NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 472 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Watched Bone Tomahawk a bit ago on Amazon Prime.

I'll go 8.5/10, is a weird mix of True Grit meets The Hills Have Eyes, heh.

I liked it better than The Hateful Eight really, but I'll get scoffed at :)

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Angie Tribeca -- 7.5/10 -- One of the better goofball/gonzo comedies. Loose. Always swinging for the gonzo fences, whiffing and looking bad a lot, but hitting some dingers. It's on TBS. The whole first season is available on FIOS on demand. Stars Rashida Jones, who just does it for moi. I'm watching ep2 now, which has some word play repartee that reminds me of Airplane. Your mileage may vary.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Age of Adaline 7/10

It's a romantic flick with a touch of science fiction, with Dumas narrating; far better than any other romantic flick your significant other will MAKE you watch, so 7/10.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl 8./10

Take the overhyped Fault in our Stars and spend millions less for a better film. *if you are over 40 like me, get over the first 30 minutes before returning it; far better than than the Tripe in our Stars.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Eh I haven't been able to really get into Billions. I'm only halfway through episode 2, but I'd have stopped watching if it weren't for the cast. Damien Lewis & Paul Giamatti, plus David Costabile ... this show should be FANTASTIC.

Instead, it's in that place where I'm going to keep watching, not because I love it, but because I don't dislike it. I'll give it time.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I watched part of the 2nd episode of billions and it felt kinda silly. like fugazi sorkin with more cursing.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Eh I haven't been able to really get into Billions. I'm only halfway through episode 2, but I'd have stopped watching if it weren't for the cast. Damien Lewis & Paul Giamatti, plus David Costabile ... this show should be FANTASTIC.

Instead, it's in that place where I'm going to keep watching, not because I love it, but because I don't dislike it. I'll give it time.

^^^ This. It's not bad, but it's basically a soap opera wherein all the high profile conflicts are so painfully telegraphed in advance that it becomes predictable and boring. It's Empire for white folks.

And . . . I'm sorry, but to me Paul Giamatti is a ham, and not even a quality ham like Al Pacino, but a sad canned ham (water added) from the dollar store, or maybe just a tofurkey.

All that said, it's not that bad, it just could have been a whole lot better.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
^^^ This. It's not bad, but it's basically a soap opera wherein all the high profile conflicts are so painfully telegraphed in advance that it becomes predictable and boring. It's Empire for white folks.

And . . . I'm sorry, but to me Paul Giamatti is a ham, and not even a quality ham like Al Pacino, but a sad canned ham (water added) from the dollar store, or maybe just a tofurkey.

All that said, it's not that bad, it just could have been a whole lot better.

I support this post.

Billions is entirely forgettable. I've already crossed it off my list.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
he's been doing 3~5 film a year since 1995, maybe he just phones it in sometimes. he's been decent in a few films, which i presently can't remember because they don't exist.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The Place Beyond the Pines -- 8/10

Pretty good movie with a lot of big name actors/actresses. Gosling really plays the quiet, nice guy pretty well
(though he wasn't all nice in this, heh)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ugh ...

i watched (half of; but my roommate who stayed up to watch the rest assures me it doesn't get better) Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3398252/reference

i don't know what's up with the IMDb votes, but this film was bad, bad bad, like Yahtzee says, not wishy-washy bad, but proper kick to the nutsack bad.

horribly acted (goes without saying), the worst.audio.track.ever, can't even tell what people are saying half of the time.
as slow as paint drying, extremely redundant, and waaaay too long at 90 minutes, SC2: DV thinks it's Kung Fury, but it's not.

horrible and NOT funny: 4/10 i do not recommend this, not even as a joke.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ok, i watched

Moonwalkers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718440/reference

once again, wtf is wrong with the IMDb ratings.

Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) at the helm of this absurdist comedy, Ron Perlman supporting(his best role to date), it's the story of the (1969) US govt trying to hire Stanley Kubrik to film a fake moon landing, just in case the real one didn't work out, but a useless stoner (Grint) passes his bearded friend off as Kubrik, steals the funds for the project, and gets busted almost immediately by the CIA man sent to set up the project (Perlman). Money gone, they need to find a way to produce the film anyways.

The rest is an insane trip into a deformed 60s London hippy culture, a version of Lock & Stock but with more humour, better dialogue, better actors.

would recommend to (almost) anyone, 8.5/10

i mean, come on, it's got ron f* perlman hitting a bong, you gotta see this.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
ugh ...

i watched (half of; but my roommate who stayed up to watch the rest assures me it doesn't get better) Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3398252/reference

i don't know what's up with the IMDb votes, but this film was bad, bad bad, like Yahtzee says, not wishy-washy bad, but proper kick to the nutsack bad.

horribly acted (goes without saying), the worst.audio.track.ever, can't even tell what people are saying half of the time.
as slow as paint drying, extremely redundant, and waaaay too long at 90 minutes, SC2: DV thinks it's Kung Fury, but it's not.

horrible and NOT funny: 4/10 i do not recommend this, not even as a joke.

It's notoriously bad, like Troll 2. A lot of it is from RedLetterMedia talking about it on Best of the Worst or something.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
ok, i watched

Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) at the helm of this absurdist comedy, Ron Perlman supporting(his best role to date), it's the story of the (1969) US govt trying to hire Stanley Kubrik to film a fake moon landing, just in case the real one didn't work out, but a useless stoner (Grint) passes his bearded friend off as Kubrik, steals the funds for the project, and gets busted almost immediately by the CIA man sent to set up the project (Perlman). Money gone, they need to find a way to produce the film anyways.

The rest is an insane trip into a deformed 60s London hippy culture, a version of Lock & Stock but with more humour, better dialogue, better actors.

'Grats, mang, you have made me really, really want to see this. Think I'll get in the "period mood" when I do, as well. :p

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
ok, i watched

This sounds pretty damn rad. Have not even heard of it.

KT

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Lucifer (episode 2): 5/10

ugg.. it's getting worse and I'm not just talking about the bad plot for this episode.
now his sidekick Maze is starting to turn against him.

and Lucifer's 'I don't care about the consequences of abandoning Hell' attitude sounds like a typical worker who's burnt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.