't kill our black hero when he gets the chance? No way in hell. If this was really "frontier justice" he would have killed all of them, especially including a black who killed his confederate friends. You are drinking tarantino's fantasy kool aid hardcore if you believed that they became best friends in the course of 30 minutes and that sheriffs back then didn't murder people in cold blood and money didn't matter even more than it does today.
They didn't get over their differences.
All they knew is that neither one of them had poisoned the coffee

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Coincidence? I came across this video the other day while searching on Google. I thought it was one of the worst I've ever seen. I immediately regretted watching it and giving them a hit.

Every video I've ever seen from Watch Mojo just seems like they're phoning it in. The video clips in the background usually have have nothing to do with the topic.

Their content reminds me of worst-of-the-worst clickbait with very little effort. Like Buzzfeed bullshit.

I got a kick out of it, but ok :)

I really want to see The Witch myself, have mentioned it.

Spotlight - Good flick. Great story that must be told. 7.5/10

I fell asleep, I'll put it right up there with the last Godzilla and not even rate it.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You may not have noticed, but your ideological preoccupations have turned you into a giant asshole who can't even discuss a freaking Hollywood movie without barking like a baboon in heat.

I've told him in the past maybe he should just stick to doing Squats, got me maybe there are roid rage steroids involved, got me.

Is a bit bad when it flows over from P&N into even a movie thread.

Bad Form.

Just speculation I guess.

():)

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
you guys need to
1) stop talking about H8
2) watch Diablo (2015)
3) come back and compare the two

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
spot on

I've told him in the past maybe he should just stick to doing Squats, got me maybe there are roid rage steroids involved, got me.

Is a bit bad when it flows over from P&N into even a movie thread.

Bad Form.

Just speculation I guess.

():)

how I have diagnosed most of his posts. Talk about derailing a movie thread. I will stop here, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.