NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 470 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandasaurus

Aug 19, 2012
I was bored. Really really bored. I watched "Cybergeddon" on Netflix, after reading the reviews (seriously, read them). My rating:

MostEntertainingSymantecAdvertisement/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
playing it safe

Commando (1985) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088944/reference

i don't mind the mannequin soldiers and exagerated explosions, the props and the 80s vibe; Aaarnold still rocks this film in 2016.

7/10 seriously, you have never watched Commando?

but is no match for his other films - Total Recall, Predator, Conan ..

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Commando is the most Aaarnold of Aaarnold movies. It would take at least two of his other movies to equal Commando in cheesy one liners alone.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lucifer 6/10

and he is not evil. he was sent to rule over Hell by God when he rebelled against him and lost.
-> I like this twist

If this theme is already more than 500 years old and part of common knowledge via canonized literature, is it still considered "a twist"?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
If this theme is already more than 500 years old and part of common knowledge via canonized literature, is it still considered "a twist"?
Could you be more specific about the '500 years' part. Dante wrote the Inferno in the 14th century so that's more than 500 years but he was pretty clear about the devil being evil.

Anyway, I sort of like it. It's the same actor (I think) as from the canceled USA series 'Rush.' Not my favorite actor, but likable and decent.

He does have a variety of 'powers' although not all are universal. They're just not highlighted very much in the first episode.

And according the previews,
it looks as if he might be deprived of some of them due to having pissed off god for leaving hell.

The only part of the episode where he really acted out of character was
when it came to punishing the person who had killed the girl he had helped become a star. I'm pretty sure that this was meant to show that he can be completely merciless with people he thinks deserve it. So it might end up having a Dirty Harry type of vibe.

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Ip Man 3 - 5/10

Meh. Good action, but storyline is lacking, much like parts 1 and 2. I also don't like the "you're in the action" camera views of the fights, where everything is shaky. It's not as bad as say the Bourne series, but still makes you wonder what the hell is going on. Why don't directors want a steady cam anymore with action? That's what made Jackie Chan films so good. You're not in the action, you're just a spectator watching in awe at the fight scene.

Lastly, such big hype with Tyson, but I was a bit disappointed. He shows up three times in the movie in short scenes and that's it, though I wasn't expecting much from him anyway. Again, fight scenes were pretty good, but nothing memorable like The Raid 1 or 2.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Any Damages fans here? I know I'm late to the party, but it's pretty awesome. 8/10

I think I stopped it before the last season or so, but the first few seasons were awesome. Super entertaining.

Could you be more specific about the '500 years' part. Dante wrote the Inferno in the 14th century so that's more than 500 years but he was pretty clear about the devil being evil.

Anyway, I sort of like it. It's the same actor (I think) as from the canceled USA series 'Rush.' Not my favorite actor, but likable and decent.

He does have a variety of 'powers' although not all are universal. They're just not highlighted very much in the first episode.

it looks as if he might be deprived of some of them due to having pissed off god for leaving hell.

when it came to punishing the person who had killed the girl he had helped become a star. I'm pretty sure that this was meant to show that he can be completely merciless with people he thinks deserve it. So it might end up having a Dirty Harry type of vibe.

Lucifer was a bit cheesy for me and it seems dumb that it's just going to be a buddy cop show with the devil? Yeah, not sure about that. I'll watch one more though to give it a chance.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Milton created the Devil as "fallen angel/favorite son/spurned besty" with Paradise Lost. He was still the "bad guy," but certainly not evil. A far more sympathetic character.

Wait until this show has Lucifer organizing a war against daddy...if it last that long

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Lucifer was a bit cheesy for me and it seems dumb that it's just going to be a buddy cop show with the devil? Yeah, not sure about that. I'll watch one more though to give it a chance.

KT
Yeah, I should have commented on that. The buddy cop aspect was pretty stupid. And if that's the dominant theme of the show, I don't think they're going to draw the demographic that they want. I think of procedurals as drawing mainly an older audience, which may or may not be true. NCIS for example overwhelmingly has an older audience but they also draw 2-3M of the target demo. So it's about 6 or 7 to 1 for the over 49 audience to the 18-49 audience.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
oh boy, here comes the religious stuff.

Lucifer apparently was unhappy at how he was treated. He "rebelled" against god and this was, in the medieval mentality, the worst thing evah. you don't actually need to "do" anything(i.e. no war in heaven or anything like that), just the concept of rebelling is enough to get you smitten and cast out of heaven.

Basically your average 13yo kid talking back to his dad, and whoop! your sorry ass is in hell.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation - judged purely as far as action flicks go, 8/10

A little deeper than your average action flick. I enjoyed it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
fantastic four (2015) - 6/10 - wasn't as bad as i was expecting, but it was still pretty bleh. it was more of an origin story than anything though. im still wondering how they got the human torch into the room after the "accident" since he was still on fire and had been the whole time. doctor doom was pretty f'ing awesome though.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Chronicles of Shannara http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/reference

watched 10 minutes, went for a quick puke in the toilet, then turned it off.

3/10 if it looks like MTV, smells like MTV, tastes like MTV ...

Interesting...I watched 2 episodes and was mildly entertained. It's fantasy (which was unexpected) and has quite a bit of effects (which was also unexpected). Seemed like another teenager (Harry Potter, Divergent, Hunger Games) series, but it certainly isn't the worst of them (so far). Typically I would say 10 minutes isn't enough to judge anything. I too was a bit...eh...MTV...but it really isn't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.