NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 487 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wait . . . WHAT?

01a5be247018fe84306f49f2c1c98fd0.jpg

that's way more mid/late 70s than 80s :)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I didn't like that guy at all. Well, I liked him, but I thought his part was crap. Too much of an over-exited kid about everything (though she was in parts, as well). Their sudden buddyiness was just very strange to me.

I thought Daisy was fantastic though.

Honestly, if the shot where Finn shouted "Man! that's some pilot!" [doe eyes] was cut, it would have gone a long way to improving that character.

What about the 'my name is FN554643. Hmm, Finn, I'm going to call you Finn. I like that' line. Wow, what a bunch of hackey bullshit. I mean, I know it's a kids movie, but come on.

Wait . . . WHAT?

01a5be247018fe84306f49f2c1c98fd0.jpg

Do you catalogue all of your clothes like that, or just the suits?

KT

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
They really drained the life out of the film, whatever it was. I hate that, because I love those characters and of course Harrison Ford, but at some point you just have to realize that it ain't 1980 anymore.
that's way more mid/late 70s than 80s :)

:colbert:

Do you catalogue all of your clothes like that, or just the suits?

You should see what I do with my vintage underwear . . . well, maybe not. D:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Star Wars: Rebels- episode "The Honorable Ones" 5/10
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/25/star-wars-rebels-the-honorable-ones-review

agent Kallus and Zeb are marooned on a planet.
they need each other to survive.

we find out Kallus wasn't always evil.
the turning point was when his injured men were executed/murdered by Rebels of Zeb's race.

in the end, they have mutual respect w/each other, ala Enemy Mine and BattleStar Galatica (original series).

meh.
main antagonist for the show now has 2nd thoughts about the Empire.

And no subtlety about that glowing rock that Kallus bought back from the planet that he thinks is worthless yet the show displays it prominently making it obvious it's important in a future episode.
meh.

also:
why set the trap at the location of the Empire's super secret construction site for
the DEATHSTAR?!
Why didn't Kallus's superiors slap him across the head and say "what are you stupid using that location?!"

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Hateful 8. 8/10. Was a good watch. Great characters and great dialogue. Some of the make up for the gorey bits looked a bit shit, which spoiled it a bit.

Deadpool. 10/10. Great film to watch with your mates, unless your wife has a great/dark sense of humour. Not laughed that hard at a film in a long time.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
This is one of the best WatchMojos' I've seen in awhile, thought I'd mention it.

Top 10 Movie Leaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6uTVIhDK4&list=RDjsKBWGxWPk0#t=425.092108

Coincidence? I came across this video the other day while searching on Google. I thought it was one of the worst I've ever seen. I immediately regretted watching it and giving them a hit.

Every video I've ever seen from Watch Mojo just seems like they're phoning it in. The video clips in the background usually have have nothing to do with the topic.

Their content reminds me of worst-of-the-worst clickbait with very little effort. Like Buzzfeed bullshit.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Uhhh no.
I mean "destroyed" as in he crushed it. He killed it. He owned it.
He was great.
Finn was crap and dragged the entire movie down. A pussy so scared of the empire that he wanted to run as far away as he could and needed a prepubescent girl to convince him otherwise. Also stupidity like him fighting a jedi (who he witnessed firsthand that can stop blaster shots with his mind) which also makes no sense given that his character was a coward for most of the movie. Just a dumb, scared character. So maybe I just didn't like the character, so it's hard to not be biased on the acting quality. I'd have to watch one of his other movies to decide.

Harrison Ford gave the movie some much needed oomph with his usual Solo schtick but even he couldn't save it. He is an old man after all. Just a stupid movie with an emo and not scary villain, rehashed plot and holes bigger than the death star.

5.5/10 but mainly for the decent special effects and music. The girl wasn't bad either but her character seemed like the writers were parodying a feminist fantasy. Was chuckling for most of the movie.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Interstellar 5/10

Finally watched this, the first 48 minutes two days ago, the final 2 hours last night. 2 hours 48 minutes! Too long.

Look, the first 40 minutes were good, and mainly because of the performance of Matthew McConaughey. Unfortunately, once NASA became part of the equation, MM's character lost its footing entirely. All other characterization was weak in this film.

To me, The Martian was a great sci fi space adventure. Interstellar, represents, well, better than Star Wars but still pretty bad. The science, well some of it has some credence, but by and large it's just BS. And the ending was horrible, just horrible, especially all that floating in a fish bowl library type thing which seemed to just go on and on. Pathetic. Ghosts! Give me a break.

If I ever watch it again I hope I have a big bottle of dramamine right at hand. :D

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
I'd say, "But, but, but . . . it's highbrow and my brows are high, but I went into watching Babadook with the same sort of expectations, and felt let down.

Maybe this film is better/different. <shrug>

I, too was disappointed by The Babadook (I remain mystified by people who call that one of the best horror movies of the last decade), but this is an entirely different sort of movie. It's funny - while I walked out of it somewhat disappointed, it has stayed in my mind and I would be interested to see it again. It's a really thought-provoking film.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Hateful Eight - 5/10 Drawn out, inconsistent story with tarantino's expected liberal SJW twist.
The director also weighed in on whether his new film will reflect the zeitgeist of the &#8220;Black Lives Matter&#8221; movement and the country&#8217;s growing awareness of racially biased policing.

&#8220;It was already in the script. It was already in the footage we shot. ...

The acting and score were the only half decent things in this movie but almost 3 hrs is way too long for a pseudo western with a whodunit plot. I've been more entertained watching Sherlock, Murder, She Wrote, or Columbo for whodunits. Will be the last Tarantino film I watch short of one getting an 85+ on metacritic. Not down with directors pushing their political views on everyone blatantly and nonetheless taking 3 hours to do it. Skip this one.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Hateful Eight - 5/10 Drawn out, inconsistent story with tarantino's expected liberal SJW twist.

The acting and score were the only half decent things in this movie but almost 3 hrs is way too long for a pseudo western with a whodunit plot. I've been more entertained watching Sherlock, Murder, She Wrote, or Columbo for whodunits. Will be the last Tarantino film I watch short of one getting an 85+ on metacritic. Not down with directors pushing their political views on everyone blatantly and nonetheless taking 3 hours to do it. Skip this one.

LOL! It's the antithesis of a liberal SJW twist. It's just like how some people seem to think South Park supports ultra-liberal viewpoints when it does just the opposite. There are also those on the right claiming to be "South Park Conservatives" with no idea just how Libertarian South Park's creators are.

I do notice Tarantino's North v. South trope as a struggle he assumes his viewers can/should all support a bit like others relying on Nazi's as the perpetual bad guy we can all agree to hate. At least he pushes liberal buttons at least as often as conservatives. Finding a few examples in his personal life where he supports Democrats, Obama, etc does not mean his films are filled with liberal messages. His films often show people legally enacting their justice through freedom and not relying on the government. Bouts hunters, profiteers, etc are a reoccurring theme. Frontier justice: the very opposite of SJW justice.

I can see how people assume an SJW slant with revenge violence in movies like Django but, if you look deeper, it falls apart.

Last edited:

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
LOL! It's the antithesis of a liberal SJW twist. It's just like how some people seem to think South Park supports ultra-liberal viewpoints when it does just the opposite. There are also those on the right claiming to be "South Park Conservatives" with no idea just how Libertarian South Park's creators are.

I do notice Tarantino's North v. South trope as a struggle he assumes his viewers can/should all support a bit like others relying on Nazi's as the perpetual bad guy we can all agree to hate. At least he pushes liberal buttons at least as often as conservatives. Finding a few examples in his personal life where he supports Democrats, Obama, etc does not mean his films are filled with liberal messages. His films often show people legally enacting their justice through freedom and not relying on the government. Frontier justice.

I can see how people assume an SJW slant with revenge violence in movies like Django but, if you look deeper, it falls apart.
Uh, if you watched the movie then the black lives matter FUD is evident and he even said it was in the script. Hence why I give it a low score, it wasn't realistic either.
A black guy is shot in the nuts and bleeding out everywhere but he's still conscious enough to shoot evil white confederates with precision and able to guard prisoners while laying down? hahahahaha. He took black lives matter to a new level of stupid.
Which is why I gave this movie a low rating, it's a liberal director playing out nothing more than a dumb superhero BLM fantasy shrouded in the guise of a real "story". Other than the acting and music, it had little substance story-wise. At least Kill Bill was semi-believable with his feminist hero fantasy. I expect over the top with Tarantino but not over the top where it goes "full retard". I'd watch zoolander 2 if that was my thing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I like how everything now is a liberal SJW conspiracy.

Oh wait, nothing is--only drooling idiots think such things.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Help, I'm being ideologically oppressed by a Quentin Tarrantino movie. Quick, someone build a wall to protect me, the tin foil no longer works. :p

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Uh, if you watched the movie then the black lives matter FUD is evident and he even said it was in the script. Hence why I give it a low score, it wasn't realistic either.
A black guy is shot in the nuts and bleeding out everywhere but he's still conscious enough to shoot evil white confederates with precision and able to guard prisoners while laying down? hahahahaha. He took black lives matter to a new level of stupid.
Which is why I gave this movie a low rating, it's a liberal director playing out nothing more than a dumb superhero BLM fantasy shrouded in the guise of a real "story". Other than the acting and music, it had little substance story-wise. At least Kill Bill was semi-believable with his feminist hero fantasy. I expect over the top with Tarantino but not over the top where it goes "full retard". I'd watch zoolander 2 if that was my thing.
Way to read into something to twist it into the exact opposite of what he said. :rolleyes:

They asked if he put it in the script in response to what was happening with the BLM stuff and he said no, it was already in the script. *gasp*

Also, the "evil" confederate is the one who
teams up with the black guy in the end and they both seem to have a change of heart toward each other. They also reveal that our "hero" black character is actually pretty disputable and just likes killing white guys.
Once again: the SJW-propaganda idea falls apart when you actually look into it. It defied that expectation with the character we are supposed to hate and I love the movie that much more for doing so.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Way to read into something to twist it into the exact opposite of what he said. :rolleyes:

They asked if he put it in the script in response to what was happening with the BLM stuff and he said no, it was already in the script. *gasp*

Also, the "evil" confederate is the one
who teams up with the black guy in the end and they both seem to have a change of heart toward each other
. Once again: that idea falls apart when you look into it. It defied that expectation with the character we are supposed to hate and I love the movie that much more for doing so.

The funny thing is, lets for just a second imagine that that is what QT did intend and purposely put it in the script.

Did ANYONE notice it or catch it? I sure a hell didn't.

Sadly, no matter how hard people try, everything doesn't have to be SOMETHING.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The funny thing is, lets for just a second imagine that that is what QT did intend and purposely put it in the script.

Did ANYONE notice it or catch it? I sure a hell didn't.

Sadly, no matter how hard people try, everything doesn't have to be SOMETHING.
I had a spoiler in there that we should probably hide. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.