NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 480 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
went digging through the oldies and picked up
All The President's Men http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074119/reference
robert redford and sidekick dustin hoffman calmly and politely ask one question after another to unveil the Watergate scandal.

defo a worthy watch, with barely any action the film is yet gripping and doesn't miss a beat.
i also love staring into the past :) things like that wouldn't happen today in the world after the Data Protection Act.

8/10 or 9/10 if you are a scriptwriter.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
defo a worthy watch, with barely any action the film is yet gripping and doesn't miss a beat.
i also love staring into the past :) things like that wouldn't happen today in the world after the Data Protection Act.

esplain

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

they just phone people up at the office, they are in a meeting, the receptionist tells him with whom, their home phone numbers, what they are talking about. they even volunteer information that haven't been asked for.

anyway, here is a big list:

Vynil

will not be watching, for the same reason as Mad Men. I know that time period, that lifestyle, and this show does not impress me and does nothing for me if not give me bad memories.
also, their depiction of the 70s is exaggerated and unrealistic, and Olivia Wilde makes my boner hurt.

Horace & Pete

can't even tell what this show is, all i know is that there is no score, it's all shot in one location, and steve buscemi looks like he's about to die any second now.

11 22 63 (or 22 11 63 for normal people)

period drama with a shitton of characters on the backdrop of the kennedy assassination.
again, i don't have time to follow the fictitious stories of a dozen characters all while waiting for the show to tell *me* a story.
recommended if you liked Lost.

Not Safe With Nikki Glaser

some weird chick turns sex into the most boring and PG13 show ever.

Those Who Can't

another show about a workplace filled with clueless idiots, but less funny than Superstore.

what a day for S01E01 shows.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Vynil

will not be watching, for the same reason as Mad Men. I know that time period, that lifestyle, and this show does not impress me and does nothing for me if not give me bad memories.
also, their depiction of the 70s is exaggerated and unrealistic, and Olivia Wilde makes my boner hurt.

Not sure if that is really a bad thing, or if the show is really that over exaggerated. The 70's were pretty crazy from what I remember :)

I guess I have never taken the time to watch Mad Men yet myself, even with all the raves it has gotten.

Will be watching more of Vinyl myself at any rate.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Those Who Can't another show about a workplace filled with clueless idiots, but less funny than Superstore.
This show is really awful. I was hoping it would be something along the lines of TVLand's Teachers. That is really funny. Every character is sort of a caricature, but it still works. I laugh out loud at least a few times every show. It's not Hot In Cleveland, but very good.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Deadpool - 9/10 - Loved it. There were parts that had me rolling. Even the wife liked it and she is way over the superhero movies. I am not sure I can go back to the convoluted PG-13 hero movies now.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I'm kinda "eh" on Vinyl after the first episode. We watched it last night on HBO Now (app LOOKS pretty on the Apple TV 4, but as with other video apps *cough* Hulu *cough*, the user interface doesn't make any sense).

Anyway, Vinyl is almost TOO much craziness. They could stand to tone down the use of the F word a bit ... but that seems to be Scorsese's thing. It doesn't bother me used in moderation or when there's a reason (someone's upset, making a point of emphasis, etc), but in Vinyl it's 90% there just for the sake of being there. It's irritating. Story-wise ... I don't know how to feel. I don't like that half the musicians are real and the other half are fake. The blues guy ... I'd have bought the shit out of that album if it were real.

Maybe my expectations were a bit high, maybe it's because I didn't grow up in the 70s, but overall I was a bit disappointed.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Vinyl just started on HBO last night, I really liked it.

I'm not going to rate yet as just the first episode, but it started well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3186130/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.cutprintfilm.com/tv/vinyl-review/

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tv-review-vinyl-210

I'm kinda "eh" on Vinyl after the first episode. We watched it last night on HBO Now (app LOOKS pretty on the Apple TV 4, but as with other video apps *cough* Hulu *cough*, the user interface doesn't make any sense).

Anyway, Vinyl is almost TOO much craziness. They could stand to tone down the use of the F word a bit ... but that seems to be Scorsese's thing. It doesn't bother me used in moderation or when there's a reason (someone's upset, making a point of emphasis, etc), but in Vinyl it's 90% there just for the sake of being there. It's irritating. Story-wise ... I don't know how to feel. I don't like that half the musicians are real and the other half are fake. The blues guy ... I'd have bought the shit out of that album if it were real.

Maybe my expectations were a bit high, maybe it's because I didn't grow up in the 70s, but overall I was a bit disappointed.

Hmm, damn, I do want to watch this one. The ads and subkect matter looked intriguing.

I'm over Lucifer. I hate shows that keep playing around a plot point for no reason.

Yep, we did not even make it through the second episode. Game over man.

KT

dat722

Nov 12, 2015
Spectre 7/10

Skyfall set the par for all Bond movies for me. Spectre felt as if it was missing some elements that made Skyfall so great.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Creed -- 8/10

Pretty predictable but boxing genre movies usually seem to be ("Raging Bull" maybe not so much but the first and only time I seen that was in film theory class in college and it's been a decade so I don't really remember it, lol).

Michael B. Jordan rocked in this movie, though I like him as an actor anyway. Man he got fucking jacked for this movie. He lifts, bro. There were a lot of long takes which were great, it gave the movie more of a realistic feel I thought. Stallone was good in it too, better than usual. Good stuff!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, damn, I do want to watch this one. The ads and subkect matter looked intriguing.

KT

Vinyl's first ep is waiting on my DVR. I absolutely adore Bobby Carnavale. He brings a natural energy to his roles that I love. He was endearing and lovable in The Station Agent and psychotically menacing in Boardwalk Empire. That's range, baby. :thumbsup:

And, hey, I personally experienced the gonzo craziness of the sixties and seventies . . . maybe not on the level of hobnobbing with the owners of major record labels, but still . . .

Nevertheless, I find myself a bit hesitant to watch Vinyl. I fear I may be disappointed. When all you highlight is the coke-fueled craziness and wide lapel crassness, you risk putting forth a shallow cartoon, and pigeon-holing Carnavale as a cartoon crazy.

It's not that he doesn't do that kind of role supremely well. It's just that I feel he can do so much more. Sometimes, my action-addicted friends, less is more.

To borrow a phrase from the music industry: dynamic range. For a script, just as in music, the impact of the loudest passages is best framed by surrounding them with the quiet ones as well.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Creed -- 8/10

Pretty predictable but boxing genre movies usually seem to be ("Raging Bull" maybe not so much but the first and only time I seen that was in film theory class in college and it's been a decade so I don't really remember it, lol).

Michael B. Jordan rocked in this movie, though I like him as an actor anyway. Man he got fucking jacked for this movie. He lifts, bro. There were a lot of long takes which were great, it gave the movie more of a realistic feel I thought. Stallone was good in it too, better than usual. Good stuff!

LOVED the long-takes. I think it was his first professional fight? I thought the way it was filmed/presented was just awesome.

Thought it was a GREAT reboot of one of the greatest franchises.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Baskets -- 3 or 7/10 -- Chip Baskets flunked out of Clown School in France and returns to his native Bakersfield, where he finds barely recompensed work as a rodeo clown.

I've stuck with this through, I think, 4 episodes now. I'm more or less glad I did. It's often slow and always weird, but any show featuring the frighteningly corpulent Louie Anderson deadpan(!) playing someone's mother, complete with wigs, hats, handbags and flower print dresses, is worth at least a look-see, no?

I've never been a huge Zack Galifianakis fan. So what, Mr. Prissy-Assed Critic (he said, apparently addressing himself.) ;) Louis C. K. is one of the writer/creators, though, so there's that.

An actress named Martha Kelly is one of the best things in the show, imho.

The show is awkward and can be almost painful to sit through at times. I think I love it. :wub:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Baskets -- 3 or 7/10 -- Chip Baskets flunked out of Clown School in France and returns to his native Bakersfield, where he finds barely recompensed work as a rodeo clown.

I've stuck with this through, I think, 4 episodes now. I'm more or less glad I did. It's often slow and always weird, but any show featuring the frighteningly corpulent Louie Anderson deadpan(!) playing someone's mother, complete with wigs, hats, handbags and flower print dresses, is worth at least a look-see, no?

I've never been a huge Zack Galifianakis fan. So what, Mr. Prissy-Assed Critic (he said, apparently addressing himself.) ;) Louis C. K. is one of the writer/creators, though, so there's that.

The show is awkward and can be almost painful to sit through at times. I think I love it. :wub:

Oh, it's my favorite new show by a MILE. I understand it's a special kind of humor, but this is RIGHT up my alley. It won't last long, as the masses won't find it funny and too awkward and "weird"

Louis Anderson as his mom? Come on that is BRILLIANT and Louis NAILS it.

"Everyone is happy at Arby's, Chip!"

Show is brilliant.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

This seems right up my alley. Just need to find a moment to sit down with it. Looks awesome.

KT

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Louis Anderson as his mom? Come on that is BRILLIANT and Louis NAILS it.

He most certainly does! In a more just universe, he'd get an Emmy for best supporting actor. Just don't forget Martha Kelly as the insurance adjuster/friend. She nails her role, too! To me, she's the deapan reincarnation of a female Buster Keaton.

You know the oddest thing? I believe French intellectuals would LOVE this show, as well. Eeet speaks to the absurdity of existence! :p

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
He most certainly does! In a more just universe, he'd get an Emmy for best supporting actor. Just don't forget Martha Kelly as the insurance adjuster/friend. She nails her role, too! To me, she's the deapan reincarnation of a female Buster Keaton.

You know the oddest thing? I believe French intellectuals would LOVE this show, as well. Eeet speaks to the absurdity of existence! :p

No question he should be nominated for an Emmy. Martha Kelly, as you said, destroys her role too. And honestly, Zack kills his role too. All 3 are just perfect for their parts.

For some reason, him rollerblading kills me every time. And the episode with the Juggalo? Brilliant.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Batman vs. Superman 0/10

Because ya know... Ben Affleck

What I am expecting out of Batman vs. Superman: The movie opens with a 10 minute scene of Superman fighting some bad guy and demolishing a portion of Gotham City while he does it. Batman gets pissed, and decides that for some reason the only real solution is to put on his super-bat-suit and try punching Sups into submission (destroying even more of the city in the process). That then leads to 1.8 hours of Batman and Superman fighting, with it occasionally adding other superheroes like Wonder Woman to create a all out WWE style brawl of the Justice League Who's who. Then a plot token is dropped in their lap and they all have to band together to stop Lex Luthor who is inexplicably difficult to bring down for a group of people that just spent the last hour and a half demolishing a city with their bare hands.

If you think this is good or not will be determined by how much you want to see Superman and Batman throw down, because that is the only real plot of this movie.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
What I am expecting out of Batman vs. Superman: The movie opens with a 10 minute scene of Superman fighting some bad guy and demolishing a portion of Gotham City while he does it. Batman gets pissed, and decides that for some reason the only real solution is to put on his super-bat-suit and try punching Sups into submission (destroying even more of the city in the process). That then leads to 1.8 hours of Batman and Superman fighting, with it occasionally adding other superheroes like Wonder Woman to create a all out WWE style brawl of the Justice League Who's who. Then a plot token is dropped in their lap and they all have to band together to stop Lex Luthor who is inexplicably difficult to bring down for a group of people that just spent the last hour and a half demolishing a city with their bare hands.

If you think this is good or not will be determined by how much you want to see Superman and Batman throw down, because that is the only real plot of this movie.

Doomsday is the plot token which was revealed in the trailer. Don't forget AquaMan and Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.