NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 471 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
the screaming was annoying but could you blame him lol

Haha, no, I don't blame him. If they would have written him as a mute character though, he may have been more tolerable.

Chronicles of Shannara http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/reference

watched 10 minutes, went for a quick puke in the toilet, then turned it off.

3/10 if it looks like MTV, smells like MTV, tastes like MTV ...

I read the one trilogy of those Brooks books (maybe more, I can't recall right now) a long time ago, so I was a bit intrigued by this. Sounds like I can skip it...

KT

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Just re-watched Rounders last night. Decent movie... not an original story by any means but Matt Damon and Edward Norton were good. It's everything you'd expect from a movie where a poker player loses it all, swears off cards forever, then meets up with his old gambling partner after he gets out of jail.

7/10

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Outsiders 8/10 - WGN (Chicago station but some cable companies carry it).

I thought this was really interesting. It's about a hillbilly clan that a coal company is trying to evict from their mountain home so that they can mine. There is internal strife w/in the clan and tensions with the town in the valley. And there are suggestions of supernatural abilities but my guess is that we will see some strange things happen but they won't be explained.

This looks really different from your standard tv fare and I'm looking forward to it. It has some elements of Justify but it's much darker and more serious. It has the potential to be a great show.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Interesting...I watched 2 episodes and was mildly entertained. It's fantasy (which was unexpected) and has quite a bit of effects (which was also unexpected). Seemed like another teenager (Harry Potter, Divergent, Hunger Games) series, but it certainly isn't the worst of them (so far). Typically I would say 10 minutes isn't enough to judge anything. I too was a bit...eh...MTV...but it really isn't bad.

It's not great, but through episode 5 it's okay. And Crixus as Allanon is great.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Chronicles of Shannara http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/reference

watched 10 minutes, went for a quick puke in the toilet, then turned it off.

3/10 if it looks like MTV, smells like MTV, tastes like MTV ...

To me it seemed like they took something that could have been an interesting fantasy show and turned it into a typical MTV teen show. Like a twilight with elves. Couldn't watch more than 5 minutes.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Started watching The Wire this weekend. Only about 6 episodes in, I'd say 7/10 so far. It's not a bad show but feels dated (which it is). Funny to see the old tech they use. A few parts of the show remind me of the Sopranos (i.e. strip club front, boss being driven everywhere).

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
More serious than Justify? D:
Yeah, that wasn't the best way to describe it since Justify was more like Deadwood in terms of the style of dialog and taking a variety of amusing turns.

Outsiders is only like Justified in the sense that it deals with the same culture. But it seems to do it in a much more honest, almost docudrama sort of way. Now bear in mind I have no idea what Appalachian culture is like. I think we got some glimpses of it in Justified but Outsiders to be a more . . . let's call it "realistic" portrayal.

I'm sure we have some people here who are familiar with that part of the country. Hopefully one of them can watch the first episode and give us their perspective.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
To me it seemed like they took something that could have been an interesting fantasy show and turned it into a typical MTV teen show. Like a twilight with elves. Couldn't watch more than 5 minutes.
Oh, it's not that bad. Sure, you have all the tweener elements like love triangles, a bad daddy, etc. but for the fantasy genre, it's not bad. It's not GoT by any stretch but it's watchable and not completely predictable.

I can only imagine what you haters would say about Teen Wolf, which is also a decent fantasy show if you don't mind the tween pandering.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, that wasn't the best way to describe it since Justify was more like Deadwood in terms of the style of dialog and taking a variety of amusing turns.

Outsiders is only like Justified in the sense that it deals with the same culture. But it seems to do it in a much more honest, almost docudrama sort of way. Now bear in mind I have no idea what Appalachian culture is like. I think we got some glimpses of it in Justified but Outsiders to be a more . . . let's call it "realistic" portrayal.

I'm sure we have some people here who are familiar with that part of the country. Hopefully one of them can watch the first episode and give us their perspective.

Well, fwiw, here's the first quoted review on imdb:

I enjoyed some of the show!! The mountain people looked more like Vikings. The Mother was fake and if they can afford all of those 4 wheelers,why is she in a historic wheel chair. The mountain people where dressed like Conan The Barbarian and the sheriff had no coat at all.

I don't think the people making this show ever seen a mountain person or did any research.

I am a real fan of David Morse, starting with Saint Elsewhere. He is a great actor but, I don't think he can save this show.

I loved Justified. It gave the mountain people a fair chance.

The show was entertaining,very fictional and misleading. Good Luck, Mary

Nevertheless, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for highlighting it, I never would have known about it otherwise. Original programming on WGN, who knew? (Not me, anyway.)

Found a trailer. Looks more "Hollywood Soap Opera Set Up Confrontation" than, ummmm, serious. Justify really was serious and real life in it's portrayal of such folk, imho.

Here's a decent discussion, pro and con.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Well, fwiw, here's the first quoted review on imdb:

Nevertheless, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for highlighting it, I never would have known about it otherwise. Original programming on WGN, who knew? (Not me, anyway.)
I wouldn't pay much attention to the reviews or people saying it's not realistic unless they proffer the basis for their supposed expertise. I'm not arguing that it is but having come from the deep south originally, I didn't see anything that was grossly inconsistent. In fact, there were a lot of things that felt familiar. But that's the South, not Appalachia. Most people wouldn't make the distinction but there is one.

I didn't read all of the user reviews but some seem quite positive. Again, I don't really care what critics think as a general rule. I remember having an argument with someone about Sharknado for example. That was a fantastic movie because it was such a blatant satire of itself and the entire disaster genre. And it didn't try to hide that it was a low-budget sub-B movie.

People like and dislike things for a variety of reasons. You can try to argue that there is such a thing as objective beauty but really comes down to what you like and enjoy.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
The Visit by M.Night Shamalan. Not a bad movie overall, the charismatic kids made it palpable and funny for a creepy flick. Nice twist at the end too, I think Shamalan is getting his groove back.
7.5/10

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Started watching The Wire this weekend. Only about 6 episodes in, I'd say 7/10 so far. It's not a bad show but feels dated (which it is). Funny to see the old tech they use. A few parts of the show remind me of the Sopranos (i.e. strip club front, boss being driven everywhere).

Gets so good. Seasons 3 and 4 were the best TV I've ever seen.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Circus - The greatest political show on earth - Showtime - ?/10

I'm mentioning this just because the combination of Bloomberg TV and Showtime seems bizarre. BTV is no doubt the best business news channel available, well, compared to CNBC and Fox anyway. They have one show on politics called 'With all Due Respect.' I've watched it a couple of times but it's nothing amazing. The 2 hosts of that show seem to be featured in this series but I did just start on episode 3 so I'm not sure the whole thing is like this.

If it is then the series seems to be one long infomercial for that show. And considering the fact that hardly anyone watches BTV, despite how big their terminals are in the financial world, I thought this was very, very odd.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
You can watch the premiere of Outsiders in its entirety, apparently legally, on youtube.

watched this, good show, although it looks like one of those shows that drags on forever.

acting was really good, interesting characters, good pacing, good direction, everything which Chronicles is not.

will probably watch this, i'd say 7.5/10

my beef with chronicles is that, from the start, it looks like a bunch of whiny teens. Legolas was 10x more believable as an elf than these guys. Even Mr Spock does a better elf impression.

and those costumes! those plastic ears!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
TV - Lucifer
~6/10 maybe... It's really formulaic, and I feel like I'm getting played by having easy to enjoy fluff thrown at me, but I kind of liked it. It's like a box of donuts. You know you shouldn't eat them, but...

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Lucifer, episode 2

ok, so the second episode rolled in, and i would like to edit my previous vote to 6.5/10.

i still like the show; i like the actors, and the direction, and the writing. but already in S01E02, you can see the writers being desperate in trying to wrestle with that most-ludicrous-premise 2016.

it kinda went like this:

S01E01
writer n1: somehow, we got to paiR the prince of darkness with a cutesy cop!

writer n2:i have an idea, someone kills a friend of lucifer and that's why they partner up!

writer n1: great idea!

S01E02

writer n1: ok, so we need to get Lucifer and CopGirl to parter up .. again.

writer n2: errmm... have someone else get killed by someone else again?

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Lucifer, episode 2

ok, so the second episode rolled in, and i would like to edit my previous vote to 6.5/10.

i still like the show; i like the actors, and the direction, and the writing. but already in S01E02, you can see the writers being desperate in trying to wrestle with that most-ludicrous-premise 2016.

it kinda went like this:

S01E01
writer n1: somehow, we got to paid the prince of darkness with a cutesy cop!

writer n2:i have an idea, someone kills a fried of lucifer and that's why they partner up!

writer n1: great idea!

S01E02

writer n1: ok, so we need to get Lucifer and CopGirl to parter up .. again.

writer n2: errmm... have someone else get killed by someone else again?
That pretty much sums it up. And if that's really the only kind of plot they have in their bag of tricks, the show isn't going to make it. The Dresden Files and Brimstone were much better shows and were still canceled after one season. Brimstone was formulaic but the hunter had to use different strategies for different demons. Dresden was actually interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.