NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 486 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Dinner for Schmucks, 8/10. It has a few annoying over the top pranks but has lots of funny scenes and a few inspiring ones too.

Feb 10, 2000
The Witch - 7/10 - This indie "New England folktale" has the threefold honors of a) receiving Best Director at Sundance; b) being Certified Fresh at 88% on RT; and c) being endorsed by the Satanic Temple as "not only a powerful cinematic experience, but also an impressive presentation of Satanic insight that will inform contemporary discussion of religious experience."

I was perhaps overly excited by this movie before seeing it, so it left me a little flat. It includes some really amazing direction and cinematography (on what was presumably a shoestring budget), and the entire (small) cast is stellar despite a script with a fairly high degree of difficulty (the film takes place in about 1630, so the dialogue sounds more like Shakespeare than The Blair Witch Project). The film is also quite scary at times, and also surprisingly thought-provoking. I guess my beef with it was that it suffers from a certain flatness and pacing that is perhaps overly deliberate. That said, people who, like me, enjoy horror films should definitely check it out, as it's one of the most inventive and impressively-staged horror movies (if one can call it that) in recent years.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Food Truck. In my peregrinations, I have seem many. I have never seen one that was a converted RV. They have all been converted from large commercial delivery vans? Why, you may ask? Price. A used RV would be far more expensive than a used delivery van.

I'm not saying we're all wrong, but

Sabor-Columbiano.jpg

rv-before-photo.jpg

I most certainly would not buy food from either one.

Yeah, it's just a truck...a shell that became something else. Of course it can come from an RV, a trailer, purpose-built for food...what's the difference?

People convert trucks to do all sorts of shit. Why can't an RV be stripped and the interior replaced with restaurant-grade appliances?

These people converted a tractor-trailer into an aquarium:
maxresdefault.jpg

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The Witch - 7/10 - This indie "New England folktale" has the threefold honors of a) receiving Best Director at Sundance; b) being Certified Fresh at 88% on RT; and c) being endorsed by the Satanic Temple as "not only a powerful cinematic experience, but also an impressive presentation of Satanic insight that will inform contemporary discussion of religious experience."

I was perhaps overly excited by this movie before seeing it, so it left me a little flat. It includes some really amazing direction and cinematography (on what was presumably a shoestring budget), and the entire (small) cast is stellar despite a script with a fairly high degree of difficulty (the film takes place in about 1630, so the dialogue sounds more like Shakespeare than The Blair Witch Project). The film is also quite scary at times, and also surprisingly thought-provoking. I guess my beef with it was that it suffers from a certain flatness and pacing that is perhaps overly deliberate. That said, people who, like me, enjoy horror films should definitely check it out, as it's one of the most inventive and impressively-staged horror movies (if one can call it that) in recent years.

People seem to be very divided on this. At first I heard nothing but good things from reviewers, but actual 'people' are saying it is boring and nothing new. I was initially pretty hyped for it, now I'm not sure what to think. Probably wait for video.

Feb 10, 2000
People seem to be very divided on this. At first I heard nothing but good things from reviewers, but actual 'people' are saying it is boring and nothing new. I was initially pretty hyped for it, now I'm not sure what to think. Probably wait for video.

I would have had a hard time giving the movie its due on video. It really requires all of your attention, and to me that's much more easily achieved in a theater than at home. I would be interested to see a "making of," because apparently director Robert Eggers did extensive research over the course of years. That being said, I think an audience expecting too much (as I was) will likely be let down by this movie, and I certainly wouldn't push anyone who isn't interested to see it.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

I'd say, "But, but, but . . . it's highbrow and my brows are high, but I went into watching Babadook with the same sort of expectations, and felt let down.

Maybe this film is better/different. <shrug>

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I've heard comparisons to Bergman's Cries and Whispers. I'm intrigued.

KT

Jun 18, 2000
I know I'm late to this, but:

Star Wars: Force Awakens -- 7/10

I really liked this movie. I wanted to give it an 8, but the somewhat rehashed plot and mediocre performance of Harrison and Fisher brought it down a bit. I love those two, but they are too rigid at their ages.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I know I'm late to this, but:

Star Wars: Force Awakens -- 7/10

I really liked this movie. I wanted to give it an 8, but the somewhat rehashed plot and mediocre performance of Harrison and Fisher brought it down a bit. I love those two, but they are too rigid at their ages.

THANK YOU.

Everyone has said how great he was in it... how he brought the Solo character back to life. I just did not see it. As you stated, he's too rigid.

Everyone thought Fisher sucked (which she did).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yeah I agree that Fisher and Harrison weren't that good in the new Star Wars. It was nice to see them again but they were kinda "meh."

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Yeah I agree that Fisher and Harrison weren't that good in the new Star Wars. It was nice to see them again but they were kinda "meh."

Hmm. I think the movie would have been complete suckage without Ford in it. He at least brought a little charisma to the movie. Daisy has some charm too I suppose but the rest of the cast was unremarkable to me. Makes me a bit worried about the next couple.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hmm. I think the movie would have been complete suckage without Ford in it. He at least brought a little charisma to the movie. Daisy has some charm too I suppose but the rest of the cast was unremarkable to me. Makes me a bit worried about the next couple.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Boyega had no charisma or charm? The guy destroyed every single scene he was in.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Finn. The Stormtrooper.

Yeah, I guess he was decent too. I just don't remember any scenes he was in. I can't really explain it, it's like nothing from that movie stuck with me. I felt like it was OK at the time, but man it really just didn't have any lasting effect on me.

At least when the BR comes out I will be entertained again!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Agreed.

KT

Edit: I actually don't really blame the actors, I think the writing was just really shitty so they did not have a lot of room to do good work.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
THANK YOU.

Everyone has said how great he was in it... how he brought the Solo character back to life. I just did not see it. As you stated, he's too rigid.

Everyone thought Fisher sucked (which she did).

They really drained the life out of the film, whatever it was. I hate that, because I love those characters and of course Harrison Ford, but at some point you just have to realize that it ain't 1980 anymore.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Boyega had no charisma or charm? The guy destroyed every single scene he was in.

I didn't like that guy at all. Well, I liked him, but I thought his part was crap. Too much of an over-exited kid about everything (though she was in parts, as well). Their sudden buddyiness was just very strange to me.

I thought Daisy was fantastic though.

Honestly, if the shot where Finn shouted "Man! that's some pilot!" [doe eyes] was cut, it would have gone a long way to improving that character.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
They really drained the life out of the film, whatever it was. I hate that, because I love those characters and of course Harrison Ford, but at some point you just have to realize that it ain't 1980 anymore.

No freaking kidding; I wish more people did.

KT

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I didn't like that guy at all. Well, I liked him, but I thought his part was crap. Too much of an over-exited kid about everything (though she was in parts, as well). Their sudden buddyiness was just very strange to me.

I thought Daisy was fantastic though.

Honestly, if the shot where Finn shouted "Man! that's some pilot!" [doe eyes] was cut, it would have gone a long way to improving that character.

Ok, yeah... that line/shot was horrible. But you have to love when he's begging BB8 to give him the system name of where the resistance is at -- "Droid, Please!"

I thought Ridley was WAY more "over-exited kid". She was like mildly ridiculous in some scenes. She just got this painfully giddy look on her face that annoyed me at some times.

Status
Not open for further replies.